Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Help - racist Dad making wedding a nightmare

quote:

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the throwaway but this is pretty personal. We are in the midst of wedding planning and the big day is roughly 6 months away. As we are still at the beginning of our careers [28F and 31M, together 4 years], my parents [60F and 65M] are very kindly paying for our wedding. So far, we have kept them in the loop and discussed the details before choosing a caterer, photographer, etc. Things had been going pretty smoothly until recently.

We just booked our officiant-- a judge (since we felt strongly about a non-religious ceremony). He had great reviews, so we booked him without discussing this with my parents first. However, he is black, and when my dad found this out, he completely lost it.
I knew he might be somewhat annoyed, but I figured he'd grumble and get over it. How wrong I was-- he had a complete meltdown in which he accused me of trying to embarrass him, push my "agenda", and ruin this day for everyone. Furthermore, he basically gave us an ultimatum that we can't hire any other black people, especially the DJ. He doesn't want us to play any rap music, either. (I love rap and was looking forward to dancing to it.)

I feel really awful about this. I am worried that he will say or do something disrespectful to our judge. I also feel like scum that I now have to "screen" our staff to make sure he won't lose his poo poo. TBH, I am now starting to dread the wedding since I'll be worried about setting him off/being embarrassed by him in front of literally everyone that I work with and care about.
Is this worth it? If we hadn't already sent all the save the dates, I would seriously consider cancelling this whole thing and just going to the courthouse. Now, I feel like we've invited everyone and spent too much money to back out now. I just hate having to deal with/cater to my racist father in exchange for their financing the wedding.
How should I handle this? I would appreciate any of your insight/help. Thanks for reading.

tl;dr: Hired black judge to officiate wedding, racist dad is really angry. Not sure how to proceed.

Happy MLK Day everyone!!

Advice: Kill your dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

gentle pete posted:

How can I [18f] tell my boyfriend [24m] that his beard and crotch are musky?

Very carefully

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Happy MLK Day everyone!!

I mean yeah that's lovely but if he's paying for it what can you do

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd respond to his financial manipulation stuff by telling him I'll hire who I drat well please and listen to the music I drat well want to listen to and if he has a problem with that I have 0 problem canceling the wedding and letting everyone know the reason why.

I don't respond well to bullying myself so I typically go for the "scorched earth" approach :v:

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I mean yeah that's lovely but if he's paying for it what can you do

It's manipulation. The parents are giving a gift: paying for the wedding. That doesn't now mean they get to decide how it is put on, unless they are some bullying assholes.

It def doesn't mean you get to tell your daughter what music she can or can't dance to at her wedding in 2017. Sounds like their money has been used as a manipulative tool for a long time if she's even considering bending to this bullshit.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 17, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

gentle pete posted:

How can I [18f] tell my boyfriend [24m] that his beard and crotch are musky?

"you need to wash your beard and crotch"

is there really a reason to beat around the bush (:wiggle:) about this with your partner? this is like a band-aid, the faster you rip it off the less painful it's gonna be

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Happy MLK Day everyone!!

jesus yes

if I were them I'd tell my dad to gently caress off and if he didn't fund the wedding we wouldn't be on speaking terms anymore

"donald trump might be president but I'm not your daughter if you're going to be a loving racist, dad"

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

I'd respond to his financial manipulation stuff by telling him I'll hire who I drat well please and listen to the music I drat well want to listen to and if he has a problem with that I have 0 problem canceling the wedding and letting everyone know the reason why.

I don't respond well to bullying myself so I typically go for the "scorched earth" approach :v:

It's manipulation. The parents are giving a gift: paying for the wedding. That doesn't now mean they get to decide how it is put on, unless they are some bullying assholes.

Yes, same for me. I would just say ok forget the wedding we are getting married at the court house and when we have the money we will have a proper party instead of kowtowing to the nonsensical whims of a racist idiot.

Waterbed Wendy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 17, 2017

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Tiny Deer posted:

You don't own someone else's body and nudity because they used to date the person you're with. Whether or not you feel entitled to it or it doesn't matter is your own problem, I guess, but it's still a violation of a third party's privacy.

