Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Theranos would suggest otherwise.

And Enron. And WorldCom. And Arthur Andersen. And Madoff LLC. And [etc]

Also, who's to say that the scammers are crunching? That term doesn't usually include lots of vacation photos…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I noticed I got banned for 6 hours yesterday because I sarcastically replied to someone who was being rude to me and the game.

Are you saying I'm not going to be allowed to post here?

/s

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

The game is a scam. get a refund, commando.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I hope this guy is real and not another testicle man alt, it's funnier if he's real

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ayn Marx posted:

I hope this guy is real and not another testicle man alt, it's funnier if he's real

Me too. I hope he stays around.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ayn Marx posted:

A real non-gimmick account wouldn't have that username.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tippis posted:

And Enron. And WorldCom. And Arthur Andersen. And Madoff LLC. And [etc]

Also, who's to say that the scammers are crunching? That term doesn't usually include lots of vacation photos…

Or 38 Studios, although that was less of a scam and more mismanagement. Although the way they lead on the investors seems fraudulent given the investigations.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

drat Dirty Ape posted:

A real non-gimmick account wouldn't have that username.
Also they probably wouldn't type like SurfaceDetail.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sabreseven posted:

So according to the latest "news", CIG in the "worst case" scenario (Ie: funding stops immediately) they do not have enough money to complete both S42 and SC and they are to an extent reliant on S42 sales to continue the income needed for SC?

Would I be right in assuming S42 has already been sold as a preorder to most interested parties, therefore further sales and funding from this element alone is likely to be very limited, and if it is bad as chunky bubble farts during a hot date on a warm day then sales from that alone could possibly be terrible.

It does sound to me as though they are highly reliant on S42 selling high numbers after it is released in order to keep the lights on, in a limited niche market at best with currently a bewildering supply of really fun and well made space games that cater to most sci fi tastes and even more on the way which look like they'll arrive well before S42.

I feel the end times are upon us, great fear I sense in them. :D

The problem is that, as currently expected, Star Citizen is an impossible to make product. A single player space mission arena interspersed by CGI or cutscenes is possible to do. Also Chris Roberts likes the mocap and story environment. Actually digging in to make a game like Star Citizen would take a team far better than CIG, with a management system far better than CIG.

This is just a continuation of lowered expectations for the MVP, which at this point will just be Star Citizen as is with whatever other half assed stuff they can get to compile before calling it "the vision!"

Chris also already went down this path when he said there'd be like 4 episodes of Sq42, and Star Citizen would be made at the end. Anybody who seriously thinks there would actually be 4 whole games from CIG that people want to buy is... expecting too much. :shrug:

Sorry backers, I hope the money thrown into the fire gets you the single player game of your dreams. Sorry for all you Firefly guys and everybody else who bought space ships for a multiplayer game.

Guess what?

You've been lied to. :(

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

gently caress it, even if it is SurfaceDetail, his impersonation of a credulous citizen is just getting better every time he does it lmao

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:laffo: what is even going on any more

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

You've found CR's reddit account at last. Nice one.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Zounds! What a caper!

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Have you ever been to r/ds?

No?

Not even to see D's nuts?

SurfaceDetail.jpg

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I can't change how people feel and its unfortunate many of you feel that way. I was just countering the assertion that "nobody here is threatened by the game". There clearly is some bad blood here.

Some people feel like their decision to get a refund or the opinions they've made many posts on for years will be invalidated if anything even remotely positive comes out of the star citizen community. Its a classic sunk cost fallacy.

Its why we get so many kneejerk posts. Like someone posts a tweet "Star Citizen is shaping up to be a great game" and like 3 people trip over themselves to say "its not a game smug"

It's a sunk cost fallacy

Meanwhile in Harebrained Studio they are getting ready for Battletech beta this coming March!

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 15, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXWFvdYFDE

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

gently caress it, even if it is SurfaceDetail, his impersonation of a credulous citizen is just getting better every time he does it lmao

Its weird people have to "impersonate" normality around here. I hope to change that. I honestly didnt think itd be this much of a stir. I knew id get some trolls but im humbled.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Whoa! Hold the gently caress up guys. Let me have a go at having an earnest debate about Star Citizen with the obvious re-reg troll account. I'm great at this stuff, hold my beer!

