Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sillybones posted:

I'm so sorry. I have no idea.

This needs to be the side art for /r/starcitizen_refunds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CrazyLoon posted:

I just hope to cripes someone at their accounting dept. (if the numbskulls even have any) keeps a ledger with their actual income + expenses tallied and that it gets released into the wild when this entire shitshow is over. I'd pour over it so loving hard, to compare with the major events we all know and love lol.

Oh it will end up in the public domain for backers. I can guarantee it.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Star Citizen development is a circle? More like a mobuus strip of refactoring.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

D_Smart posted:

I think this is 100% guaranteed, if this ever happens to get in court, since people funded it, everything should go back to the people.
I gotta admit, even I would love to see all the assets they have made over the years.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

we have PhD level discussions about this every single day with one of the most informed high level backer groups I've had the pleasure to know.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmao that new netcode's coming along fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc1NP7tUO7g

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Beet Wagon posted:

okay that poo poo was awesome.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol It's never going to court and the financials will never be public. This is how it's going to end: They will run out of money, Chris will say "Welp we tried but it was just too ambitious and we faced constant antagonism from the (haters/media/big publishing), sorry." and then he and Sandi ride off into the sunset in matching limited edition 911s.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

:gary::derp::yarg:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Abongination posted:

Much like Star Citizen, Surface's latest gimmick could have been so much more.

GBS ruins everything.

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Has SurfaceDetail posted his balls on his new account yet or is he holding off cause idiots are still falling for it?

No scrote sighted as yet, but the forensic scrote-identifying team stands by.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

aleksendr posted:

You actually had me go back and listen to the dulcet "emm" and "humm" and "ahh" of "the main man himself" again. You own me a half hour of my life back.

Listen to the explication. Listen very carefully. None of my questions are answered. You get a lot of "we think, the concept is, we want to, it would work kinda like" but never direct answer like : "On destruction of a ship, the owner of the ship submit the insurance claim and must pay the penality, no matter if online or offline and who was at the commands at the time. " instead we get a fuge about future anti theft mechanisms and the owner able to set up ships "Rights" about what can visitors do and dont on his rig, finally ending in how you can steal a ship and sell it to a chop shop.

Cant you see those answers are mutually exclusive ? You cant allow "rights" to the crew while allowing non-crew all access for purpose of piracy. The moment i want to steal and i'm alone on the ship (last to log off) i simply "un-crew" myself and go to town, your so presumed access rights mean gently caress all.

We both listened to the same vague explanation about how the ships would continue to exists as long as one player is onboard. I beleive you used your imagination and hope for the project to fill that vague answer with the desing concept you want for the finale game while i tried to get a real, "This is how it works" answer, because the devil is always in the loving details, not in the vague promises.

You feel satisfied, because ultimately you made up in your mind the answer you wanted to hear. I feel dissatisfied because i'm in the loving dark, without a hint about who pay what and how much if my Retaliator burst into flame halfway during a mission because the pilot player's cat jumped on the keyboard while he was taking a piss.
Indeed.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to the top devs throw around some knowledge. Its clear you had made up your mind before you started so unfortunately you are biased and were unable to even begin comprehending some of the concepts they were discussing. My cousin does this too when they don't understand their homework and they just get more and more upset as you try to explain.

Also, sir this is a McDonald's drivethru.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

100% guaranteed legal action? Put a sock in it D.Rekt unless you have some proof.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

By the way, PhD-level discussions go like this:

"Ugh, drat referees aren't buying my argument so now I have to rewrite the whole section."
"I feel you. The grant board rejected my case selection, so now it's all teaching the rest of the semester."
"I know the..."
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Where did my reference db go?! Not nowwww [incoherent sputtering and crying]"
"So... lunch?"

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Tophat posted:

Star Citizen development is a circle? More like a mobuus strip of refactoring.

That's Agile dev for you. Constant iterations. Basic software dev honestly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CrazyLoon posted:

I just hope to cripes someone at their accounting dept. (if the numbskulls even have any) keeps a ledger with their actual income + expenses tallied and that it gets released into the wild when this entire shitshow is over. I'd pour over it so loving hard, to compare with the major events we all know and love lol.

Oh they have a great accounting department. I bet it is larger than the QA department.

The problem is, between the 14 different corps that exist...who knows what is happening even if you got the "passed around" financials. When I say passed around, I mean divisional or departmental statements that are consolidated.