I understand watching thirty seconds or so and going 'oh god I better talk about this with my partner' but watching the thing to completion is weird and self-harming just so you can feel like the wronged one.

Now I'm now picturing some mega-goon being confronted by his wife about him keeping his gross sex tapes with his ex and firing back with 'how dare you violate my ex's privacy like that'. That would result in a wonderful trainwreck :laffo:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

It def doesn't mean you get to tell your daughter what music she can or can't dance to at her wedding in 2017. Sounds like their money has been used as a manipulative tool for a long time if she's even considering bending to this bullshit.

You're not wrong but again what can she do other than call off the wedding

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ride The Gravitron posted:

You're not wrong but again what can she do other than call off the wedding

Depends on how bad she wants to strain her relationship. If it were me I'd rather just call it off because I don't want to be thinking all about how I compromised my principles on my wedding day. Doesn't necessarily have to be a court house wedding, you can still have a decent ceremony with close friends and family for cheap. The whole concept of an expensive wedding is some bullshit anyway honestly.

Alternatively she can just hire who she wants and lie to the dad about it and let him have a meltdown the day of. What's he gonna do, have a freak out in the middle of the reception because the DJ put a rap song on? He's gonna be the one looking like a lunatic.

It's unreasonable to ask her to screen literally every employee anyway; if she hires a caterer she's gotta then make sure every single person on staff is white? Pff.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

lazorexplosion posted:

Now I'm now picturing some mega-goon being confronted by his wife about him keeping his gross sex tapes with his ex and firing back with 'how dare you violate my ex's privacy like that'. That would result in a wonderful trainwreck :laffo:

Okay, post your sex tapes.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Tiny Deer posted:

Okay, post your sex tapes.

This should take care of the doxxing problem.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Or alternatively she could go 'fine YOU plan it then' and watch him fold once she dumps like 10 folders full of slightly different color flower arrangement options on his desk.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

This should take care of the doxxing problem.

dixxing

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Depends on how bad she wants to strain her relationship. If it were me I'd rather just call it off because I don't want to be thinking all about how I compromised my principles on my wedding day. Doesn't necessarily have to be a court house wedding, you can still have a decent ceremony with close friends and family for cheap. The whole concept of an expensive wedding is some bullshit anyway honestly.

Alternatively she can just hire who she wants and lie to the dad about it and let him have a meltdown the day of. What's he gonna do, have a freak out in the middle of the reception because the DJ put a rap song on? He's gonna be the one looking like a lunatic.

It's unreasonable to ask her to screen literally every employee anyway; if she hires a caterer she's gotta then make sure every single person on staff is white? Pff.

yeah i'm pretty sure the people who came up with the "the average wedding costs $25,000" statistic were heavily involved in the wedding planning industry in some capacity

there's people who've gotten married in taco bell and had the ceremony officiated by the regional manager, i'm not saying that should be anyone's ideal wedding, but if you're going to spend 25,000 on something to officiate your marriage, make it a down payment on a house.

lazorexplosion posted:

right? it's absolutely insane. it's the most callous and unempathetic thing you could possibly do, lol, how loving goony and weird

"well, honey, i know you're hurt, but you really should think about how you've violated the person who i was loving in that video and how you've wronged us both"

getting mad about your own privacy is one thing and i understand it completely but jesus christ don't bring the person (s)he's mad about's feelings into this, they shouldn't really be involved in the fight you're going to have about this topic in the first place in anything but the abstract sense.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 17, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Whenever I imagine my dream wedding it always ends up just being my dream vacation and I'm more excited by the fact that I'm in the world's frog biodiversity hotspot than I'm getting married which, to be fair, is probably a considerable contributing factor to why I have never been engaged

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
also the whole insect/spider thing

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

Whenever I imagine my dream wedding it always ends up just being my dream vacation and I'm more excited by the fact that I'm in the world's frog biodiversity hotspot than I'm getting married which, to be fair, is probably a considerable contributing factor to why I have never been engaged

a weird international vacation honeymoon is also a better way to spend $25,000 than a god drat wedding

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Not to derail into wedding chat but as someone in the midst of planning a wedding that's low on fanciness but still a big party, the costs add up incredibly fast.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

zakharov posted:

Not to derail into wedding chat but as someone in the midst of planning a wedding that's low on fanciness but still a big party, the costs add up incredibly fast.

tbh i feel like it should not only be culturally acceptable to charge people to come to your wedding, it should be the norm and it should be taboo to refuse

c'mon people, you shouldn't have to start a lifetime together with 5 digits in credit card debt

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

zakharov posted:

Did you really have to post this, just starting the wedding planning stuff and all I can think is "What the gently caress have I done to myself and my bank account" another frequent thought is "Let's just go hit the courthouse please"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

Weddings are insanely expensive, I had a friend who had a $15,000 wedding (as in, I know specifically because she was discussing this with me) that ultimately felt really bare-bones and kind of crummy. Frankly I'd have gone Full lovely (like "in a park and each person brings a plush frog and nothing else") or gone up to like $30,000 for exactly what I wanted (lots of frogs).

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Mirthless posted:

tbh i feel like it should not only be culturally acceptable to charge people to come to your wedding, it should be the norm and it should be taboo to refuse

c'mon people, you shouldn't have to start a lifetime together with 5 digits in credit card debt

if you do this then don't expect gifts.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

MF_James posted:

Did you really have to post this, just starting the wedding planning stuff and all I can think is "What the gently caress have I done to myself and my bank account" another frequent thought is "Let's just go hit the courthouse please"

Hahaha sorry man.

It really helped us to make lists of what was important to us and what we would be willing to compromise on, and stick to it. It's very easy to wind up spending way more than you planned.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Waterbed Wendy posted:

if you do this then don't expect gifts.

you can buy yourself a lot of gifts with $25,000

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

do you know any racists? it is perfectly acceptable, and in fact expected, that The Help are black/Hispanic/Romani/whatever

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

zakharov posted:

Hahaha sorry man.

It really helped us to make lists of what was important to us and what we would be willing to compromise on, and stick to it. It's very easy to wind up spending way more than you planned.

Yeah that's basically going to be our first big talk, we did an initial chat and looked at checklists online and decided we'll figure out what's important to each of us individually and then get back together and go from there.

Honestly, I could loving care less, I just want to be married at the end of the day, anyone that comes needs to leave with a full belly of food and/or alcohol, and a good time had by all.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

quote:

I [27f] just found my husband [31m] sniffing my mother's used underwear.

My husband and I were on a mini holiday this week and thought it would be nice to visit my parents for the extended weekend.

Now my mom is trying to get in better shape and jogs most mornings and even lifts some weights she has in her basement. I hear my mom doing her usual fitness routine while me and my husband are just waking up from bed.

My parents had told us of previous plans they had this morning and afternoon with another couple. So as my mom and dad shower and then leave for their brunch, I decide I want to take a page out of her book and go down and lift some weights.

I explain that all to my husband who is still waking up and head downstairs to start working out. After 5-10 min I decide I need some water but when I get upstairs I hear weird noises coming from my parent's room. I kind of creep in to see what's going on and I see my husband on his knees, with his erect cock out, holding the dirty pair of my mom's underwear to his face. They were the same pair she was wearing during her morning workout routine today.

I stood there completely stunned. He was in his own little world and I guess didn't even see me off to the side. It looked like he was in some euphoric heaven as I heard him actually sniffing her panties.

It took me a second to just stutter out a "what.. are you..doing?"

When he turns toward me and instantly tries to hide the underwear. I explain that I know what I saw. I honestly don't remember that initial conversation much. I feel like my mind put some weird haze over it. It ends with him saying he thought they were mine since I took a shower in their room yesterday. But why would I throw my stuff in my parents personal laundry bin. And he also must know that they weren't any that he had seen before in our house, and were obviously several sizes too big for me. Also, not to be gross, but these were all moist.. I looked at them and felt them. Clearly someone had just worked out in them.

He explained that he thought they were mine and that he was horny from not having sex all weekend. Which is true, we hadn't had sex since we left for my parent's house on thursday. So we had sex. I don't know why. My brain has been in a haze. But I did feel closer and that we could move forward. But as I sit here more things don't add up and I'm starting to feel sick about it and just sortof dumb.

