Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

What would Gex 2017 even be about? A Gecko that really likes Youtube videos?

He would become the hero the Alt-Right need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys, we're forgetting about Glover.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

rabidsquid posted:

the greatest game of all time...incredible

I don't even think Mario 64 is in competition for best Mario game...much less best game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

multiple of the best games of all time...outstanding!!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't even think Mario 64 is in competition for best Mario game...much less best game.

Super Mario 64 blew my god drat mind at 10 years old in a way a video game never will ever again. It is amazing how well they made the transition from 2D to 3D, effectively creating an open world Mario game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

oh goodness, oh my
https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/821843453738819585

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kirios posted:

Guys, we're forgetting about Glover.

gently caress Glover

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kirios posted:

Super Mario 64 blew my god drat mind at 10 years old in a way a video game never will ever again. It is amazing how well they made the transition from 2D to 3D, effectively creating an open world Mario game.

Well I was 14 and all I saw was endless fog and 2D trees that rotated with the camera. :colbert:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in nioh, developer placed revenants are alive and being murdered by enemies your first time through the level

a dude barely halfway into the gmae is at level 100 and killing yokai in like 2 hits so now i feel like a dumbass chipping away at beta monsters at level like 15 or whatever

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 18, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know this is slightly off topic, but are any of the DS3 clones worth a poo poo? I bought a used PS3 to play Nier but the controller that came with it is pretty worn out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do they not include previous Persona MC's main personas in future entries or something?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

in nioh, developer placed revenants are alive and being murdered by enemies your first time through the level

a dude barely halfway into the gmae is at level 100 and killing yokai in like 2 hits so now i feel like a dumbass chipping away at beta monsters at level like 15 or whatever

Are there leaked copies being streamed or something?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Genocyber posted:

Are there leaked copies being streamed or something?

the video posted today itt

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jimbot posted:

Do they not include previous Persona MC's main personas in future entries or something?

They're generally unique to them, yes.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

fadam posted:

I know this is slightly off topic, but are any of the DS3 clones worth a poo poo? I bought a used PS3 to play Nier but the controller that came with it is pretty worn out.

It's worth it just to get a proper ds3, I'm sure there's a sale somewhere.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Kirios posted:

Mario 64 was impressive for its time, because it was the first truly 3D world many people experienced. The gameplay though was outshined by plenty of PS1 games, and by today's standards M64 is hot garbage. All the 2D Marios before it still hold up though, except for the original Mario Bros, and Mario World is probably the best Mario

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Original Mario Bros rules, though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I played it a bunch as a kid but World is kinda bland.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Pirate Captain posted:

Mario 64 was impressive for its time, because it was the first truly 3D world many people experienced. The gameplay though was outshined by plenty of PS1 games, and by today's standards M64 is hot garbage. All the 2D Marios before it still hold up though, except for the original Mario Bros, and Mario World is probably the best Mario

I strongly disagree. SM64 has aged a bit, but I think it's aged quite well. It controls very nicely and though the camera could stand to be better it's not complete garbage which isn't something guaranteed even today.

I do agree that SMW is the best Mario, though.

Real hurthling! posted:

the video posted today itt

Oh I somehow missed that one.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

does yoshis island count as a mario game because that one was fuckin dope

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Motto posted:

I played it a bunch as a kid but World is kinda bland.

It's nice to have a save feature, but it really feels like a step down from SMB3 in a lot of ways. By no means a bad game.

rabidsquid posted:

does yoshis island count as a mario game because that one was fuckin dope

Yes.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 19, 2017

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Pirate Captain posted:

I want to explain to you why you're absolutely wrong, but first, we need to talk about parallel universes.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Original Mario Bros rules, though.

The one that's just one screen? It's ok but not by today's standards. Super Mario Bros holds up today, but it's lifted by nostalgia. Still a good game but it wouldn't have the same mass appeal if it wasn't a Mario game. I think World still would because it's fantastic by any measure.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Genocyber posted:

I strongly disagree. SM64 has aged a bit, but I think it's aged quite well. It controls very nicely and though the camera could stand to be better it's not complete garbage which isn't something guaranteed even today.

