Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Alexandra Ross

Dr. Ross eyes the panel for a few moments, and gets out her tools.

"Stay sharp, everyone; I'm going to investigate this control panel. Complications seem unlikely, but one never knows."

With that warning, she begins to assemble a diagram of the circuitry, attempting to deduce its functionality as much as possible before tampering with the equipment.

Goa'uld electronics: 3d6=16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Josephine Lawry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

Jo watches the surroundings carefully. The place was awfully quiet, and the lazy moss making its way up the metallic tower both wanted to make her complacent. It seemed likely that the place had been here for years without incident. Now, presumably, they were the incident.

"I'd ask him if I could," she says to Milton. "Rather not get jumped by a lion or a panther out here." Reflexively, she glances up at the trees as if something might suddenly be stalking her.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

Dr. Ross pulls the cover plate off of the control panel exposing the crystal-based Goa'uld circuitry beneath. Multi-colored lights flash in unknown diagnostic patterns. She watches it for several minutes, taking notes and trying to make sense of which element will open the door without breaking anything or setting off an alarm. Perhaps it's the alien tech, or it's the nerves of being in the field for real but getting the job done here is a lot tougher than in the lab. Time ticks by. Forest sounds surround them as the team waits on her analysis.

Finally, Dr. Ross figures that she has a solution. In the end, monkeying with a control panel to bypass a door lock isn't rocket science. A minute or two to cross-link a pair of crystal-groups while interrupting the power flow to a small amber linkage should pop the door open.

You're clear to open the door.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

I might have misunderstood the scale here, is this a building we need to breach, or is this simply opening a door on a computer panel of some sort?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Small building, circular, with a locked door controlled by a computer panel

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kurt positions himself by the door to the tower with his sidarm and flashlight out and ready, and motions for Jo to take a covering position a short distance away just in case there's a trap when the door is opened, wouldn't want the doctor getting caught in an electric discharge or something. Over the radio "Be advised we're going to be opening the door to the tower. There's no indication of recent activity here, but be ready to move to assist just in case."

Kurt nods to Ross, "Whenever you're ready."

I'll just be set up to sweep the interior with the flashlight and gun just in case there are hostiles, but without actually going in. Wouldn't want to set off tripwires or something.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Jacob Glengarry - Goa'uld Tower

A quiet "Copy." is sent over the radio as Jake posts up, a whistle to the pup and a tapping of his ears hopefully indicating to keep his ears peeled.

Not sure if a roll over time is necessary, but Jacob's keeping his eye out for trouble from outside.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo Lawry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

Jo nods and approaches from the other side, taking out her own sidearm as she kneels down in the moss. It had the distinct impression of being nothing more than a bunkhouse, but still... it was built by aliens. She watches Dr. Ross carefully.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Michael Grey - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

Mike nods at Glengarry, and resets the stock against his shoulder. "Copy"

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Will update tomorrow, CaptainCarrot I didn't want to jump your agency on opening the door but it seems like the next logical thing to do.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Dr. Ross pulls out here toolkit and gets to work on the control panel. After a few moments, the panel beeps and the door grinds open revealing a single cluttered room. Lights flicker on and illuminate the room and a control panel covered in Goa'uld script. A blank space on the wall behind the control panel looks like the likely point for a display to be projected. A disorderly pile of crates are stacked against the far wall. Whatever Jaffa last visited did not wipe their feet or sweep out the room since dried mud and dried leaves are scattered on the floor.

A small light on the control panel starts to flash as the team peers through the door.

----
Dr. Ross successfully overrides the control panel to allow access. Here's a quick sketch of the area. The orange thing is the control panel, the grey blocks are the crates, and the size is typical Goa'uld grandiosity.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Hey Mister Wizard," Jo says to George. "Any indications what that light means? It's making me nervous."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
George Milton

"Could be anything; could be a bomb, it could be an incoming communication, it could be a silent alarm - it could even be a power indicator like computers have on Earth," Milton replies. "Might be worth getting a closer look - and being ready to run."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Over the radio, "Looks like the building itself is clear, but an indicator light popped on as soon as the door opened. It's possible an alarm has been set off, so stay on alert. If Dr Ross determines this has summoned help I want to be prepared to move out before a squadron of gliders or worse shows up."

And to the locals, "Well Doctor, let's see if we can figure out what that light means and if it is an alarm if there's any way to turn it off. We might not have a lot of time here, so do what you can safely. Lieutenant, see if you can find a rock or something we can put in this doorway, if this building does turn out to be a trap it'll be a lot easier to pry open the door if it snaps shut if it can't close completely."

