Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Albino Squirrel posted:

Well, there's really good wine NEAR Adelaide...

And Perth, down in Margaret River.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Slash posted:

And Perth, down in Margaret River.

Further compounds my view that Perth's best three features are the Kwinana Freeway, Great Eastern Highway and The Perth International Airport's departure lounge.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
What about Karnivool? They're from Perth

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From Perth :eng101:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Perth is a lovely, chill place to raise a family, with beautiful weather, beautiful beaches, and sweet gently caress all else to do. I moved away from there six years ago.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

(Via Bill Gates)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:laffo: that y axis. Amazing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What's wrong with it? It seems to start at 0 and grow linearly.

E: Or did you mean to say lol the x axis? Which would make sense. Though I don't think Bill Gates has an agenda to conceal the growth of emissions.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I assume they meant x axis

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It makes sense to have a logarithmic scale towards the past in your x axis, especially when you're trying to emphasize how extreme the last century/decade/years have been.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Ehhh, it's actually kind of misleading because it looks at a glance like emissions haven't increased for a while when really the rate of increase has just slowed down. It's still going up which is still very bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It makes sense to have a logarithmic scale towards the past in your x axis, especially when you're trying to emphasize how extreme the last century/decade/years have been.

It's not logarithmic or anything, it's just arbitrary.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Ehhh, it's actually kind of misleading because it looks at a glance like emissions haven't increased for a while when really the rate of increase has just slowed down. It's still going up which is still very bad.

Fair point. :smith:

steinrokkan posted:

It's not logarithmic or anything, it's just arbitrary.

It's piecewise linear, actually; 20 years between ticks from 1870 to an absent 2010, then 1 year between ticks. But yeah, it's bad.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

steinrokkan posted:

What's wrong with it? It seems to start at 0 and grow linearly.

E: Or did you mean to say lol the x axis? Which would make sense. Though I don't think Bill Gates has an agenda to conceal the growth of emissions.

Jaramin posted:

I assume they meant x axis

:hurr:

Yes. Posting while tired is always a dangerous game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That x-axis would make total sense in a game of Civilization :science:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Does VEP count registered voters or just 18+ citizens without felonies?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Maxwells Demon posted:

Does VEP count registered voters or just 18+ citizens without felonies?

The latter.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That's wonderful. They should totally do that and force the parties to keep coming back with new candidates until one of them beats 'none of the above.'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Same here.

Ages ago, I listened to a spoken word of Jello Biafra and he brought it up and I've thought it was a good idea ever since.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Jan 17, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Honestly it sounds like the negative vote, a nice idea in theory that has the potential to be a disaster in practice (kinda like the electoral college!). What happens if the population never gives a majority to anyone? Does the country just go un-run until then?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Antti posted:

Honestly it sounds like the negative vote, a nice idea in theory that has the potential to be a disaster in practice (kinda like the electoral college!). What happens if the population never gives a majority to anyone? Does the country just go un-run until then?

Worked for Belgium :v:

I have no idea if it actually worked or if that's what happened to Belgium

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It probably actually would 'work' because, much like in Belgium, a lot of the power in the US is delegated to the federal entities and below.

Could be a problem for foreign policy, though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Mandatory voting would eliminate that issue and seems to work in other counties. But the USA is different because reasons and it would never work.

Preferential voting would be better. If your first choice isn't in the top two your vote goes to your next pick. Going down the line until there's just two candidates splitting every vote. That way you're not 'wasting your vote' by voting for Gary.

Also people would be more likely to vote for their third party pick which could keep the two parties worried.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If I remember correctly, the only two developed countries that have mandatory voting are Belgium and Australia, and it doesn't seem to have led to radically different political patterns.

e: I looked it up and I guess Greece has it too, which I didn't know.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Jan 17, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Instant runoff elections (if there are 5 candidates and none gets a majority, the guy with the least number of votes gets ejected and everyone votes again for the 4 remaining), Borda counting (If there are 5 candidates, everyone casts 5 votes for their top candidate, 4 votes for their second-favorite, and so on, guy with the most votes wins), Condorcet voting (everyone lists all candidates in order of preference, the candidate that would win by a majority against all other candidates in theoretical head-to-head matchups wins) are all neat ideas, but Arrow's Theorem (simplifying here) shows that all of them can be gamed in various situations and lead to facially absurd results. We'd just wind up with *different* facially absurd results.

I just really like the idea of the electorate collectively saying "Nah, gently caress you guys, come back to us with someone better."

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phanatic posted:

I just really like the idea of the electorate collectively saying "Nah, gently caress you guys, come back to us with someone better."

Yeah. This is actually a very important result that should be recognized.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Phanatic posted:

Instant runoff elections (if there are 5 candidates and none gets a majority, the guy with the least number of votes gets elected)

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Arrows theorem applies to all types of elections, even the one we currently have. There's no way to elect the candidate that everyone would most desire; every voting system has an unfortunate trade-off.

Anyways, monarchy-for-life. No vote, no arrow theorem voting problem.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phanatic posted:

Yeah that'd be pretty fantastic.

lifg posted:

Arrows theorem applies to all types of elections, even the one we currently have.

Technically speaking it doesn't apply to cardinal voting systems (ie. scoring, rather than ranking). But even then there is a wider theorem that describes how basically it must be susceptible to voting strategies.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Jan 17, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

lifg posted:

Arrows theorem applies to all types of elections, even the one we currently have. There's no way to elect the candidate that everyone would most desire; every voting system has an unfortunate trade-off.

Anyways, monarchy-for-life. No vote, no arrow theorem voting problem.

Ankh-Morpork had dallied with many forms of government and had ended up with that form of democracy known as One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man; he had the Vote.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phanatic posted:

Arrow's Theorem (simplifying here) shows that all of them can be gamed in various situations and lead to facially absurd results. We'd just wind up with *different* facially absurd results.

Just because no system is perfect doesn't mean that some systems aren't better than others.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Ranked voting is bad and range voting is cool & good.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Getting rid of FPTP means the BNP get five votes. :ohdear:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Condorcet paradoxes are avoided if all votes are cast as per normal, but are then fed into an enormous glowing and pulsating Voting Orb rather than counted.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Just because no system is perfect doesn't mean that some systems aren't better than others.

No argument. gently caress at this point I thinking picking adults at random for presidential terms, no repeats, is better than what we do.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Phanatic posted:

No argument. gently caress at this point I thinking picking adults at random for presidential terms, no repeats, is better than what we do.

I've heard more then one comment t along the lines of 'I'd rather any American citizen between the ages of ~35-60 picked at random than Trump. No take backs'. And at least one of them was cognizant that the average person is a terrible choice for president.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Outrail posted:

I've heard more then one comment t along the lines of 'I'd rather any American citizen between the ages of ~35-60 picked at random than Trump.

Not just Trump.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
All these theories about voting are assuming that the true heart of the electorate believes in their philosophy, and any evidence contradicting that is merely a problem of the voting system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Outrail posted:

I've heard more then one comment t along the lines of 'I'd rather any American citizen between the ages of ~35-60 picked at random than Trump. No take backs'. And at least one of them was cognizant that the average person is a terrible choice for president.

Just make it so that the term for this system is a month long. Nobody really does any lasting damage, everyone feels like they have a pretty good chance at their turn. You get to throw a nice big party every month for each inauguration.