Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Demi-chan is still incredibly cute and good two episodes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yo I watched seven episodes of Sailor Moon in 1999 and all of Madoka, here's my thoughts on the state of the magical girl genre *vomits a thin grey slurry*

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

Is there an actual new Amagami on the way or is it just that they made Seiren and I never paid attention to staff and studio names? It's got moments of OhComeOn and an MC with a nice boat futureb ut I quite like it.

Seiren is an indirect sequel to Amagami. The protagonist's friend is the little brother of the swimming girl from Amagami, and they both take place in the same school.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

alright, the second Winter '17 Seasonal Stream will start in an hour, at 4:15pm Central (GMT-6), and the lineup is:

Maidragon
ACCA
Chiruran
Piace
Scum's Wish
Gabriel Dropout
Onihei
Kemono Friends

stream will be here as usual

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The revenge show is good and funny.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ann added an interview to their article about amazons service, its a whole lot of nothing though

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-12/amazon-u.s-launches-anime-strike-paid-streaming-service/.110924

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If they're going to offer the content t I want without prime, why would I need prime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yo I watched seven episodes of Sailor Moon in 1999 and all of Madoka, here's my thoughts on the state of the magical girl genre *vomits a thin grey slurry*

now watch 46 episodes of 1991 sailor moon in 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Davincie posted:

the first half of ep 2 of youjo senki was extremely dreadful isekai fare i had hoped they would cut out. the only bright point in it was the fact that he didnt die by a truck or some heroic action, but because of a fired subordinate pushing him in front of a train. at least it got back to the war is hell stuff after that and the post credits scene is win
I think they did a much better job handling that part than the book did, where he was bickering with an old and petty god

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Random impressions of shows without threads yet:

The Dramas I Can Barely Tell Apart:
Fuuka - With all the drama shows this winter, this one may stand out under the looming impression that poo poo is about to go down. Well I'm down for the train-wreck. Also the bright blue anime hair does help.

Masamune-kun's Revenge - Conceptually this one stands out, but is also the one that is least transparent about their mandated "include # ecchi things per episode". This has the most "want to know what happens next" pull.

Seiren - Had to scrub through the first episode again to make sure I wasn't thinking about another show when watching episode 2. May be dropped due to time constraints, but I did inexplicably watch the Amagami series, so I feel compelled to give this a shot.

Scum's Wish - Not sure if "double rebound" is enough of a foundation to make this interesting, but I'll watch a few more eps. The characters are the most forgettable of the bunch, only barely over Seiren's.

Other shows:
Urara Merichou - Possibly too cute for it's own good. No really, the exposition is awkwardly ham-fisted. I'm not fond of shows that assume their audience is that much of a bunch of morons. Maybe it'd be better if they went the other way and just made is full fluffy Slice of Life.

Dragon Maid - Still waiting on the next episodes to confirm, but I'm down with this comedic style.

Saga of Tanya the Evil - I actually like the double-first episode style. I'm a fan of non-linear storytelling done right, and this felt like it was executed well. The plot is crazy, the action is crazy, the faces are crazy, I'm on board.

ChäoS;Child - And this would be an example of poor execution of the double-first episode. Feels like they had an interesting concept that got destroyed by implementation. Don't know, don't care, dropped.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

zetsubou.jpg

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Surprising!
https://twitter.com/fandompost/status/820351529362173952

It's pretty fun, if you like that old two episode OVA it's probably worth a read since there's a lot more silly D&D type adventuring in it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jackard posted:

I think they did a much better job handling that part than the book did, where he was bickering with an old and petty god

What I like from the anime anyways not having read the book is how it comes across as Petty God vs. rear end in a top hat Salaryman.

I do feel like it's quite a step from maybe taking a little too much enjoyment from laying off people who didn't meet company expectations (as unfair as those expectations probably are in the Japanese workplace, it seems clear there were warnings to the employee to shape up) to being willing :commissar: disobedient subordinates.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

zetsubou.jpg

Tanya's mental state in a nutshell?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think doing the first two Tanya episodes in the order they did was the right choice. The second episode is so weird, having the first episode to establish a sort of baseline for the show is a good idea. If the second episode was the first episode, I would have had no idea what to expect from the second episode.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Raenir Salazar posted:

What I like from the anime anyways not having read the book is how it comes across as Petty God vs. rear end in a top hat Salaryman.
Well the concept is the same, but here it feels like a jerk dealing with an creepy otherworldly power

instead of the smuglord from the book getting bitched at by a grandpa in a featureless void

