Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm really glad they decided not to bleep or silence Pyrce's exasperation of not even looking at the offer in the envelope as it really accentuated the change in tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

whowhatwhere posted:

It's the dumbest possible show in the best way.

Subtitled babies are always a winner.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

radical meme posted:

I thought the premiere of Taboo was great. If the rest is equally interesting then it will be a wonderful show. I really like Hardy; I think he can say more with a grunt and a shrug than most actors can with an entire dialogue.
I felt the same way. I think that review is way off...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Qmass posted:

I felt the same way. I think that review is way off...

I thought there were definite humorous moments in there too, like the part where he steals the pennies from his father's eyes and then next scene you see him putting them in the church's poorbox.

Edit: Also apparently despite calling it a "Limited Series" EP Stephen Knight is saying that the show will have a second season.

Anyway, turns out that the weird casting of Joseph Fiennes as Michael Jackson will come to naught as Sky Arts has announced they're shelving his episode of "Urban Myths."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm losing my mind about how good Series of Unfortunate Events was

Waiting a year for more is gonna be torture

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm annoyed that (from what I read) the release of Series of Unfortunate Events isn't in HDR with this initial release. I held off on watching Luke Cage until Netflix updated it to HDR and was really glad I did since it really helped the atmosphere. It seems like something heavily stylized like this could really benefit, but I don't know if I can hold off on this one though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

I think the problem is that some episodes just fall completely flat. For instance, I liked both the wedding episode from last season and last weeks episode but the others around them fall between mediocre and boring. The writers are way too obsessed with twists and the directors over-complicate everything for the purposes of visual gimmicks. My favorite Sherlock episode is ironically the pilot and by that I don't mean the first episode. They re-shot the pilot with a higher budget and it actually became worse and more contrived despite having veritably the same actors and script.

It's frustrating to watch because the show clearly could be a lot better than it is if it'd just get its head out of its rear end.

Thanks for the reasonable response! That's more or less how I feel about the show, honestly, and yeah I loved the wedding episode.

e: I'm only 10 minutes into Lemony Snicket and holy poo poo this is the best

precision fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 13, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress this Snicket show is so good

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Good in what way? Good like in the way goons were losing their poo poo over the headless horsemen using a machine gun, or something else?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

What the gently caress this Snicket show is so good

Ok what is up with you guys? What is this show?

I remember a movie of it coming out that looked bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that movie sucked but the first ep of this show is super good. It's based on an apparently popular children's book series that I never read but if the adaptations I've seen are anything to go by it has a pretty fun sense of humour.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

Ok what is up with you guys? What is this show?

I remember a movie of it coming out that looked bad.

Read the OP of my thread, it tells you everything you need to know about what this is and where it came from.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804363

Short version it's a Netflix show based on a fantastic series of books that I loved as a teenager, that was adapted into an awful movie years ago, and is now finally being adapted into a TV show that is excellent.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah that movie sucked but the first ep of this show is super good. It's based on an apparently popular children's book series that I never read but if the adaptations I've seen are anything to go by it has a pretty fun sense of humour.

Yeah the books were pretty great. Especially once the underlying story and conspiracies get going.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BSam posted:

Especially once the underlying story and conspiracies get going.

And the show just brings that poo poo in from minute one, it's cool

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

And the show just brings that poo poo in from minute one, it's cool

Yup

Also having grown up with the books, from late high school at least, I'd love some kind of behind the scenes special in the vein of the Unauthorised Autobiography.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
End of episode 1 is 5 stars

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

End of episode 1 is 5 stars
loving hell, 3 & 4. Deserve every award NPH.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lemony Snicket is already in the running for best show of 2017, it's actually insane just how good it is. I never read the books but I probably will now.

e: When two of the people saying it's good are the two people who kept telling you not to sleep on Rectify you best listen!

precision fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 14, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was really excited for it based on the trailers since I'd never heard of it before that, but I didn't really care for the first episode at all.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ugh that show sounds terrible but like 80℅ of my posts in this thread are about how amazing Rectify is so you picked the right lever to get me to think about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Ugh that show sounds terrible but like 80℅ of my posts in this thread are about how amazing Rectify is so you picked the right lever to get me to think about it.

