Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
TVIV operates on LOST/Leftovers style magic; only the good posters can see the good threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just found out there's a 108 page thread in this forum about Power Rangers. Am I in the bad place?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm 2 episodes into Series of Unfortunate Events and I'm not quite sure what I think of it. I find the style a bit jaunty and the episodes feel long in a bad way, which may come down to all the dense dialogue. I haven't felt the need to watch two episodes in a row yet, but I'm not feeling the need to stop watching either. The second episode roped me in a bit more since it seemed to go a little lighter on the Snicket/Warburton "turn away, this is terrible" stuff and give Olaf/NPH more to work with. It just seems like its going to take awhile for me to get through it instead of a 2-3 day binge. Which I suppose matches with some reading where I'll read for an hour or 2-3 and then just need to put it down and pick it up again tomorrow.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mu Zeta posted:

Am I in the bad place?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

I'm 2 episodes into Series of Unfortunate Events and I'm not quite sure what I think of it. I find the style a bit jaunty and the episodes feel long in a bad way, which may come down to all the dense dialogue. I haven't felt the need to watch two episodes in a row yet, but I'm not feeling the need to stop watching either. The second episode roped me in a bit more since it seemed to go a little lighter on the Snicket/Warburton "turn away, this is terrible" stuff and give Olaf/NPH more to work with. It just seems like its going to take awhile for me to get through it instead of a 2-3 day binge. Which I suppose matches with some reading where I'll read for an hour or 2-3 and then just need to put it down and pick it up again tomorrow.

It seems like everyone, myself included, agrees that the first 2 episodes are the weakest, especially when it comes to NPH. Keep watching (don't keep watching, I beg you).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not bailing on it. There's enough there and people seem to like it enough that I'm willing to stick with it. I think my biggest hurdle is that the style of dialogue, especially from the kids, just feels kind of grating over the course of 8 hours instead of 2 like in a Wes Anderson movie. Which I think is part of the reason I'm feeling the need to pace out the episodes instead of binging.

Like, I'm already kind of sick of the "in this case ______ means _______" thing that seems to have been used roughly 100 times in the first 2 episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having never read the books, the thing that's keeping me up at night is the whole "this story doesn't have a happy ending" caveat. :ohdear:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When I first started it and they kept hammering the "this is a terrible story, nothing good happens, there is no happy ending, turn back now" thing I actually momentarily paused and considered turning it off. But they were hitting it so hard that I decided not to take it too seriously. Plus it all seems to come from the Lemony Snickett character and he seems to be walking this line between narrator and actual character as he is mid investigation of the story so it seems like it leaves open the possibility that he just doesn't know how the story ends. He comes off to me as an unreliable narrator.

At least that's how I'm justifying ignoring the opening theme every time I turn on an episode.

And yeah, I didn't even know that random weird Jim Carrey movie was based on books. So I have no idea what to expect.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 17, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Coming from nowhere, here's the new Elizabeth Moss show on Hulu: The Handmaid's Tale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dre0wQmLGe8

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The set design for Lemony Snicket was done by the guy who did the set design on Edward Scissorhands, and it really shows in places like episodes 3+4.

Also, episodes 3+4 introduce one of the best characters played by a really funny actor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for that (Handmaid's Tale). Looks like it's gonna be somethin special. Moss has the best taste in roles I swear

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Can't wait for that (Handmaid's Tale). Looks like it's gonna be somethin special. Moss has the best taste in roles I swear

She's also coming back for another season of Top of the Lake this year.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

I think my biggest hurdle is that the style of dialogue, especially from the kids, just feels kind of grating over the course of 8 hours instead of 2 like in a Wes Anderson movie.

I almost made the same comparison. I loving hate Wes Anderson movies and I think that might be part of why the show doesn't work for me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Oh man it was terrible. I love anything Holmes but this was just bad.

