Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have always assumed if I went to court I'd have to play dumb for the first few hours while they made the jury selection. "I listen to tapes of law classes in my spare time and am obsessed with true crime documentaries, but am a scientist, and a feminist" is probably going to get me chucked out pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not getting picked for a jury is easy, just saying you've ever experienced anything even close to whatever the lawyers ask you about or could possibly have an opinion on it will get you out. The problem is then you have to go back down to the basement and wait for them to call you again.

The real secret to jury duty is just to play dumb and get on the first jury they call you for and hope it's not a criminal case. It's at least more interesting than sitting in the basement waiting and they will probably let you go after.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve sat through jury selection twice. On time I was kicked out late enough that my duty was considered served and I didn’t have to return to the waiting room.

The other time, jury selection actually went to a second day. My luck had me show up on day two and get kicked out two minutes in.

What I’m saying is: you’ll probably be dismissed. Bring a book.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I feel like the only person on earth who wants to do jury duty, but I've never been called.

Same. I really really want to do it but I'm almost 30 and nothing. Do they think I suck? Cause I do

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Same. I really really want to do it but I'm almost 30 and nothing. Do they think I suck? Cause I do

My only other theory besides "court system secretly knows I suck" is that I moved around a lot until after grad school... But I've been a resident of my current state for about 7 years, with a state ID for most of that time, so that should be long enough...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pick posted:

I have always assumed if I went to court I'd have to play dumb for the first few hours while they made the jury selection. "I listen to tapes of law classes in my spare time and am obsessed with true crime documentaries, but am a scientist, and a feminist" is probably going to get me chucked out pretty fast.

Courts are pretty good at spotting people who are trying to get out of jury duty by being smartasses and generally frown upon it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

My only other theory besides "court system secretly knows I suck" is that I moved around a lot until after grad school... But I've been a resident of my current state for about 7 years, with a state ID for most of that time, so that should be long enough...

Did you register to vote? Because my county uses the voter rolls to build it's potential juror list.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Courts are pretty good at spotting people who are trying to get out of jury duty by being smartasses and generally frown upon it.

Respect the judge, and don’t waste everyone’s time by arguing how you’re a special snowflake who can’t take the time to sit on a jury. If that were actually true, you should have explained it via mail/phone when you got the summons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, FF episode "Sharper Image" is all about how forensic odontology has problems.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I missed a jury notification due to moving out of state the prior year, did all the paperwork updates and everything. The jury office tracked me down in my new state to inquire why I hadn't gone to the jury call. I had to send them a scan of my new license before they would believe that I was ineligible.

You made the unfortunate mistake of confirming that you recieved notice, something they could never prove otherwise.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm mid 30's and no one I know has ever been called. It sounds like some good boring fun.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

flosofl posted:

Did you register to vote? Because my county uses the voter rolls to build it's potential juror list.

Yup, been registered since I qualified for residency. I like to vote, too.

Pick posted:

By the way, FF episode "Sharper Image" is all about how forensic odontology has problems.

I had to see if The Sharper Image still exists. Short story: sorta.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I had to see if The Sharper Image still exists. Short story: sorta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyONt_ZH_aw

Sad!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

purple death ray posted:

Not getting picked for a jury is easy, just saying you've ever experienced anything even close to whatever the lawyers ask you about or could possibly have an opinion on it will get you out.

I think this depends. I have a friend in South Carolina who was called for jury duty. The first case she was in the pool for was a child abuse case. She told them she had been a teacher for a few decades in a nearby district, and that if it came down to the girl's word against the accused, she was going to believe the girl. She was selected.

Then during the trial evidence came to light that resulted in a mistrial and so the jury were taken to their holding room. The judge came in, explained there was going to be a mistrial, and told them the full details of what had happened and this guy's previous history of abusing this girl, thanked them for their time, and left.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Yeah, it's definitely not the case that similar experiences will automatically get you off. Our judge asked very specific questions about what happened and why it would affect people when they tried to use that excuse. Maybe it's different with violent crimes though.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Phanatic posted:

I think they were implying that if they wanted to be -picked- for jury duty they'd have to play dumb.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Jury duty sounds interesting to me, but around here it pays $25 a day and I'd have to use vacation time from work, too. I can't afford that.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Ok, weird historical thing here. So I was reading up on Nazi collaborators on Wiki and one had a brief reference to a massacre by French soldiers in World War 2

quote:

