Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

How did you strip it?

What oil are you using?

What temp are you seasoning at?

It sounds like too much oil or not w
Enough temp/time.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've come to the conclusion that my irons are always going to have a little too much oil and grease and bits of burnt food crap left over after I clean, and come to accept that because gently caress it I use the things every other day anyway.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Which is perfectly fine once you get a decent base seasoning.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

my turn in the barrel posted:

How did you strip it?

What oil are you using?

What temp are you seasoning at?

It sounds like too much oil or not w
Enough temp/time.

Two rounds of Easy Off in a trash bag and steel scrubbers, followed by a rub of vinegar

Canola oil

400° F for 30 minutes, then turning off the oven and letting sit for a couple hours

My guess is it needs more stripping on top of whatever else I'm doing wrong, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble when I could just buy a lodge for like thirty bucks

Edit: I mean c'mon

Friend fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 2, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I also want to say whoever decided to put not one but two cheapass smoke alarms next to the kitchen in this apartment sucks

I mean I know why they did it but god drat. Covering them up so I can cook without irritating the poo poo out of myself, the cat and the neighbors is a safety problem, there are no others anywhere even close! And they're too high up to put up and take down the cover every time. Grumble mutter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Friend posted:

Two rounds of Easy Off in a trash bag and steel scrubbers, followed by a rub of vinegar

Canola oil

400° F for 30 minutes, then turning off the oven and letting sit for a couple hours

My guess is it needs more stripping on top of whatever else I'm doing wrong, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble when I could just buy a lodge for like thirty bucks

Holy moly.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I'd guess too much oil and not enough sustained heat to properly polymerize the oil.

I've bought pots that looked like your picture. Here's what I'd try:

1) Scrub well with soap, hot water, and a green abrasive pad / pot scrubber.

2) Rinse well in hot water, towel dry and place in 250 degree oven to heat and finish drying.

3) Carefully take the warm pot out of the oven and use a rag or paper towel to apply a thin coating of oil. Just make it shiny, not drippy.

4) Place the pot back in the oven upside down. This helps prevent hot oil from puddling in the bottom.

5) Bake @250 for an hour, raise to 350 for another hour, raise to 400 or the smoke point of the oil and bake for another hour.

6) Turn off oven and allow to cool to 250. Repeat as necessary until you get the coating you desire.

On a new piece I do a couple of cycles of this using bacon grease then just loving cook in it.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Friend posted:

Canola oil

Looks like too much oil on a cold pan. If you preheat the pan to 200 before oiling all the excess will run off.

Also flax or sunflower are much better oils for seasoning with than canola.

I've posted lots of seasoning info in the thread if you want to review them.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694651&userid=129732

This is a concise guide.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

Don't get discouraged, my first cast iron set was a chinese 3pan+dutch oven set I found new in box on a curb. Whoever tossed it had let it get humid and the pans were slightly rusty. I cleaned them up and followed the instructions in this book that my mom had gotten me.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Survival-Guide-Lora-Brody/dp/0688105874

They said to slather on vegetable shortening and bake. It turned out just as bad if not worse than yours. Grab some sunflower and follow the instructions in the link and you'll have much better results.

You may want to scrape/strip what you already have on there off and start again so the seasoning is level.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I've come to the conclusion that my irons are always going to have a little too much oil and grease and bits of burnt food crap left over after I clean, and come to accept that because gently caress it I use the things every other day anyway.

This person has reached cast iron nirvana. Congratulations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A properly seasoned pan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkTcnjqUlmg

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I keep trying to do an omelette in my smaller pan but just one little piece keeps sticking on the fold and turns the whole thing inevitably into a hot mess (or scrambled eggs if I think fast enough) :(

Couple more rounds of seasoning I guess

(e) That said I tried an omelette without any cheese just to check and that worked fine, I guess it's the melted cheese that's sticking rather than the eggs. Which makes more sense to me, season or no

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

Canola oil

Good god. Is the inside enameled or something? And that is entirely too much oil. Wipe it on, wipe it all off. The surface should be shiny but not show any hint of depth or thickness to the oil. Preheating the pan a little before you wipe the oil on is good because it thins the oil.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Friend posted:

Canola oil

:stonklol:

Clean cycle.

