Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Even if VR "dies", it'll just get more expensive and be a niche thing for all the cockpit games (like all the other pc game peripherals ever), because they're objectively better in VR. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Worst case SteamVR sticks around because they still have Big Screen for some reason. And then we'll get really expensive niche headsets for sims.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
ARMS should be for VR

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

Even if VR "dies", it'll just get more expensive and be a niche thing for all the cockpit games (like all the other pc game peripherals ever), because they're objectively better in VR. :v:

Even if it died on the desktop (which I really doubt at this point given how many companies are going in on the tech), I'd actually expect GearVR or something like it to keep the idea going. It actually works unlike how fudged Cardboard is, and the buy-in is only about $100-150 on top of a smartphone a sizeable number of people already own. Or can be bought for the price of a phone plan, nevermind the possible freebie gift of one that might occur with said plan. Even PSVR is at least being slapped onto a pre-existing console that's widely popular, and sold out at launch (how it might do long-term though is anyone's guess).

The real hangup right now is only on videogame graphics quality and the buy-in associated with that, just using a GearVR for basic entertainment 'experiences', 3D films, or whatever works well enough that it'd keep people buying for novelty purposes if nothing else until the tech catches up from the low-end side of it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Approaching the last stretch of Arizona Sunshine and the game has really grown on me. While there's a fair amount of jank and rough edges, it feels really good to play a VR game that actually has some structure and progression. As I mentioned before, the protagonist isn't as irritating as the trailers make him come across and can actually be kind of funny sometimes, though the writing isn't exactly anything special and sometimes a little cringeworthy. The teleporting movement/rotation mechanic is good enough for traversal but completely garbage for combat, but once you get used to the reload mechanics and moving your hands to your waist to switch weapons around, the combat can actually feel really rewarding when it all clicks. Zombies blow apart in a satisfying manner, they spawn with different outfits and properties that force you to switch up your combat style (Fast/slow zombies, body armour, growths, helmets etc) and the weapons themselves are varied enough that you can eventually find a loadout you can rely on for the rest of the game.

It's worth stating that people looking for a super serious zombie survival game will be disappointed, and the lack of any interaction outside of blasting zombies and some light lever pulling is a constant sticking point. You'll get to certain quiet points in the game where you'll go into a building and will naturally start looking for signs of habitation or objects to pick up and examine for worldbuilding reasons, but the devs must not have thought that this was important because other than a couple of placable objects that are repeated throughout the game, there's rarely anything unique to see other than a new weapon. The game does lack a lot of the polish you're probably used to in non-VR games, but after getting past a particularly frustrating zombie horde segment in the caves (I needed to aim better and kneecap problematic zombies so I could kill them later) I've really enjoyed everything I've played in it. It's got heart and it's a pretty tantalising look into the potential that bigger budget games have to offer.

The first team who makes a game which is less combat oriented and instead tells a great zombie apocalypse story through the other strengths of VR, such as sense of place and atmosphere, are going to be critically applauded. There are lots of places in Arizona Sunshine that actually have quite a lot of atmosphere (The caves are great for this) but without the finer details, the world can't help but feel a little flat. But as far as VR shooters go, the extra meat on its bones from having a full campaign you progress through makes it feel a lot more valuable as an experience as opposed to the glut of wave based shooters that are available.

(And for anyone's whose arms are aching from holding the torch up at the weird shoulder level in the caves, try holding it like this instead. Feels much more comfortable that way, and it works! Just avoid pressing the grip button by accident so your gun gets switched around.)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Since you're approaching the last stretch, how long do you estimate the game is?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Those terrified eyes wondering when this hell will be over.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even if it died on the desktop (which I really doubt at this point given how many companies are going in on the tech), I'd actually expect GearVR or something like it to keep the idea going. It actually works unlike how fudged Cardboard is, and the buy-in is only about $100-150 on top of a smartphone a sizeable number of people already own. Or can be bought for the price of a phone plan, nevermind the possible freebie gift of one that might occur with said plan.

Isn't Daydream basically Gear+1? It has a functional controller and whatnot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Isn't Daydream basically Gear+1? It has a functional controller and whatnot.

