Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They're probably going to rain armor down on you, especially since with the more open world gear system they can't count on you getting armor upgrades at set points, so they need to throw a ton out in the world to find. They're not going to suddenly make the series super hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

s.i.r.e. posted:

The only one I can think of is Ganon in LTTP, touching him would do 8 hearts of damage but I can't think of anything else unless it was Hero mode. Were Iron Knuckles in OoT/MM 4 hearts?

A bunch of poo poo in ALBW when you first hit Lorule does this.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

MokBa posted:

Second quest should let you play as Zelda. I'm just getting way too teased by her outfit that is nearly identical to Link's.

It would be a sweet secret if you booted it up and it gave you a dishonored 2 choice of who to play.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yorkshire Tea posted:

A bunch of poo poo in ALBW when you first hit Lorule does this.

I don't recall taking 4 hearts unless I was playing on Hero Mode though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't recall taking 4 hearts unless I was playing on Hero Mode though.

There are definitely enemies that will do that much damage to green tunic Link. On hero mode, those hits would deal 16 hearts unmitigated. And iirc the final boss has an attack that does 6-8 hearts base damage, translating into a straight one shot on hero mode (again, before Armor is taken to account.)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ALBW can be hard, depending on when you get the blue tunic. I got it dead last and the game was way easier afterwards. I actually missed the red tunic, too.

Great game, hope it's not the last top-down Zelda.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Augus posted:

There are definitely enemies that will do that much damage to green tunic Link. On hero mode, those hits would deal 16 hearts unmitigated. And iirc the final boss has an attack that does 6-8 hearts base damage, translating into a straight one shot on hero mode (again, before Armor is taken to account.)

I guess I completely forgot about the normal game damage values after my Hero Mode run (which was brutal), after being oneshotted several times in that run I went for the Blue Tunic straight away.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MokBa posted:

Second quest should let you play as Zelda. I'm just getting way too teased by her outfit that is nearly identical to Link's.

But you already do?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I want to play both Zeldas

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

It would be a sweet secret if you booted it up and it gave you a dishonored 2 choice of who to play.

It's just a matter of time until they do this. It's not like there's voice acting to redo or anything. Fans love Zelda, crossdressing Link etc.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
in an effort to please all the players, nintendo has made Dragon Ball Z canon to the zelda universe by having link and zelda fuse via the potara earrings. Their name is Linda.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It would be pretty cool if there was a part of the story where you played as Zelda because Link is indisposed or something for some reason, the trailer does show Zelda having to protect Link from a big guardian.

spit on my clit posted:

in an effort to please all the players, nintendo has made Dragon Ball Z canon to the zelda universe by having link and zelda fuse via the potara earrings. Their name is Linda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZsA2tF8noM

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 16, 2017

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I mean i doubt botw is suddenly going to become super difficult. Bokoblins only do a quarter heart of damage to you and all of the enemies have suuuuuuper slow reaction times. Some of them basically just stand there while you hit them.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
You can already play as Zelda.

In Hyrule Warriors.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

youcallthatatwist posted:

I mean i doubt botw is suddenly going to become super difficult. Bokoblins only do a quarter heart of damage to you and all of the enemies have suuuuuuper slow reaction times. Some of them basically just stand there while you hit them.

It's actually variable depending on what gear they have. I've seen a player run into a beast mode Bokoblin who did like two hearts damage and was really quick on one of the mointaibs during the E3 stream.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

youcallthatatwist posted:

They're sure as hell more aggressive than in other games at least

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Re: Difficulty

With the game being so open, my guess is that enemy strength will be the primary limiting factor in how fast you can progress through the game. That is to say, early on, a lone Guardian will be enough to make taking "that" path or going to "this" shrine difficult enough that most players won't have the skill/patience to defeat them and thus, move on to lower hanging fruit. Basically, it's a soft gear-check: you better be really good or have good enough gear to take on tougher enemies. It's like in the treehouse presentation: even Link on a horse with some (likely lower-level) gear was no match for a single mobile Guardian. Better players might be able to kill Guardians early but most won't.

The oft-quoted "you can go take on Calamity Ganon from the start" is technically true but practically impossible for 99% of players because the margin for error will be so slim. If Ganon can't one-shot you from the beginning of the game, what kind of end boss would he be?

Also, I think it would be both cool and good if Calamity Ganon was a false final boss. Something more akin to Magus in Chrono Trigger: the big bad for most of the game but once you defeat him you realize he's not the true threat and that the real end game begins.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like the idea of finishing the game, then immediately restarting it and making a beeline to Ganon. Not having a gate is a bold move for Zelda, I hope it works well.

Part of me imagines that the actual area Ganon is in will be the check - a harsh environment would dissuade less-equipped players but just be seen as a challenge for the more experienced.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looking forward to the 20 minute speed run where someone runs directly to ganon with 3 hearts and only the starter gear.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Looking forward to the 20 minute speed run where someone runs directly to ganon with 3 hearts and only the starter gear.

not even the starter gear

you can run out in nothing but your shorts

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rexroom posted:

You can already play as Zelda.

In Hyrule Warriors.

Never noticed, too busy being Tingle.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

not even the starter gear

you can run out in nothing but your shorts

Dark Souls Naked Run, here I come

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's to stop Link from binge-eating his hearts up in the pause menu every time he takes damage?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He has a pretty limited inventory.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's to stop Link from binge-eating his hearts up in the pause menu every time he takes damage?

heart disease

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
OK Zelda freaks, I'm selling my New Nintendo 3DS XL Hyrule Edition + LBW + NSMB2 + Majora's Mask (download, no NNID) + Link's Awakening (download, no NNID). It's on SA Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805851

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Probably inventory capacity limits, and I'd guess it'll be tough to find healing items while you're in a dungeon so using them all up would be bad. But also I don't expect the game to be super hard so maybe they're not treating it as that big of a deal.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

well why not posted:

Not having a gate is a bold move for Zelda, I hope it works well.

When did they say there's no gates and you can tackle Ganon straight away? I'm pretty sure there's going to be restrictions in place that don't allow you to go straight to him, though I'm sure people will find glitches to get around that.

Also, Ganon better just be a massive pig with a trident. Because I want a figma of him.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Pretty sure I seen a massive purple swirl shield go up around the castle like multiple previous games.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

When did they say there's no gates and you can tackle Ganon straight away? I'm pretty sure there's going to be restrictions in place that don't allow you to go straight to him, though I'm sure people will find glitches to get around that.

Also, Ganon better just be a massive pig with a trident. Because I want a figma of him.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11942652/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-ending

quote:

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," producer Eiji Aonuma told Polygon. "Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user."

When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted. However, he also stressed that he didn't view this as an ideal way to play.

"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities," Aonuma said. "Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that.

"Maybe it might be fun for fans to compete in a challenge for who can clear it first."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's some fuckin' balls, wow. Yeah, I can't wait for Dark Souls naked runs of this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if that just means that you can blitz the critical path and miss a lot of important stuff that's found in side quests and side dungeons, not just that you can waltz right in to fight Ganon from the word go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Harrow posted:

I wonder if that just means that you can blitz the critical path and miss a lot of important stuff that's found in side quests and side dungeons, not just that you can waltz right in to fight Ganon from the word go.

The quote literally says you can go straight to the final boss.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Naked runs confirmed for Zelda

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Actually going to make for boring speed runs. Once the most effective method of beating the boss is found its done. No fun sequence breaks. Just run there and kill him.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Boring any% runs, anyway.

I'd imagine "all shrines" runs would be a pretty interesting category.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thoom posted:

Boring any% runs, anyway.

I'd imagine "all shrines" runs would be a pretty interesting category.

Yeah gonna have to get creative real fast. But it sounds like you can do any amount of story. So gonna be interesting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

The quote literally says you can go straight to the final boss.

It says "straight to the goal" which could just mean "stick to only doing the things that get you to the final boss," with the stuff you'd miss being the side quests and dungeons that reveal the rest of the story. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there are multiple ways to read that, specifically because I don't want people to be disappointed and feel lied to if it does turn out you can't waltz right into the final dungeon immediately.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Bombadilillo posted:

Actually going to make for boring speed runs. Once the most effective method of beating the boss is found its done. No fun sequence breaks. Just run there and kill him.

Speed runs are for chumps, gotta go for style.

I hope the final battle has lots of movable debris that i can use to beat Ganon senseless with :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

Speed runs are for chumps, gotta go for style.

I hope the final battle has lots of movable debris that i can use to beat Ganon senseless with :getin:

True. Dark souls speed runs are dumb. Punching nameless king to death....got drat.