Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think the accent that Frasier and Niles use is more mid-Atlantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Misfits...

The first time I watched it, there only were 3 seasons. They were all pretty good. I stubbornly insisted on watching the remaining 2 seasons this rewatch. I have 2 episodes left, but I feel like I can say that it's best to stop after season 3.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpannerX posted:

Oh, I'm going to hate watch the gently caress out of that, then get MY WIFE to admit it's poo poo so I don't have to watch any of that again.

If it's any consolation, it's almost certainly the series finale of the show.

Also, I put it in spoiler text previously but gently caress it: If you're a fan of the Zero Escape videogame series, you'll probably get a kick out of E04S03 of Sherlock because it felt more like Zero Escape then it did Sherlock. Not even kidding.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

lelandjs posted:

If it's any consolation, it's almost certainly the series finale of the show.

Also, I put it in spoiler text previously but gently caress it: If you're a fan of the Zero Escape videogame series, you'll probably get a kick out of E04S03 of Sherlock because it felt more like Zero Escape then it did Sherlock. Not even kidding.

yeah i watched it last night, was not a good episode of a tv show, but was a decent entry in the Zero Escape series

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Speaking of Misfits...

The first time I watched it, there only were 3 seasons. They were all pretty good. I stubbornly insisted on watching the remaining 2 seasons this rewatch. I have 2 episodes left, but I feel like I can say that it's best to stop after season 3.

I quit at the end of 3 as I heard nothing good about the rest.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I quit at the end of 3 as I heard nothing good about the rest.

Yeah, some of the new characters are okay, but none of the plots are. And its orobably a budget thing, but it's basically not a show about powers any more. Characters almost never use their powers. It's just bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Timby posted:

I still want someone to answer the question: if Frasier and Niles were brought up solidly middle class, where did they get their snooty tastes from? It's said they got their attitudes and stuff from their mother, but they just wouldn't have the money for most of their lives to develop such expensive tastes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You are both insane, Misfits seasons 4 and 5 are both improvements over 3 and eventually Rudy is by far the best character ever.

It's actually somewhat silly and unfair to even talk about seasons 1+2 and seasons 4+5 in the same context though as by then the cast is largely entirely new and it's more like an anthology show, the end of season 2 is the end of the show having a meta-plot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Rudy is one of the best characters, but there are basically no good episodes in seasons 4 and 5. They do have the second-best probation worker though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You were workin as a wai'ress at a cockail baa'ah

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ok, so I watched the first episode of Unfortunate Events and, while I'm not going to go on an angry rant like that other dude, that was one of the worst things I've ever had the misfortune to see.

NPH, why?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You need to watch more excellent shows such as Under the Dome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Timby posted:

He asked for English pronunciation, not accents.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sneaky Pete is fantastic

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I was looking at amazon and found a show called Mercy Street, Mary Elisabeth Winstead plays a Northern nurse in a hotel-turned-hospital in Union-occupied Virginia. Checking it out now.

e: theres a shitload of gore, yikes

Kraps fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 16, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Ok, so I watched the first episode of Unfortunate Events and, while I'm not going to go on an angry rant like that other dude, that was one of the worst things I've ever had the misfortune to see.

NPH, why?

You're probably just going to have to accept that you're in the minority for this opinion, in this forum at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just having trouble reading that someone is an NPH fan and doesn't like the show. It's no so clear in episode 1, but starting with 2 the show becomes extremely "NPH-esque" and his performance just keeps building, and it is awesome

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

You're probably just going to have to accept that you're in the minority for this opinion, in this forum at least.

Yeah, I didn't like it either. But I understand why people do. Just wasn't my kind of thing. Which is a shame because the trailers were really interesting to me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

I don't have a problem with that. I bounced off of Stranger Things really hard too and that was a tviv darling. Like I said, I'm going to go on an angry rant like the other poster.

All of the plot and dialog just felt like it was trying so hard. I wrote more but I decided it was getting to be too much; more power to those who enjoy the show, I just don't understand why at all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Now I'm afraid of watching Unfortunate Events and hating it, because most of the appeal of the books is not so much in the plot as it is in the writing style that I feel like wouldn't translate well to screen. Also because that 200X movie was such a piece of poo poo.

SpannerX posted:

Oh, I'm going to hate watch the gently caress out of that, then get MY WIFE to admit it's poo poo so I don't have to watch any of that again.

We've only been watching it because we were hoping for at least one good episode, and it's not much of a time commitment when there's not much new airing during the winter hiatus.
But... I think this will have to be where we give up for good, that last episode was just unbelievably bad. It's weird because they have these montages of other cases where all kinds of crazy adventures seem to be ensuing, all of which are far more interesting than the actual plot of the episode.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 17, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Now I'm afraid of watching Unfortunate Events and hating it, because most of the appeal of the books is not so much in the plot as it is in the writing style that I feel like wouldn't translate well to screen. Also because that 200X movie was such a piece of poo poo.

