Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I use Diamond and he's still way too salty.
yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Just loaded up 2 steaks I cut from a sirloin tip roast into the meat jacuzzi. Going to run them at 131 for 6-8 hours.

Trying out my MacGuyver'd together rack and binder clip system.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
Multitasking with some beef shoulder in for 48 hours and beef short ribs in for 72, all at 135. Would have gone for 131 but the girl doesn't like things as rare as I do.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I use regular Morton kosher salt and I've yet to make a Kenji recipe that tasted too salty to me, but maybe I just love my salt. I remember Alton Brown having a similar problem - he writes about it in the good eats pizza dough recipe how he realized he just likes a lot more salt than most people.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Dem Bones posted:

Multitasking with some beef shoulder in for 48 hours and beef short ribs in for 72, all at 135. Would have gone for 131 but the girl doesn't like things as rare as I do.

Curious to know how the Short Ribs turn out. I saved some ribs from a Ribeye roast that I cut and I don't know what to do with them. Suggestions welcome.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

sterster posted:

Curious to know how the Short Ribs turn out. I saved some ribs from a Ribeye roast that I cut and I don't know what to do with them. Suggestions welcome.

Throw them in a smoker.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Trying the sous vide carnitas thing posted above, I did the ones out of modernist cuisine a while back and was fairly disappointed compared to the old school recipe I use normally, so I hope these turn out better. I did modify the seasoning a little bit, way less cinnamon plus a few extras. Went for the middle time/temp range, 72.5c for 18-20 hours depending on when we want to eat tomorrow. I like that on this recipe he stepped back to "season generously" instead of calling for like two and a half loving ounces of kosher salt are you kidding me for a 4-5# cut of meat.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Dacap posted:

Just loaded up 2 steaks I cut from a sirloin tip roast into the meat jacuzzi. Going to run them at 131 for 6-8 hours.

Trying out my MacGuyver'd together rack and binder clip system.

Follow up!

Ended up vizzling the steaks for 9 hrs. Seared on cast iron in grapeseed oil and butter for about 30 secs a side

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mikey Purp posted:

By a random stroke of luck Kenji posted his sous vide carnitas article the day before I was planning on making some using his traditional "no waste" method, so I gave the sous vide method a whirl instead and we had them for dinner last night.

Verdict: awesome, and probably the easiest carnitas prep I've ever done. No cubing pork, no fiddling with lard, just slice a boneless pork shoulder, vacuum seal it with a stick of cinnamon, some bay leaves, salt and an orange and puddle it at 165 for 18 hours. It shredded perfectly and the texture was noticeably more tender than traditional carnitas, but I was still able to get great crispiness on them under the broiler. I also got about 2-3 cups of very gelatinous pork stock out of the deal, which I'm planning on working into some ramen or something. The one thing I think I will change next time is half the cinnamon. It wasn't overpowering the way it was, but I prefer my carnitas a bit more savory.

Overall, this method is stupid easy and puts out absurdly good carnitas. I probably won't go back to doing them the traditional way any time soon.

Funny, I get a Joule for Christmas and when I find the thread to post my results the first recipe I see is for the exact thing I made!

In my oven, 5 minutes was enough under the broiler, flipping after 3, but ymmv.

I'm hella happy with my Joule! So far, just this and the Chef Steps overnight bacon. Pro-tip: when people say crème brûlée torches are not good for bacon, listen. Just use a frying pan; it's easy enough to clean. Thankfully, I only did a small test piece with the torch.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

Throw them in a smoker.

Don't have a smoker I suppose I could do the whole fake smoker grill thing with my propane grill.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just started an 18 hour cook for the carnitas. I have them double bagged with a ziploc inner bag and a vacuum seal outer bag.
For the ziploc, I dunked it in water to remove most of the air and then I vacuum sealed that in a normal vac bag.

After submerging, I obviously didn't remove all the air from the ziploc.

I have both bags submerged underwater but there is clearly some air in the ziploc bag.

Even though there is still a bit of air, since it's underwater should it be ok?

E: never mind, rebagged it anyways.

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 16, 2017

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Just vacuum seal once! I've never had a vac seal bag fail, even after 72 hrs.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheReverend posted:

Just vacuum seal once! I've never had a vac seal bag fail, even after 72 hrs.

It was water displacement with a ziploc.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

kirtar posted:

It was water displacement with a ziploc.

and then vac sealed, in a second bag.

just do one vac seal bag for long cooks, you'll be fine.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah the whole reason I did it twice is because I couldn't vac seal all the orange liquid.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tried the carnitas recipe posted above, texture was good after a quick fry in cast iron but flavor was off. I guess I'll try my own seasoning next time and just use the same time/temp.

Also yeah my orange was super juicy and even splitting the recipe into 4 1# bags with a quarter orange each and manually vaccing I had to do a second seal (and my drip tray overflowed).