I'll take a look at the tracked mud inside the doorway and see if I can get a better determination of how long this has been unattended since this hasn't been degraded by the weather. If Ross determines that the building isn't immediately obviously dangerous to enter, I'll check out the crates unless Dr Milton or someone would prefer to take a look while I guard.

tracks in the tower (tracking 19): 3d6 11

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Milton is probably better off doing the looking around while one of our more shooty people keeps an eye out for jaffa (or however it was spelled). If nothing else, he might recognise something vaguely Egyptian.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

just checking, I'm the only lt, right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mykkel posted:

just checking, I'm the only lt, right?

It's unclear, I didn't read everyone's final edits, I think Josephine who was a second lieutenant in the Canadian military re-acquired her rank when joining the SGC. I suppose I should ask, how do you want to be referred to twobirds?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
The muddy prints dried on the floor of the tower base are much clearer than anything left out exposed to the elements. After inspecting them for a few moments Capt. Tash concludes that it was probably a group of 5-7 Jaffa that made the mess. A head-sized rock is placed on the threshold and the rest of the team begins to inspect the room.

The crates are surprisingly mundane. For being on an alien planet standing in a structure built by megalomaniacal head-snakes, methods of storage are truly universal. No locks appear to be present on them, and they are easily opened by a latched handle. A quick inspection reveals no dangers. The crates contain a large number of Jaffa field rations, armor repair kits, and various sundries spread between a couple crates. Another contains a selection of spare parts and components for Goa'uld technology. Finally, one crate contains staff-weapon components and two Zat'nik'tel hand weapons. Beyond that the room appears to be the full extent of the humanoid-accessible areas of the tower.

Dr. Milton examines the hieroglyphs decorating the walls. They're mostly made up of honorifics to the Great and Powerful Sekhmet, descriptions of her power, lion motifs, and Goa'uld decorations. The control panel is covered with Goa'uld glyphs that he can't quite read, but Lt. Grey can see from the doorway that the flashing glyph on the control panel reads roughly "Alert" or "Attention" in Goa'uld. Pressing it would probably activate something.

The crates are safe, figure I get that out of the way for the stuff found inside them. Based who's there, Drs. Ross, Milton, and Lawry can have cased the joint.

From my notes the ranks are more or less this order: Captain Tash, 1st Lt. Grey, Dr./2nd Lt. (Canadian) Lawry, Staff Sgt. Glengarry, Dr. Ross, Dr. Milton
The Drs. are equivalent and Dr. Lawry's rank is administrative so would probably be more appropriately addressed as "Doctor".

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Dr. Alexandra Ross - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

Dr. Ross takes a good look inside the crates; she's no quartermaster, but it looks like a nice cache of supplies, both in amount and variety.

"Aww, someone left us some presents," she remarks, dimpling. "Too bad McGriddles wasn't trained to pull a sled."

Back to business, she studies the control panel carefully, hoping she'll get some idea of the point of the tower, if there is any besides sheltering the crates.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"The weapons might be useful," Jo says, shrugging, "but I don't think many of us are comfortable with them. Better to leave them. They'll know we've been here - if they don't already - and they'll just assume we're a bunch of nosy scouts. Which I guess we are." She grins. She gets out a notepad and pencil to better note the supplies they've found, for a later report. The brass always wanted details. Always.

Yeah, Doctor is fine for Jo. She was a 2nd Lt but it has not been officially reinstated. I bought some points so might unofficially have a little more clout than she would otherwise, but I will stick to doctor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

"We'll take the Zats, the SGC is always on the lookout for more of those even if they're not immediately useful to us."

While the doctors are checking out the tower Tash will take up position outside to keep an eye on things.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

"Cap, the flashing button says either alert or attention. I think pressing it will activate something. I don't know from the glyph if it activated because we opened the door, or if it was flashing before we came in. You want me to take a close look at that control panel?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

"Absolutely, figuring out this tower's purpose and shutting down any alarms should be our top priority."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

b]Michael Grey - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313 [/b]

Mike slings his weapon and approaches the control panel, and attempts to familiarize himself with the glyphs on the control panel...

Goa'uld Translation: 3d6 11(so yeah I don't know if there is a target number, or if a roll was necessary)
Electronic Operations: 3d6 9 target 13

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Dr. Lawry and Dr. Milton stash the Zat guns, but leaves the rest of the crated equipment alone.

