Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My main problem with pro wrestling is the terminology and the made up words like kayfabe. You can't call the good/bad guy "the good/bad guy", no it has to be a "face" or a "heel", etc. It's like you're intentionally trying to make people sound like idiots when discussing it.

I also never really understood the "it's like a soap opera" defense. You're in your mid 30s, liking soap operas isn't really something most people would brag about.

I mean those terms are old carnival terms. They were never actually meant for every day people to use. They were only ever meant for the workers because they were trying to put one over on the marks. It's just as time went on fans learned the terms and the line between kayfabe and reality blurred so they just kind of became words every one said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Pro-wrestling is an inherently immoral, barbaric form of entertainment that represents the decadence and downfall of American culture, and its toxic influence on the world.

I don't actually believe you hold this (rather popular) opinion.

oldpainless posted:

If I don't post.....ILL DIE

[In Patrick Zimmerman voice] Post... DIE!!!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

It's pretty weird how pretty much every wrestler from the last 20 years is either dead from suicide or in jail. Except for The Rock.

actually all the wrestlers from the last 20 years are still the main eventers lol

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't really visit the site often when Metal Gear Scanlon was going on, was Drew just not drawn into the MGS games?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

KrayG posted:

I didn't really visit the site often when Metal Gear Scanlon was going on, was Drew just not drawn into the MGS games?

I don't really know what relevance this has to the thread, but I've just gotten into that video series. It appears he's played through 1-5 and is currently playing through Revengeance, so...?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It just weirds me out how popular wrestling is with nerds. That isn't the way things are supposed to work.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Big muscle men in tights with lovely plot-lines. Who'd have thought nerds be into that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It just weirds me out how popular wrestling is with nerds. That isn't the way things are supposed to work.

What are nerds supposed to be into exactly? Video games where big muscle guys beat guys up? Fantasy novels where big muscle guys beat guys up? Comic books where big muscle guys beat guys up?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I stand by my years-old assertion that the wrestling and anime subforums are begging to be combined.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I also never really understood the "it's like a soap opera" defense. You're in your mid 30s, liking soap operas isn't really something most people would brag about.

people aren't bragging, you fall into a soap opera spiral when you begrudgingly watch a few episodes for whatever reason but then continue watching because you're invested in seeing the resolution/outcome of a feud, with like 30 going on at once there's an okay chance one may capture your attention especially since most 'actors' ham it up for effect and the storylines aren't subtle

i'm not really a wrestling nerd but in the late 90s - early 00 the company had a substantial amount of talent and a kind of weird charisma that made you want to follow the going ons of, say, a giant beefy goth in either his title aspirations or in his formation of a weird doomsday cult, those factors helped make it the most mainstream it's ever been

nowadays from what i can gather fans are more interested in following careers like the rise and fall of Bryan Daniels (??), an extremely normal looking person who came from the minors and went all the way to riling up whole stadiums as champion despite never being the kind of athlete the company traditionally backs (then retiring from injury) or more current threads like seeing if Nakamura, a very talent man from japan, will do well in a market that has never responded well to imported talent - there's also a developmental division now to cater to this kind of interest

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I watch wrestling for the social commentary.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched the press conference one and it was just the same tired pee jokes we've been hearing the past several days+ straight :shrug: Watching Trump himself speak is often funnier than what Baldwin does.

Unpopular TV opinion: I just finished rewatching Dexter and the ending really isn't nearly as bad as I remembered thinking/hearing it was. I actually like it now. The treadmill scene is still awful but the rest of that season and the finale are pretty good. The real worst season+season finale was season 5.