Nevertheless, on 9 May 1940, immediately prior to Fall Gelb, Van Severen was one of a number of far right and far left activists arrested.[5] The arrested men were put under the care of the French Army and stationed near Abbeville. On 20 May, when the advancing German Army cut off the area, a group of French soldiers carried out a massacre and killed a number of members of Verdinaso, Rex and the Belgian Communist Party, among them Van Severen.[5] Twenty one suspects of varying political stripe were selected and executed without trial.[9]

Now, that confused me because I consider myself vaguely well read and hadn't heard of anything like that so I did a google search and found more details posted on various, it reads like a darkly comic farce

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/50389-abbeville-massacre-by-french-troops-1940/

quote:

On 15 May the prisons of Bruges in Belgium were overflowing with "fifth columnists" and with the approach of the German Army the 79 suspects were despatched to Abbeville in France.

The convoy included Leon Degrelle - the well known Belgian Fascist. He was lucky; he was recognised and dragged out and beaten-up by French soldiers and handed over to the Sureté.

Also included was Joris Van Severen, head of a party called Verdinaso, very right wing and advocates of Greater Belgium (based upon Charlemagne's "Frankish -Flemish" Empire of 800ish). This party, however, was very anti-German.

The remainder were a very mixed bunch:

14 Germans, 6 Dutch, 3 Luxembourg, 9 Italians, 2 Swiss, 1 French man (from Alsace - with a German accent), 1 Austrian, 1 Czech and 1 Canadian - Robert Bell, Ice-Hockey Coach.

The remainder were of unknown nationality - in most cases lack of "papers" had been sufficient to get them incarcerated.

This motley group arrived in Abbeville on night of 19th may 1940 and for want of anything appropriate were locked in the cellar of a large shop. An unfortunate Belgian who had refused to join the French Army was added to the group.

On the very next day, 20 May Guderian's Panzers arrived.

Capitan Marcel Digeon (Major rank in the US or British Army) and his 5th Company, 28th Regional Regiment was in charge. He orders Sgt Mollet to dispose of the prisoners.

Mollet was uncomfortable and returns to Dingeon who this time is more explicit "shoot the lot" is the answer.

To get it over with a French soldier throws a grenade into the Cellar but it does not explode. Then Lieutenant Rene Caron, whose Platoon is involved and who is believed to be drunk, joins the group.

The prisoners are taken out and shot in groups of two and four.

A total of 21 are summarily murdered without even an attempt at a Courts Martial.

The slaughter is only stopped when another French Officer, Lieutenant Leclabart also of 28th RR comes by - "are you mad" he exclaims and stops the massacre.

Too late to save the 20 men and one old lady who have already been executed. Those executed included, a Benedictine Brother (but German), four Anti-fascist Italian Refugees, the driver of the transport (shot by mistake) and the Canadian Ice Hockey Team Coach.

The Germans set up Trial in 1941 but Capitan Dingeon committed suicide immediately prior to its sitting - it is unclear what happened to others involved.

That just raised more questions on how the hell a Canadian hockey coach ended up being killed by French soldiers and another Google search supplied some more brief information.

http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?7370-Bobby-bell

quote:

Robert Arthur Bell

He was born in Lachine, Quebec 1905 and attended McGill University in the mid 1920's. [Not to be confused with legendary McGill coach Robert Blagrave Bell]. Bell then came over to Europe in 1927 as a member of the Montreal Victorias, invited by Swedish sponsors. Their exhibition tour in Sweden was a smashing success and they quickly recieved invitations from another six countries, ending up playing 14 games on their European tour, winning them all [Total score was 155-10]. The team had two ex-NHL'ers (Dave Campbell and Earl Robinson], plus one future NHL'er [Joe Lamb], so it was a very good team.

Bell was approached by HC Davos just after the Victorias had won a mini-tournament in Milano. Bell had scored 3 goals against a Davos/St.Moritz combination and impressed the Davos management. He wasn't cheap though, recieving a hefty 2,000 Swiss francs per month, which was a lot of money back then. Bell went on to play and coach for HC Davos between 1927-29. Bell also played for the Paris Canadians in 1928-29, made up of mainly Canadians studying in Paris.

He continued to play and coach for Zürcher SC, SC Bern and once again HC Davos until 1935, before moving to Germany. There he played for teams made up by German and European Canadians. He then played and coached for Düsseldorfer EG between 1936-38, before coaching SC Riessersee. In Düsseldorf he earned close to 400 reichsmark a month, plus a car and apartment.

Bell was well respected and popular among the players, a very good coach. He was hired to coach the German national team during the second half of the 1930's, leading them to several EC-medals.