Dr. Ross and Lt. Grey examine the control panel. It's a fairly straightforward system consisting of a set of context-sensitive icons and buttons on top of a pedestal. The flashing button commands their attention, and with little else to do the duo activates the control panel.
The wall facing them lights up with a display showing several views of the surrounding landscape and a couple of diagnostic bits of information. Buttons with glyphs signifying words like "move" and "focus" light up. Dr. Ross' study on the Goa'uld technology makes the period of trial and error very brief and she is able to quickly cycle through the various image and information feeds on the wall. Lt. Grey presses the 'Alert' button, which brings a small flashing window in the lower left front-and-center. The glyphs here translate roughly as:

"Entry Forced. Verify access: _ _ _ _ _"
Below those words is a set of Goa'uld digits counting down that will reach zero in a little less than five minutes.

A set of a dozen buttons on the control panel light up on the control panel in a rough approximation of a keypad, each marked with a different Goa'uld symbol. They are, in no particular order:

Glory
Lion
Strong
Ra
Water
All
Feather
Grain
Hand
Vessel
Throne
Owl

Meanwhile, outside, McGriddles sniffs at a nearby plant. Sgt. Glengarry notes that if the clouds would clear up it would be a very nice day out here.

Both Dr. Ross and Lt. Grey successfully operate the control panel.
Regarding language, an Accented ability means that you're at -1 for abilities that rely on language and comprehension (like electronic op), but you don't need to roll to understand the language itself.
Since you and Dr. Ross are more than capable of acting as a team, she gets to piggyback on comprehension while standing next to you at the control panel.

Edit: Lt Grey!
JFC, I am incapable of names!

El Spamo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 22, 2017

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Lt. Milton? Is that Lt. Grey or Dr. Milton? ;)

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"We doing good, folks?" Josephine says to the ones at the control panel. She anxiously moves from foot to foot.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

"Well we have less than minutes to put in the correct glyph key. Looks like 5 characters maybe. Dr. Milton, Any chance you can come up with a phrase regarding Sekhmet using 5 of these words: Glory, Lion, Strong, Ra, Water, All, Feather, Grain, Hand, Vessel, Throne, Owl? "

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
George Milton

"All Glory to the Lion of Ra? No, that's four words. All Strength and Glory to the Lion of Ra?" Milton suggests, as he continues trying to think of other possibilities.

This is mostly a roll to see if there's anything I can think of regarding Sekhmet that might help

Egyptology roll for ideas (14): 3d6 13

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

Sekhmet may have been the daughter of Ra, but there was no love lost between them. Glory and Strength fit with Goa'uld self-aggrandizement, but Ra might be omitted in a passing adulation. She was reputed to be so bloodthirsty that during a battle Ra had to trick her with red-colored beer in place of blood to get her drunk and stop the bloody lion's slaughter.
It's notable that the water glyph on the panel could easily be interpreted to mean a number of fluids, most appropriately 'blood' with respect to Sekhmet.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
George Milton

"Wait, no; Ra and Sekhmet didn't like each other," Milton corrects quickly, hopefully before Grey starts typing. "Could the water glyph also refer to other fluids, like blood; like in Ancient Egyptian? If so, it's probably something like All Strength and Glory to the Bloody Lion!"

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

"Yes, it could mean blood. MIght I suggest that everyone other than me, step outside the facility, before I punch in the code?"

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Going around the room, who's staying in the room and who's stepping outside?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

"If you're reasonably confident on that code, you've got my permission to enter it when ready Lieutenant."

I was outside to begin with, keeping an eye on things while the smart people checked things over.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

my dumb idea, I'm staying in the room.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I'm leaving, bringing as many zats as I can reasonably carry.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo Lawry - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

Jo nods to the captain, and stows her notes. "Fine by me. Good luck, guys." She heads out of the little building, but keeps a wary eye on the entryway.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Alexandra Ross - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

She smiles at Michael, but steps just outside.

"I'm sure you'll manage it just fine," Alexandra pronounces cheerily. "But if it makes you feel better, I'll wait out here while you do your thing."

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Been outside the whole time, never received radio contact about what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

The team clears the room leaving Lt. Grey alone in front of the control panel watching the Goa'uld numerals tick down. He pushes the glyphs for All, Strong, Glory, Water, and Lion in that order. The Goa'uld numerals freeze and a trill sounds from the control panel. The word 'accepted' flashes across the display and then the code input view disappears leaving Lt. Grey looking at a view of the valley displayed in front of him.

• Locked thread