Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Freak Futanari posted:

I sorta want to buy Extella day one, but at the same time i learned two lessons from FFXV: Even the safest bet can turn out to be a lovely game, and every game goes on sale within a loving month on PSN anyway

My understanding of FFXV is that its a solid and decent game but the story kinda had some narrative/plot issues in the later bits that they're fixing with DLC? Or at least that was Jim Sterling's understanding; I played it a bit at my Sister's and she seemed to enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

My understanding of FFXV is that its a solid and decent game but the story kinda had some narrative/plot issues in the later bits that they're fixing with DLC? Or at least that was Jim Sterling's understanding; I played it a bit at my Sister's and she seemed to enjoy it.

The plot is almost non-existent, and what little of it DOES exist is loving stupid and full of plot holes so big you could drive the Final Fantasy Video Game Car through them. Large chunks were very obviously cut to be sold as DLC. The open world aspects are terrible, and the only sidequest that ISN'T a boring fetch-quest is, conveniently enough, the sidequest they showcased in the demo. The gameplay is really bad, since it boils down to "Hold O to win", and it's pretty much impossible to die since you can just spam items to cheese every fight. The few weapons in the game that are actually interesting drain your health when you use them, making them massively annoying to use.

After shelling out for the digital premium edition of that game, day one, like a total sucker, i'm definitely not going to be buying any other games day one for a while. Though Extella IS tempting me a lot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
How in the hell is a game that took a decade to go from announcement to release and such a dumpster fire it required them to change Dev teams in an effort to get the game out a 'safest bet'?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

FF15 is pretty good though, sorry :ssh:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In order to settle this massive difference in opinions, I must request your opinion of a different item in order to judge who is the better judge of a game's quality.

Tsukihime anime, what're your thoughts?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Argas posted:

In order to settle this massive difference in opinions, I must request your opinion of a different item in order to judge who is the better judge of a game's quality.

What Tsukihime anim-GRHGRRHGRHGRH*STABBED*.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Carnival Phantasm was pretty good.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Fate stuff in Carnival Phantasm was good. Was kinda meh on the Tsukihime stuff, but that may be because I never really got into it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Carnival Phantasm didn't have enough Ciel, that's the only complaint I could make.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Argas posted:

It's not very good but it made me aware of how Nakata was in loving everything

And how English localizers use Jamieson Price to voice Nakata's characters

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The only thing that was kinda a miss with me was Sakura as I hadn't seen Heaven's Feel yet and the domestic abuse was a little too close to home.

Yandere Stalker Sakura was gold though.

Captain Baal posted:

It's not very good but it made me aware of how Nakata was in loving everything

And how English localizers use Jamieson Price to voice Nakata's characters

Crispin Freeman is usually Kotomine iirc, and also Alucard.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also most of the Tsukihime gags in Carnival Phantasm aren't amazing but Aoko grooming Shiki to be husbando material was genuinely pretty drat funny

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raenir Salazar posted:

Crispin Freeman is usually Kotomine iirc, and also Alucard.

Price is Kirei's voice actor in the 2006 anime before Aniplex recasted him as Freeman

Idk why they did that, Price is perfect for the character, but Crispin Freeman is Crispin Freeman

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 15, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Raenir Salazar posted:

The only thing that was kinda a miss with me was Sakura as I hadn't seen Heaven's Feel yet and the domestic abuse was a little too close to home.

That whole scene was pretty much a metagag on how hard it is to actually write a comedic skit around Sakura. There's a reason Sakura was a silent background character for most of the show.

Also the Tsukihime segments of CP were pretty meh in general. They're a cast that just doesn't do very well outside of their own story.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, I didn't get the same 'eh' feeling from Melty. Unless 'their own story' includes that and isn't limited to the core game.

That said, I love the back alley alliance segments and I don't know why.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should be judged on the strength of their REJOICE.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BlitzBlast posted:

That whole scene was pretty much a metagag on how hard it is to actually write a comedic skit around Sakura. There's a reason Sakura was a silent background character for most of the show.