Many details about his death is still unclear, but it is clear that he was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and that eventually cost him his life. He was detained during a border control in early March 1940, unclear where, and transported to Brussels on March 3. The reason was that he was travelling from Germany but had no papers/documents at all. He was suspected of being a German collaborator/spy. Bell was in a Brussels prison for nearly two months.

The Germans troops were getting closer to Brussels, so on May 15,1940 it was decided that Bell and 78 other suspected collaborators for the "other side" would be transported on trucks over the border to France instead, where it was deemed safer. A convoy of three trucks arrived to Abbeville (Northern France) late on May 19/early May 20 and the prisoners were crammed into a cellar below a music store.

The German troops where however approaching fast there too, so the French commanding officer, Marcel Dingeon gave the order to kill all 79 prisoners. Aside from Bell there were more than 20 Belgians, 18 of unknown nationality, 14 Germans, 9 Italians, 6 from the Netherlands, 3 from Luxembourg, 2 from Switzerland, 1 each from France, Spain, Austria, Czechoslovakia and Denmark.

Groups of two or four prisoners at a time were brought out from the cellar and executed with gunshots or stabbed with a bayonette. One of them was Bell, who according to the survivors heroically stood up and voluntarily climbed up the stairs out of the cellar, showing no fear at all. After having killed 21 of the prisoners (including Bell), the soldiers wanted to speed things up, so one of the soldiers threw a handgrenade into the cellar, but it didn't explode. The German bombardment around them intensified and the French soldiers had to take cover all the time, delaying the executions.

At that point, lieutenant Jean Leclabart went by the scene, knowing the rules of POW's very well. He asked them if they had all gone crazy and demanded to see a written statement that these executions were sanctioned. When the soldiers failed to give him any documents he ordered them to stop the killing, thus saving the other 58 prisoners. Later that day, the Germans brushed through Abbeville, completely destroying the village.

The questionmarks here:

1) Bobby Bell is said to have coached SC Riessersee to a German title in 1941.

2) I have a note from December 1940 saying that he was the coach for SC Riessersee during a tour to Italy.

3) Some sources say he was killed in 1945

But that can't be correct unless that was another hockey playing Bobby Bell.
In any case, it's a tragic but fascinating story, one of many in the hockey world.

Not really unnerving but still bizarre how some poor hockey coach ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Nckdictator has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Jan 17, 2017

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013
Re: Jury duty chat, my dad once got selected for jury duty and made it onto the jury...for a horrible child abuse case. The whole thing gave him nightmares, and to this day he still won't talk about it. :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A friend of mine was a volunteer for CASA, and ended up appointed to a child who ended up beaten to death.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

pookel posted:

Jury duty sounds interesting to me

Unless you're an alternate. They don't get to deliberate unless someone leaves for whatever reason. Otherwise, it's sit in the courtroom by yourself and wait.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flyball posted:

Unless you're an alternate. They don't get to deliberate unless someone leaves for whatever reason. Otherwise, it's sit in the courtroom by yourself and wait.

Yeah but once in a blue moon an alternate juror gets to be an agent of chaos, like in the Malheur trial.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
The last time I got called for jury duty, we spent about three hours waiting with no one getting called, until they finally just decided to draw volunteers' names for the coroner's jury in the meantime. I volunteered, thinking the one day of coroner's jury would beat potentially spending the rest of the week waiting to be called on. And hey, I got picked!

Everyone else on the coroner's jury had the same idea, so we were all a little disappointed when one of the other jurors with a friend who'd stayed behind told us that everyone else had been dismissed for the week, about a half hour after we had all left.

And then the first case we had to decide on was that of a young woman who'd overdosed and was then apparently abandoned in her car, just a mile or two from the nearest hospital, by the guy she was with. Her father came to the hearing just so he could hear the police testimony and get some answers about what had happened to his daughter.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
egg

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

im unnerved

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I find it somewhat unnerving that you can be thrown out of being in a jury by telling them you know about an idea of jury nullification.

in Australia the lawyers are only allowed to look at you, and from that decide you're eligible to stay or not. Not ask any questions, just look at you.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

There's already a creepy pictures thread dude.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3683389&perpage=40&pagenumber=42#pti23

I'd appreciate it if I didn't have to see poo poo like the lice gif in this thread

Or gross poo poo like this:

Horrid!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
I've been called for jury duty twice. The first time I was sent home fairly quickly. The second time I was there for eight hours and ultimately got sent home. I don't remember the details anymore but it had something to do with either a father suing his son for hospital costs or the other way around when the two of them got in a car accident with each other. I was sent away because I had a background as a CNA and medical evidence would be a feature. I was pretty disappointed in being sent home. But when I was there people gave the weakest excuses as to why they couldn't be on a jury and the Judge just waved them to leave. Like even he was bored by the whole thing.