Less oil.

More prayer.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

fuckin right :thurman:

the last time someone posted one of these videos the eggs were drowning in oil and I said to myself "well no poo poo it's nonstick, you have a few tablespoons of oil in there..."

but you sir, you nailed it

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
So I've been seasoning my pan with flaxseed oil, starting to get nice and smooth. But I have a fuckton of flaxseed oil! I know it goes rancid easier than others, so is it still a good oil to use for a rubdown post-cleaning? I guess if I wait for the oil to smoke on the stovetop then I don't have to worry, but just wanted to see if anyone had done this prior.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Keep it in the fridge and AIUI (and hope) it keeps a long time.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Keep it in the fridge and AIUI (and hope) it keeps a long time.

Sorry, I meant on the pan itself. I am properly storing it in the fridge, but when the oil is rubbed on the pan after cleaning, that's my question.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Azn Sensation posted:

Sorry, I meant on the pan itself. I am properly storing it in the fridge, but when the oil is rubbed on the pan after cleaning, that's my question.

How often do you use your pan? Once every few months?

Make sure you store your pan in the fridge between cook sessions, too. If you don't, it might turn to dust overnight.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 6, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I got my big 13" pan, first thing I did was strip it with the self-clean and then season it half a dozen times with flaxseed oil. So far so good, my mom wants me to bring it tomorrow for its inaugural cook with birthday steaks :3:

I also got an 11 pound turkey just before Christmas which is still in my freezer. I've never cooked one before and I know very little about it. I was thinking of cooking it next Friday night (I'd start the thaw Wednesday morning).

I got a vertical turkey roaster so I was going to stand it up on that, in the big pan, in the oven. Does this sound like a good idea, or is there a problem with this plan? Will the drippings in the pan be viable for a gravy?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Assuming you are thawing in the fridge I would start on monday or tuesday at the latest. You may also want to brine/inject beforehand. You might want to try the general question thread for more turkey info.

Last few turkeys I have done I've injected a mix of beer, butter, onion, garlic and worchestershire. Yes, that's what goes in chex mix. Yes, it's awesome in a turkey.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I figured I should ask elsewhere too, but didn't see a turkey thread in particular. Anyway, just wanted to make sure that this is a good use of the cast iron, and that there's no problem using it this way.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ask in general questions or just start a new thread. IMO we have too many megathreads and chat threads and not enough little "here's what I'm doing, what do you think" threads.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Okay, so this application of the cast iron doesn't seem to be a problem. Got it, thanks.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Friend posted:

Canola oil

Are you sure you didn't grab the 10w40 by mistake?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

this is actually a pretty concise vid about taking care of cast iron without obsessing over the perfect seasoning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLGSLCaksdY

can anyone identify the type of burner they are using underneath it, like in the shots where they sear steak and scallions? my biggest complaint about my cast iron is that it does tend to form hot spots, and i have a lovely electric stovetop. It looks like they might be using a portable induction cooktop, if those exist?

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 12, 2017

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I don't know about that particular one but portable induction cooktops a definitely a thing. I have this one and it works great. It has a glass top but it hasn't been a problem in the two years that I've been using it.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I'm angry at you for posting that because previously I had no idea how badly I needed an induction cooktop. Damnit my cupboards are already full :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seriously.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if the one I have stopped working. I read through some of the reviews and it reminded of one drawback,

Amazon Reviewer posted:

Levels 1 and 2 are advertised as 200W and 500W--they achieve the lower levels by cycling the power to the coil on and off at 1000W, which makes it impossible to maintain a slow boil/simmer when cooking things like rice and pasta.

