Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

"In the case of IllFonic and Star Marine, this 'winding down' and 'transitioning' has been in progress as IllFonic's part in FPS is coming to a close. And with the increased responsibilities for Star Marine development now sitting in Frankfurt and Manchester, we can assure our backers that they'll be able to play Star Marine in the very near future." -2015

:downs:

But, really, I was being serious. If this can't be answered, when the hell did Open Development start?

An assurance is not a promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

Looking around the net I am learning more and more that nobody actually cares about Star Citizen. The most that is written about it must be this thread and the official forums that must just be filled with a few people discussing DREAMS.

Where do they even get the money from? Are these few remaining players really putting up tens of thousands a year individually? I am filled with a sad.

It has a tremendous following for an unreleased in dev game from a rookie studio. The most ever in fact.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sillybones posted:

Looking around the net I am learning more and more that nobody actually cares about Star Citizen. The most that is written about it must be this thread and the official forums that must just be filled with a few people discussing DREAMS.

Where do they even get the money from? Are these few remaining players really putting up tens of thousands a year individually? I am filled with a sad.

All of the advanced tech that CIG has developed such as meshy instance, procedural planet generation, and sentient AI, is all being sold to other companies for a lot of money and it's the reason why CIG already has enough money to complete Star Citizen and will never have to charge a prescription fee to maintain the servers or develop Star Citizen 2 which will allow you to import your Star Citizen character and retain all of your stuff. *breathes in but passes out anyway*

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Amazon has also invested big moneys on Star Citizen, since they need CIG's precious fidelity code and 64bit precision to enhance Lumberyard.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

It has a tremendous following for an unreleased in dev game from a rookie studio. The most ever in fact.

Minecraft has it beat.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gawain The Blind posted:

I kind of hate how "fidelity" has become a SC buzzword.

audiophile spotted

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Game development is a constant learning process. Its not like riding a bike. Also people can just misspeak. He was playing a videogame at the same time and his brain thought "next patch" and 2.7 blurted out instead of the more complex 2.6.1.

Y'all are reaching.

shut up assrapistdude420

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Decrepus posted:

All of the advanced tech that CIG has developed such as meshy instance, procedural planet generation, and sentient AI, is all being sold to other companies for a lot of money and it's the reason why CIG already has enough money to complete Star Citizen and will never have to charge a prescription fee to maintain the servers or develop Star Citizen 2 which will allow you to import your Star Citizen character and retain all of your stuff. *breathes in but passes out anyway*

Quickly, someone refill this man's nipples with oxygen!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Astroniomix posted:

Minecraft has it beat.

Minecraft is a released game.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

AbstractNapper posted:

Amazon has also invested big moneys on Star Citizen, since they need CIG's precious fidelity code and 64bit precision to enhance Lumberyard.

I'm excited to see how Amazon network engineers work with CIG on building the netcode. Should be an amazing collab with TZ and them.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

shut up assrapistdude420

Is there a problem?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I'm excited to see how Amazon network engineers work with CIG on building the netcode. Should be an amazing collab with TZ and them.

You gave away your gimmick way too soon. Waste of an account imho.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Minecraft is a released game.

It had a bigger following than SC even before it was released.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

I noticed I got banned for 6 hours yesterday because I sarcastically replied to someone who was being rude to me and the game.

Are you saying I'm not going to be allowed to post here?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I noticed I got banned for 6 hours yesterday because I sarcastically replied to someone who was being rude to me and the game.

Are you saying I'm not going to be allowed to post here?

I'm suggesting that no-one exists that is as stupid as you are while still being able to successfully enter the digits of a credit card into the computer.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Nope.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

I'm suggesting that no-one exists that is as stupid as you are while still being able to successfully enter the digits of a credit card into the computer.

Theres no need to be so hostile. If you take issue to something I said I'd be willing to calmly discuss this with you.

I fully understand passion but this is just negative energy lashing out. If you want to have passion it should be about something constructive. Like I'm passionate about RPGs and I can discuss these all day long.

You seem to be passionate about(or against in this case)...someone being happy about the progress of videogame development.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 15, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Theres no need to be so hostile. If you take issue to something I said I'd be willing to calmly discuss this with you.

I fully understand passion but this is just negative energy lashing out. If you want to have passion it should be about something constructive. Like I'm passionate about RPGs and I can discuss these all day long.

You seem to be passionate about(or against in this case)...someone being happy about the progress of videogame development.

Sillybones posted:

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Star Citizen: Some goons don't get it

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Is your 'gimmick' simply trolling?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

mrchinchin25 posted:

Star Citizen: Some goons don't get it

I mean a lot of goons are heavy backers. Didn't one of the mods only just get a refund for hundreds of dollars?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TrustmeImLegit posted:

What are some of your favourite RPGs? I always like the look of them but because I never really got into them much it's all a bit daunting.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

audiophile spotted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fJmmDkvQyc

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

What are some of your favourite RPGs? I always like the look of them but because I never really got into them much it's all a bit daunting.

The KOTOR games on the original Xbox is what first got me into them.

The Witcher series is probably my favorite recent ones though. And I love all the Dragon Age games.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TrustmeImLegit posted:

The KOTOR games on the original Xbox is what first got me into them.

