Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Fellis posted:

Has Atomic Samurai's sword hand-guard always been a swastika?

in the murata version it appears that its some kinda flower/orbit thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its a drawing of a electrons path around the nucleus of a atom probably, in the murata version

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Law Cheetah posted:

in the murata version it appears that its some kinda flower/orbit thing

Looks like an atom symbol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fellis posted:

More accurately, it's a manji. http://symboldictionary.net/?p=1669

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fellis posted:

No, that's Bleach.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fellis posted:

It's a Manji, a symbol that means luck or fortune or something and used to be all over everything, even in America. Then the nazis flipped it, and like armbands, no one uses them any more except the Japanese who were all on vacation for WW2, honest, why would anyone talk about it anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Some people like to make a verbal distinction between manji and swastika but there isn't, manji is literally just the japanese word, "whirlwind," for the symbol known in India as the svastika, which itself is a sanskrit word.

The swastika is a holy symbol from the Indian subcontinent and spread out with the various religions that originated there, including Buddhism, which is the context from which you see it used in Japan. However people aren't robots and know exactly what its modern context is, though you occasionally see people trying to "reclaim" it or to use it to be visually provocative without technically endorsing Nazism.

To put it into context, the first uses of the svastika in the West was a part of a cultural push among archaeological and linguistic circles to find the connections between Europeans and India. This happened sometime around people figured out that European, various Middle Eastern, and Indian languages probably had a common ancestor, speculatively called Proto-Indo-European. And that Indian culture had spread earlier than people had initially realized. On this topic, the Nazis also coopted another term from India, the word Aryan. Which was a religious and cultural term referring to a noble social class, not racial, but it got misunderstood by a bunch of racist nutters who wanted to associate the white race with this "noble people" and latched on their own ideas as to what the word means, without ever realizing (or refusing to admit) that Aryans in real life were brown people.

So, it's not the rest of the world's fault that Nazis adopted a bunch of Hindu symbols and later tainted them by association, or got them muddled up in their crazy anthropological fanfiction. But the only westerners who use it do it because of the Nazi connection, or to evoke the Nazi connection while also being terribly pedantic about how it predates the Nazis, which is lovely on two levels.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
"manji" is just the japanese word for the swastika. the nazis happened to use the right-facing version. china and india both still use it a lot too, not just japan

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xarbala posted:

So, it's not the rest of the world's fault that Nazis adopted a bunch of Hindu symbols and later tainted them by association, or got them muddled up in their crazy anthropological fanfiction. But the only westerners who use it do it because of the Nazi connection, or to evoke the Nazi connection while also being terribly pedantic about how it predates the Nazis, which is lovely on two levels.

While all this is true, it is important to recognize that One is not a westerner and that Atomic Samurai's usage of this symbol as a traditional Japanese swordsmen legitimately does predate the Nazis. Given this context, I feel it is misleading to refer the symbol on his hand-guard as a swastika.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Xarbala posted:

Some people like to make a verbal distinction between manji and swastika but there isn't, manji is literally just the japanese word, "whirlwind," for the symbol known in India as the svastika, which itself is a sanskrit word.

I had always thought the Indian svastika was oriented the other way, and the Nazis had taken a traditional symbol of fortune it and flipped it to show how their party had flipped Germany's fortune and it was all going to be peaches and cream going forward once we got rid of all those jews and also basically everyone else. Am I just wrong? Wouldn't be the first time.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
both orientations are used commonly, with different meanings depending on the particular religious or cultural tradition

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
King would have been instantly killed if he had tried tricking them with a conversation about swastikas. Something to keep in mind.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was pretty sure everyone had said their piece anyway.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Fellis posted:

Why do you think the jews fear the samurai?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

drilldo squirt posted:

Why do you think the jews fear the samurai?

They love Chiune Sugihara and while he is not a samurai he is a good man.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow that guy was born January 1st, 1900. That's pretty cool.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Also he appears to have been a legit hero. Thanks for the knowledge on a cool person, CannonFodder! :D

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
ONE is on a goddamn role cause 2 more pages have been added.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hate-Senpai posted:

ONE is on a goddamn role cause 2 more pages have been added.

Linked for your convenience - http://bato.to/reader#64994eb38fe33a48

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

:allears: this is wonderful, i can't stop smiling

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

atomic samurai is going to find out that king is very afraid and just assume thats because he has so much responsibility

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's gonna see that King is very dextrous with his hands due to all the competitive gaming and assuming it's because of his combat skills. He's also gonna see that King is deeply humble and be moved by how humble someone so powerful can be.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

King is going to very carefully and slowly cut the apple and AS is going to be emotionally moved by King going to such lengths to hold back his enormous strength

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

King is going to miss the apple completely and Atomic Samurai will be impressed that he doesn't use his power for needless destruction

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
King is going to peel the apple and Atomic Samurai will think that King is so bloodthirsty and sadistic that he wants to skin his enemies.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
King is gonna fail to cut the apple and Atomic Samurai is gonna be like 'he can hold back his power even with my amazing blade, he is a truly powerful man'

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Comics been updated. Pretty shocking response from King if you ask me.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Kegslayer posted:

Comics been updated. Pretty shocking response from King if you ask me.

http://imgur.com/a/3BlD9

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This is so loving tense

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Haha, King is going to be all "look at the apple. It is cut."

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

He probably just can't get the sword out of the scabbard.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
A truly honorable man who does not unsheathe a sword frivolously, truly a great warrior

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm on the edge of my seat here, King is the best

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT APPLE!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I like what happened to that apple!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

messagemode1 posted:

bacon flaps posted:

A truly honorable man who does not unsheathe a sword frivolously, truly a great warrior

It's both of these.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

King is such a consummate warrior that when he draws his weapons they must be sated by blood

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

messagemode1 posted:

Good call!

http://imgur.com/a/3BlD9

This was probably one of my favourite chapters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fantastic chapter. gently caress whoever translated it for how they translated Okamaitachi's name though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You've got a long road ahead, Atomic Samurai