Also the Tsukihime segments of CP were pretty meh in general. They're a cast that just doesn't do very well outside of their own story.

I feel like Sakura had some opportunities for humour:

-Sakura doesn't take poo poo from Rin.
-Yandere tendancies (which they did a bit of, the OVA where she feed Shirou her worms was awesome in a :stare: sort of way.
-Scaring the poo poo out of Zouken and Shinji probably with her Grail powers as a sorta dark reprise of a iron willed Yamato Nadeshiko.
-You could probably spring a couple of jokes of her either being a better chef than Shirou, or a better Master than Shirou, and maybe to cap off the joke being even a better Archer than Shirou.
-IIRC Sakura's never interacted with Luvia or Illya; where Rin is quick to just sorta get violent with Luvia I could see Sakura being a little more clever.
-Also I don't think Sakura's ever met Archer.

Speaking of Archer, I wonder what would've happened if Gilgamesh became Sakura's Servant. Did Gil wandering around the Matou manor happen before or after Shirou getting stabbed by Cu?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was before also Gil would've poo poo endlessly on her. Gilgamesh does not care for Shinji and Sakura is the kind of weak willed person that he hates. It's pretty amazing Gil got along as well with Kirei as he did because he is like 2/6 for masters otherwise.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like Sakura had some opportunities for humour:

She definitely has potential (she's really good in HA), but CP in general tried not to touch on the more spoilery parts of its source material. It just used the characters' most recognizable traits/gags as their main characterizations, and unfortunately for Sakura that's pretty much just ~drama~.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know who would have gotten along really well with Gil? Me, I would have. We would have been good friends and done badass and cool things together. Saber would be like "Excali-" and then Gil would shoot 30 swords at her and give me a high five.

I also like the idea of Sakura meeting Archer. That situation has potential, what with Archer being older Shirou.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If anything Archer could probably make her feel less miserable but idk how Sakura's gonna take the person she loves turning himself into a tool of endless murder

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

An alternate war where Shirou summons Kidgamesh would be interesting.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Tsukihime anime's art followed the basic designs, but somehow made it so that they characters did not seem recognizable which is kind of an achievement (everyone looked like they were in their mid 20s when most of the cast is in high school or appears in their late teens).

Arcueid in CP is pure and good although what people say is true, Tsuki cast segments don't work as well outside their own story. Still doesn't stop Arc from being one of my top favorite TM heroines.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I forgot that Extella was next week but Yakuza 0 is also next week so sorry Extella

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: But the story is Nasu cashing in all the sci-fi aspects of the Extraverse though, so if you're up for a wild ride then Extella may be what you want. You, uh, might be a little confused if you're not familiar with the events of Extra and CCC though.

Like "why is Gilgamesh helping me?" confused.

In that case, anyone know a good place to get a plot synopsis of CCC?

Played through Extra a while back, and was gonna wait to see if anyone did CCC in english, but screw hanging around when I could be playing VIDEOGAMES.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The funniest part of Shirou's Archer future is that it apparently never occurred to Shirou that there are ways to help people and save lives other than murdering bad guys by shooting them in the face with arrows. Like, he could have just become a doctor or something. My personal belief is that the "I want to save people" stuff is just a cover for his desire to be a gritty badass.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JimmyT64 posted:

In that case, anyone know a good place to get a plot synopsis of CCC?

Played through Extra a while back, and was gonna wait to see if anyone did CCC in english, but screw hanging around when I could be playing VIDEOGAMES.

https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com

They are literally at the dead end of the game but rarely update so you will just have to read a plot synopsis to follow up on the rest of the story

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Captain Baal posted:

They are literally at the dead end of the game but rarely update so you will just have to read a plot synopsis to follow up on the rest of the story

Beautiful. Thats my reading materiel sorted for the next week or so. Ta!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Captain Baal posted:

Waiting for the fan-translation has felt like waiting for Guts to get off the boat. Guts is on dry land, so you just gotta keep believing that it will come through, too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of reading material, Camelot has finally been fully summarized.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ytlaya posted:

The funniest part of Shirou's Archer future is that it apparently never occurred to Shirou that there are ways to help people and save lives other than murdering bad guys by shooting them in the face with arrows. Like, he could have just become a doctor or something. My personal belief is that the "I want to save people" stuff is just a cover for his desire to be a gritty badass.

