Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I don't care for a lot of triple-A nonsense to be honest. Of the stuff released last year I'm only really interested in FFXV and I won't play that until it's on PC

The rest is just shooters and open world nonsense and that's just boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Most of your questions were literally just answered yesterday by the main man himself. This must be embarrassing for you.

I don't know the answer to any of your questions. Conclusion: you're stupid :v:

You're very close to legit but not quite, please yell more

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TrustmeImLegit posted:

A final word but thank you for reading and considering.

Nothing is ever "nailed down" completely when it's under development.

It's not even nailed down after initial development, because that's just the first version.

The only possible thing they could explain in such precise detail would be something that's already completely and utterly finished.

It's key to understand that things are always being developed - until they're actually developed.

If you seriously beleive what you just wrote, this either prove you have never, ever came near any serious project with a budjet over a few thousands or that you should never, ever be given charge of one.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

When we look at the progress over the last 2 years, we get an idea about the next 2 years.

Hey that's really good, I'ma drop that on reddit sometime

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't care for a lot of triple-A nonsense to be honest. Of the stuff released last year I'm only really interested in FFXV and I won't play that until it's on PC

The rest is just shooters and open world nonsense and that's just boring

Honestly I agree. Most AAA stuff isn't great. I'm thinking SC will be able to either redefine what it means to be AAA or just straight up call it the first AAAA game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

aleksendr posted:

If you seriously beleive what you just wrote, this either prove you have never, ever came near any serious project with a budjet over a few thousands or that you should never, ever be given charge of one.

Weeell the lead coder on a project once told me something was "nailed down" so I brought a crowbar to work and shoved it right up my anus

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
Ah yes, the fabled you don't get more information because you can't handle it argument. A classic to be sure.

You've also completed ignored the point that no one is saying they have to have every feature nailed down in its final complete form that it'll take upon commercial release. Our point is that all these things, many which were supposed to be included in patches last year, are clearly still in the brainstorming phase and haven't been worked on at all.

You can have all the PhD-level discussions you want in some obscure discord for people who've dumped way too much money in this project, but it doesn't change the fact that all the top guys at the company just put out a video clearly showing that most all of these major game mechanics haven't even been started on yet.

Show us your balls.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Honestly I agree. Most AAA stuff isn't great. I'm thinking SC will be able to either redefine what it means to be AAA or just straight up call it the first AAAA game.

I've had a lot more fun with Star Citizen than with any triple-AAA release post-Witcher 3

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I've had a lot more fun with Star Citizen than with any triple-AAA release post-Witcher 3

Same here to be honest its insane and SC is still in alpha.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Most of your questions were literally just answered yesterday by the main man himself. This must be embarrassing for you. When we look at the progress over the last 2 years, we get an idea about the next 2 years.

I guess time will tell v:shobon:v

The only meaningful question I can ask you is: how much time is too much for you?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Posts like this are frustrating.

The problem is that if they tell you how they plan to do it and it doesn't go exactly that way, this entire thread will have shitfits even more than usual. That's why they say that's how we'd like to it, that's what we're hoping to aim for. People really don't get how insanely complex, dynamic, and constantly changing game development is.

It is one of the most blatant real-life examples of "a well-laid plan never survives contact with the enemy unharmed/without having holes punched in it". You can lay a general plan; you can say, we want to do this, we think this will be fun, we hope to do this, but the actual day to day development, much less long-term layout, is changing constantly and messing with those plans. Especially on a game that is trying to do this much, that is this big, and is doing so many things that haven't been done at this scale, fidelity, ambition, etc. Iteration is constant, unpredictable, and necessary to get something good.

Most people outside of the industry don't seem to be able to understand, conceive, or deal with this reality, and it's part of why most games, especially of this scale, are not developed even remotely openly. Because everyone who isn't in the trenches can't handle how unpredictable, difficult, iterative, complex, and nonlinear it is.