It literally has no correlation to Rectify at all. I'm not even sure why that was brought up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All I learned in this thread is that Lemony Snicket is good but no actual reason

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It gives me a very Terry Gilliam vibe - along the tone of Time Bandits or Baron Munchausen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

All I learned in this thread is that Lemony Snicket is good but no actual reason

It is well acted, written and directed as well as having really good production values.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Did you like Pushing Daisies? Barry Sonnenfeld, who directed the pilot for that show and set the tone for it, directed half the episodes of Lemony Snicket and brought a lot of the same whimsical design theory to it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw the pilot for pushing daisies and didn't like it because it was a ripoff of Amelie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's based on a series of children's books that are equal parts whimsical and morbid, about a family of children whose parents were killed in a fire as they run from scenario to scenario where their uncle is trying to murder them for their inheritance and no adults will listen to them.

There's a bit more to it than that but that's the basic plotline.

There was a movie like 10 years ago starring Jim Carrey as the murderous uncle that covers roughly the first three books, but I didn't think it was that great.

DivisionPost posted:

Did you like Pushing Daisies? Barry Sonnenfeld, who directed the pilot for that show and set the tone for it, directed half the episodes of Lemony Snicket and brought a lot of the same whimsical design theory to it.

Pushing Daisies was, in turn, very clearly inspired in narration by the Lemony Snicket books.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 14, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Amazon.com says that Taboo is a documentary.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Amazon.com says that Taboo is a documentary.

They might be mixing it up with the Nat Geo show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

They might be mixing it up with the Nat Geo show.

Ah, then it's the reviewers who are confused. It says it's a nat geo documentary about vodou and witchcraft but all the reviews talk about Tom Hardy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

X-O posted:

It literally has no correlation to Rectify at all. I'm not even sure why that was brought up.

The person was establishing their credentials as someone with good taste and I at least appreciated that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm too busy watching Versailles, my new pretty pictures to look at after a draining work day show.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I didn't say anything about Sherlock because when I saw the discussion basically everything I thought relevant had already been said, but I have just recently discovered that there was a special episode for New Year 2016 (The Abominable Bride). And I just now watched it. And good lord, I feel like puking. It's the cheesiest, dumbest, most transparently commercial "feminist" story I have seen in a long loving time, interspersed with tons of gratuitious fancy-sounding over-acted-to-poo poo dialogue between inconsistent characters with the depth of puddles (those words could also be said of regular Sherlock but *this is worse*). I usually manage to still enjoy the Sherlock episodes on some level but this was beyond garbage. Stay away.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Now I'm rewatching seasons 1-3 of That 70's Show because I started my rewatch on 4 and wow Laura Prepon cannot keep a straight face in any of her scenes

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dancer posted:

I didn't say anything about Sherlock because when I saw the discussion basically everything I thought relevant had already been said, but I have just recently discovered that there was a special episode for New Year 2016 (The Abominable Bride). And I just now watched it. And good lord, I feel like puking. It's the cheesiest, dumbest, most transparently commercial "feminist" story I have seen in a long loving time, interspersed with tons of gratuitious fancy-sounding over-acted-to-poo poo dialogue between inconsistent characters with the depth of puddles (those words could also be said of regular Sherlock but *this is worse*). I usually manage to still enjoy the Sherlock episodes on some level but this was beyond garbage. Stay away.

I'm sorry, what?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So between the Netflix Unfortunate Events show and this New Yorker article about the rise of nostalgia for MCR/Green Day style pop-punk, I fear we have arrived at the time when the pop culture of the early 2000s rears its ugly head again

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
We survived pop-punk once, we can survive it again. My condolences to those who lose loved ones to terrible, terrible music.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Liked the first episode of UNFORTUNATE EVENTS. Though I feel like they should've held off on that final scene for another few episodes. It kind of undercuts the tension.

Also shout out to ARROW for having Oliver massively gently caress up, but immediately own up to it and the other characters acknowledging that its not his fault.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i love pop-punk so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

i love pop-punk so bad