PARRRRRRP!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Haha, I just found this out about our new friend here...

You must have the platinum account upgrade to view this message.

...for old times sake.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I don't think it's normal to be conned out of easily retrieveable money tbh.

It's also not normal to hand over money to a person who has a history of wasting other peoples money.

Wrecked Angle is right :)

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Wrecked Angle posted:

Whoa! Hold the gently caress up guys. Let me have a go at having an earnest debate about Star Citizen with the obvious re-reg troll account. I'm great at this stuff, hold my beer!

PARRRRRRP!

If we don't encourage him, he won't post his nuts, and nobody wants to miss out on that.

This round is lacking a narrative though. I preferred the last few where there was a build - up before the reveal.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Wrecked Angle posted:

PARRRRRRP!

This gimmick is poo poo too.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Its weird people have to "impersonate" normality around here. I hope to change that. I honestly didnt think itd be this much of a stir. I knew id get some trolls but im humbled.

show your balls, or at least reveal how much you're in for, re-reg

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sillybones posted:

This gimmick is poo poo too.

Become a mod and probate him.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Dongsturm posted:

If we don't encourage him, he won't post his nuts, and nobody wants to miss out on that.

This round is lacking a narrative though. I preferred the last few where there was a build - up before the reveal.

You shouldn't assume things. Like this just shows a basic illogic that plagues this thread.

You assume I am someone else
You assume I identify as He
You assume I possess testicles
You assume I have a narrative to push.
You assume this is a "new round"

This is sort of a nitpicky example.

If you make less assumptions in this case about Star Citizen. You can see things are going okay.

You are right about one assumption though. I do prefer encouragement. A major sign of mental illness is reveling in negative attention so I don't do that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

LOL!! I can't wait!!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't like his use of the term "Reached out" as that gives the impression of an olive branch being handed over, whereas I think it went more like "Derek pointed and laughed at CIG this week because they are inept". :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sabreseven posted:

I don't like his use of the term "Reached out" as that gives the impression of an olive branch being handed over, whereas I think it went more like "Derek pointed and laughed at CIG this week because they are inept". :)

That's not even the most hilarious part. No, that would be that I would need an "official" account to do anything. Aside from the fact that I have 4 accounts. :grin:

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

TrustmeImLegit posted:

You shouldn't assume things. Like this just shows a basic illogic that plagues this thread.

If you make less assumptions in this case about Star Citizen. You can see things are going okay.

You are right about one assumption though. I do prefer encouragement. A major sign of mental illness is reveling in negative attention so I don't do that.

You're wonderful, never stop

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I assume your schtick has become tiresome. And what do you know, it has.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen: You assume I possess testicles

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

If you look at the positives of Star Citizen it's currently a very very good way to stand in / near a corridor and also it's en extremely good way to be the shape of a spaceship and walk around in a skybox

when you put it like that, I see why people like Cymelion are drawn so strongly to The Dream

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Why doesn't CIG do concept sales for land vehicles (other than the buggy)? It would at once reinforce the notion that you will totally be able to land on planets and separate additional money from their flock.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

BeefThief posted:

Why doesn't CIG do concept sales for land vehicles (other than the buggy)? It would at once reinforce the notion that you will totally be able to land on planets and separate additional money from their flock.

Some sort of low altitude aircraft that could shoot a laser grapple hook would be cool.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hoping we will have artillery and tanks at some point. Thats my pie in the sky stuff. How to balance that with ships seems problematic.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I'm hoping we will have artillery and tanks at some point. Thats my pie in the sky stuff. How to balance that with ships seems problematic.

Chris will find a way

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hello star citizen thread, I've been busy coding space features for my space game (including the ability to process alien populations into food), what magnificent strides in fidelious game development did I miss?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Wiz posted:

the ability to process alien populations into food

Official Stimpire DLC?!

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I'm hoping we have a mocap cutscene where it turns out the other space cowboy merc was actually trolling your space cowboy merc, and everyone on the forums goes on about how it was such a great troll because of the polygon count.

There's some dramatic music, someone shouts "CAPTAIN WE'VE BEEN TROLLED!", and then it does a BSG zoom in on your ship right before it blows up? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ayn Marx posted:

Official Stimpire DLC?!

Deskeletonization is currently in refactoring.