Look at this: https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development

It's a kanban board for an early access video game. It lists every major issue and feature, details how the feature is planned to work, its progress and tells you when they're hoping to release it.

Nobody loses their poo poo about it, things get delayed and new things get prioritised but we have a really clear view of what they're working on and how things are going.

Now look at Star Citizen. Look at the self proclaimed "Most open development team ever". Not only do we have nothing even slightly resembling this sort of information, we literally don't have even the most basic design documents for fundamental features that have been planned for 4 or 5 years.

You literally can't point to a single article telling us how trade or the economy will work. You can't point to a single article about how mining will work or how piracy or ship boarding will work.

Almost every interesting feature of this game isn't just unreleased. It's not just that we've not had an update on how it's progressing. Every interesting feature is literally unplanned and completely opaque. The best you can find about anything this game will actually have that makes it unique is some handwaving bullshit from Chris Roberts about maybe this and maybe that but trust me it'll be awesome. Five loving years into development and most of the features are nothing but that.

So no, it's not about the fact that if they release information about their game then there will be a shitshow if it ends up changing. They're failing to release information that absolutely has to be set in stone at this point for the game to have any chance of release with those features - but they're not telling us about them. It's not a master plan, it's incompetence and idiots trying to make up excuses for incompetence.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 18, 2017

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

We watched the same video, but through a different lens. A large portion of this thread is literally impossible to please. You are just quite vocal. It doesn't matter one tiny bit what is shown, said, or played, you will always, always want more.

Unfortunately it's to the point of absurdity. You all complain so much about not getting enough detail or insight, but don't realize that the more detailed the information we get is, the less people understand it.

CR even shows an example of this cargo thing in a big demo reveal, but you'll see people on here complaining as if he literally said nothing whatsoever about cargo/cargo missions. It's honestly astounding and disappointing. I've seen people on here have poo poo explained to them in simple terms like that, but then ask how the gently caress it's done in-game. Like.. poo poo dude, do you want a programmer/designer/whatever the hell job-guy to literally sit down and show you how to use his 3-D modelling program, or how to use his scripting program? Sorry, but unless you went to college for that poo poo or learned it over time (which is maybe .05% of this thread), you're not going to know what the hell is going on anyways.

I just don't even get it man.

Well, you are dealing with the community that has formed around the position that CIG is not able to make the game they promised. There has been lots and lots ridicule and attack to and from the community of the opposite position and thus both positions are further entrenched in their belief. At this point, it's probably impossible for the egos involved to reverse themselves and see the other side without CIG releasing what they promised before the heat death of the universe. And I'm not saying egos like "big egos" but I mean it armchair-psychologically: those significantly involved have formed some part of their identity based on their side of this argument and have chosen their supporting principles appropriately (as in, developers leave games all the time vs no they don't). It takes major upheaval for people to reverse course once they've built an identity on something.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

It's a kanban board for an early access video game. It lists every major issue and feature, details how the feature is planned, details its progress and tells you when they're hoping to release it.

Nobody loses their poo poo about it, things get delayed and new things get prioritised but we have a really clear view of what they're working on and how things are going.

Now look at Star Citizen. Look at the self proclaimed "Most open development team ever". Not only do we have nothing even slightly resembling this sort of information, we literally don't have even the most basic design documents for fundamental features that have been planned for 4 or 5 years.

You literally can't point to a single article telling us how trade or the economy will work. You can't point to a single article about how mining will work or how piracy or ship boarding will work.

Almost every interesting feature of this game isn't just unreleased. It's not just that we've not had an update on how it's progressing. Every interesting feature is literally unplanned and completely opaque. The best you can find about anything this game will actually have that makes it unique is some handwaving bullshit from Chris Roberts about maybe this and maybe that but trust me it'll be awesome. Five loving years into development and most of the features are nothing but that.

So no, it's not about the fact that if they release information about their game then there will be a shitshow if it ends up changing. They're failing to release information that absolutely has to be set in stone at this point for the game to have any chance of release with those features - but they're not telling us about them. It's not a master plan, it's incompetence and idiots trying to make up excuses for incompetence.