Pretty much, yeah. It'll apparently work with GearVR-compatible Samsung phones eventually too, not just the Pixel.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I had a decent go of Daydream and found it pretty impressive for what it was. I still think positional tracking for the HMD is necessary for it to become more than a toy, though the controller works surprisingly well.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I don't know if you guys have been staying up on the Zenimax vs Oculus lawsuit, but the other day John Carmack stated on the stand '‘I am not a Mac user unless under duress" which is pretty funny imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SwissCM posted:

I had a decent go of Daydream and found it pretty impressive for what it was. I still think positional tracking for the HMD is necessary for it to become more than a toy, though the controller works surprisingly well.

The good thing with (good) phone VR is that all they really are is a box-o'-sensors, and I wouldn't be surprised to see positional tracking turn up within a year just from sheer rote evolution on the hardware.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The good thing with (good) phone VR is that all they really are is a box-o'-sensors, and I wouldn't be surprised to see positional tracking turn up within a year just from sheer rote evolution on the hardware.

That's what Project Tango was supposed to do, but it just went silent months ago. Unfortunately it's not really clear whether the extra sensors needed for position tracking have any value on a phone outside of VR, and I suspect the amount of hardware people are willing to pay for in a slot-in-your-phone device is pretty small.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the best buy cable fuckin sucks:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-9-vr-extension-cable-black/5706844.p?skuId=5706844

I'm sure it's just the mismash of usb controllers that can't keep up with the power/data requirements, power savings and other stuff like that.

I've had some issues lately with a USB cable that's worked perfectly for weeks now refusing to stay connected for more than a few seconds.

I ordered a PCIe USB 3.0 card that also takes SATA/molex power, optimistic that'll finally put things to rest.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

StarkRavingMad posted:

Since you're approaching the last stretch, how long do you estimate the game is?

About 3-4 hours for the campaign. It also has a multiplayer horde mode.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Has anyone got sprinting to work in Onward with with Rift+Touch? Also, how come I can't reload some guns like the FAMAS? Or fire a machine gun at all? Game's unplayable right now. Shame because it seems like a ton of fun

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Has anyone got sprinting to work in Onward with with Rift+Touch? Also, how come I can't reload some guns like the FAMAS? Or fire a machine gun at all? Game's unplayable right now. Shame because it seems like a ton of fun

Haven't used the FAMAS but you need to feed the belt into the machine gun and cock it before you can fire. Maybe with the FAMAS and other similar guns you need to hold the release-mag button as you pull the magazine. Sprinting I assume is holding the analog stick while moving and fully stood up.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKbYYcJlOfg

Made a video showing off H3VR a bit.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Haven't used the FAMAS but you need to feed the belt into the machine gun and cock it before you can fire. Maybe with the FAMAS and other similar guns you need to hold the release-mag button as you pull the magazine. Sprinting I assume is holding the analog stick while moving and fully stood up.

Yes, many guns (most Volt ones) you need to hold the eject sequence down (analog down + click) while you physically remove it with your other hand. Sprinting is double-clicking on your analog.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Follow-up: PCI Express USB 3.0 card definitely helped. No more issues with connectivity, headset has a 3m passive cable and one camera a 5m active cable.

This is what I bought, allegedly oculus' recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, if you're loving around with cables and poo poo like I was maybe just get one of those.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

NRVNQSR posted:

That's what Project Tango was supposed to do, but it just went silent months ago. Unfortunately it's not really clear whether the extra sensors needed for position tracking have any value on a phone outside of VR, and I suspect the amount of hardware people are willing to pay for in a slot-in-your-phone device is pretty small.

The positional tracking in the Tango tablet worked very, very well. Good enough to build decently accurate maps of rooms. It could also gulp the oversized battery in the tablet down in 30 minutes flat. Microsoft's positional tracking in the Hololens (also rock solid) appears to be done on specialized hardware, which makes this less of a problem. And this is what will probably be in their headsets.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
While I'm waiting for my Oculus to get here, I got a couple of questions I can't find the answer to yet on Google.