I wouldn't say it's impossible but it is something to be aware of. I think a heavy cast iron pan helps smooth out the affect of the power cycles. I don't cook rice or pasta very often but I don't have any trouble when I do.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Been looking through amazon for a little bit and cant find one that says it will heat a 12" pan evenly across the whole pan, which would be the main reason I'd want one. Are the reviews on crack, or is this an unreasonable ask? Can anyone recommend one that will?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

a 12" portable burner is pretty drat big. Maybe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A1H33FA/ref=psdc_13397451_t2_B00DP6BJE2

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That new grill pan I got for Christmas has a crack in it. Lodge is sending me a new one and told me to dispose of this cracked one. Just curious if there's any way to fix it? Here's a picture and yes, the crack does go through to the other side:

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 13, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No, unless you have some sort of torch that can get up to 2800°F

Throw it away. It's dangerous.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

That new grill pan I got for Christmas has a crack in it. Lodge is sending me a new one and told me to dispose of this cracked one. Just curious if there's any way to fix it? Here's a picture and yes, the crack does go through to the other side:

If you know a guy who can braze it up with brass rod, then yes, it's salvageable. If not, then no.

e. if you mean, fix it at home? Probably not, unless you're already a metalworker. The crack will have to be ground out, then brazed with oxyacetylene using brass rod and borax, then ground back into profile and refinished with a flap wheel. Not typical home equipment.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 13, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Got a welder? Probably not worth fixing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Think of it this way: is it worth the risk of loving up a repair job you've never done before and having a cast iron pan crack while you're cooking and spilling 400° oil on you because you wanted to get a free $20 pan

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm giving it to a friend of mine who is a professional metalworker, if he can fix it he gets a free pan - but he's smart enough to know if it's fixed or not.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Booyah- posted:

can anyone identify the type of burner they are using underneath it, like in the shots where they sear steak and scallions? my biggest complaint about my cast iron is that it does tend to form hot spots, and i have a lovely electric stovetop. It looks like they might be using a portable induction cooktop, if those exist?

I have cheap 8" Salton portable unit I picked up on sale because my wife won't allow cast iron on our glass cooktop. (It was easier than arguing.)

Preheating like the video suggests is important, otherwise the heat is concentrated in two rings. Get it up to temperature before the food goes in and it works fine. The 10" frying pan is a bit big on it, but still works with preheating. Overall I prefer it to the resistance cooktops for smaller pans. There's always the barbecue if I need the 15" skillet.

Good video, but I don't agree with her about making tomato sauce in cast iron. Works for me, every week. :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there such a thing as a portable induction unit that'll handle 15" of cast iron? I'm getting tired of trying (and failing) to deal with hotspots while making bacon or steaks or whatever on the gas burner. You'd think moving things about would be enough :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Is there such a thing as a portable induction unit that'll handle 15" of cast iron? I'm getting tired of trying (and failing) to deal with hotspots while making bacon or steaks or whatever on the gas burner. You'd think moving things about would be enough :saddowns:

The nuwaves come pretty highly recommended among my circle. I mean, only one person I know owns it, but she loves it. I think hers was a Gold or somesuch. This one here is likely the largest there is. Even so, the heating unit is still only around 9" - and beyond 11" of pan you'll get some moderate to great uneven heating.
https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-Titan...P7XP6SHEESAVJTP

Cast Iron will always heat unevenly on an induction if it's larger than the heating area it's resting on - no matter how slowly or long you heat it (within reason). Allclad tri-ply will heat perfectly, pretty much no matter the size differentials.
I think you probably need to buy a commercial unit, or just use your 15 inch pan as like a weird flat wok, where the hot spot is in the middle and the outer edges are variably heated.

With that big of a pan, your burn units are likely way too small. Try heating it up in the oven before you use it on the stovetop. Otherwise, I'm afraid to say size does definitely matter when it comes to your burners.

I'd actually suggest you buy a cast iron skillet (I don't know what they're called, the long thing that you cook lots of pancakes on) and lay it across two burners to try and even the heat out.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 15, 2017