Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
not quite that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Liked the first episode of UNFORTUNATE EVENTS. Though I feel like they should've held off on that final scene for another few episodes. It kind of undercuts the tension.

There's a very good reason they did it this way. Just keep watching.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

whowhatwhere posted:

We survived pop-punk once, we can survive it again. My condolences to those who lose loved ones to terrible, terrible music.

The worst thing is that Green Day held on long enough to become SERIOUS contenders for the Rock n Roll HOF.
loving Green Day!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Snoopy posted:

The worst thing is that Green Day held on long enough to become SERIOUS contenders for the Rock n Roll HOF.
loving Green Day!

Sure, they let anyone into that thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You just have to be alive for 25 years

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Taboo is a good show with like 20 minutes of atmosphere shots that could be cut out of it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Escobarbarian posted:

i love pop-punk so bad

Yo me too.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I'm sorry, what?

As in hey let's make Mary a suffragette, and make Watson be a douche to her and the servant-lady for ~irony~. Oh what a coincidence that the episode in which we most directly show misogynist behavior is also the episode in which feminism is the main motivation for the crimes that are happening! We're thematic you guys!

It might work if it didn't force characters to behave inconsistently, and if so many of the "feminist" moments weren't made into weak silly gags (Mary: "I'm part of a campaign you know. Votes for women!" Lestrade: "Oh really? For or against?". This may be in character for Lestrade but it's painfully cringey when you're watching). It feels a lot like the writers decided at some point "Hey this feminism thing seems to be rather popular lately, we could probably score some points with viewers by writing a story about it". And then simply started writing some dialogue and jokes using a very superficial understanding of the topic. Feminism is unironical serious business and I find it marginally disturbing when I see what I perceive to be exploitation of it for profit.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 15, 2017

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Whoa, eps 7 and 8 of Travelers were kind of a holding pattern and then ep 9 :tviv:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dancer posted:

As in hey let's make Mary a suffragette, and make Watson be a douche to her and the servant-lady for ~irony~. Oh what a coincidence that the episode in which we most directly show misogynist behavior is also the episode in which feminism is the main motivation for the crimes that are happening! We're thematic you guys!

It might work if it didn't force characters to behave inconsistently, and if so many of the "feminist" moments weren't made into weak silly gags (Mary: "I'm part of a campaign you know. Votes for women!" Lestrade: "Oh really? For or against?". This may be in character for Lestrade but it's painfully cringey when you're watching). It feels a lot like the writers decided at some point "Hey this feminism thing seems to be rather popular lately, we could probably score some points with viewers by writing a story about it". And then simply started writing some dialogue and jokes using a very superficial understanding of the topic. Feminism is unironical serious business and I find it marginally disturbing when I see what I perceive to be exploitation of it profit.

The episode was apparently so forgettable that I don't recall any of this except the the awful Lestrade quip even as I'm reading it. Thank you for elaborating. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pop punk is far from the worst thing in the world. The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, The Gun Club, etc. All great.

I'm on episode 3 of Lemon Snickers and it's still the most awesome thing

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've started Sneaky Pete, and it's pretty good so far.

I'm probably gonna take a break to check out Series of Unfortunate Events, though, since I've heard nothing but good things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is getting creepy, because I was about to take a break from Snicket to watch Sneaky Pete.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Finished Serious of Unfortunate event, it picked up after the initial hump but the show largely feels meandering to me for some reason. Like it's not really a funny show and since it doesn't really take itself seriously the drama kinda fell flat for me. I know that it's supposed to be a kids adventure kind of deal but it just moves so slowly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's extremely funny

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I just started watching Falling Water and after 3 episodes I still want to continue watching. I love the fact that one of the characters is the pretty much the concept of Cayce Pollard from the Blue Ant Trilogy for seeing patterns or items and knowing they can and will be popular.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fallorn posted:

I just started watching Falling Water and after 3 episodes I still want to continue watching. I love the fact that one of the characters is the pretty much the concept of Cayce Pollard from the Blue Ant Trilogy for seeing patterns or items and knowing they can and will be popular.

I think Falling Water is pretty great.

I don't know the one rich guy's name, but in my brain he's just Notch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fallorn posted:

It's a very good show and yes, the Gibson influence is there in spades. The rich guy is basically Bigend from the same book.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Every time someone says Sneaky Pete I have to watch the Stinky Pete clips from Sealab 2021.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
ahhhhhh that Travelers cliffhanger noooooo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

I think it's extremely funny

Yeah it cracks me up constantly both with familiar jokes from the books and new ones that surprised me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kraps posted:

ahhhhhh that Travelers cliffhanger noooooo

Seriously, right as it was getting good...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Unfortunate Events, really liked all of it but I probably agree that episodes 3-4 were the best.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It makes sense, The Reptile Room is probably the strongest source material from the early books. I'm really pumped for where they're going to go from here since the next season covers the period where the books themselves started getting better and the larger story started coming into focus.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I tried, I really did with Unfortunate Events, but all I could get was loving abject misery. I get they were going for over the top silly with Olaf, but it was played just seriously enough that all it was was depressing. I couldn't even get past the first episode :(

Edit: I'm not familiar with the source material. It may get better, but considering Lemony Snicket spends most of his time telling you NO IT DOESN'T, I just can't.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 16, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He isn't lying about that so yes if that's genuinely a kind of story you can't handle then you're right not to watch it.

It's just how the story goes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate the name of the show. It reminds me of a few years ago where every other movie coming out had some wacky title like Dr. Wizards Discombobulating Machine of Spectacular Fizzlewobbles.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't know if ASoUE was good or if I even really liked it but if nothing else I can appreciate that Netflix was willing to get weird and make something that is so polarizing.

Polarizing is a word which in this case means "something not everyone likes but everyone feels strongly about".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Will have to try Unfortunate Events. I liked the books a lot when I was younger though I don't remember finishing the series. I even remember going to see the movie in the cinema.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

I don't know if ASoUE was good or if I even really liked it but if nothing else I can appreciate that Netflix was willing to get weird and make something that is so polarizing.

Polarizing is a word which in this case means "something not everyone likes but everyone feels strongly about".

We know what polarizing means.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

We know what polarizing means.

:thejoke:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Alas, I think it might be you to whom this emoticon applies

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I got the joke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I just sat through the first episode of A Series of Really Poorly Written Dialogue and uh, those of you that like this are eff'n nuts.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hm I don't think that's called for

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So I just sat through the first episode of A Series of Really Poorly Written Dialogue and uh, those of you that like this are eff'n nuts.

I think you are confusing poorly written for written in a style I don't like

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wandle Cax posted:

I think you are confusing poorly written for written in a style I don't like

Well yeah if that style is "stupid."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

Well yeah if that style is "stupid."

Why are you so boring?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

Why are you so boring?

Why do you care? gently caress off and put me on ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

Why do you care? gently caress off and put me on ignore.

I mean, geez, our old belligerent trolls at least fuckin tried, you know

• Locked thread