Based on how narrow the field is to be able to stay it's amazing how anybody is picked for a jury. It's almost like you need to be a complete blank slate.

In famous cases, how do they choose juries based on the fact that you'd have to be living on Mars not to know anything about the case? Like Casey Anthony or OJ Simpson? I'm assuming they have to work around that somehow. But how?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I got dismissed for being a philosophy major back when I was in college. I've lived in three states since and never been called again.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Phanatic posted:

The one time I did jury duty the bailiff was awesome and would come in and talk with us during recesses. He said he once was with a judge after a jury selection when one of the prospective jurors was very obviously trying to get out of jury duty ("Oh yeah, I feel this way about X issue. It will definitely impact how I feel about the trial. No, I can't be impartial." etc.). The judge told his clerk to make sure the guy got called up as frequently as possible after that. No clue if a judge could actually do that, but it made for a good story.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

bean_shadow posted:

In famous cases, how do they choose juries based on the fact that you'd have to be living on Mars not to know anything about the case? Like Casey Anthony or OJ Simpson? I'm assuming they have to work around that somehow. But how?

They know that finding people who are completely unaware of the situation would be impossible, so they focus more on weeding out people who have already made up their mind about the case. They try to find people that seem likely to be able to set their foreknowledge of the case aside and look at the evidence presented in court. Only thing you can do really.

Then once the jury is selected they're isolated so that the media coverage can't influence them from that point. Of course in huge trials like OJ Simpson there are still problems where jury members are caught listening to the radio or watching t.v., that kind of thing. Its never perfect.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Jan 17, 2017

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Getting out of Jury Duty is easy, the trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

Getting out of Jury Duty is easy, the trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races

Homer Simpson: father of a generation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DogonCrook posted:

You made the unfortunate mistake of confirming that you recieved notice, something they could never prove otherwise.

If you're in another state and they decide to make an issue of it (which since they bothered to track you down, they already have), telling them "You can't prove I received it so nyah nyah nyah" is *guaranteed* to be a bigger pain in the rear end then just proving that you actually moved.

Comstar posted:

I find it somewhat unnerving that you can be thrown out of being in a jury by telling them you know about an idea of jury nullification.

in Australia the lawyers are only allowed to look at you, and from that decide you're eligible to stay or not. Not ask any questions, just look at you.

That's pretty hosed. Are there any protections against, say, kicking out the three black guys in the juror pool? I understand the US's racial history is somewhat checkered but it's not like Australia is a paragon of progressivism.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Nckdictator posted:

Not really unnerving but still bizarre how some poor hockey coach ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.
This is fascinating and much more interesting than jury duty chat. I especially wonder how he was still coaching after being executed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pookel posted:

Jury duty sounds interesting to me, but around here it pays $25 a day and I'd have to use vacation time from work, too. I can't afford that.

Yeah, employers have to give you time off for jury duty, but they aren't required to pay you for that time

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That's the reason I never showed for jury duty. I'm not going to burn my sick/vacation days or flat out lose money to go to jury duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Jack Gladney posted:

I got dismissed for being a philosophy major back when I was in college. I've lived in three states since and never been called again.

I was on a jury, I'm not sure how I wasn't given the boot. And as a bonus it was a murder trial.

Four dumbasses were eating at McDonalds in their truck and getting stoned late one night, one of them was the grand-daughter of a retired pastor. She told them that her gramps had tons of money and guns in his basement. So two of the dudes went to rob him, they held him at gunpoint and tried to cut a hole in the floor to get to the basement (they were that dumb). When that didn't work, they made the old man write them a check for $2000. And then because they were assholes they shot him in the rear end, unfortunately for them (and him) the .22 bullet traveled up through his body and killed him.

Yes they tried to cash the check. My trial was for the grand-daughter. I think they did get to the basement and stole 4 rifles, my memory is hazy.

Bonus fact, before trying to rob the grandfather they tried to rob a local 'millionaire' (and former bank robber) Del Dunmire, who had bought all of Bob's Bizarre Bazzare and moved it to Harrisonville MO, where the four believed Del also kept barrels of money, literally. The Bob in Bob's is non other than Bob Berdella - a local Kansas City serial killer of medium reknown.

porktree has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Jan 17, 2017