I do agree that SMW is the best Mario, though.

The camera alone makes it unplayable for me, YMMV. Also the levels are too small and having to play them over and over to unlock stuff is kind of outdated. Yes, there are still games that do this but they usually mix things up on repeat visits. I don't like the controls, especially in conjunction with the camera issues but that's a matter of opinion.

IMO the real measure of a retro game is whether it would still be played today if you take the main characters out and replace them with something completely different while changing nothing out. Much like Mario Bros, I don't think people would still be playing M64 today if it weren't a Mario game. Stuff like Mario Kart, Super Metroid, Smash Brothers, etc are super fun by any measure and would likely be popular with different characters, but it's hard to see M64 in that category.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Here is a list of Mario games that are better than Mario 64.

SMB
SMB2
SMB3
SMW
SMAS
SMW2
PM
SPM
SMG
SMG2
NSMBw
NSMBu
SM3DW
SMM

and now super mario odyssey

keldon
May 14, 2009
My DS4 sticks are all falling apart and it's time to replace them. Is there a consensus on the best replacements to get? I see a bunch on Amazon, some rubber, some aluminum, but all seem to have mixed reviews. Is there a clear standout for one that doesn't suck and won't fall apart again?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i bought kontrol freaks stick cappers, unless your sticks are literally going to break off the controller i think they're fine. i actually got some of the stick extenders for better FPS aiming and they're pretty decent for that, but the CQC is just a cap with a grip on it.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

keldon posted:

My DS4 sticks are all falling apart and it's time to replace them. Is there a consensus on the best replacements to get? I see a bunch on Amazon, some rubber, some aluminum, but all seem to have mixed reviews. Is there a clear standout for one that doesn't suck and won't fall apart again?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NSLGW2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_ky.Fyb9H2EKG5

I bought these last year and they work great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hmm noticed some eBay sellers have the platinum headset new for $130-ish

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122315304654

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mario 64 should get maybe a little credit for being the first good 3D platformer ever? That's not a small feat. It came up with so many control innovations that we take for granted now. Yeah the camera controls suck these days, but it had camera controls. It singlehandedly proved why analog sticks are required for 3D games. I vividly remember running around in the starting area in front of Peach's Castle and being amazed at how Mario controlled.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

acksplode posted:

Mario 64 should get maybe a little credit for being the first good 3D platformer ever? That's not a small feat. It came up with so many control innovations that we take for granted now. Yeah the camera controls suck these days, but it had camera controls. It singlehandedly proved why analog sticks are required for 3D games. I vividly remember running around in the starting area in front of Peach's Castle and being amazed at how Mario controlled.

Yep, just like Halo and console FPSes. Doesn't seem like much now because everyone since has copied it. I never had an n64 but just seeing/playing it in stores blew me away.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
We need a list of all the classics..

...but that are still playable these days. 2D games age pretty well. But, yeah. 3D stuff like Crash look terrible.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I never had an n64 but just seeing/playing it in stores blew me away.

I got an N64 for Christmas the year it was released, along with one game, yeah that's right baby you guessed it: Killer Instinct. I tried to hide my disappointment because I was surprised to even get an N64, but somehow my mom got the message, and a couple weeks later she was able to track down a copy of Mario 64 (that poo poo was hard to find at launch) and surprised me with it. That was an extremely good as hell day. <3 u mom

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why is our thread icon poo poo now 🤔

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Here's another hot take for you gents, other than Mario 64 being the best.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is better than World.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What ps1 games are better than Mario 64, pray tell

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

Gex: Enter the Gecko

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Shadow225 posted:

Yeah we were playing poo poo like Jumping Flash, which was visually impressive just for being 3d but awful.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

PS1's strength was certainly not its platformers. Come on, even Banjo Kazooie is better than all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shadow225 posted:

Twisted Metal 2