Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

How old are the books?

redbackground posted:

What are the actual issues?

According to the price guides, which I'm sure are 100% correct and always accurately reflect the current market (not), the issues worth over $100 if graded at 9.2-ish are:

New Mutants 98 (1st Deadpool, thanks Tim Miller!), of which I have two
Uncanny X-Men 266 (might wait to see if they ever make a Gambit movie to sell this)
New Mutants 87A (1st Cable)
The Spectacular Spider-Man (magazine-sized, November 1968), of which I have two

Turns out CBCS will be accepting on-site submissions at a Vancouver comic & toy show in February. Are they reputable? Not sure if this means they are grading in-town or if they are shipping back to their main facility in Florida.

e. They are binging back with them to FL, so I would only save on the shipping.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If you're willing to wait for a Gambit movie then you might want to wait a few months to find out if the Cable & Deadpool movie is actually happening (or if that was just a gag) before selling that one, too.

e: Turns out it's pretty much confirmed to really be happening already. Carry on!

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 27, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It won't hurt to call your local shop and get a quote, but the one thing grading services are good for is artificially inflating the price of a comic to sell it to idiots who think that poo poo matters. So in your case, yeah, go for it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Hey BSS, I'm looking for some advice/others' perspective. My comic book collection is getting big enough that I need to start considering how to order them, but I'm not sure how. Right now I'm considering doing the following:

1) Order them based on publisher (DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, Humanoids, Boom)
2) Sub-order them per series alphabetically (Aqua Man, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman; for example)
3) Sub-sub-order the series chronologically (Moon Knight #1, Moon Knight #2, Marc Spector: Moon Knight, Moon Knight #3; for example)

But we all know comic book publishing can get topsy-turvy and things like crossovers, tie-ins and oddball specials also need to be taken into consideration. There's also an argument to be made for authors being a more worthwhile sorting metric than series names.

So my question is: how do you all have your comics sorted and what did you take into consideration when deciding on your sorting method?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I used to do it by publisher then by character/team name, so Action Comics and Superman or would be next to each other. Whether you do it so Action and Superman alternate or you have them all grouped together is personal choice. I remember when I was getting super books during the One Year Later soft relaunch the first four issues each of Action and Superman was an 8 part crossover then they started having seperate storylines, so I'd have those 8 in order then I think I'd just have all my Action books then all my Superman books.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just have everything alphabetized.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have Marvel by "series" (Annihilation/space, Avengers, F4, Daredevil, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc), then chronologically from there. I do this cause it's the most cohesive "universe" that I buy.

All my other stuff is alphabetical by title with some exceptions. BPRD is under "H" for Hellboy. Most of the stuff I read is stand alone series, so that makes the most sense to me. I do contemplate grouping stuff by author sometimes, though.

One wrench in the works is format size. Manga sized books get lost in the shuffle. Oversized books don't fit the shelves. Those are both grouped together in their own areas.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Embrace your inner superdork and order by week of release.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The only physical comic books I still own besides TPBs are the singles of Batwoman: Elegy, which are framed on my wall, and Generation X up until Bachalo leaves, which is on a shelf in my closet. So I guess do either one of those.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
edit: this isn't the derailed thread!

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I alphabetize by subject then descriptor so Avengers would include Avengers, ANAD, Dark, Great Lakes, Initiative, Mighty, New, Occupy, Secret, Uncanny, West Coast and Young.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Sort by adjective. One box labeled "Uncanny," another labeled "Invincible," another with "Totally Awesome," and so on.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just alphabetize by title, regardless of publisher. So Uncanny X-Men would be under "U," not "X."