Conceivably, all CIG/RSI has to do would present a balance sheet and a P&L statement that basically rolls up all income and expense accounts to fulfill their obligation of the original ToS. There wouldn't be much dirt exposed in there in regards to specific items. But it would demonstrate how much they are losing overall. And, would give us untold hours of comedy speculating on which line item meant.

In my opinion (after working for several) the CFO probably couldn't sleep at night and bailed due to ethic violations. Reason being they have to sign off of poo poo and as an officer could be held culpable.

What a great not game Star Citizen is.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Pretty sure agile dev requires milestones and frequent releases

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

In my opinion (after working for several) the CFO probably couldn't sleep at night and bailed due to ethic violations. Reason being they have to sign off of poo poo and as an officer could be held culpable.

Or he just moved on. Jesus.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

No, that's not how agile — or indeed any competent software development — works. If you do it right, you actually close in on a target rather than go around in circles, and especially not in topologically exotic ones.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 18, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Triggered. Agile is about increasing visibility and apportioning a given project into tasks that can be worked on. Constant Iteration is the methodology that constantly deploys. SC doesn't use CI and barely seems to understand agile.

And you made me reply to you, so well done you rear end. Get your scrote out.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hav posted:

Triggered. Agile is about increasing visibility and apportioning a given project into tasks that can be worked on. Constant Iteration is the methodology that constantly deploys. SC doesn't use CI and barely seems to understand agile.

And you made me reply to you, so well done you rear end. Get your scrote out.

SC is clearly Agile. We get constant updates, buildwise and information wise on a near daily basis. A project like SC is going to take a long time to iterate to the final product to be sure. But to say this isn't Agile is really ignorant about what is being released on this project on a regular basis.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I still wait for the first imgur link he'll post.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Posts like this are frustrating.

The problem is that if they tell you how they plan to do it and it doesn't go exactly that way, this entire thread will have shitfits even more than usual. That's why they say that's how we'd like to it, that's what we're hoping to aim for. People really don't get how insanely complex, dynamic, and constantly changing game development is.

It is one of the most blatant real-life examples of "a well-laid plan never survives contact with the enemy unharmed/without having holes punched in it". You can lay a general plan; you can say, we want to do this, we think this will be fun, we hope to do this, but the actual day to day development, much less long-term layout, is changing constantly and messing with those plans. Especially on a game that is trying to do this much, that is this big, and is doing so many things that haven't been done at this scale, fidelity, ambition, etc. Iteration is constant, unpredictable, and necessary to get something good.

Most people outside of the industry don't seem to be able to understand, conceive, or deal with this reality, and it's part of why most games, especially of this scale, are not developed even remotely openly. Because everyone who isn't in the trenches can't handle how unpredictable, difficult, iterative, complex, and nonlinear it is.

This isn't a question of "they plan to do it and it doesn't go exactly that way". They "plan to do it" and then nothing even remotely close to what they plan actually happens. This has been true of nearly ever aspect of this project, from major release dates (Squadron 42 in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017?) to the nature of scope, schedule, and funding ("full functionality sooner rather than later" to ""when the scope changes, the amount of time it will take to deliver all the features naturally increases"). They plan on LTI being limited to early backers until they make it available to everyone with new concept sales. They plan on livestreams starting on time and then they never do. They planned on Star Marine (multiple times), they planned on using Illfonic's work (whoops), they planned on all the various ships (until they're repeatedly refactored), they planned on Star Marine being "weeks, not months away", they planned on countless things that simply don't happen. That's not game development, that's throwing poo poo against a wall and seeing what sticks.

My background is a technical field. I spend a lot of time working on things that nobody has ever done before, iterating on design concepts, and developing technical solutions to extremely difficult problems. I am very much aware of how difficult it is to maintain a schedule when there's uncertainty. I am not a game developer, but I can imagine the combination of pushing a technical envelope and the art of making something that's actually fun (as opposed to merely functional) compounds that difficulty. That said game development is a profession and part of that competency is being able to accurately estimate workload and schedule. If the schedule is not met then there's a problem, either with the projection, the project management, or the scope of the game. It's not okay that CIG repeatedly says they expect one thing and then fail to have it happen, and they certainly shouldn't be rewarded for their efforts. Plenty of actual game developers have come into this very thread and lambasted CIG for their terrible practices.

