Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIoG4jPzAjY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Which one of you buttlords changed my avatar?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

I got back from ten days in Italy (mostly north Italy) a bit ago. The food was largely as expected- way more raw meat than I expected though.

So THE SECRET was food all along?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Manuel Calavera posted:

So THE SECRET was food all along?

THE SECRET is that mid-high-end Italian restaurants are aping oldstyle French haute cuisine (French dishes with Italian ingredient substitutions, frequently swimming in butter), and the most enjoyable meals I had while there were at the midrange local restos, or budget pizza places. Venice has finished its transition into a tourist trap, and I wish traffic law in Italy was more than a suggestion, especially when it comes to lane dividers.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good to know if I ever make it to Italy then.

But that's no THE SECRET I meant. More the ones involving clowns.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I read Gary Taubes' book on how sugar is a poison that has killed more people than gunpowder weaponry and most epidemic diseases through insulin resistance, obesity and diabetes, and I'm getting a little panicked here because I just realized I drink a ton of skim milk; What effect does lactose sugar in lowfat milk and dairy have on insulin? Is it a bad idea to consume a lot of it? I don't have any problems with insulin/diabetes stuff or obesity and never had, but I drink a lot of milk

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 14, 2017

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

this catte owns bones

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

icantfindaname posted:

I read Gary Taubes' book on how sugar is a poison that has killed more people than gunpowder weaponry and most epidemic diseases through insulin resistance, obesity and diabetes, and I'm getting a little panicked here because I just realized I drink a ton of skim milk; What effect does lactose sugar in lowfat milk and dairy have on insulin? Is it a bad idea to consume a lot of it? I don't have any problems with insulin/diabetes stuff or obesity and never had, but I drink a lot of milk

Gary Taubes is a fraud with zero nutritional science credentials. His entire set of claims around sugar are bogus. Unless you have a family history of problems with insulin, or are developing insulin resistance, or have a diet consisting solely of sugar, drinking skim milk is fine and good for you. Even if you were, it's got a low glycemic index rating.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 14, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I disagree, drinking skim milk is gross and lame as gently caress in any circumstances.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Gary Taubes is a fraud with zero nutritional science credentials. His entire set of claims around sugar are bogus. Unless you have a family history of problems with insulin, or are developing insulin resistance, or have a diet consisting solely of sugar, drinking skim milk is fine and good for you. Even if you were, it's got a low glycemic index rating.

Out of curiosity, do you have any simple explanation/elaboration of why the "sugar causes high insulin, high insulin makes you fat" theory as promoted by Tabues and Robert Lustig is bogus? Just googling it produces a huge shitload of contradictory stuff

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

iirc, obesity and type two diabetes aren't directly linked; they share a common cause. namely, spiking your blood sugar all drat day every day for 20 years.

i am not a doctor or a dietician or any other kind of scientist/clinician, though

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Out of curiosity, do you have any simple explanation/elaboration of why the "sugar causes high insulin, high insulin makes you fat" theory as promoted by Tabues and Robert Lustig is bogus? Just googling it produces a huge shitload of contradictory stuff

That's partly true but not part of Taubes or Lustig's work, and it depends on prior dietary and genetic factors. Taubes and Lustig both subscribe to the idea that sugar (especially Artificial Processed Sugar) is a Toxin Poison Badthing that caused the Plague of Egypt, the British Cholera epidemics, and the popularity of Puddle of Mudd, via a bunch of routes that no one else believes. Lustig in particular loves extrapolating from mouse model studies, especially his own studies that no one else can replicate (he's hated universally in nutrition science circles as a fraud). Both men make their careers riding the coattails of the naturalistic fallacy movement in nutrition, a bottomless well of money.

Sugars are necessary to the functioning of the human body-people just eat more than they need. Sugar consumption in some patterns (read, eating a lot of it) and/or genetic effects lead to diabetes. Insulin doesn't "make you fat" so much as it's necessary for normal digestion to occur. this site gives the short version.

The thing that makes people overweight, barring metabolic disorders, is calories. Calories calories calories. Sugar is a source of calories- so is a fuckton of other stuff, too, though. Sugar isn't special in this regard.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 15, 2017

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yeah, my son has type I diabetes. If he doesn't get insulin he'll die.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Discendo Vox posted:

That's partly true but not part of Taubes or Lustig's work, and it depends on prior dietary and genetic factors. Taubes and Lustig both subscribe to the idea that sugar (especially Artificial Processed Sugar) is a Toxin Poison Badthing that caused the Plague of Egypt, the British Cholera epidemics, and the popularity of Puddle of Mudd, via a bunch of routes that no one else believes. Lustig in particular loves extrapolating from mouse model studies, especially his own studies that no one else can replicate (he's hated universally in nutrition science circles as a fraud). Both men make their careers riding the coattails of the naturalistic fallacy movement in nutrition, a bottomless well of money.