But if books (especially collected editions) have weird numbering, or no numbering, or multiple series with the same titles, I'll shelve them in volume and chronological order. So my Daredevil TPBs are shelved:

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson, Vol. 1-3
Daredevil: Born Again (Miller)
Daredevil: The Man Without Fear (Miller)
Daredevil: a few random volumes that came out between Miller and Bendis
Daredevil Vol. 4-7, 9-13 (Bendis)
Daredevil by Brubaker (seven volumes that don't even have volume numbers, shelved in the order they came out)
Daredevil: Back in Black Vol. 1 (Soule)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've got DC, Marvel and Other Publishers, and within those I group alphabetically by title (more or less), and within those I group chronologically by runs (more or less). For example, Batman RIP is under DC-->Batman-->Morrison's.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Back when I was working at a book store I got in the habit of doing it marvel -> series a-z, chronological by release date -> DC -> repeat -> indies

But then I also had like for punisher specifically starting from year one to through the end of Ennis max including Nick fury max to form one cohesive story if that makes sense

Tbh now that I'm pretty much digital only, looking back I'm glad I don't have to deal with that kind of tedious crap anymore lol

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I have no order at all :getin:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Series title alphabetically, not divided by publisher. Although I'm far from consistent in how I treat descriptors -- I file Amazing Spider-Man under A, but Incredible Hulk is under H. It's just a case of "that's the way I've always done it, I know where stuff is."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

All of my trades are just on the bookshelf in an order that is aesthetically pleasing based on their height and widths. The actual floppies that I have are in paper bags labelled with the series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Oh, I have the New Avengers: Illuminati TPB shelved between New Avengers Vol. 7 (The Trust) and 8 (Secret Invasion, Vol. 1), since it fits best chronologically there, setting up Secret Invasion.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

All of my trades are just on the bookshelf in an order that is aesthetically pleasing based on their height and widths. The actual floppies that I have are in paper bags labelled with the series.

I sort mine chronologically by color. :catdrugs:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Our college library has a lot of comics, but it's aggravating as hell to try to follow any continuity, because they're sorted by primary author like all the other books.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've done `em all. My current system at home is just putting TPBs where they can fit on the different heights of shelves, when I used to collect floppies they were organized by title, when I used to work in a bookstore we did them by publisher then character (or if outside of Marvel and DC, by title), and when I used to downl---uh, I mean "collect pre-legal electronic versions" they were mostly in separate folders but the Spider-Man ones I meticulously ordered by release date or order of the story as I read them. I organized and renamed thirty goddamn years of Spider-Man comics in reading order.

Now thankfully I just do legit digital and I don't have to care about managing this stuff!

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I've got separate long boxes for Marvel, DC and indies, with the issues just divided by title, but the groups aren't in any particular order in the boxes. My TPBs are in a much looser configuration just based on the quantities I have of specific things. There's a handful of authors who I've got a lot of, so stuff by Alan Moore, Warren Ellis etc are all grouped together by author.

But probably the biggest quantity I have is Batman related stuff, so I put all my Batman TPBs in a rough story order. Starts with Year One, then a collection of golden age stories, then Year Two, Haunted Knight, Long Halloween, etc. After Gotham Central it transitions to Justice League, then Batman/Superman and finally the few Superman TPBs I've got before all of the Elsewords stuff which is at the end of the row.

It's worked out well that I don't give a poo poo at all about anything from New 52 on, so I haven't had to rework my system to incorporate them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

prefect posted:

I sort mine chronologically by color. :catdrugs:

I sort by ISBN for GNs, barcode for floppies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Organise by weight. You need a very sensitive scale, but different combinations of ink on the pages will give different issues different weights. Its the only mathematically precise way to organise them, anything else is subjective voodoo nonsense. You do have to keep them completely dust-free to preserve the filing system, but its worth it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JordanKai posted:

Hey BSS, I'm looking for some advice/others' perspective. My comic book collection is getting big enough that I need to start considering how to order them, but I'm not sure how. Right now I'm considering doing the following:

1) Order them based on publisher (DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, Humanoids, Boom)
2) Sub-order them per series alphabetically (Aqua Man, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman; for example)
3) Sub-sub-order the series chronologically (Moon Knight #1, Moon Knight #2, Marc Spector: Moon Knight, Moon Knight #3; for example)

But we all know comic book publishing can get topsy-turvy and things like crossovers, tie-ins and oddball specials also need to be taken into consideration. There's also an argument to be made for authors being a more worthwhile sorting metric than series names.