A constantly shifting scope is not a good thing. Look up the documentary on DOOM 2016, or listen to the commentary of developers like Mitch Gitelman (Harebrained Schemes, makers of Shadowrun and now working on BATTLETECH), Jake Solomon (X-COM and X-COM 2), Rob Irving (formerly of CIG now working at Descendent Studios), or our own Martin Anward (Game Director for Stellaris and The Wiz here on SA). All of them talk about having extremely tight, extremely focused visions and how difficult it is to say no to a good idea. Mitch put it perfectly; "Focus equals quality". In DOOM they talk about how "push forward gaming" became one of the defining mantras of the game; everything needed to be about pushing the player forward and maintaining the action. Star Citizen has no mantra, it has no focus, it has no vision. It's a muddled pile of half-formed ideas and hand-waved wishes that's constantly changing whenever new technology shows up or a new game does something better. Chris himself even admitted that they couldn't quantify what the expanding scope actually meant, which is why they stopped providing stretch goals. In fact things are so hosed that they can't even provide the features that were originally promised. Drop-in drop-out co-op is removed from Squadron 42. Private servers will not be part of release, and development of private servers and modding will be "literally the last thing we do" according to Jared. Not every ship will be available when the game is released, nor will there be 100 solar systems. The only thing CIG has committed to is reducing scope, not increasing it. And now they've admitted they don't even have enough money to deliver it.

You're funding a fraud. CIG lacks the professional discipline necessary to even deliver the original scope of the game, let alone this massive clusterfuck of ambition that backers are expecting. You see their constant failures as natural signs of game development, even though they're the only ones who control scope and schedule and have had five years to understand the problems and get a sense of where things are. There is nothing normal about what they're doing, and they absolutely deserve to be mocked for their failings. The problem is that the people who should be criticizing them are you, not us.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What do you think Ben's office chair smells like?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

SC is clearly Agile. We get constant updates, buildwise and information wise on a near daily basis.

That doesn't make it agile, and the updates are pretty much completely devoid of actual information. Daily updates is one of those anti-patterns agile tries to avoid.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TrustmeImLegit posted:

SC is clearly Agile. We get constant updates, buildwise and information wise on a near daily basis. A project like SC is going to take a long time to iterate to the final product to be sure. But to say this isn't Agile is really ignorant about what is being released on this project on a regular basis.

The only thing CIG releases on a regular basis is dreams and ship sales.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

lol It's never going to court and the financials will never be public. This is how it's going to end: They will run out of money, Chris will say "Welp we tried but it was just too ambitious and we faced constant antagonism from the (haters/media/big publishing), sorry." and then he and Sandi ride off into the sunset in matching limited edition 911s.

I see you haven't met a certain warlord that will prevent that :smug:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This isn't a question of "they plan to do it and it doesn't go exactly that way". They "plan to do it" and then nothing even remotely close to what they plan actually happens. This has been true of nearly ever aspect of this project, from major release dates (Squadron 42 in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017?) to the nature of scope, schedule, and funding ("full functionality sooner rather than later" to ""when the scope changes, the amount of time it will take to deliver all the features naturally increases"). They plan on LTI being limited to early backers until they make it available to everyone with new concept sales. They plan on livestreams starting on time and then they never do. They planned on Star Marine (multiple times), they planned on using Illfonic's work (whoops), they planned on all the various ships (until they're repeatedly refactored), they planned on Star Marine being "weeks, not months away", they planned on countless things that simply don't happen. That's not game development, that's throwing poo poo against a wall and seeing what sticks.

My background is a technical field. I spend a lot of time working on things that nobody has ever done before, iterating on design concepts, and developing technical solutions to extremely difficult problems. I am very much aware of how difficult it is to maintain a schedule when there's uncertainty. I am not a game developer, but I can imagine the combination of pushing a technical envelope and the art of making something that's actually fun (as opposed to merely functional) compounds that difficulty. That said game development is a profession and part of that competency is being able to accurately estimate workload and schedule. If the schedule is not met then there's a problem, either with the projection, the project management, or the scope of the game. It's not okay that CIG repeatedly says they expect one thing and then fail to have it happen, and they certainly shouldn't be rewarded for their efforts. Plenty of actual game developers have come into this very thread and lambasted CIG for their terrible practices.