Apparently Holmes has a sister. He does not remember her at all. Mycroft has her locked away in a secret island prison. No one is allowed to talk to her beside him because she can 'reprogram' anyone with one conversation. For some reason, that I forget, on Christmas as a present Mycroft brings in Moriarty to have a unsupervised talk with her. She has him make all these recordings for after he dies to bring him back. Skip to the ending it's revealed she killed Sherlock's best friend (His brother told him she only killed their dog) when they were like 10 . She did this because she didn't have best friend or was included in their pirate games they played.

In the novels Sherlock doesn't even have a sister. They just ruin good things.

Spoiler just in case anyone intends to watch it.

lol, why is the pirate game the thing that looks the worst.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shageletic posted:

lol, why is the pirate game the thing that looks the worst.

When they were kids Sherlock and his best friend would dress up as pirates and play pretend. I forget what Sherlock went by but his friend was Redbeard when they played. Eurus killed him. In the flashbacks she is watching them play but not playing along. Which of course is a justified reason to murder another child. They were like 10 at the time and apparently no one gave a poo poo that a kid died.

Mind you the whole episode they said Redbeard was a dog. Such a great twist at the end "Oh yea wasn't a dog. Was your childhood best friend I killed".

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Digital Jedi posted:

I forget what Sherlock went by

Yellowbeard. Note one of the writers.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it translates really well. I despised the movie too and the show nails the feel of the books perfectly. Aside from one person in the show's thread, everyone who's coming at the show from the background of the books seem to like it. It looks to me like people bouncing off the first episode tend to not like the style that the show and books are going for.

I think you'll enjoy it.

Uh I'm the one guy that actually really liked the movie, but is kinda wary of committing to something that seems to spin its wheel as a thematic point, 1) why did you not like the movie, and 2) what does the show do better than it? Thx.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Coming from nowhere, here's the new Elizabeth Moss show on Hulu: The Handmaid's Tale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dre0wQmLGe8

Posted it a few pages ago. Excited/dreading it, it's a real, real heavy book.

EDIT:

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's also coming back for another season of Top of the Lake this year.

Really, really, really did not like it ended.

I mean serious, how much sexual abuse can happen in one peaceful hamlet.

Yes, entire communities can be riven by it, but at the end it felt exploitative.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 17, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Uh I'm the one guy that actually really liked the movie, but is kinda wary of committing to something that seems to spin its wheel as a thematic point, 1) why did you not like the movie, and 2) what does the show do better than it? Thx.

I couldn't stand Jim Carrey's version of Count Olaf. Cramming the plot of 3 books into one movie meant that not enough time was spent on any of them and the characters and plot had no room to breathe or develop. Plus they also did some really weird nonsensical things with the plot, chopping out the finale of the first book and apending it on to the end of the movie despite it making no logical sense there.

The show addresses each of these complaints. I at least greatly prefer NPH's Count Olaf. With two episodes per book the story isn't rushed. And by adapting four books for the first season it feels like it reaches a meaningful end point rather than an arbitrary one. I also greatly prefer the show's version of Lemony Snicket. In the movie his role was very minimal and he was detached and not very funny, dramatically different from the narration of the books. In the show they chose instead to have him appear throughout talking directly to the audience and keeping a lot of the humor and charm that made me fall in love with the books in the first place.

Side note I'm not sure what you mean by "spin its wheel" because that's not how I'd describe what happens. There's definitely a forward moving plot.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 17, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If anything the speed at which the plot moves in Lemony Snicket (the Netflix show) is breathtaking. I'm on episode 4 now and I did not expect this much world-building and mystery and stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are a couple of reveals in the last two eps that hosed me UP.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Side note I'm not sure what you mean by "spin its wheel" because that's not how I'd describe what happens. There's definitely a forward moving plot.

The adults getting killed by an increasingly obvious Olaf, and no one listening to the kids entirely reasonable accusations regarding it.

Just found it vexing. I mean, there's motive AND means goddamn it, Law and Order would be all over this poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shageletic posted:

The adults getting killed by an increasingly obvious Olaf, and no one listening to the kids entirely reasonable accusations regarding it.

Just found it vexing. I mean, there's motive AND means goddamn it, Law and Order would be all over this poo poo.