The Witcher series is probably my favorite recent ones though. And I love all the Dragon Age games.

I keep almost buying the witcher 3 but never do as it seems too daunting, I'm not sure I have the time to invest into it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Do you think CIG has a Squadron 42 commercial yet? I think they've probably made one (or more), but it's so bad that they scrapped it.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

I keep almost buying the witcher 3 but never do as it seems too daunting, I'm not sure I have the time to invest into it

I'm not a huge fan of the combat system to be honest. I just love the game world so I play on super easy mode. Its a beautiful wonderfully made game so I have to make myself play it for that reason.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the combat system to be honest. I just love the game world so I play on super easy mode. Its a beautiful wonderfully made game so I have to make myself play it for that reason.

I really enjoy games like that when you are just free to wonder around seeing the sites, is it good for this? It's a big part of why I love GTA5 so much, I can just load it up and set off exploring with no worries.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

I really enjoy games like that when you are just free to wonder around seeing the sites, is it good for this? It's a big part of why I love GTA5 so much, I can just load it up and set off exploring with no worries.

Its free roam in the sense that you complete various maps. Like Dragon Age inquisition, although you do sort of do em in order.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Its free roam in the sense that you complete various maps. Like Dragon Age inquisition, although you do sort of do em in order.

I've never played Dragon Age inquisition so can not compare it, but thank you for taking the time to offer your witcher 3 recommendation.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

I've never played Dragon Age inquisition so can not compare it, but thank you for taking the time to offer your witcher 3 recommendation.

Any time. Thank you for being one of the nice people in a prickly thread. o7

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 15, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I think I missed out on my chance to have a pleasant conversation.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

I think I missed out on my chance to have a pleasant conversation.

I know its the internet and everything but it doesn't always have to be adversarial. Theres no reason to feel threatened by someone liking something you don't like.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Basically Witcher 3 has a few extremely large zones you travel within that aren't directly connected.

It's still definitely a fun game world to ecolire.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

celewign posted:

Rex Ryan has taught me that anyone who brings their brother to work with them is a loving retard.

:lol:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I know its the internet and everything but it doesn't always have to be adversarial. Theres no reason to feel threatened by someone liking something you don't like.

No one is threatened by Star Citizen. Dreams are pleasant things, and are also non-refundable.

Star Citizen is a cactus field, where delirious commandos hack at those prickly growths with blunted machetes, declaring that water lurked somewhere between the pain, agony and heatstroke.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Tophat posted:

No one is threatened by Star Citizen.
[quote="Sillybones" post="468377723"]

Sillybones posted:

Sillybones posted:

shut up assrapistdude420

Just from the last page and simply responding to me saying I'm excited about the game. I got even worse yesterday. I even got banned by one of the mods.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I mean a lot of goons are heavy backers. Didn't one of the mods only just get a refund for hundreds of dollars?

One of the reasons why the people in this thread are so resentful of the project is that pretty much everyone here believed in it in the past. There was a time where the goons had the largest "fleet" in the game.

We believed in the game until it became clear that we were being lied to, tricked into giving money to fund an egotist's voyage of discovery to find out that actually he's not a genius or even particularly visionary.

It's ironic that the continued support of a minority of backers makes us angry at their stupidity, because without them we wouldn't have been able to get almost all of our money refunded. $300,000+ has been refunded to just the people on this site.

I guess it's only fair that we try our best to discourage people from spending more money on the game. Every time they do, they pay money directly into the pockets of people who are smart enough to get a refund. Eventually, probably within the next 12 months, the funding is going to stop and so will the refunds. When that happens, there are going to be a large group of backers left holding the bag - the least we can do is discourage everyone we encounter from being in that group.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Just from the last page and simply responding to me saying I'm excited about the game. I got even worse yesterday. I even got banned by one of the mods.

You'll live, feel free to respond to only those that you want to respond to.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 15, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TrustmeImLegit posted:

It's a sickening and awful truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

One of the reasons why the people in this thread are so resentful of the project is that pretty much everyone here believed in it in the past. There was a time where the goons had the largest "fleet" in the game.

We believed in the game until it became clear that we were being lied to, tricked into giving money to fund an egotist's voyage of discovery to find out that actually he's not a genius or even particularly visionary.

It's ironic that the continued support of a minority of backers makes us angry at their stupidity, because without them we wouldn't have been able to get almost all of our money refunded. $300,000+ has been refunded to just the people on this site.

I guess it's only fair that we try our best to discourage people from spending more money on the game. Every time they do, they pay money directly into the pockets of people who are smart enough to get a refund. Eventually, probably within the next 12 months the funding is going to stop and so will the refunds. When that happens, there are going to be a large group of backers left holding the bag - the least we can do is discourage everyone we encounter from being in that group.

You'll live, feel free to respond to only those that you want to respond to.

I can't change how people feel and its unfortunate many of you feel that way. I was just countering the assertion that "nobody here is threatened by the game". There clearly is some bad blood here.

Some people feel like their decision to get a refund or the opinions they've made many posts on for years will be invalidated if anything even remotely positive comes out of the star citizen community. Its a classic sunk cost fallacy.

Its why we get so many kneejerk posts. Like someone posts a tweet "Star Citizen is shaping up to be a great game" and like 3 people trip over themselves to say "its not a game smug"