Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I actually know what the mom is doing- she's trying to bury the food in that box so as not to attract other cats or predators. Most cats who've lived 100% of the time with people don't usually do that because they feel safe about leaving food out, but sometimes cats who've lived outdoors or spent some time feral will try to bury leftover food. I'd imagine also that having a litter of kittens could be sending that protection instinct into overdrive as well, causing the incessant drive to bury food that can't be buried. Taking the food away when she starts to bury it will probably get her to stop, and then you can always put the bowls right back when she leaves the area so it's there for her when she comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Marchegiana posted:

I actually know what the mom is doing- she's trying to bury the food in that box so as not to attract other cats or predators. Most cats who've lived 100% of the time with people don't usually do that because they feel safe about leaving food out, but sometimes cats who've lived outdoors or spent some time feral will try to bury leftover food. I'd imagine also that having a litter of kittens could be sending that protection instinct into overdrive as well, causing the incessant drive to bury food that can't be buried. Taking the food away when she starts to bury it will probably get her to stop, and then you can always put the bowls right back when she leaves the area so it's there for her when she comes back.

Yeah. I made that comment in the video. I fixed it by putting some paper towels in the box with her, she'll cover up the food with them. Sometimes I forget though.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
You've maybe just explained why my Charlotte scratches around the food dishes. I was always like "The litter box is not even close lady" but she may be manifesting some latent instincts. 'Cause god knows she's never lived on the streets.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Marchegiana posted:

Yeah my cat does this too and she spent at least a year and raised a litter in a city park. It gets annoying when I hear the bowl get scraped across the floor in the middle of the night

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah my cat does this too and she spent at least a year and raised a litter in a city park. It gets annoying when I hear the bowl get scraped across the floor in the middle of the night

Seriously, just drop some paper towels by the food. Especially if it's dry it, it won't be a hassle at all and will make kitty much more secure.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
My cat does this too - she used to drag my kitchen mat across the floor to cover up her leftover food. Then I gave her a dish towel and now she carefully covers her bowl with it. :3: I adopted her when she was about a year old so I have no idea if she was ever a stray/food insecure cat. It might just be instinctual; I think big/wild cats do it too.

Also this is the best thread. Thank you for always brightening up my day!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish Misty had been that neat with her food, instead she'd try to pick up bits of meat with her paw so she could nibble at it human-style, lose control of it, and then somehow fling it across the room and leave it there.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Good morning everyone! Have a cute--if not relatively uneventful--update from the foster room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvVUHkZG6Xw

Awwwwsome video! The background sound of Mom trying to bury the food the entire time had me laughing.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

One of mine does the burying thing but never anywhere near her food dish. She just goes to town if you give her a box or a bowl. We call it "digging to China" because she's so determined about it. I think she just likes the sound her claws make on plastic/cardboard.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

mistaya posted:

One of mine does the burying thing but never anywhere near her food dish. She just goes to town if you give her a box or a bowl. We call it "digging to China" because she's so determined about it. I think she just likes the sound her claws make on plastic/cardboard.

She could just have trouble finding suitable scratching opportunities around the house.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Foster kitty update video, good times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIobF3slfYs

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Geki was SUPER into that video. Haven't seen her cock her head so much at YouTube before. I think she likes babies.

I like these babies, too. :kimchi:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love the kitten thing where they stomp across a room like that :3:

thanks for all the videos of these cuties

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Chili posted:

Tiny squeaks :kimchi:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

McDragon posted:

I love the kitten thing where they stomp across a room like that :3:

With that pointy little tail stock straight as hell. SO DETERMINED

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chili posted:

This made me feel much better on a lovely morning, thank you. :)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I love the pastel kittens :kimchi:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
My first instructional video! (still has kittens being adorable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGhy8MKtR-4

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

:five:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Chili posted:

My first instructional video! (still has kittens being adorable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGhy8MKtR-4

i have died of cuteness, also your voice sounds super familiar

also lol at 4:00 where you just pickin up random kittems haha

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYI8OTLca9o&t=40s

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
I was bored at work, my apologies.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
We had some work done on our house and the door didn't close all the way when Katdicks went to work this morning.

Butterscotch decided to send me into coronary and disappeared.

Fortunately, he only got as far as the neighbors yard.

That dumb, big, fat, bear is gonna turn my hair gray.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Chili posted:

We had some work done on our house and the door didn't close all the way when Katdicks went to work this morning.

Butterscotch decided to send me into coronary and disappeared.

Fortunately, he only got as far as the neighbors yard.

That dumb, big, fat, bear is gonna turn my hair gray.

Post gray hair and butterscotch once your pulse returns to normal

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Where's the criminal's mugshot?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

But I thought Butterscotch hated getting too far away from the house? MAKE UP YOUR MIND, CAT

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

He only went the neighbours because he was driven by starvation, obviously. Chili has shrunk him down to a Margarinescotch and he's just trying to keep his folds vast and velvety.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Radio! posted:

But I thought Butterscotch hated getting too far away from the house? MAKE UP YOUR MIND, CAT

Well, it was only the neighbor's yard.

And here's the culprit:

And some foster shots:

Grizzly:

Gummi:

We give THIS MANY FUCKS about your personal space:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yup, that's a guilty face. Real mens rea right there.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Grizzly is the cutest little bugger. :3:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Would Grizzly in a heart beat if I was near you, or that gray one.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I really like Gummi :3:

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Our kittens go back for their neuter on Monday afternoon, and it's definitely time because it's become an absolute madhouse in my kids' room. Apparently now the kittens have learned to climb into the top bunk, and their favorite playtime is right as my daughters need to get to bed.

In desperation to find something to occupy them during this time I brought in one of our cats toys, the mouse on the stretchy cord. They went absolutely batshit, unfortunately I only got video of the last couple minutes but what you see here went on for like 10 minutes before this. Sorry for shakycam but it's hard to film while laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxmNkgAm5kk

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Marchegiana posted:

In desperation to find something to occupy them during this time I brought in one of our cats toys, the mouse on the stretchy cord. They went absolutely batshit, unfortunately I only got video of the last couple minutes but what you see here went on for like 10 minutes before this. Sorry for shakycam but it's hard to film while laughing.

Now we know why cats don't hunt in packs.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Marchegiana posted:

Our kittens go back for their neuter on Monday afternoon, and it's definitely time because it's become an absolute madhouse in my kids' room. Apparently now the kittens have learned to climb into the top bunk, and their favorite playtime is right as my daughters need to get to bed.

Oh man, that reminds me of the fun parts of having kittens :kimchi:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Happy Sunday everybody!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Chili posted:

Happy Sunday everybody!

sunday tonday

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
How the hell does he pull off that 1000 yard stare with his eyes closed?!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh, and have a caption contest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chili posted:

Happy Sunday everybody!

Sweet dreams, Butters.