I was surprised to learn that said movie managed to win an Academy Award (for costume design).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was surprised to learn that said movie managed to win an Academy Award (for costume design).

So did 2008 Academy Award nominee Norbit, if I recall.
e: nope, looks like that was makeup.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

I think it translates really well. I despised the movie too and the show nails the feel of the books perfectly. Aside from one person in the show's thread, everyone who's coming at the show from the background of the books seem to like it. It looks to me like people bouncing off the first episode tend to not like the style that the show and books are going for.

I think you'll enjoy it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

I've only watched the first episode so far and my main issue is both how close it is to the books and how it diverts from the books. For instance, Klaus' pretentious manner of speaking works fine on the page, but starts to get grating after awhile while watching a TV show. I won't go into what the show adds to the books because it's kinda spoilery but it was definitely kinda off-putting to me.

Also, the show is all over the map tonally. I get that it can't be grimdark all of the time, but some of the silliness is a... bit too much. Finally, because of the performances of some of the actors, the show seems far more childish than the books ever did (see also: the Golden Compass movie).

I don't mind NPH as Olaf, though I didn't see him as anyone other than Olaf, so jury's still out on him. I know Carrey was a polarizing choice for Olaf for the movie, but I personally felt like he did a great job of making all the characters Olaf pretends to be feel unique at a glance.

That said, ASoUE isn't a bad show, per se. I personally didn't enjoy watching it, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who will.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Sneaky Pete is fantastic

I like it too, just watching the 3rd episode.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I won't go into what the show adds to the books because it's kinda spoilery but it was definitely kinda off-putting to me.

I know exactly what you're talking about and if that is what made you stop watching you should really reconsider because it goes somewhere amazing and is one of the best parts of the season.

If you don't like the rest that's fine but if you stopped for that reason I promise it was a mistake.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regy Rusty posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about and if that is what made you stop watching you should really reconsider because it goes somewhere amazing and is one of the best parts of the season.

If you don't like the rest that's fine but if you stopped for that reason I promise it was a mistake.

The parents? Nah, it wasn't that, it was really how hard it seemed they were pushing the VFD stuff... Though I guess in retrospect it was only obvious because I knew about it.

The parents thing was actually pretty great because I know that the Beaudelare parents can't possibly be alive so they added scenes of them as a giant rear end pull to gently caress with the more knowledgeable viewers

[Edit: though I guess it could be a double blind... huh, maybe I should watch more]

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that does kind of bug me about A Series of Unfortunate Events is the CG baby head. It is just kind of offputting whenever it shows up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't even notice it was a cgi baby.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is a real baby a lot of the time but whenever there's a scene where people have to run around the baby becomes a doll with a CG head.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: though I guess it could be a double blind... huh, maybe I should watch more]

I think you should. ;) The show does a lot of cool things and I think the additions work very well.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

PenguinKnight posted:

yeah i watched it last night, was not a good episode of a tv show, but was a decent entry in the Zero Escape series

I might just watch this in isolation, then, sounds dope. tbh I would love Zero Escape, But With Sherlock Holmes as a game. Or TV show. Or anything. just get Uchikoshi to do a Sherlock Holmes game. :allears:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How is there no Young Pope thread? You dinguses devoted 10,000 pages to West World in the first week it premiered, and that was about as deep as a puddle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sector_corrector posted:

How is there no Young Pope thread? You dinguses devoted 10,000 pages to West World in the first week it premiered, and that was about as deep as a puddle.

There is. We just started it a while back when several of us first saw the series.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hello thread, SPACE GHOST COAST TO COAST IS TONIGHT! On adult swim at 12:30 central standard time. Gonna be good times.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jiro posted:

Hello thread, SPACE GHOST COAST TO COAST IS TONIGHT! On adult swim at 12:30 central standard time. Gonna be good times.

These are just reruns, right? Why is that special?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

raditts posted:

These are just reruns, right? Why is that special?

Yeah it is, and because I haven't watched any SGCTC in like a decade. I dunno I found it fun I miss that kind of thing and show.l

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still want someone to answer the question: if Frasier and Niles were brought up solidly middle class, where did they get their snooty tastes from? It's said they got their attitudes and stuff from their mother, but they just wouldn't have the money for most of their lives to develop such expensive tastes.

I thought they were brought up high class, but their dad was just middle class.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Would anyone be up for making a new Better Call Saul thread? New season premiers April 10 so exactly enough time to watch all 82 episodes of BB and BCS one a day if anyones up for that. Season 3 clips have started to come out including two teasers showing Jimmy in booking going to jail, a Los Pollos Hermanos advert and the confirmation of Gus returning, and this first full clip form the premiere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCaepUgw6OQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sector_corrector posted:

It's so so so satisfying when someone makes a lovely smug pretentious post like this and you know they're totally wrong and just making themselves look like an idiot

• Locked thread