The story takes that to a bit of an extreme, but it's not as though adults not believing kids when they tell them about horrible things other adults have done isn't a thing that happens all the time in real life.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

If you've only seen the movie then yeah that element is taken to the extreme. It's mainly the first 3 books that follow that formula with no deviation which was all the movie covered. Already by the last two episodes of the TV show covering the fourth book things have started moving in a different direction.

Not to say you won't find it frustrating. A big theme of the books is about being trapped in an uncaring and ignorant world and how they learn to survive and protect themselves in spite of it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who gets annoyed by that stuff has clearly never been a child

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Anyone who gets annoyed by that stuff has clearly never been a child

It certainly connected with me when I first read the books as a kid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, it's a very Roald Dahl thing, straight out of Matilda.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just assuming it takes place in the same universe as The Addams Family

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Shageletic posted:

Really, really, really did not like it ended.

I mean serious, how much sexual abuse can happen in one peaceful hamlet.

Yes, entire communities can be riven by it, but at the end it felt exploitative.

did someone miss the last couple of decades of Catholic Church news?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Netflix released the trailer for their new series, The Santa Clarita Diet today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjRnbOgoAUQ

I'll give it a shot, I guess?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Looks good to me.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

It's so so so satisfying when someone makes a lovely smug pretentious post like this and you know they're totally wrong and just making themselves look like an idiot

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So it turns out I binged Lemony Snickett after all and just finished. So final thoughts. I enjoyed it well enough but I feel like I should have taken the advice of the show itself every time it told me there was no happy ending and it would ruin my night. The mother and father double fakeout was especially bummeriffic. I feel like I need to dig up something uplifting before I go to bed because this really did ruin my evening.

But then again, it promised exactly that repeatedly so...

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Netflix released the trailer for their new series, The Santa Clarita Diet today:

It's from the guy behind Better Off Ted so I'm probably gonna watch the entire season off of that pedigree alone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vanderdeath posted:

It's from the guy behind Better Off Ted so I'm probably gonna watch the entire season off of that pedigree alone.

I'm glad you mentioned that because now I will as well.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know you guys are really into Travellers so I was all baked one night and told myself "I'm going to check out that Timeless show those guys wont shut up about!"

So now I'm into Timeless. I eventually realised my mistake and watched Travellers as well, but Timeless hasn't finished airing yet so I'm week-to-week now. It's pretty fun, the good guys basically chase the bad guy through time as he prevents disasters from happening like the Hindenberg, except sometimes he does poo poo like personally shoot Abe Lincoln. I really like the bad guy, and the actor is doing a great job so I'm sort of watching just to see if he can pull off what he's trying to do. Black Scientist is one of the leads, for your Better Off Ted connection.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

bring back old gbs posted:

So now I'm into Timeless.

This week's Timeless was peak Timeless, and I mean that in a good way--sometimes its eps are way too bland time period of the week stuff, but eps like this where they team up with Harry Houdini to save Thomas Edison and also stop famed serial killer HH Holmes are nearly everything I want from the show. The only real disappointment for me is that the first episode established that they'd be loving up the timeline in a big way, but while they definitely do that, there don't seem to be any actual effects on present day other than, say, the sudden existence of a new James Bond movie.

If you're looking for more time travel, I've mentioned this before but my favorite time travel show this season is Frequency; it's a more grounded time travel story than the others, if that makes sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Timeless has a bunch of Bill & Ted references in the pilot so I keep meaning to get back to it to see if they keep doing that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Mick is really edging close to It's Always Sunny territory, in a good way. "Cat morphine! You know, morphine but for cats!"

It's remarkable how much they're getting away with- I know this is Fox and all, but there was some dark as hell poo poo in here. It's a good show is what I'm saying.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just heard about this today from io9. Got to the sentence "Santa Clarita Diet was created by Victor Fresco, who did Better Off Ted and Andy Richter Controls the Universe".

Sold!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just heard about this today from io9. Got to the sentence "Santa Clarita Diet was created by Victor Fresco, who did Better Off Ted and Andy Richter Controls the Universe".

Sold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7of0_IGq9T0

All the best to them.

• Locked thread