What happened to those weekly CIG updates by the way? Were they supposed to shut them down when 2.6 was "finished" or did everybody just stop caring about it

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

What happened to those weekly CIG updates by the way? Were they supposed to shut them down when 2.6 was "finished" or did everybody just stop caring about it

They put out a newsletter last week. They're still holding beginning of year meetings and a new schedule will be put up this week or next.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Polish Avenger posted:

Well, you are dealing with the community that has formed around the position that CIG is not able to make the game they promised. There has been lots and lots ridicule and attack to and from the community of the opposite position and thus both positions are further entrenched in their belief. At this point, it's probably impossible for the egos involved to reverse themselves and see the other side without CIG releasing what they promised before the heat death of the universe. And I'm not saying egos like "big egos" but I mean it armchair-psychologically: those significantly involved have formed some part of their identity based on their side of this argument and have chosen their supporting principles appropriately (as in, developers leave games all the time vs no they don't). It takes major upheaval for people to reverse course once they've built an identity on something.

This is probably true. I know a lot of you are probably set in your ways but when SC releases I anticipate this being a hotbed of piracy and pvp activity which I want In on. In the meantime I think most people here can be reasonable and not get into hysterics over "scams" and other nonsense.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Have I played any of your AAA games?

Wrong question.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

When we look at the progress over the last 2 years, we get an idea about the next 2 years.

So, insignificant and laughable?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

the A's stand for alpha

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

It's a kanban board for an early access video game. It lists every major issue and feature, details how the feature is planned to work, details its progress and tells you when they're hoping to release it.

I honestly don't know how you can seriously compare SC with that. They are nothing alike in scope or goals. This is new territory.

When you are retreading old ground its easier to make predictions. No one communicates more volume wise than CIG hands down and frankly because of the nature of development things change.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I couldn't agree more!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
cripes...it's 3 and a half years since I first bought into this scam and over a year since I got all my poo poo out of it lol...how times fly...

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLoon posted:

cripes...it's 3 and a half years since I first bought into this scam and over a year since I got all my poo poo out of it lol...how times fly...

Its not too late to come back. Theres still some cool rewards to get.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Because it will make people go "AAAAAA this game is poo poo" ?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

hmm...

Hmm...!

HMM!!!!

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Hey guys I just want to casually let you all know I OC'd my 220W Piledriver to 5GHz with a custom $200 cooler, now I can chill on the 'net and tell you all about how I don't really care about CPU performance and am satisfied with 30fps :smuggo:

but that 760 gtx tho. the ram is DEFINITELY the bottleneck.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Its not too late to come back. Theres still some cool rewards to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIlnsP6AjP8

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
This thread has gotten weird.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I honestly don't know how you can seriously compare SC with that. They are nothing alike in scope or goals. This is new territory.

When you are retreading old ground its easier to make predictions. No one communicates more volume wise than CIG hands down and frankly because of the nature of development things change.

Too bad most of that "volume" is just nonsense handwaving and spaceship concept sales.

They're making a video game. There's no reason they can't have something similar to the subnautica trello where you can see what is being worked on, what features and bugs are a current priority in development. You can claim grand scope and amazing never-seen-before game mechanics, but that doesn't mean that they can't be discussed beyond a "We think that..." or "Maybe if.." context. If there are teams actually working on these features, then they must have some idea on what they're actually doing. This can easily be shared with the backers on a platform similar to subnautica's trello.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Posts like this are frustrating.

The problem is that if they tell you how they plan to do it and it doesn't go exactly that way, this entire thread will have shitfits even more than usual. That's why they say that's how we'd like to it, that's what we're hoping to aim for. People really don't get how insanely complex, dynamic, and constantly changing game development is.