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 15, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That next episode title

I still don't understand how the CK2 thread has like five thousand pages but there's no deus vult smiley.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh crap I totally forgot Akiba's Trip was getting an anime and that it has already started. I hope it is like the Persona 4/Neptunia ones which were cheesy yet still entertaining.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

Oh crap I totally forgot Akiba's Trip was getting an anime and that it has already started. I hope it is like the Persona 4/Neptunia ones which were cheesy yet still entertaining.

it's not the same cast as the game and the original cast for it is a lot less fun, and it's a lot weirder than the game

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Saga of Tanya The Evil is great, although the manga version of his original salaryman body has the perfect slick corporate hatchetman look compared to his average look now. Small complaint though.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

ChäoS;Child - And this would be an example of poor execution of the double-first episode. Feels like they had an interesting concept that got destroyed by implementation. Don't know, don't care, dropped.

They should have just run the Chaos;Head recap completely separately tbh, I could've just read the plot summary on wikipedia and saved myself 18 minutes.

(actually the recap focussed on elements which are mostly ignored in that plot summary, which may or may not turn out to be relevant)

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Saga of Tanya The Evil is great, although the manga version of his original salaryman body has the perfect slick corporate hatchetman look compared to his average look now. Small complaint though.

The superslick look bugged me because when I read that part in the ln it was impossible to imagine anything other than the greasiest goon ever. Just making him a normal looking dude was an improvement imo.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I don't know that I'd call Classicaloid a great show, but it has some moments that keep me coming back. Like Tchaikovsky in old-man mode:

And some pretty good faces:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Watched both episodes of Akiba's Trip last night. It wasnt bad. In fact I kind of enjoyed the dorky humor even if I dont understand some of the localized humor. Its pretty different from the game though, other than location and that they strip their enemies to defeat them.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

MaiDragon was pretty good. I could do with something that's just jokey and fun and it fits the bill. I hope she keeps ringing Fafnir for advice.

LWA was good, I never saw the second OVA in the end but it's pretty much what I remembered.

Still going through Flip Flappers too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

New VOTOMS TV series announced for sometime in 2017.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

Interesting. Hopefully either the CG is less crappy, or they use less of it.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

me, 2 days ago: they should make new votoms

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basic bits I could grab from the article:

Takahashi is still on board as Director.
Chirico will be present, but no mention if he's the protagonist or just a character in it.
They spent like ten minutes talking about the Blood Sucker for some reason.
The staff they've brought on board are big fans of the original series, and they brought back people who worked on the original TV show where they could find people who were still working. No mention on if it'll be 2d or 3d, though.
Name is 'Battlefield Philosopher'

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
ElDrive
Yeah, decent enough but if they don't explain Misuzu's damage soon I might turn cold on it because right now she's being a bit of a Sod Sans Promt.

Fuuka
NO

Hand Shakers
If a show makes you feel physicaly sick for watching it then there's a problem. The fact that the content is a load of hot garbage doesn't help.

Masamune's Revenge
It's a Silver Link show so that's like +20 in it's favour already. Add a sort of totaly off it's balls game of one upsmanship between the two characters and it just about gets there. Pretty sure some sod's going to make it their Red Pill Bible though.

Gabreil Dropout
Less Hamster Bitch : Angel Edition and more Demons being really bad at being evil please.

Interviews with Demi-Girls
Probably best in season. And given it's sharing a genre with MonMusu which I'm not a fan of that's really impressive.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 15, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The unheard of genre of guy interacting with monster girls who fancy him

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Armor-Piercing posted:

I watched both the Little Witch Academia OVAs today and they were both excellent. Thank you friends.

Should I watch these if I'm planning on watching the anime?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

There Bias Two posted:

Need to, no. Should you? gently caress yeah.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

If you like the first episode, there's zero reason not to watch the OVAs. And vice versa. The order matters little - its not like theres a complicated overarching plot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you're thinking: Gee, I don't have anything to watch this season and I don't know what to do with my life!

Then I have the thread for you, friend.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'd be surprised if someone could watch 2 or 3 eps of an anime of the genre they usually enjoy this season and they find nothing they like. This season, and the past couple, have been very good seasons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That wasn't the intent of my post aaaaaaa

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I know, but it's my solemn duty to take everything too seriously.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I just noticed the title for episode 3 for Tanya (Deus Vult!).

As a result:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just say "child", dude

• Locked thread