What's the range on the sensor thing you have in front of you?
Can you put it on the ceiling and have it aim at you in say ca a 45 degree angle?
If so, does it come with screw holes or a different solution for mounting it on the ceiling/wall?
How long is the cable from the sensor to the computer?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dongattack posted:

What's the range on the sensor thing you have in front of you?

About 7 to 11 feet or so.

Dongattack posted:

Can you put it on the ceiling and have it aim at you in say ca a 45 degree angle?

Yes. I mounted mine on extendable photography light stands.

Dongattack posted:

If so, does it come with screw holes or a different solution for mounting it on the ceiling/wall?

The sensor can be screwed off of its pole revealing a standard 1/4-20 photography bolt.

Dongattack posted:

How long is the cable from the sensor to the computer?

2.5 meters long. You can buy an active USB 3 extension cable and it works great.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Nalin posted:

About 7 to 11 feet or so.

Yes. I mounted mine on extendable photography light stands.

The sensor can be screwed off of its pole revealing a standard 1/4-20 photography bolt.

2.5 meters long. You can buy an active USB 3 extension cable and it works great.

Thank you! A followup question, does it have to be in front of you or can I put it to the side of me? Temporary while i get the things I need to mount it on the ceiling.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Technically you can put it anywhere in range as there are IR LEDs all around the headset, but the highest density is still the front of the headset. If you place it to your side, just have that be your front view.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Nalin posted:

Technically you can put it anywhere in range as there are IR LEDs all around the headset, but the highest density is still the front of the headset. If you place it to your side, just have that be your front view.

Cool, thanks!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ita meant to be like the vive where you double tap the pad while pointing at the ground or near enough and you sprint. Just doesnt seem to work with the touch sticks. Ill try that magazine stuff though, cheers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FormatAmerica posted:

Follow-up: PCI Express USB 3.0 card definitely helped. No more issues with connectivity, headset has a 3m passive cable and one camera a 5m active cable.

This is what I bought, allegedly oculus' recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, if you're loving around with cables and poo poo like I was maybe just get one of those.

USB3 compatibility was a nightmare when building the Rift. Every chipset is special, the standard is a ruse.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

USB3 compatibility was a nightmare when building the Rift. Every chipset is special, the standard is a ruse.

It worked great until i introduced cable extensions, then it worked great for a while on a couple different computers then randomly broke.

Software seems the culprit, but easier to transcend the issue through hardware standardization :10bux:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Ita meant to be like the vive where you double tap the pad while pointing at the ground or near enough and you sprint. Just doesnt seem to work with the touch sticks. Ill try that magazine stuff though, cheers

Game works fine on the rift+touch but there is a bit of a learning curve to know how to do everything.
I'll be playing tonight, send me a PM with your steam name if you want someone to do a once over with everything.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Played superhot with the oculus touch controllers and it was maybe the best VR gaming experience I've had so far (besides flight sims)? Can't wait for more stuff like this.

-I will say that I hate how Oculus pretends like you can just open your hand and pick stuff up in-game without the controller falling right off
-I think I prefer Vive's more honest "you better hold on to these fuckers"

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Use your wrist straps please.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you let go of something, turns out you drop it.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
yyyyyyeah ok surprise responses. my controllers still haven't touched anything but my silky soft hands you sweethearts :bigtran:

Seriously though, they cue you to open your hands and reach out in the tutorials, they make a big show of 'disappearing' the controllers and leaving your perfect virtual hand avatar representations, the rings imply some kind of freedom to let go, but really, you still just grab poo poo with your middle finger, and putting all the solid grip on just your pinky and ring fingers feels sorta meh. They're neat and good controllers but it's kinda weak when they tell you to "open your hands" and you can only actually do that when your palms are facing forward.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I dunno, you use them enough and your pinky finger learns to hold on and it feels natural.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
what goons are playing onward?

Steam ID: wade_1125

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TomR posted:

I dunno, you use them enough and your pinky finger learns to hold on and it feels natural.

I use the wrist straps, but if I throw something like a grenade and splay all my fingers out as I do it, they catch the Touch ring and it stays within my grip.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

If you let go of something, turns out you drop it.

Not those cool vive controller prototypes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I do agree it's weird that my third and fourth fingers are never open but the in game hands always show them as such.