A constantly shifting scope is not a good thing. Look up the documentary on DOOM 2016, or listen to the commentary of developers like Mitch Gitelman (Harebrained Schemes, makers of Shadowrun and now working on BATTLETECH), Jake Solomon (X-COM and X-COM 2), Rob Irving (formerly of CIG now working at Descendent Studios), or our own Martin Anward (Game Director for Stellaris and The Wiz here on SA). All of them talk about having extremely tight, extremely focused visions and how difficult it is to say no to a good idea. Mitch put it perfectly; "Focus equals quality". In DOOM they talk about how "push forward gaming" became one of the defining mantras of the game; everything needed to be about pushing the player forward and maintaining the action. Star Citizen has no mantra, it has no focus, it has no vision. It's a muddled pile of half-formed ideas and hand-waved wishes that's constantly changing whenever new technology shows up or a new game does something better. Chris himself even admitted that they couldn't quantify what the expanding scope actually meant, which is why they stopped providing stretch goals. In fact things are so hosed that they can't even provide the features that were originally promised. Drop-in drop-out co-op is removed from Squadron 42. Private servers will not be part of release, and development of private servers and modding will be "literally the last thing we do" according to Jared. Not every ship will be available when the game is released, nor will there be 100 solar systems. The only thing CIG has committed to is reducing scope, not increasing it. And now they've admitted they don't even have enough money to deliver it.

You're funding a fraud. CIG lacks the professional discipline necessary to even deliver the original scope of the game, let alone this massive clusterfuck of ambition that backers are expecting. You see their constant failures as natural signs of game development, even though they're the only ones who control scope and schedule and have had five years to understand the problems and get a sense of where things are. There is nothing normal about what they're doing, and they absolutely deserve to be mocked for their failings. The problem is that the people who should be criticizing them are you, not us.

That's honestly just your uninformed opinion. You've clearly had a bad customer experience with CIG and its coloring your """"analysis"""" of the project. Look at what you posted, it clearly assumes so many things including what the motives of CIG are and whether or not we are in a dunkin donuts drivethrough. I'll try to parse through the rest of it but I can see you called Chris a fraud. Something so laughably and demonstrably wrong I won't even dignify it with a rebuttal. 300+ employees man.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Or he just moved on. Jesus.

Yeah, you are right. Buried next to Jimmy Hoffa.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They put out a newsletter last week. They're still holding beginning of year meetings and a new schedule will be put up this week or next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrr_VVtyUA8

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
You dumb arseholes are so easy to troll I'm actually embarrassed.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence-based_Scheduling

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

MODS! Which one of you bastards brought this :reddit: sperg in here? Can you probate this insufferable twat until he stops talking in circles?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

AP posted:

We just haven't had anything new and shiny to play with since the holiday stream shitshow.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I can see you called Chris a fraud. Something so laughably and demonstrably wrong I won't even dignify it with a rebuttal. 300+ employees man.

How is it demonstrated?
Have you heard of Andrew Fastow?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

That doesn't make it agile, and the updates are pretty much completely devoid of actual information. Daily updates is one of those anti-patterns agile tries to avoid.

Progress is usually better understood through seeing the scrum board, like this;

https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

Each card is a task and they're using the lanes to indicate the release that they're shooting for. it's not a customer facing tool that only provides surface detail, but something that allows visibility into the development of the game in the near, mid and longterm. This is pretty much the gold standard of transparency in development. The light purges all doubt.

SC uses updates to create buzz, and as such they're a marketing tool, because it's a Ponzi scheme that is surviving on the new money to allow the things that the old money bought to be built. Utterly Flarpy.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

JugbandDude posted:

I see you haven't met a certain warlord that will prevent that :smug:

This guy?

D_Smart posted:

You guys think you're pissed now? Well then, better get ready for my upcoming blog because it's got some things that nobody saw coming, and which I can 100% guarantee will lead to legal action that will subsequently *force CIG to produce the promised financial accounting for the project - something that most of you are too scared to see happen.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

MODS! Which one of you bastards brought this :reddit: sperg in here? Can you probate this insufferable twat until he stops talking in circles?

Hey, now, first amendment. This isn't Nazi Germany. Or is it 'Don'?

I'm teasing, use your profile filter and don't be weak like me.

AP posted:

The jews did 9/11

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

AP posted:

Its a "slow and snow" day over here, not even a 1/4 of the staff showed up. Need to entertain myself somehow so making noise with "Troll 101" is better than nothing.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

That's honestly just your uninformed opinion. You've clearly had a bad customer experience with CIG and its coloring your """"analysis"""" of the project. Look at what you posted, it clearly assumes so many things including what the motives of CIG are and whether or not we are in a dunkin donuts drivethrough. I'll try to parse through the rest of it but I can see you called Chris a fraud. Something so laughably and demonstrably wrong I won't even dignify it with a rebuttal. 300+ employees man.

Hey that's some very good MoMA, almost like the real thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
December 13, 2014

August 14, 2016