Baldwins impression of trump is funny because it really pisses trump off. It's not a perfect impression but it antagonizes all of his insecurities. It's not about him being a rich rear end in a top hat, but a petty, childish idiot. Which is wonderful.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

people aren't bragging, you fall into a soap opera spiral when you begrudgingly watch a few episodes for whatever reason but then continue watching because you're invested in seeing the resolution/outcome of a feud, with like 30 going on at once there's an okay chance one may capture your attention especially since most 'actors' ham it up for effect and the storylines aren't subtle

i'm not really a wrestling nerd but in the late 90s - early 00 the company had a substantial amount of talent and a kind of weird charisma that made you want to follow the going ons of, say, a giant beefy goth in either his title aspirations or in his formation of a weird doomsday cult, those factors helped make it the most mainstream it's ever been

nowadays from what i can gather fans are more interested in following careers like the rise and fall of Bryan Daniels (??), an extremely normal looking person who came from the minors and went all the way to riling up whole stadiums as champion despite never being the kind of athlete the company traditionally backs (then retiring from injury) or more current threads like seeing if Nakamura, a very talent man from japan, will do well in a market that has never responded well to imported talent - there's also a developmental division now to cater to this kind of interest

That's actually basically what happened

People used to be invested in the characters and the storyline outcome. But now there's an entire industry dedicated to the backstage drama and so the characters and the actual performers are intertwined, and people want to see the people succeed cause they know they're worthy of it. Daniel Bryan is obviously the main case of this, an extremely talented wrestler who's like 5'8 and the wwe kept trying to bury but the fans refused and basically rebelled until they were forced to let him be the top guy. Wrestling is so weird and nuanced now that it's almost impossible to understand how it works without having invested years in it already. It's the weirdest business that exists

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
While I doubt I will ever watch wrestling, I must admit they produced something pretty entertaining in the form of The Iron Sheik's twitter.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
NCIS' goofy forensic poo poo is half the fun and getting angry over its inaccuracies is missing the point.

Gibbs. :allears:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

While I doubt I will ever watch wrestling, I must admit they produced something pretty entertaining in the form of The Iron Sheik's twitter.

Let me ruin that for you

his weird nephews write it to make money off selling merch and he has little if anything to actually do with it. They do it for a few other older wrestlers too

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My reason for liking fight scenes in movies and not wrestling is because films forcefully control the scope, speed and angles to make a fight scene look cool. Wrestling doesn't have the cinematography of a well-filmed fight scene. Likewise, poorly-filmed fight scenes are a goddamn slog.
I have a real hard time enjoying TV or movies I hate the look of, which is a surprisingly unpopular opinion.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

People used to be invested in the characters and the storyline outcome.

It's also why I can't get too mad at Landis' liberal interpretation of HHH's career in his short film because at the heart of it he does convey why fans stick around. His use of models to depict wrestlers may have come off as douchey, he sorta is too tbh, but he is a professional film-maker and in his AMA he mentions that he knew he was going to stretch the facts and using women to represent men (his terms: contrasting iconography) was a deliberate choice to divorce his film from reality iirc.

Twitter
Feb 16, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/manthaaa_01/status/790988862390611968

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Let me ruin that for you

his weird nephews write it to make money off selling merch and he has little if anything to actually do with it. They do it for a few other older wrestlers too

All I wanted was to be made humble...is nothing in this wrestling world real..

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

hard counter posted:

It's also why I can't get too mad at Landis' liberal interpretation of HHH's career in his short film because at the heart of it he does convey why fans stick around. His use of models to depict wrestlers may have come off as douchey, he sorta is too tbh, but he is a professional film-maker and in his AMA he mentions that he knew he was going to stretch the facts and using women to represent men (his terms: contrasting iconography) was a deliberate choice to divorce his film from reality iirc.

I thought the use of skinny models to play the roles of gargantuan wrastlers was funny and good.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I remember John Cena was on an episode of Psych as a good guy, but it turned out he was a bad guy. But it's okay, because he became a good guy at the end again. But he still went to prison... or so they thought. DUN DUN DUUUUN.

Welp!

That's my wrestling story! Thanks for reading! *does a Triple H crotch chop*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Let me ruin that for you

Are they the guys who get Virgil to appear everywhere to sell overpriced autographs?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bradzilla posted:

actually all the wrestlers from the last 20 years are still the main eventers lol

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but the Undertaker needs to retire immediately, if not sooner. It's just sad seeing him stagger out to the ring and pretend like he can still wrestle when it's pretty obvious he can barely walk. Putting him in the Royal Rumble is just the worst idea.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Let me ruin that for you

How would that ruin it? The Iron Sheik is a fictional character, not a real person. Who cares who writes his lines as long as you enjoy them?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tiggum posted:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but the Undertaker needs to retire immediately, if not sooner. It's just sad seeing him stagger out to the ring and pretend like he can still wrestle when it's pretty obvious he can barely walk. Putting him in the Royal Rumble is just the worst idea.

If his condition is as bad as you say, putting him in the royal rumble is better than a regular match as there are lots of people to keep your attention so you don't have to see Undertaker turn to dust and blow away before your eyes.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Das Boo posted:

My reason for liking fight scenes in movies and not wrestling is because films forcefully control the scope, speed and angles to make a fight scene look cool. Wrestling doesn't have the cinematography of a well-filmed fight scene. Likewise, poorly-filmed fight scenes are a goddamn slog.
I have a real hard time enjoying TV or movies I hate the look of, which is a surprisingly unpopular opinion.

I have trouble enjoying fight scenes in films or TV ever since I started watching MMA, since they usually look nothing like a real fight. Superhero stuff is actually better with this since there is an excuse for it to look fantastical. Wrestling combines the worst of both and just looks silly and boring.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MMA looks silly and boring man, it's just a different kind.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
And let's not even get started about football.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

I used to love Football, yes the type that lasts 90 minutes and involves pies and bovril when I was younger but the older I've got the less I can be bothered watching matches even for my local team.

American Football is the best yank sport because you can watch a whole game in like 30 minutes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
most sports are best if you just watch the highlights

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Here we go again, thanks a lot...

No matter what your opinion on sports is (and please, we don't need a roll call of who thinks football/soccer/baseball/hockey is Literally the Worst Sport), I hope at least someone agrees with my unpopular opinion that you should shut up about your fantasy team, at least to people who aren't involved in your league. Especially the weekly gambling version - everyone wants to tell you about how they just won 800 dollars with their lineup, of course neglecting to mention they are down like 2 grand overall.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the thing with sports for me personally is ill watch anything if its highlights, Cricket, Darts, motor racing, whatever as long as there is a competitive element and people doing something that looks skillful I'm in. I find that almost every sport is moments of excellence staggered by large parts of mundane banality.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
People who take their guitar everywhere and play them with barely any prompting at any gathering. Also people who use way too many pedals.

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Jan 17, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bean_shadow posted:

People who take their guitar everywhere and play them with barely any prompting at any gathering. Also people who use way too many pedals.

I see you drive an automatic

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KrayG posted:

American Football is the best yank sport because you can watch a whole game in like 30 minutes.

Are you watching condensed games or something? An American football game is usually around 3 and a half hours long. The only team sport in the world I can think of that's that short is Rugby Sevens.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah sorry maybe the context of my post wasnt clear but i was specifically talking about highlights for sports and how you can show the whole action from a NFL game in 30 minutes or so.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

KrayG posted:

Yeah sorry maybe the context of my post wasnt clear but i was specifically talking about highlights for sports and how you can show the whole action from a NFL game in 30 minutes or so.

If you want sports where the action worth watching can be condensed into a short time, soccer wins hands down (because there usually isn't any).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Don't talk to me about sports.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

Don't talk to me about sports.

do you like curling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Are you watching condensed games or something? An American football game is usually around 3 and a half hours long. The only team sport in the world I can think of that's that short is Rugby Sevens.
Well if you remove all the commercial breaks there's only about 30 minutes of actual play in those 3.5 hours. :v: