Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Von_Doom posted:

I only pray for the day they can bring the holy word to the shores of Nippon.

Vince: Step one, we gotta get the lay of the land without arousing suspicion as foreigners, everybody put on these oversized glasses and buck teeth!
Triple H: But Vi-
Vince: *cocking gun* I said put them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

fart blood posted:

I hated the spinner belt. I hated that the main plate wasn't curved, so it looked stupid when someone wore it around their waist. It was an awful, awful belt and everyone should be glad it's gone.

I don't understand why they kept that design for so long.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was to remind everyone that Cena was going to get the belt back. Why bother making a new one when it was made for the only wrestler in the company that mattered?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Michael Cole is good

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Invalid Validation posted:

It was to remind everyone that Cena was going to get the belt back. Why bother making a new one when it was made for the only wrestler in the company that mattered?
But...he didn't. Punk had his monster year+ reign and lost it to The Rock, who then introduced the new design. It's weird too because Punk even mentioned the belt and wanting to have a new one during his reign, but they waited until they took it off him.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

Michael Cole is good

let's not say things we can't take back

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bradzilla posted:

let's not say things we can't take back
Okay

Michael Cole is good and better than Mauro

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Okay

Michael Cole is good and better than Mauro

Personally, I like a little excitement to be conveyed by the people calling the action, which is the opposite of Michael Cole. But to each their own :)

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

FOR THE LOVE OF MANKIND!!!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

bradzilla posted:

Personally, I like a little excitement to be conveyed by the people calling the action, which is the opposite of Michael Cole. But to each their own :)

Did you watch the UK Tourney? He was really rooting for the babyface in the finals

Cole prefers a 3-man booth so he doesn't have to play "face" or "heel," though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Speaking of, I just last week discovered that SD has a four man booth and I can't wrap my mind around it for some reason.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Phillips only actually does shilling and transition stuff. He doesn't actually call the matches.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So he's just like the ring announcer but they let him sit with them?

I guess that's actually kind of nice.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

bradzilla posted:

he right tho mauro sucks buttholes, and he sucks them poorly and unenjoyably

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MotU posted:

he right tho mauro sucks buttholes, and he sucks them poorly and unenjoyably

Mauro is good, sorry you hate excitement. I will admit he's been veering towards Striker territory lately with his dumb references though. Fire David Otunga into the sun and put Young Boy Tom on the desk imo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Okay

Michael Cole is better than Mauro

MAMA MIA i agree completely

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Speaking of, I just last week discovered that SD has a four man booth and I can't wrap my mind around it for some reason.

Aye but they only have 2.5 personality booths.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

bradzilla posted:

Mauro is good, sorry you hate excitement. I will admit he's been veering towards Striker territory lately with his dumb references though. Fire David Otunga into the sun and put Young Boy Tom on the desk imo.

all of his references and lines like mama Mia and poo poo make his own excitement sound forced which for some reason to me is more irritating than black helicopter jbl talk. agree on YBT though

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

sticklefifer posted:

But...he didn't. Punk had his monster year+ reign and lost it to The Rock, who then introduced the new design. It's weird too because Punk even mentioned the belt and wanting to have a new one during his reign, but they waited until they took it off him.

I got the impression that they had The Rock reveal the new belt because he was one of the biggest faces in the company's history, and they wanted the belt to have his stamp of approval. Punk was ostensibly a heel for the latter part of his reign, and they probably didn't want the new belt to be debuted by someone that half(?) of the crowd was booing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Punk pretty much instantly put the new belt over when he attacked somebody (Cena?) with the old one, threw it on the ground, and then pointed at the new belt and said "I want that one!"

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Mauro Ranallo is the best announcer the WWE has had since JR.

Though my favorite commentary booth is Excalibur + whoever.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Punk pretty much instantly put the new belt over when he attacked somebody (Cena?) with the old one, threw it on the ground, and then pointed at the new belt and said "I want that one!"

Much like roman reigns

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There are two announcers worth keeping right now and they are Tom Phillips and Corey Graves. The rest can fade quietly into the night. Also Renee Young is good but she's not currently at the desk so thats a dofferent situation!!!