It is one of the most blatant real-life examples of "a well-laid plan never survives contact with the enemy unharmed/without having holes punched in it". You can lay a general plan; you can say, we want to do this, we think this will be fun, we hope to do this, but the actual day to day development, much less long-term layout, is changing constantly and messing with those plans. Especially on a game that is trying to do this much, that is this big, and is doing so many things that haven't been done at this scale, fidelity, ambition, etc. Iteration is constant, unpredictable, and necessary to get something good.

Most people outside of the industry don't seem to be able to understand, conceive, or deal with this reality, and it's part of why most games, especially of this scale, are not developed even remotely openly. Because everyone who isn't in the trenches can't handle how unpredictable, difficult, iterative, complex, and nonlinear it is.

What separates a good software developer from a bad one is the ability to scope a project and deliver it on time.

I'm sorry you're a lovely software developer. Git Good, Lern-2-Project-Manage.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TrustmeImLegit posted:

No, they're not akin in terms of scope. Star Citizen has a much larger scope and a much larger team.

A small game like Subnautica could get away with not having very clear project management and design documentation, because their team is small and their game is much more simple.

Star Citizen cannot get away with not having this level of planning in the background. It is too god drat large for that. The only way they could possibly succeed is with very clear and structured planning.

So where the hell is it?

CIG communicates in volume like a loving lawnmower communicates in volume. A large volume of useless garbage is not "open development" and I seriously hope you felt awkward when you typed the word "volume" in your post because you wanted to type "quality" but you cannot.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Eldragon posted:

So 3.0 is the Jesus patch eh? When should we expect to see it?

Before the end of last year!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

MeLKoR posted:

Notes are being taken.

The Under- Notetaker strikes again.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
3.0 is old news.

The real Jesus patch is 4.0. Everything is going to really come together then and we'll start to see a flood of content.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

SelenicMartian posted:

So, before Sandi pulls the video...

Beautiful work

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Most of your questions were literally just answered yesterday by the main man himself. This must be embarrassing for you. When we look at the progress over the last 2 years, we get an idea about the next 2 years.

You actually had me go back and listen to the dulcet "emm" and "humm" and "ahh" of "the main man himself" again. You own me a half hour of my life back.

Listen to the explication. Listen very carefully. None of my questions are answered. You get a lot of "we think, the concept is, we want to, it would work kinda like" but never direct answer like : "On destruction of a ship, the owner of the ship submit the insurance claim and must pay the penality, no matter if online or offline and who was at the commands at the time. " instead we get a fuge about future anti theft mechanisms and the owner able to set up ships "Rights" about what can visitors do and dont on his rig, finally ending in how you can steal a ship and sell it to a chop shop.

Cant you see those answers are mutually exclusive ? You cant allow "rights" to the crew while allowing non-crew all access for purpose of piracy. The moment i want to steal and i'm alone on the ship (last to log off) i simply "un-crew" myself and go to town, your so presumed access rights mean gently caress all.

We both listened to the same vague explanation about how the ships would continue to exists as long as one player is onboard. I beleive you used your imagination and hope for the project to fill that vague answer with the desing concept you want for the finale game while i tried to get a real, "This is how it works" answer, because the devil is always in the loving details, not in the vague promises.

You feel satisfied, because ultimately you made up in your mind the answer you wanted to hear. I feel dissatisfied because i'm in the loving dark, without a hint about who pay what and how much if my Retaliator burst into flame halfway during a mission because the pilot player's cat jumped on the keyboard while he was taking a piss.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I trust them. They seem legit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TrustmeImLegit posted:

For example, the multi-crew tech that Chris specifically mentions will be in 3.0.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Nothing is ever "nailed down" completely when it's under development.

Which is it?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So in previous years when when was the earliest ship sale in a new year ?

I anticipate we will see one very shortly

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

You should know better than to engage.

You should probate yourself.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I just hope to cripes someone at their accounting dept. (if the numbskulls even have any) keeps a ledger with their actual income + expenses tallied and that it gets released into the wild when this entire shitshow is over. I'd pour over it so loving hard, to compare with the major events we all know and love lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Star Citizen development is a circle

these guys

e :