So my question is: how do you all have your comics sorted and what did you take into consideration when deciding on your sorting method?

I sort my collection autobiographically, I can tell you how I went from Next Wave to Casanova in one summer and if I want to re-read Daredevil: Born Again I have to remember I bought it as a gift in March of 2010 but never gave it away for personal reasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My collection is in the garbage because my relatives are extremely unreliable.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

My collection is in the garbage because my relatives are extremely unreliable.

Lurdiak's shifty, thieving cousin:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Last year, I priced out my late 80s to early 90s collection and realized that only 30-40 out of 2000 books were worth sweet gently caress all so I pulled those out and donated the rest to the neighbourhood disadvantaged youth association.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dillbag posted:

Last year, I priced out my late 80s to early 90s collection and realized that only 30-40 out of 2000 books were worth sweet gently caress all so I pulled those out and donated the rest to the neighbourhood disadvantaged youth association.

I have a long box of books I'd like to do this with, but I'm worried too many are PG-13/R.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I found some Little Free Libraries around me, that are basically large mailboxes with books inside. I'm going to throw some comics in them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lifg posted:

I found some Little Free Libraries around me, that are basically large mailboxes with books inside. I'm going to throw some comics in them.

Oh my lord, there are a bunch of those in the area around me right now. I should steal your idea.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

I have a long box of books I'd like to do this with, but I'm worried too many are PG-13/R.

I donate to teen/youth drop in centers.

I generally keep my stuff by titles but I usually wait until the pile up of unsorted stuff gets unmanageable before I sort it and file it. As for graphic novels I separated those into stuff I wanted to display publicly so people think I am smart, and then stuff that I keep on a book case in the spare room where no-one knows that I have too many Batman trades.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Dillbag posted:

I need to re-evaluate as well.

What's the go-to for price guides these days? Is over street still around? What's a good (free) price guide online?

Also, in the same vein, years ago there was some free site I used to catalog all of my books. It let you export an Xcel doc. I lost all that info. Anything similar our there?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Ferrule posted:

I need to re-evaluate as well.

What's the go-to for price guides these days? Is over street still around? What's a good (free) price guide online?

Also, in the same vein, years ago there was some free site I used to catalog all of my books. It let you export an Xcel doc. I lost all that info. Anything similar our there?

I use comicbookdb.com which has an export function. New books aren't always on there day of, which is kind of annoying, but other than that it gets the job done

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lamont Cranston posted:

I use comicbookdb.com which has an export function. New books aren't always on there day of, which is kind of annoying, but other than that it gets the job done

I also use comicbookdb.com. If something is missing, you can always add it to the database. It's all user created.

My friend uses Comic Collector, which is not free. I posted his comments on it in another thread recently.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434285&pagenumber=108&perpage=40#post468465110

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ferrule posted:

Go to ebay, search for what you're trying to sell, and then filter by Sold Listings so that you see the prices people have actually paid rather than asking prices which may never be met because they're too high.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

CapnAndy posted:

Go to ebay, search for what you're trying to sell, and then filter by Sold Listings so that you see the prices people have actually paid rather than asking prices which may never be met because they're too high.

Very much this. It doesn't matter what something is "worth", it matters what someone will pay for it.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Cool. Thanks. I know about comcibookdb so nice to hear it's been vetted (I've only used it to track down certain books/appearances).

And I'll double check eBay. The few I want to price I would never list at, say, an Overstreet value. Not that my books are in lovely shape but I always kind of low-ball my prices at, like, Fine, on account of the market and what the goddamn 90's did to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Thanks for the input everyone! And also thanks for making me feel like a doofus for still collecting physical releases. :ohdear: