Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Skip My Posts posted:

thats because he's more intelligent than you are and it bothers you

It's insane to me how much people on the internet idolize Norm Macdonald. He's well-read but he's not much smarter than the average comedian. Read his Bob Dylan story from twitter, it sounds like undergrad aping of Cormac McCarthy. Whenever he "gets real" he uses a lot of embarrassing, grandiose literary flourishes and you can see why he sticks to his plainspoken style most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Norm can be a sanctimonious bore but he mostly keeps it to twitter and other venues that are easy to ignore so who gives a poo poo.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Past Tense Ragu posted:

It's insane to me how much people on the internet idolize Norm Macdonald. He's well-read but he's not much smarter than the average comedian. Read his Bob Dylan story from twitter, it sounds like undergrad aping of Cormac McCarthy. Whenever he "gets real" he uses a lot of embarrassing, grandiose literary flourishes and you can see why he sticks to his plainspoken style most of the time.

He's no IT guru, that's for sure

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Jerome Louis posted:

He's no IT guru, that's for sure

Were you groping for a putdown and you only came up with my avatar?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I really like norm, but reading comments and people responding to him on twitter is the saddest most frustrating thing in life. it's just a bunch of goddamn references to bits he's done twenty years ago and that have no relevance to the subjects he talks about. It's got to be really depressing to him.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Were you groping for a putdown and you only came up with my avatar?

He's no bird using a computer that's for sure

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Past Tense Ragu posted:

I don't think you've ever read Cormac McCarthy, Norm's book, the Bob Dylan story or anything else for that matter. Norm's writing lacks pretension, McCarthy's style is intentionally florid. All you need to do is listen to an interview, an earnest one (one of the handful to exist) to know that he is much smarter than your average comedian. I don't know what literary flourishes you're alluding to, but the only times I've heard him use big words awkwardly is when he's doing so deliberately (zeitgeist).

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Odddzy posted:

I really like norm, but reading comments and people responding to him on twitter is the saddest most frustrating thing in life. it's just a bunch of goddamn references to bits he's done twenty years ago and that have no relevance to the subjects he talks about. It's got to be really depressing to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QZmmLaX90Q

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

hog fat posted:

I don't think you've ever read Cormac McCarthy, Norm's book, the Bob Dylan story or anything else for that matter. Norm's writing lacks pretension, McCarthy's style is intentionally florid. All you need to do is listen to an interview, an earnest one (one of the handful to exist) to know that he is much smarter than your average comedian. I don't know what literary flourishes you're alluding to, but the only times I've heard him use big words awkwardly is when he's doing so deliberately (zeitgeist).

I have read almost all of McCarthy but what serious reader hasn't? He's an entry-level author and his style is so easily copied that everybody who reads him writes like him for a week.

"When Bob Dylan speaks, his words seem chosen long ago, his sentences are spare, and he looks right at you, and his countenance is stone."

This appears to me to be a direct lift of McCarthy's biblical style of stringing together clause after clause with the word "and," except it's not done well. Too many commas and the word "countenance" is awkwardly deployed (wouldn't "face" suffice?). This is the sentence of an avid reader but a pretentious writer. I think Norm Macdonald is one of the funniest people alive but his deification is so embarrassing. I suspect his fans think being a degenerate gambler and recluse is actually cool and a more authentic way of living in the world. I don't want to beat up on him or his fans any further, I just can't stand this aggressive defense of him for everything he says.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Past Tense Ragu posted:

I have read almost all of McCarthy but what serious reader hasn't? He's an entry-level author and his style is so easily copied that everybody who reads him writes like him for a week.

"When Bob Dylan speaks, his words seem chosen long ago, his sentences are spare, and he looks right at you, and his countenance is stone."

This appears to me to be a direct lift of McCarthy's biblical style of stringing together clause after clause with the word "and," except it's not done well. Too many commas and the word "countenance" is awkwardly deployed (wouldn't "face" suffice?). This is the sentence of an avid reader but a pretentious writer. I think Norm Macdonald is one of the funniest people alive but his deification is so embarrassing. I suspect his fans think being a degenerate gambler and recluse is actually cool and a more authentic way of living in the world. I don't want to beat up on him or his fans any further, I just can't stand this aggressive defense of him for everything he says.

Who cares retard

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Past Tense Ragu posted:

This is incredible

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

All this time I thought I liked Norm Macdonald because of his acerbic wit and willingness to say the impolite things nobody wants to say for a laugh. But it's actually because he writes in a certain style.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm actually the current Norm MacDonald Chair of Standup Studies at the University of Canada eh

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Past Tense Ragu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1SojKfgNI

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Gonna have to agree with this

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Past Tense Ragu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KQDIkD_BFQ

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

I'm getting in on the ground floor on this one.

I was here to read it

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Past Tense Ragu posted:

This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read these forums.

Norm is cool because he's thoughtful.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
gently caress you Past Tense Ragu for posting that dumb poo poo and making people read it

also gently caress you norm where's the new episodes? where are they

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
gently caress Norm McCarthy

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Close thise thread

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
please do not close this thread

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Back on topic: Looking at the way Norm is back into sports and gambling on twitter I can only hope he's broke again soon and the podcast comes back for another partial season until he digs himself out of debt.

E: don't close thread

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I like Norm's stand up, his writing, and his jokes. I do not think he is a good role model. I would never ask for his opinion or discuss with him religion/spirituality. gently caress I wouldn't even talk to him about loving sports. close it

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Normstradamus is the only sports news I follow.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

An Apple A Gay posted:

I like Norm's stand up, his writing, and his jokes. I do not think he is a good role model. I would never ask for his opinion or discuss with him religion/spirituality. gently caress I wouldn't even talk to him about loving sports. close it

Yeah but what if the podcast starts ag-

Close it

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ol yeller posted:

Who cares retard

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Atheists should ask themselves "What would Norm do?" We might be funnier then.

Leave the thread open, I like when people share links to funny Norm material.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There were pictures of Norm and Letterman on the set

THERE WERE PICTURES

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anyway I choose to blame that kid who killed himself in Norm's house for this delay

What a jerk

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Thid thread is fun, very very slow but it's nice to have other fans of good comedy around and see their suggestions.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I was on a Norm on YouTube wormhole and I watched this for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztszNnfgwrw&t=276s

He knew, yeah? Or am I reading too much into this, because it seems like you wouldn't say that about a normal person. I know I've heard from lots of comedians that it was a known thing but without proof, but this is the earliest video I've seen about it.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 21, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ariza posted:

He knew, yeah? Or am I reading too much into this, because it seems like you wouldn't say that about a normal person. I know I've heard from lots of comedians that it was a known thing but without proof, but this is the earliest video I've seen about it.

He was kinda obsessed about Bill Clinton and a supposed hit he put out on a dude back in Arkansas. No idea about the backstory but most Weekend Update bits he did on the subject are online. No idea about the Bill hit but as some youtube commentary said, when they brought out a picture of GW with Norm on it, he took the gloves off and dished it out in their direction a little.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Pretty sure Ariza was talking about Cosby.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I am seeing Norm's special taping in Boston next week. I bet he got fat again, but hell, so did I.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ariza posted:

Public allegations started that year:

http://nypost.com/2000/03/02/actress-bombshell-cos-rubbed-me-the-wrong-way/

It only gained steam recently after Hannibal Buress brought it up in his act and it went viral.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Keith Raza opened for norm yesterday so thats the level of hope this rumor operates on

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 21, 2017

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
Michael Huettner and Dagwood MacDonald had a YouTube channel a couple of years back that Norm heavily promoted on Twitter.

Here's Michael and Devery in a sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSA5rUzhzcc

hog fat fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Is that the friend that OD'd?

• Locked thread