Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Rudager posted:

Wait, did I miss something? You can go down to planets now in Star Citizen? Or is he talking about Planetside the game for some reason?

He means the demo before 2.0 where you could walk around or drive your exploding golf carts into other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Goobs posted:

What are your thoughts in the new discovery that the titanic sunk due to a fire and not because hitting an iceberg?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hey guys, constantly taking screenshots of the people you dislike and watching every single second of hours long livestreams of the game you hate to be able to land the perfect burn about some guys dinner is immensely hosed up. I mean its no surprise it happened in the friday night doxx e-stalking station (and all of this over a videogame), but come on.
Please, stop stalking people online 24/7, doxxing people, sending them death threats, masturbating to spaceships, loling about graphs all friday night. Please, for youre sake. I want the best for you all.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
I been asked to post my book in GBS so I did. If any of you want to touch the poop here is the link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805654

...here is a typical response...

Enfield posted:

gently caress you and allthat you stand for

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Man, this is work of art. May I suggest that you export each page into an image and create and online imgur album? That would it make it easier to share. I would do it, but I'm on mobile currently. Plus I wanted to ask you first.

Done, imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/UE3dc

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Speaking of fire, get rolling my page 419 friends cos the 420 is but a page away.

Chillax 2 teh max and keep the Fourth Stimpire at bay for another day. :420:

Can't wait for Christ Robert's Squadron 42(0):The Bogarts Revenge

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Ayn Marx posted:

Is it so hard for you sub-morons to stop quoting the low-effort baiting mongoloid lol?

Why? Angry MoMA is cool and all.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

MedicineHut posted:

Why? Angry MoMA is cool and all.

MoMA is my favourite poster, I hope he never goes away

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wow. It's almost like they are realizing at last that these amazing, totally unplayable, cut scenes may not mean that anything more than a movie showcasing a non existent feature was actually developed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/820378509981913088
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/820380297539846145
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/820493430078013441

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Galarox posted:

I been asked to post my book in GBS so I did. If any of you want to touch the poop here is the link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805654

...here is a typical response...

The hatred of your post is quite parpable.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Galarox posted:

Truly excellent.

parpetrators*

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Chin posted:

Truly excellent.

parpetrators*

poo poo. "Parpetrators" wish I'd thought of that, it would have gone in. Second edition maybe :gary:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Galarox posted:

outstanding!!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lol, Shakespeare jokes:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

but every character in star citizen is the same model of a white male?

Gonna make space rape mechanics a little one sided.......

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

Lol, Shakespeare jokes:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Gonna make space rape mechanics a little one sided.......

The inevitable consequence.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I can't change how people feel and its unfortunate many of you feel that way. I was just countering the assertion that "nobody here is threatened by the game". There clearly is some bad blood here.

Some people feel like their decision to get a refund or the opinions they've made many posts on for years will be invalidated if anything even remotely positive comes out of the star citizen community. Its a classic sunk cost fallacy.

Its why we get so many kneejerk posts. Like someone posts a tweet "Star Citizen is shaping up to be a great game" and like 3 people trip over themselves to say "its not a game smug"

I don't play pc games much, though I may at one point do something with them. I never purchased Star Citizen but I'd play it if it came out as promised.

Understand that the "as promised" is the touchy part. What Star Citizen keeps releasing is nothing like the promises. From the wank pod grounding to the ship delay timers to even the healing mechanics.

The game being developed is not close to what's promised. The underlying mechanics aren't even there. Now admittedly I've never played it... so maybe I'm wrong.

Any event though, I give CIG credit where it is due. Some may disagree but their art is very good. The level art looks good. It's very generic sci fi but it's not amateur looking. Their high detail characters like Mark Hamill look really nice too.

Now from here it goes downhill. Animation, gameplay, system integrity, functionality, and most things not related to art are very sketchy. This is where amateur hour comes into play. Given the aspirations of the game, programming should be #1, or at least very very competent and on target. We don't get that with CIG. No matter how many times they refactor the appearance of a ship, it's not going to improve their coding ability.

I won't mention the management failure since it's all tied together and it's a very, very pretty failure. It's a tough thing because usually games don't start off with "final pass" level graphics. It's more like programmer art and placeholders. But CIG went backwards, which has worked out for them in the money collection department. Unfortunately it's given people a severe false sense of how far along the game is, co-joined with a constant stream of lies (pupil to planet, 3.0 peek, etc). It's a very pretty, very broken, game built on lies and misinformation.

But I want to give you a chance too if you're legitimate. :)

Why don't you tell us how mechanics like boarding, LTI, bounty hunting, trade, repair, healing, and of jump points will work?

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
They're using procedural content generation so the game will produce content faster than players consume it.

He says the universe will have "billions and billions" of NPCs in the economy, not the meager 10 million (I believe) that Chris has talked about simulating prior.

They started with "a lot of art" that did not have ship docking in mind.

They're "pushing forward" with improved netcode but can't say when there might be an improvement in server capacity. Maybe 3.0, maybe later.

They're still working on nailing down basic functions of the Idris which he mentions is the primary staging point of SQ42. Still figuring out turrets.