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Invalid Validation posted:

So exactly how many of Cena's 15 title reigns were with the spinner belt? I'm gonna guess at least 10.

What are the odds Roman doesn't seem remotely interested in getting his US title back? I mean they might do another "Roman fights KO or Jericho" RAW tonight but I think after that he'll be glad to have the dead weight off of his shoulder.

Glad Rusev sacrified his US title reign so he could get Jinder Mahal as a buddy and get beat up by some more visiting veterans.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 16, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm less interested in whether Reigns will care about losing the US title than whether Jericho will defend it and anyone else will care to win it.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

It's a two-day, online-only tournament with very few household names that aired in the afternoon and overlapped with playoff football.

You're missing that it aired in prime time in the UK, and featured a lot of local cross-promotion work on TV.

With the timing of it coming a couple of weeks after the ITV wrestling show, there's definitely a push to promote wrestling in the UK.

So while it may have made gently caress all difference in America (and I'm not sure why anyone would expect it to), there's definitely am impact here. It was a pleasure watching live wrestling on a Sunday evening, and not at 4am.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
I wonder if this leads to a Japan tournament with un-Vinced Cole and Mauro on commentary.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I doubt WWE expects (or should) any kind of serious gain from a 2 day event. I think the more likely idea would be that they hope that with more things like the CWC, 205 Live, and the UK Tournament that fans who are looking for more wrestling on the network will be drawn in. And yeah, targeting specific markets with stuff that not only features regional workers but also airs at an appropriate time can be part of that.

But of course for that to work you need to keep doing it.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

STAC Goat posted:

I'm less interested in whether Reigns will care about losing the US title than whether Jericho will defend it and anyone else will care to win it.

Well Sami Zayn's not doing anything right now. If Team Chris & Kevin fall apart, having a triple threat with Sami at Mania could be a way to have neither of them turn face.

Other than that, Jericho feuds with......... who's RAW's midcard singles faces again?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Michael "PS" Cole

The PS stands for Pussy Slayer

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

I'd assume they're more concerned with having more original content for the Network and snuffing out growing UK promotions rather than aiming specifically for this tournament to drive Network subs. It's a two-day, online-only tournament with very few household names that aired in the afternoon and overlapped with playoff football. If they thought that would drive a significant amount of people to pay for a month of the Network, they'd be sorely mistaken.

People do live in the United Kingdom btw

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

A solid 7-8 months of Cena rehabbing the title, and the best feud and matches the US belt has seen since Cena dropped it has been Kalisto/Ryback.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Triple H just really wanted to visit Blackpool.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

rovert posted:

Triple H just really wanted to visit Blackpool.

Do have the scoop for how many times he went on the Big Dipper?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/821040348856221700

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
1) I like Mauro. I like his excitement and his stupid catchphrases like MAMA MIA and his forced references like he's the uncool dad. I also like that he says the names of moves. I know some people find it smarmy but I think it shows his depth of knowledge and passion for the wrestling part of wrestling. I'm generally tired of "HE SLAMS HIM DOWN HARD" for everything and since I am basically WWE only these days, that's most of what I hear.

2) I never watched old NXT, how was Renee in the commentary role?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brain damage and murder are not a joke.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

No Irish Need Imply posted:

2) I never watched old NXT, how was Renee in the commentary role?
Given that she only spent a couple of months at it, she was fine. She filled the superfluous third man role better than Byron or Otunga, at any rate, and with a lot less experience. But that was quite a while ago, so who knows what she'd be like now. I'd like to see her have another, longer go in NXT.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

She's much much better at backstage stuff and should stick at doing that, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

People do live in the United Kingdom btw

phwoah!!!

No poo poo, what I'm saying is of the 1.5m or whatever subs they have, my guess is their goal isn't moving the needle on the number of Network subs, which it likely won't do. I doubt it'd be labelled a failure if it doesn't move many subscriptions, and that snuffing out rival promotions and shoring up the overall umbrella of "original content" are bigger goals at this point in their drive to capitalize on the UK.

75% of Network subs are in the US, that's why I brought up US-centric sports re: viewership numbers.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 16, 2017

• Locked thread