Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess it's going to be region-free, and that means a lot for me symbolically. It's one of the reasons I've favored Sony so much ever since the PS3 launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

homeless snail posted:

Look forward to the Switch Micro

That's the third iteration. The Switch SP comes before it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Switch without the screen would be preferable to be honest.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Look forward to the Switch Micro

the vita's already out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

the vita's already out

This is exactly what I was thinking of with the TV version.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Only somewhat PS related but for some reason I bought Metal Gear Rising: Revengence on the PS3 today. I owned it way back when, and then I owned it on the PC but it has some technical problems there. Anyway, I had forgotten that in the Japanese version (the PC version is effectively the US version) cyborg blood is white. This actually makes sense story-wise since it makes Sam's death more surprising. But I guess the demand in especially North America is MORE BLOOOOOD!!!

Anyway I'd like it if that got a PS4 upgrade (though it runs at near 60fps on the PS3 already) or a sequel at some point. I'm looking forward to Nier but while I was playing the demo I was thinking about how much I liked MGRR.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 15, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

Let's not get crazy here. Nintendo has barely surpassed the PS2-era DNA style online. They haven't shown they've learned any lessons from anyone over the years and they're not going to turn into some kind of online savant overnight.

Nintendo's publishing phone apps on hardware they don't manufacture and betting their business on what's basically an Nvidia tablet with controllers stuck to the sides. There's plenty of reason to doubt their expertise in building a good online service, but they've clearly learned some lessons. If they can give up on console hardware design, maybe they can give up on friend codes.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

cyborg blood was white in Metal Gear Solid 4 as well

acksplode posted:

Nintendo's publishing phone apps on hardware they don't manufacture and betting their business on what's basically an Nvidia tablet with controllers stuck to the sides. There's plenty of reason to doubt their expertise in building a good online service, but they've clearly learned some lessons. If they can give up on console hardware design, maybe they can give up on friend codes.

from what i understand you have three separate accounts, a console account, a nintendo account, and a store account. so who knows! i am going to assume they're sticking with friend codes/the nintendo account for stuff like that but who's to say.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

cyborg blood was white in Metal Gear Solid 4 as well
They kinda went back and forth on that; there's a codec conversation talking about how cyborg blood has improved since then and I guess that could be interpreted as it was turned red.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

acksplode posted:

weird the forums ate my edit on my last post anyways as i was saying:

from what i understand you have three separate accounts, a console account, a nintendo account, and a store account. so who knows! i am going to assume they're sticking with friend codes/the nintendo account for stuff like that but who's to say

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Switch really is looking like the death knell for Nintendo hardware. The thing's approaching critical mass for gimmicks and it's got no freakin games to support it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Well, there's Zelda, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild looks really amazing.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Switch looks great. I'm buying it with Mario holiday 2017.

HOLY gently caress 1 more week and Yakuza 0.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Housh posted:

Switch looks great. I'm buying it with Mario holiday 2017.

HOLY gently caress 1 more week and Yakuza 0.
I spent so much time just doing Majima's C2 over and over again. It looks so badass.

Now that I've finished 6 and Kiwami maybe I'll go back and play 0 again.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

I spent so much time just doing Majima's C2 over and over again. It looks so badass.

Now that I've finished 6 and Kiwami maybe I'll go back and play 0 again.
I just remember watching videos of Kiryu punching dudes and yen literally flying out of their pockets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

Well, there's Zelda, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild looks really amazing.

ARMS actually looks decent too, especially with online play. Breath of the Wild is a great launch title to coast on considering its apparent size, nevermind Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in console's first six months and a new goddamn proper 3D Mario game for the first time since the first Super Mario Galaxy as a Holiday release :allears:. That's on top of whatever crops up at e3 this year for the latter-half of 2017, so that's actually a pretty drat solid lineup for a console's first year.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Legend of Zelda kind of looks weird on the Switch. In the WiiU it looks like they designed a texture and art style to compensate for the mediocre hardware whereas in the Switch they disregarded it and made everything sharper which made the bad textures stand out more. I saw a comparison video and the WiiU looked more consistent. But beyond that, the library looks barren. It's the definition of wait a few years, or into the next console's cycle to pick it up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

True, i'll wait and see where the Switch is in a year. I can't afford one anyways because you have to buy not just the system, but a SD card (you're going to need a real big one if not multiple), and you're going to really want the new Pro controller that Nintendo made.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sega plz let me spend lots of money on glorious Yakuza games on the PS4 thank you and god bless

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sega plz let me spend lots of money on glorious Yakuza games on the PS4 thank you and god bless

Two games this year, one in early 2018.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

True, i'll wait and see where the Switch is in a year. I can't afford one anyways because you have to buy not just the system, but a SD card (you're going to need a real big one if not multiple), and you're going to really want the new Pro controller that Nintendo made.

wait does it not come with memory? lmao every single thing I hear about this thing reinforces the vita comparison, it's incredible

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Manatee Cannon posted:

wait does it not come with memory? lmao every single thing I hear about this thing reinforces the vita comparison, it's incredible

It has a 32 gig internal storage and takes Micro SD up to 128 gigs, so I can drop like $50 and get the max storage as opposed to Vita which charged me like $100 for 64.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Manatee Cannon posted:

32gb of internal storage but thats not gonna cut it obviously

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

32GB really won't cut it when you realize that the major Nintendo games are gonna be big. Breath of the Wild is something like 14 right out of the gate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

It has a 32 gig internal storage and takes Micro SD up to 128 gigs, so I can drop like $50 and get the max storage as opposed to Vita which charged me like $100 for 64.

rabidsquid posted:

32gb of internal storage but thats not gonna cut it obviously

oh ok, so it's a current vita and not a launch vita that came with literally no way to save your game

the price in memory has just shifted over to the peripherals

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

e; awful post

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 17, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Playstation 4: Let's talk about the Switch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, until they release Knack on PS+ at least, so for the next 2 weeks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

No, you can get a 256GB supposedly. Samsung makes these but they are $150 - $200.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, PS3 controllers need a data connection with the PS3 to charge (or some other kind of approved charging cradle). Somehow I never knew that.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Playstation 4: Let's talk about the Playstation 3

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, PS3 controllers need a data connection with the PS3 to charge (or some other kind of approved charging cradle). Somehow I never knew that.

Playstation 4: Let's talk about the Playstation 3

I think just a data connection period, not necessarily 'approved', if that makes sense? I charge my PS3 controller off my xbone typically.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I said come in! posted:

No, you can get a 256GB supposedly. Samsung makes these but they are $150 - $200.

Oh you're right, just looked it up and it takes 256 but man after Vita there's no way I'm shelling out that much again for a memory card anytime soon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think just a data connection period, not necessarily 'approved', if that makes sense? I charge my PS3 controller off my xbone typically.
It wouldn't charge when I plugged it into my PS4...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Oh you're right, just looked it up and it takes 256 but man after Vita there's no way I'm shelling out that much again for a memory card anytime soon.

I'm just glad that it's any SD card you want. Sony making an exclusive memory slot really hurt the Vita.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

I'm just glad that it's any SD card you want. Sony making an exclusive memory slot really hurt the Vita.
It wasn't exactly exclusive at the time, it was shared with other Sony devices like camcorders and stuff. I guess they all gave up on it and went to SD cards though and only the Vita is left.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

they're going to give the people what they want and raise the price of the DS4 $20 and give us ps1 games that expire after a month

considering the quality of PS+ lately they might as well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

Well, until they release Knack on PS+ at least, so for the next 2 weeks.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 15, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

It wasn't exactly exclusive at the time, it was shared with other Sony devices like camcorders and stuff. I guess they all gave up on it and went to SD cards though and only the Vita is left.

no that's the psp. vita had its own thing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Trico's AI sounds similar to Hewie from Haunting Ground. I remember that first you had to spend a little time training him and then after that, he would follow your commands about 90% of the time.

That was a pretty creepy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Samurai Sanders posted:

Most Sony stuff used various forms of Memory Stick until the Vita (their new high-end stuff uses yet another format and the lower stuff uses various forms of SD card).