Pretty sure it's because of his survivors guilt leading him to push himself into the most dangerous positions possible while still being able to help people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty sure it's because of his survivors guilt leading him to push himself into the most dangerous positions possible while still being able to help people.

Become a doctor in a war torn country then? And it's a little questionable to just assume that whoever the gently caress is ordering him to kill these folks (pre-becoming a Counter Guardian) is correct. It's not like there's some neutral "Organisation that only kills dudes for completely moral reasons, for serious guys".

It's also a little strange that Shirou apparently doesn't make any efforts towards pursuing this goal before graduating high school. It's not like we see him volunteering to help at the local soup kitchen or aggressively training to be a badass soldier. Apparently he decides to put that off until after graduating high school for some reason.

(This isn't actually a serious concern; I get that the story needed "ally of justice who kills bad guys" to be an actual realistic profession someone can pursue.)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 16, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think if it were our timeline he basically leaves to join the Pershmerga to fight ISIS asap.

As for why he decides to wait until after he graduates it probably has to do with Taiga's family being scary as hell and they'd refuse to let him leave while still a minor.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Become a doctor in a war torn country then?

"Okay patient, I need you to hold still while I stick this legendary weapon inside you. Don't look at me like that; it's not a suppository."

Yes, I know that it was Excalibur's sheath and not the sword.

And Shirou is the chronic helper around his school and neighborhood before the Fifth Holy Grail War kicks off. If the HGW hadn't happened,. I'm fairly certain he wouldn't have become EMIYA-Archer. He'd just be the cool neighborhood dude who helps everyone and hosts the tastiest BBQs.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

AfroSquirrel posted:

"Okay patient, I need you to hold still while I stick this legendary weapon inside you. Don't look at me like that; it's not a suppository."

Yes, I know that it was Excalibur's sheath and not the sword.

And Shirou is the chronic helper around his school and neighborhood before the Fifth Holy Grail War kicks off. If the HGW hadn't happened,. I'm fairly certain he wouldn't have become EMIYA-Archer. He'd just be the cool neighborhood dude who helps everyone and hosts the tastiest BBQs.

Nah, I'm pretty sure he'd be ripe to pull a Caro as Raenir Salazar said.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tarezax posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure he'd be ripe to pull a Caro as Raenir Salazar said.

Also iirc in Fate/Extra he used a sniper rifle at some point.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

IIRC isn't there something about him originally intending to be a lawyer?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Rodyle posted:

IIRC isn't there something about him originally intending to be a lawyer?

Emiya Shirou: Ace Attorney

Investigate crime scenes and grill witnesses as you attempt to find out who killed Lancer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Become a doctor in a war torn country then? And it's a little questionable to just assume that whoever the gently caress is ordering him to kill these folks (pre-becoming a Counter Guardian) is correct. It's not like there's some neutral "Organisation that only kills dudes for completely moral reasons, for serious guys".

It's also a little strange that Shirou apparently doesn't make any efforts towards pursuing this goal before graduating high school. It's not like we see him volunteering to help at the local soup kitchen or aggressively training to be a badass soldier. Apparently he decides to put that off until after graduating high school for some reason.

(This isn't actually a serious concern; I get that the story needed "ally of justice who kills bad guys" to be an actual realistic profession someone can pursue.)

Doctor Tenma in Monster ends up joining Doctors Without Borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tarezax posted:

Emiya Shirou: Ace Attorney

Investigate crime scenes and grill witnesses as you attempt to find out who killed Lancer

And then it turns out it was a Murder on the Orient Express scenario.