Sugars are necessary to the functioning of the human body-people just eat more than they need. Sugar consumption in some patterns (read, eating a lot of it) and/or genetic effects lead to diabetes. Insulin doesn't "make you fat" so much as it's necessary for normal digestion to occur. this site gives the short version.

The thing that makes people overweight, barring metabolic disorders, is calories. Calories calories calories. Sugar is a source of calories- so is a fuckton of other stuff, too, though. Sugar isn't special in this regard.

What about the impact of sugar consumption on insulin production leading to increased appetite etc? How does that factor in?

I was under the assumption (this is outside my field) that increased consumption of raw sugars leads to broader changes in insulin amounts which leads to acute increases in appetite which would spur consumption of more calories. Is this incorrect?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That Works posted:

What about the impact of sugar consumption on insulin production leading to increased appetite etc? How does that factor in?

I was under the assumption (this is outside my field) that increased consumption of raw sugars leads to broader changes in insulin amounts which leads to acute increases in appetite which would spur consumption of more calories. Is this incorrect?

Hasn't been demonstrated in humans. Appetite studies that are meaningful are really, really hard to do, and there's a theoretical argument for a mechanism there, but it's not been found in any well-designed studies meant to test the hypothesis. Generally, a plausible mechanism would require a bunch of additional moving parts that go beyond just the flat carb content. This hasn't stopped Lustig et al from using it as a fallback position when direct negative effects are applied. There's also no clear reason why "raw" sugar would function differently, except that it plays into the "sweet white death" narrative.

While I'm on this, sugar isn't addictive, either. That's a one-two punch of poor interpretation of brain imaging and using animal models to make claims about human behavior. It's literally "eating sweet things makes the pleasure receptors in this region light up- just like cocaine!".

We've covered some of this stuff in the pseudoscience thread up in science academia and linguistics. Nutrition science is a mess as a field (it's a hard area to do good research in, there's a lot of industry meddling, industry is actually the only group funding good studies, people don't know basic science methods, etc), and the sugar stuff is the worst of all- it's been the subject of a proxy war between corn and cane industries, as well as a bunch of alt-med charlatans like Lustig, for decades.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 15, 2017

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Wait... so does that mean that going on diets like paleo, south-beach, only eating food that is orange, or only drinking food is basically wrong?

So my espresso enemas don't work?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Wait... so does that mean that going on diets like paleo, south-beach, only eating food that is orange, or only drinking food is basically wrong?

So my espresso enemas don't work?

Well, they work in some ways. I find your bottom much more pleasing to ream after you've had a good coffee enema.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Things that also light up the pleasure sensors are sex, roller-coasters, veiwing the Grand Canyon for the first time, and a good cream cheese bagel.

I dunno about you, all I got from cocaine was wonderfully clear sinuses for three days.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Things that also light up the pleasure sensors are sex, roller-coasters, veiwing the Grand Canyon for the first time, and a good cream cheese bagel.

I dunno about you, all I got from cocaine was wonderfully clear sinuses for three days.

Wasabi and horseradish do the same thing, and have the advantage of being cheaper, safer, and legal.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Are we still talking about putting thing up our butts?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Are we still talking about putting thing up our butts?

Yes. Next time try a wasabi enema. It's truly invigorating!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

therattle posted:

Yes. Next time try a wasabi enema. It's truly invigorating!

But how's the follow-up "reaming"?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

theres a will theres moe posted:

But how's the follow-up "reaming"?

Truly invigorating!

For a taster try rubbing some wasabi paste on your Johnson. You won't regret it!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I go old school and just shove whole horseradish roots up my anus for a really refreshing pick-me-up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaphanidosis

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

I go old school and just shove whole horseradish roots up my anus for a really refreshing pick-me-up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaphanidosis

Holy poo poo.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Why the hell do I need to go to a cooking forum to learn that people insert ginger in their anuses, and then call it 'figging', and that it is common in the 50 shades of.... circles in the US?

Rectally administered horse radish seems like somewhat hardcore though... But why the fish?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Happy Hat posted:

Rectally administered horse radish seems like somewhat hardcore though... But why the fish?

It's a palate cleanser, oddly enough.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

There's kinda a long way from that place to the palate..

Edit: therattle: Why do you stuff more or less alive fishes up yourself? Is it true that it cleans your palate?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

There's kinda a long way from that place to the palate..

Edit: therattle: Why do you stuff more or less alive fishes up yourself? Is it true that it cleans your palate?

No, it's for the wriggling.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

ok...

I have a new brother in law, who incidentally has the same name as me...

He is a brewmaster at a largish brewery (he makes a couple of million liters a year) - anyways, he also experiments..

I like him better than any of my previous in-laws, incidentally!

Anyways...

He made a experimental run that will never hit the market named 'Happy Hat got drunk'...

I opened one of them - 75 cl - it was good - I drank it while cooking.. opened another one...

Have just called him - they're loving 13%...