They don't want to just figure out mining, they want to figure out resource collection overall, from collecting biological data to picking plants to collecting wood because you're freezing on a planet.

You will be analyzing the coronas of suns (all 100 of them?) to see if there are places you might be able to harvest resources and then sell that information. You might also have another ship that goes into a nebula and "does things".

You will be able to use science to discover new technologies which will keep the entire universe evolving.

They're looking into limiting third person cameras while in combat. So if a gun is fired in your vicinity perhaps you'll be incapable of using third person camera angles to look over cover or around corners. He describes people using third person cameras in this fashion as cheating. Or maybe they'll just have long transitions between camera angles. He says they're making "a first person game" for immersion purposes.

Players have to be able to do anything the NPCs can do. "This is a 100% living world with all of the stuff being interactable by everyone."

You'll have to bring food and water places. If you crash on a planet someone has to come rescue you because you'll start to starve, though you'll have ample opportunity to find stuff to eat or hunt things or steal resources from someone else. The interviewer here recognizes the complexity inherent in the statement and observes, "So it's a totally different game at this point." Trufing replies, "That's Star Citizen." Gameplay loops varying from wandering in the desert to battleship combat.

Outpost simulation will include energy generation which might be a concern on planets with nighttime temperatures of -100 degrees where you'll need heaters. "Might be" planets with acidic atmosphere.

Medical gameplay question is "a tough one to answer because :siren:it is still very early." "There is no unifying design right now." :siren: He says he doesn't want to give specifics because things might change and that might upset people who were dreaming in a particular direction.

Re: NPCs ejecting from ships, they're working on changing from having separate ship AI and FPS AI to having the FPS AI controlling the guy controlling the ship. There will be cowardice values that might result in premature ejections or a brave AI commando trying to take an enemy down with him. This will play into you choosing your wingmen and crew management. A potential crewman might be an alcoholic and have blackouts during fights.

I wonder if this guy is in on everything and knowingly spouting bullshit or if he's actually delusional enough to think these are reasonable game design goals.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I think I'm pretty moderate.

A lot of my org buds think no SQ42 shown is no big deal, everything's great etc. I thought it sucked I was looking forward to seeing some stuff. But I don't spiral into negativity and see stuff that simply isn't there. Some of you make Annabelle Huxley on RSI look unbiased.

How late would 3.0 need to be before you start to question CIG's ability to deliver on their promises? If Sq42 isn't the 50 missions it was promised to be would you still consider it delivered?

CIG is always moving the goal posts, so man up and Draw a line you don't think CIG will cross. Because they are going to disappoint you.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon posted:

gently caress it, even if it is SurfaceDetail, his impersonation of a credulous citizen is just getting better every time he does it lmao

Wait, people here weren't arguing in Poe? I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt and assumed this was all just cringy performance art.

Free MarchingPowder!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
You can't design and produce a AAA game. It's up to the public to decide how the game stacks up after release, not the developer. That's no different than DIsney claiming that they're about to release their "newest Disney classic" before it's even out. Time and reception will determine classic status, not Disney's say-so.

They can aim for AAA quality, sure - but it would be difficult to fail at that as hard as CIG has. For Chris Roberts it might be necessary to create a FFF category.

:lol: at Chris Roberts telling his backers that if money runs low, he'll toss their game aside and make the one he wants. gently caress your LTI ships, the money's mine now, fuckers!

I'm sure SQ42 will be so great that sales alone will totally fund the rest of Star Citizen. Those kinds of bets never go wrong. I hope the gaming community is ready for Ride to Hell: Retribution in space.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon posted:

:laffo: what is even going on any more

Who he is? He's the dude that made his mom's basement into a 'constellation', patrols general chat accusing everyone of being Derp Shart alongside Annabro and Monkay and sends vague threats via pm but later had a meltdown and changed his cig name from Cthulu/Ellendar to Cthulu/'GGCLOSECIGSEEKINGREFUND" :v:

Mirificus, how does this guy not have an entry in the Curious Cabinet?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chin posted:

They're using procedural content generation so the game will produce content faster than players consume it.

He says the universe will have "billions and billions" of NPCs in the economy, not the meager 10 million (I believe) that Chris has talked about simulating prior.

They started with "a lot of art" that did not have ship docking in mind.

They're "pushing forward" with improved netcode but can't say when there might be an improvement in server capacity. Maybe 3.0, maybe later.

They're still working on nailing down basic functions of the Idris which he mentions is the primary staging point of SQ42. Still figuring out turrets.

They don't want to just figure out mining, they want to figure out resource collection overall, from collecting biological data to picking plants to collecting wood because you're freezing on a planet.

You will be analyzing the coronas of suns (all 100 of them?) to see if there are places you might be able to harvest resources and then sell that information. You might also have another ship that goes into a nebula and "does things".

You will be able to use science to discover new technologies which will keep the entire universe evolving.

They're looking into limiting third person cameras while in combat. So if a gun is fired in your vicinity perhaps you'll be incapable of using third person camera angles to look over cover or around corners. He describes people using third person cameras in this fashion as cheating. Or maybe they'll just have long transitions between camera angles. He says they're making "a first person game" for immersion purposes.