I didn't say anything to my mom and don't think I ever could.

I will also say that my husband has a used panty/sock/bra fetish. I know it's strange but I have already come to terms with that. He likes to sniff and kiss my used items before they go in the wash. I was weirded out at first but come to accept it because I love him. I even grew to like it because I felt flattered he wanted my scent so bad. But they have always been MY panties.

Do I just move on? How do I act going forward if I should say something? We have been married 6 years now. I don't even truly feel upset at the moment. Just stunned and as if it's happening to someone else.

tl;dr: My husband was pleasuring himself with my mom's dirty underwear. We seem to be sweeping it under the rug for now. I don't know how to feel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What the gently caress is it with men smelling women's underwear? I had a cat that did this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Pick posted:

What the gently caress is it with men smelling women's underwear? I had a cat that did this.

I have had a lot of dogs that LOVE getting all up in the underwear (whether it's loose or currently being worn) but yeah, never really understood the panty-sniffing, especially ones that are all sweaty.....

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Pick posted:

Did your cat only smell women's underwear or also men's?

If only women's then your cat is clearly just trying to sniff out its own kind.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

MF_James posted:

Yeah that's basically going to be our first big talk, we did an initial chat and looked at checklists online and decided we'll figure out what's important to each of us individually and then get back together and go from there.

Honestly, I could loving care less, I just want to be married at the end of the day, anyone that comes needs to leave with a full belly of food and/or alcohol, and a good time had by all.

That was our main wish list too. Now wait til you get your first catering quote :)

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

MF_James posted:

I have had a lot of dogs that LOVE getting all up in the underwear (whether it's loose or currently being worn) but yeah, never really understood the panty-sniffing, especially ones that are all sweaty.....

a friend of mine had a tiny chihuaha that had the run of the house, whenever guests came over it would grab dirty ladies underwear from ?? and drag it into whatever room everyone was in.The underwear was bigger than the dog, which dragged it backwards.

It was adorable, and embarrassing.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Pick posted:

I guess it's sort of sweet, in a way? Like smelling a boyfriend's shirt or something when he's away?

Obviously not in the context of 'I'm just going to whack off in my in-laws bedroom using my MIL's panties, no way this could go wrOH HEY HONEY UHHH JUST JERKING OFF IN YOUR PARENTS' BEDROOM! BUT NOT WITH YOUR MOM'S PANTIES!'

I get that trying to hide the panties was an instinctual move but lmao dude you're already jerking off in her parents' bedroom, the time to hide your creeping has passed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Did your cat only smell women's underwear or also men's?

If only women's then your cat is clearly just trying to sniff out its own kind.

Exclusively pussy-on-pussy.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

froward posted:

a friend of mine had a tiny chihuaha that had the run of the house, whenever guests came over it would grab dirty ladies underwear from ?? and drag it into whatever room everyone was in.The underwear was bigger than the dog, which dragged it backwards.

It was adorable, and embarrassing.

Good god, how fat was the rear end that belonged to that lady? Unless it was a teacup chihuahua or something or she shat herself constantly and the dog couldn't bear the load.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

MF_James posted:

i don't know, i find my partner's scent very appealing most of the time, maybe it's a hormonal thing? though invariably the dudes with a fetish for this are always weirdly predatory like the guy in the post, so lol, i have no loving idea where they're coming from.

his excuse is dumb as hell and i doubt this is the first time he's done something like this or the last time he will. is it something to end a marriage over? :shrug: maybe?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Pick posted:

Exclusively pussy-on-pussy.

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccce

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waterbed Wendy posted:

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccce

Not my current orange cat though. It's an invariable fact of nature that orange cats are gay, just ask Trig Discipline.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pick posted:

Not my current orange cat though. It's an invariable fact of nature that orange cats are gay, just ask Trig Discipline.

The G in Garfield stands for Gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

Whoa there, slow your roll dude. Yeah, it might be a little weird on paper, but my girlfriend has told me before that she sniffs my clothing when the mood strikes on occasion. I'm sure she did it much more when we were long distance for a long while too!

It's completely nuts if OP's husband is sniffing his MIL's underwear though. I agree. I don't get full-blown panty fetishes either, which are real weird.