Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Ayn Marx posted:

Official Stimpire DLC?!

They are currently busy with reskinning everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Wiz posted:

Hello star citizen thread, I've been busy coding space features for my space game (including the ability to process alien populations into food), what magnificent strides in fidelious game development did I miss?

You'd probably find this one to be the most interesting. It's just a short summary, but yeah...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773270&pagenumber=5#post468221431

The rest was mostly just same old same old of little note.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Wiz posted:

Deskeletonization is currently in refactoring.

Is there space weed and space research chems that have a 50/50 chance of causing a disaster? If so I may need to buy this instead of CK2.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I thought you were going to be nicer to me? Now you imply I have a mental illness? I'm not stupid I see what you are trying to do here. I do not have autism.

But you are on the Spectrum, right?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

CrazyLoon posted:

You'd probably find this one to be the most interesting. It's just a short summary, but yeah...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773270&pagenumber=5#post468221431

The rest was mostly just same old same old of little note.

As a bona fide video game dev I can tell you that switching engines 4 years into development is always a *great* sign that things are proceeding on scheudle. Time to put my savings into ship jpegs!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Wiz posted:

Hello star citizen thread, I've been busy coding space features for my space game (including the ability to process alien populations into food), what magnificent strides in fidelious game development did I miss?

All you need to get caught up on Star Citizen:

Galarox posted:

Ok everyone here is the book: How it works: Star Citizen. Clicky the link to download, it's a PDF

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqnozuu9bvnlao6/How%20it%20Works%20-%20Star%20Citizen.pdf?dl=1

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 15, 2017

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
they didn't really switch engines. They just repatched their changes to the same version of cryengine and gained a whole lot of networking tech. If they had switched to Unreal or something I'd be right there with you, Wiz. Next time take a little bit to do some research instead of going for the pithy one liner. It'll be more satisfying emotionally and professionally.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"We plan the scope of the development based on what arrives monthly by the people to support."
What the gently caress?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

TrustmeImLegit posted:

they didn't really switch engines. They just repatched their changes to the same version of cryengine and gained a whole lot of networking tech. If they had switched to Unreal or something I'd be right there with you, Wiz. Next time take a little bit to do some research instead of going for the pithy one liner. It'll be more satisfying emotionally and professionally.

Fortunately, instead of having to do research I actually have the professional experience of doing engine switches, upgrades and branch reintegrations, and know exactly how much of a clusterfuck each of those is no matter how many claims of 'but they're forked from the same source!!' you make. Sure it's not *as* big a clusterfuck as switching engines entirely but I'll just be over here laughing cynically if you think it was a pain-free process.

Also, networking tech is not a loving RPG stat. You don't gain +1000 to your networking tech. It doesn't work like that. It has never worked like that. Middleware is only as good as your own ability to utilize it.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 15, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

"We plan the scope of the development based on what arrives monthly by the people to support."
What the gently caress?

This sentence starts off sounding like a really bad idea and then just disintegrates.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

In all fairness--SQ42 providing the cash to allow the continued development of Star Citizen was the original plan. Back in 2012/2013--CIG would create SQ42, it would be be received to rave reviews. Millions of copies would be sold, CIG would become for-realz game development studio, and the cash would roll in.

The release of SQ42 was supposed to herald two other events: the alpha/beta for the Persistent Universe and, drum roll--ships no longer being sold for cash. Yeah, yeah--back in 2013, I thought for a little while CIG was going to stop selling ships for hundreds of dollars. I like to think I've matured as a person and a consumer since then...

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

HycoCam posted:

In all fairness--SQ42 providing the cash to allow the continued development of Star Citizen was the original plan. Back in 2012/2013--CIG would create SQ42, it would be be received to rave reviews. Millions of copies would be sold, CIG would become for-realz game development studio, and the cash would roll in.

The release of SQ42 was supposed to herald two other events: the alpha/beta for the Persistent Universe and, drum roll--ships no longer being sold for cash. Yeah, yeah--back in 2013, I thought for a little while CIG was going to stop selling ships for hundreds of dollars. I like to think I've matured as a person and a consumer since then...

What I'm taking away from the article is this:

Chris stating that money drying up for SC means they must make S42, then use that funding to finish SC.

I am led to believe that he is going on record saying that even with over a hundred million dollars, CIG does not currently have enough money to create Star Citizen and Squadron 42.

How much loving money do they want?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Propagandist posted:

Chris stating that money drying up for SC means they must make S42, then use that funding to finish SC.