Players have to be able to do anything the NPCs can do. "This is a 100% living world with all of the stuff being interactable by everyone."

You'll have to bring food and water places. If you crash on a planet someone has to come rescue you because you'll start to starve, though you'll have ample opportunity to find stuff to eat or hunt things or steal resources from someone else. The interviewer here recognizes the complexity inherent in the statement and observes, "So it's a totally different game at this point." Trufing replies, "That's Star Citizen." Gameplay loops varying from wandering in the desert to battleship combat.

Outpost simulation will include energy generation which might be a concern on planets with nighttime temperatures of -100 degrees where you'll need heaters. "Might be" planets with acidic atmosphere.

Medical gameplay question is "a tough one to answer because :siren:it is still very early." "There is no unifying design right now." :siren: He says he doesn't want to give specifics because things might change and that might upset people who were dreaming in a particular direction.

Re: NPCs ejecting from ships, they're working on changing from having separate ship AI and FPS AI to having the FPS AI controlling the guy controlling the ship. There will be cowardice values that might result in premature ejections or a brave AI commando trying to take an enemy down with him. This will play into you choosing your wingmen and crew management. A potential crewman might be an alcoholic and have blackouts during fights.

I wonder if this guy is in on everything and knowingly spouting bullshit or if he's actually delusional enough to think these are reasonable game design goals.

If this were literally any game other than Star Citizen, I'd have a hearty laugh at what is most obviously an epic trolling attempt.

Ironically, CIG's ineptitude is the only part of this project you can see from space.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I'm looking forward to Jan 21st now :)

TheOpenhouse are doing a 'SC - begining of the end' thing on that date.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dan trufin is really getting in line for the next Big Dreamer position at cig once chris goes on permanent holiday to a country with relaxed extradition policies

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I was expecting a little bit of ribbing or trolling but not literally 8 different people demanding to see my genitals within 24 hours. That's personal.

Also more assumptions about my gender and physical status.

Are you Sandi?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just a reminder, SQ42 is one game, divided into 5 chapters, with 3 "preludes". It is 320 gigs at least when complete. haha

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Earlier post brought up HBS with Battletech. They don't screw around with scope creep.

Meanwhile inxile I feel is turning into a junior version of CIG.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=codPNIBFAjQ&t=62s

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?"
-GBS

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i never heard an honest man use the word "legit"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I have, but it was only to assure me that he would never give up.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

I have, but it was only to assure me that he would never give up.

Please share the (probably terrifying) story attached to that anecdote

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

I don't play pc games much, though I may at one point do something with them. I never purchased Star Citizen but I'd play it if it came out as promised.

Understand that the "as promised" is the touchy part. What Star Citizen keeps releasing is nothing like the promises. From the wank pod grounding to the ship delay timers to even the healing mechanics.

The game being developed is not close to what's promised. The underlying mechanics aren't even there. Now admittedly I've never played it... so maybe I'm wrong.

Any event though, I give CIG credit where it is due. Some may disagree but their art is very good. The level art looks good. It's very generic sci fi but it's not amateur looking. Their high detail characters like Mark Hamill look really nice too.

Now from here it goes downhill. Animation, gameplay, system integrity, functionality, and most things not related to art are very sketchy. This is where amateur hour comes into play. Given the aspirations of the game, programming should be #1, or at least very very competent and on target. We don't get that with CIG. No matter how many times they refactor the appearance of a ship, it's not going to improve their coding ability.

I won't mention the management failure since it's all tied together and it's a very, very pretty failure. It's a tough thing because usually games don't start off with "final pass" level graphics. It's more like programmer art and placeholders. But CIG went backwards, which has worked out for them in the money collection department. Unfortunately it's given people a severe false sense of how far along the game is, co-joined with a constant stream of lies (pupil to planet, 3.0 peek, etc). It's a very pretty, very broken, game built on lies and misinformation.

But I want to give you a chance too if you're legitimate. :)

Why don't you tell us how mechanics like boarding, LTI, bounty hunting, trade, repair, healing, and of jump points will work?

Ma'am this is a Burger King drive thru

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

HycoCam posted:

In all fairness--SQ42 providing the cash to allow the continued development of Star Citizen was the original plan. Back in 2012/2013--CIG would create SQ42, it would be be received to rave reviews. Millions of copies would be sold, CIG would become for-realz game development studio, and the cash would roll in.

source your quotes.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They're making 2 AAA (arguably AAAA) games. It was always the plan to have SQ42 bring in tons of money. This is not new info.

That's what they claim they're trying to do, sadly they seem to be only capable of F's at best.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I was expecting a little bit of ribbing or trolling but not literally 8 different people demanding to see my genitals within 24 hours. That's personal.

Also more assumptions about my gender and physical status.

Look at this guy that's upset that so many people want to see his glorious, hairy ball bag.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Galarox posted:

Please share the (probably terrifying) story attached to that anecdote

Look at this guy that doesn't have the MC Hammer anthology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

scrubs season six posted:

Look at this guy that doesn't have the MC Hammer anthology