13%...

I am drunk..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I will now proceed to love the world - show my wife sweet lovin', be awesome by fighting world decease (oh yeah - got a new job fighting polio, TB and poo poo like that for Bill Gates and WHO), and feeling that therattle is the most awesome person next to dino. ....

Why the hell are people getting me drunk by proxy...

Seriously though...

Much, much love!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Discendo Vox posted:

While I'm on this, sugar isn't addictive, either.

your whole post was pretty well scientifically grounded except for this wild overreach

compulsive eating is a thing, dummy. it's an observable phenomenon. as is the frequency with which compulsive eaters seek sweet foods. the fact that we only poorly understand the myriad of causes underlying both compulsive behaviors in general and compulsive eating in particular doesn't mean you get to say "sugar isn't addictive"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
That's kinda dumb to get fussy about as couldn't you say that pretty much anything could be addictive if your brain is wired that way? I compulsively buy fishing tackle when I'm stressed out at work, I don't think any reasonable person would say "rubber worms are addictive ".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

your whole post was pretty well scientifically grounded except for this wild overreach

compulsive eating is a thing, dummy. it's an observable phenomenon. as is the frequency with which compulsive eaters seek sweet foods. the fact that we only poorly understand the myriad of causes underlying both compulsive behaviors in general and compulsive eating in particular doesn't mean you get to say "sugar isn't addictive"

Again, I go into the discussion over this in detail in the pseudoscience thread. There are several definitions of addiction, but the ones that have meaning beyond "ever trigger a pleasure sensor" don't apply to sugar. Hell, the most effective definitions exclude substances like sugar by definition, and the people advocating for eating disorders to be considered a form of addiction still wouldn't say that sugar is addictive-they'd say it acts as a behavioral cue for some people with the condition. The people who do want eating disorders (or other behavioral patterns, like gambling) to be considered addiction are largely people working in treatment. They generally acknowledge that they're stretching or changing the prior formal definition, but feel they are justified in doing so because it would give people suffering from those problems access to more resources for treatment, which they urgently need.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 15, 2017

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I will now proceed to love the world - show my wife sweet lovin', be awesome by fighting world decease (oh yeah - got a new job fighting polio, TB and poo poo like that for Bill Gates and WHO), and feeling that therattle is the most awesome person next to dino. ....

Why the hell are people getting me drunk by proxy...

Seriously though...

Much, much love!

Aw hell, HH, putting me after only dino is swell. That job sounds loving great! Congratulations. I hope it's as fulfilling as you want it to be.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

This is bullshit. You have no dietary need for sugar. Your body will synthesize glycogen fine without it. Your point is generally correct, but you do not need to consume sugar for anything.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, I go into the discussion over this in detail in the pseudoscience thread. There are several definitions of addiction, but the ones that have meaning beyond "ever trigger a pleasure sensor" don't apply to sugar. Hell, the most effective definitions exclude substances like sugar by definition, and the people advocating for eating disorders to be considered a form of addiction still wouldn't say that sugar is addictive-they'd say it acts as a behavioral cue for some people with the condition. The people who do want eating disorders (or other behavioral patterns, like gambling) to be considered addiction are largely people working in treatment. They generally acknowledge that they're stretching or changing the prior formal definition, but feel they are justified in doing so because it would give people suffering from those problems access to more resources for treatment, which they urgently need.

yeah, i realized right after i posted you were just being spergily proscriptive about the outdated definition of addiction

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah, i realized right after i posted you were just being spergily proscriptive about the outdated definition of addiction

"outdated" being whatever you disagree with? Again, I've gone into detail on this in the thread where it makes more sense to do so. You can read a several page discussion about it here if you're interested.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

This is bullshit. You have no dietary need for sugar. Your body will synthesize glycogen fine without it. Your point is generally correct, but you do not need to consume sugar for anything.

Sorry, carbohydrates.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Discendo Vox posted:

"outdated" being whatever you disagree with? Again, I've gone into detail on this in the thread where it makes more sense to do so. You can read a several page discussion about it here if you're interested.
First sentence: `Stuff on the controlled substances list has historically gotten there because, at root, it's addictive, rather than because of other harmful side effects'.

The DEA's page on scheduling says (in part):

DEA posted:

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote
I think the most charitable way I can say this is that this is not a list of substances that appears to be grouped according to addictiveness. And I mean that's not even getting into an investigation into the actual historical background of the controlled substances list, which is even less supportive of your general contention that the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SubG posted:

First sentence: `Stuff on the controlled substances list has historically gotten there because, at root, it's addictive, rather than because of other harmful side effects'.

The DEA's page on scheduling says (in part):

I think the most charitable way I can say this is that this is not a list of substances that appears to be grouped according to addictiveness. And I mean that's not even getting into an investigation into the actual historical background of the controlled substances list, which is even less supportive of your general contention that the above.

We can talk about it in the Pseudoscience thread, then.