I am led to believe that he is going on record saying that even with over a hundred million dollars, CIG does not currently have enough money to create Star Citizen and Squadron 42.

They're making 2 AAA (arguably AAAA) games. It was always the plan to have SQ42 bring in tons of money. This is not new info.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I think trawling through pages and pages of ten million word posts about star citizen to laugh at them is real weird, and that also following people through their twitters to make fun of their families and interior decorations is kind of hosed up. I guess it's not doxxing anymore but it's still weird as all hell.

Either way, please, don't constantly harass and follow people online because they had the wrong opinion of videogames. Don't doxx anyone, and don't send them any hateful messages.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

ArfJason posted:

don't constantly harass and follow people online because they had the wrong opinion of videogames

Agreed, stop following this thread.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They're making 2 AAA (arguably AAAA) games. It was always the plan to have SQ42 bring in tons of money. This is not new info.

Step your game up SD

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Propagandist posted:

Agreed, stop following this thread.

Step your game up SD

lol, you've been trolled

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Propagandist posted:

Yep, was my thought as well. I was somewhat surprised he said that then I remembered who we are dealing with.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Star citizen: You assume I possess testicles

but every character in star citizen is the same model of a white male?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Any time. Thank you for being one of the nice people in a prickly thread. o7

balls or GTFO

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I was expecting a little bit of ribbing or trolling but not literally 8 different people demanding to see my genitals within 24 hours. That's personal.

Also more assumptions about my gender and physical status.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 15, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:yikes:

Wow that subreddit really has taken an unusual turn

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Propagandist posted:

All of it. Not sure if you have been paying attention, doesn't matter how much money Chris & Co raise--there will never, ever be a game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

his nibs posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmartSlashFics/

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I was expecting a little bit of ribbing or trolling but not literally 8 different people demanding to see my genitals within 24 hours. That's personal.

Also more assumptions about my gender and physical status.

The decision to keep your genitals to yourself is one I fully support

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

his nibs posted:

Unusual turns? in my :reddit:?

So a guy jokes (?) that he's looking for a vanduul wife and a translator would be cool. So, of course...

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, did I miss something? You can go down to planets now in Star Citizen? Or is he talking about Planetside the game for some reason?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! I can't wait!!

Just admit it Derek. You want back into that game, you want it bad. And since the only way to get the game is to surrender all your identification papers and prove you're not Derek Smart it must be consuming you.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

The decision to keep your genitals to yourself is one I fully support

Thank you.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:perfect:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wiz posted:

As a bona fide video game dev I can tell you that switching engines 4 years into development is always a *great* sign that things are proceeding on scheudle. Time to put my savings into ship jpegs!

Yeah, but what if the switch is actually switching the engine's name and nothing else? How about that you mr. bigshot videogame developer? mmmmmmm?

e: Oh gently caress!

TrustmeImLegit posted:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

Yeah, but what if the switch is actually switching the engine's name and nothing else? How about that you mr. bigshot videogame developer? mmmmmmm?

He does seem smug as hell in most of his posts. Like insecure. I like paradox games. EU3 and EU4 taught me most of the geography I know.

Theres no need to be salty Wiz because someone else is doing something different. Stellaris isn't really anything like Star CItizen other than that it ostensibly takes place in space. Its a simple 2d board game.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 15, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

For most, a 3 dog night is peak cold. For Ben it's a warm up snack. Sorry, this joke has stretchmarks on it.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Thoatse posted:

For most, a 3 dog night is peak cold. For Ben it's a warm up snack. Sorry, this joke has stretchmarks on it.

It was 40 degrees a few nights ago it was super cold.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I know I'm to pretend the ignore list doesn't exist but I can't add someone to it on the app and it is distressing

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Regrettable posted:

I was born male and identify as male and have never been a mod so I think I'm okay. They seem to be specifically targeting trans people, women, and mods. Also, they like to post about gamergate, to no one's surprise.

Sorry trans/ladygoons.

Huh.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

gently caress

You

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

TrustmeImLegit posted:

He does seem smug as hell in most of his posts. Like insecure. I like paradox games. EU3 and EU4 taught me most of the geography I know.

Theres no need to be salty Wiz because someone else is doing something different. Stellaris isn't really anything like Star CItizen other than that it ostensibly takes place in space. Its a simple 2d board game.

I am pretty smug, but honestly Star Citizen is just kind of really funny. It's the perfect amalgamation of so many things that are wrong about the games industry, and whenever it's brought up in any gathering of game devs it's good for a few laughs and stories about terrible bosses.