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
You could freeze the juice, then seal the frozen juice.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I might just make recado rojo and rub the pork with that next time, that's probably closer to the flavor profile I'm looking for and much easier to deal with as far as sous vide goes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Throw can of condensed milk into 85C puddle, take out after 12 hours, instant dulce de leche happiness.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So my carnitas turned out horribly-I did 165 at 18 hours and while it was easy to shred, one I put it under the broiler, the meat instantly went dry as could be. I seasoned it with salt and cumin after shredding and before broiling, and then tried to add some lime juice, but it was very dry. I tried two batches-one under the broiler for 7 minutes, and the other for only 3...the 7 minute one was dry to a crisp, and the 3 minute one wasn't browned, but tasted very dry.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sex swing from IKEA posted:

So my carnitas turned out horribly-I did 165 at 18 hours and while it was easy to shred, one I put it under the broiler, the meat instantly went dry as could be. I seasoned it with salt and cumin after shredding and before broiling, and then tried to add some lime juice, but it was very dry. I tried two batches-one under the broiler for 7 minutes, and the other for only 3...the 7 minute one was dry to a crisp, and the 3 minute one wasn't browned, but tasted very dry.

Put it closer to the broiler. You're not getting enough direct heat if 3 min doesn't brown or you need to get the outside dry enough.

Wait, you're not broiling the shredded meat, right? That seems like a very poor idea.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

baquerd posted:

Put it closer to the broiler. You're not getting enough direct heat if 3 min doesn't brown or you need to get the outside dry enough.

Wait, you're not broiling the shredded meat, right? That seems like a very poor idea.

That's what the recipe said (shred then broil).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

I browned in a cast iron pan after shredding (185F / 20h) and it was pretty great. A little over cooked, because I should have taken it out ~4 hours earlier, but quite enjoyable with lime/cilantro/onion/radish.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah, nothing wrong with broiling after shredding. That's what I did and they were great.

I'm kinda stumped as to what could have gone wrong. How thinly did you slice the pork and how finely did it shred? Also, you definitely used shoulder and not something leaner, right?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah, nothing wrong with broiling after shredding. That's what I did and they were great.

I'm kinda stumped as to what could have gone wrong. How thinly did you slice the pork and how finely did it shred? Also, you definitely used shoulder and not something leaner, right?

The pork was cut into probably 1.5-2" thick steaks almost. I think I shredded it a bit too fine-I've made pulled pork in the slow cooker before and was used to that instead of keeping big chunks. I tried the pork prior to broiling and it tasted a bit dry too. I think in retrospect I should have reserved some of the liquid and added that back to the shredded mix.

Also, I threw away all the fat prior to broiling. I don't think I'll be trying the recipe again, though-too much of a pain to let the immersion circulator go all day just to have it turn into that.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

sterster posted:

The short ribs turned out amazing. Juicy, tender, and delicious. A+ would short rib again

The shoulder steaks turned out pretty good, slightly south of medium and a little drier than I'd like. Wonder if some of that is capillary action from the vac seal or if it would have just been better with less juice loss at e.g. 131F.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, next time I'm "shredding" the carnitas into larger chunks. Would be better that way.

I just made delicious chicken tikka from a whole chicken - it was great! I had to modify the recipe but my modifications worked quite well.

Chicken Tikka Masala and our favorite mint chutney to go with it!

Just do the sheet pan veggies as the recipe intends and follow my notes on how to sous-vidify the chicken.

E: My carnitas were very good. Broiled as close as possible, thought they needed more salt.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 17, 2017

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I also just did the carnitas and had similar problems. They were a bit dry (but not inedibly so) and the flavor wasn't really right. Also, as much as people complain about the amount of salt in Kenji's recipes, this one only said "season generously" and I must have missed the mark because the first thing someone said was "needs more salt."

I'll have to try a different recipe and put them closer to the broiler I guess. I really want some good carnitas...

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
drat, I was going to try that carnitas recipe this weekend but now I'm not so sure.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I made the carnitas and they were fantastic. The orange flavor came through well and the pork itself was very tender. In the final shredding step I did have relatively large chunks of pork left over, so it's likely that that's why they didn't dry out as much as other people reported. I also made a quick pan sauce out of the bag juices which turned out well.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I tried kenjis brisket recipe and it was poo poo. Dry as hell. Absolutely gutted.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Kenji, come back to us, brother.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Bape Culture posted:

I tried kenjis brisket recipe and it was poo poo. Dry as hell. Absolutely gutted.

I think you did something wrong.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
One of,Kenji's long vizzle recipes was bad for me as well, dry and mega salty

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Maybe my household just loves salt :shrug:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
His brisket didn't turn out all that well for me either. Still edible but wouldn't do it again, at least at the higher temperature.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm a firm believer that SV will not produce real bbq results. it doesn't matter how much you gently caress with it it's not going to be as good as real BBQ.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Dirk the Average posted:

I made the carnitas and they were fantastic. The orange flavor came through well and the pork itself was very tender. In the final shredding step I did have relatively large chunks of pork left over, so it's likely that that's why they didn't dry out as much as other people reported. I also made a quick pan sauce out of the bag juices which turned out well.

How long did you let the meat marinate before cooking? I'm wondering if that's where my problem was, because as soon as I bagged it, I dropped it in the cambro. The recipe doesn't suggest otherwise, but I wonder if letting it sit in the fridge for 24 hours might have helped.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, brisket isn't really a cut I would think would be great done sous vide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

rockcity posted:

Yeah, brisket isn't really a cut I would think would be great done sous vide.

Unless there's a requirement for "smoke", like in a barbecue, brisket is a perfect cut of meat for SV because it requires very low, very consistent temperature to break everything down. There's a ton of brisket preparations that don't involve smoke and several that require low, slow braising in liquid.

I made this recipe a while back and it was amazing - and it's what I'm considering trying SV next:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/braised-brisket-with-bourbon-peach-glaze