Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kirios posted:

Here's another hot take for you gents, other than Mario 64 being the best.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is better than World.

SMB3 and SMW are both good and are my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All these Playstation games and people taking about mario games from 59 years ago smdh

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mario is my favorite psp game

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

mario is my favorite psp game

same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffshDkF7A_E&t=382s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

acksplode posted:

Mario 64 should get maybe a little credit for being the first good 3D platformer ever? That's not a small feat. It came up with so many control innovations that we take for granted now. Yeah the camera controls suck these days, but it had camera controls. It singlehandedly proved why analog sticks are required for 3D games. I vividly remember running around in the starting area in front of Peach's Castle and being amazed at how Mario controlled.

N64 Mario is still one of the best characters to control. There are very few games where you can just run around (literally) doing absolutely nothing and it's still fun. His mix of jumps and how they work with your momentum and direction was genius.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kirios posted:

Here's another hot take for you gents, other than Mario 64 being the best.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is better than World.

I thought this was universally acknowledged. :shrug:

edit; The only platformers I can think of that are as fun to play as Mario 3 are Rayman Origins and Klonoa 2.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 19, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get the attachment to SM64 either. Basically all of the later 3d mario games are improvements. Maybe that just shows my age because I still think very highly of SM3 and SM world. I think I was a Playstation fanboy around the time 64 came out too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lobok posted:

N64 Mario is still one of the best characters to control. There are very few games where you can just run around (literally) doing absolutely nothing and it's still fun. His mix of jumps and how they work with your momentum and direction was genius.

Yeah. I'm really happy that Odyssey is bringing that back.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Here is a list of Mario games that are better than Mario 64.

SMB
SMB2
SMB3
SMW
SMAS
SMW2
PM
SPM
SMG
SMG2
NSMBw
NSMBu
SM3DW
SMM

and now super mario odyssey

You forgot SML.

But yeah, I'd say top tier Mario is SM2, 3, W, and G. 64 was ok at the time but Galaxy showed how great a 3D Mario platformer could be.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadow225 posted:

What ps1 games are better than Mario 64, pray tell

Pandemonium
Or Die Trying
Klonoa

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
There were earlier silly arguments about Uncharted 4 being bad. I just finished it last week after playing the first 3 for the first time last year and I'm declaring those opinions are wrong.

1 is rough but a solid first entry. Well-paced, but the combat scenarios are eh and the movement is janky.

2 is well-paced and made all the characters more interesting and introduced Chloe and and had much better combat scenarios and felt like a great Indiana Jones-esque adventure.

3 starts off super solid and ends super solid but has the worst pacing in the series by far. There are some good combat scenarios though.

4 has the best climbing by far, is a great send-off to the characters, offers solid stealth options, and has the gameplay and visuals just nailed. A bad idea to play it if you haven't played the other games though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why is our thread icon poo poo now 🤔

I honestly skipped over this thread in my bookmarks a couple times because of the icon change.

Also I liked Super Mario World more than SMB3, but then again Super Mario World was, like, one of the first video games I ever played

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Super Mario Sunshine is the better 64

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bloodychill posted:

There were earlier silly arguments about Uncharted 4 being bad. I just finished it last week after playing the first 3 for the first time last year and I'm declaring those opinions are wrong.

1 is rough but a solid first entry. Well-paced, but the combat scenarios are eh and the movement is janky.

2 is well-paced and made all the characters more interesting and introduced Chloe and and had much better combat scenarios and felt like a great Indiana Jones-esque adventure.

3 starts off super solid and ends super solid but has the worst pacing in the series by far. There are some good combat scenarios though.

4 has the best climbing by far, is a great send-off to the characters, offers solid stealth options, and has the gameplay and visuals just nailed. A bad idea to play it if you haven't played the other games though.

3 has worse pacing than 4?

Dunno about that. Not saying 4 is bad, but it is the only entry in the series I didn't replay multiple times, mostly due to dull pacing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Playstation 4: Super Mario Bros 3 / I guess you had to be there

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the best ps1 game is clearly tobal number one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This conversation has reminded me to play Rayman Legends, which I got so long ago but have yet to even install

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The popular critical opinion to hold for all PS1 games these days is that all of them are unplayable trash. Only reason why you like any of them is purely nostalgia. Adjust accordingly. Thank you for your time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

What ps1 games are better than Mario 64, pray tell

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is approx. 78 times better than Mario 64.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for some reason all of my friends for hyped as gently caress for battle arena toshinden also

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is approx. 78 times better than Mario 64.

Mario 64, a miserable pile of secrets

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what is this thread

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nintendo 64 had like 5 good games for it. PSX was the poo poo.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

3 has worse pacing than 4?

Dunno about that. Not saying 4 is bad, but it is the only entry in the series I didn't replay multiple times, mostly due to dull pacing.

3 had you changing character points of view and then one of them dropped out of the game because the VA left and then there was 6 hours of fighting increasingly boring pirates without even a phone call to Sully. Also, if you take the shield up the ladder into the pirate ship, you get bugged and can die in one hit but the game auto saved and now you can't drop the shield and have to somehow climb up the whole thing without getting shot.

:smith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

what is this thread

There's been nothing released for PS4 for a few weeks so we are talking about Nintendo.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Sic semper Mario, e pluribus Drake

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what is your favorite console and why is it the gizmondo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sega CD. Dat FMV :aaaaa:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why is our thread icon poo poo now 🤔

Yeah idk we've been going pretty solid without smart TV chat and other bickering

veni veni veni posted:

How much did that poo poo cost in 2017 dollars, or was it the Saturn that was like $800

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i posted that great yakuza 0 clip and more people are buying yakuza so thats cool at least. i also want to get resident evil 7 but resident evil is a tough game to discuss for a lot of weird meta reasons. but that wraps back around to ps1 talk as original resident evil was sort of a game changer. which also is wrapped up in survival horror being a very difficult to discuss genre, because a game like RE1 or Silent Hill 1 was more about like memorizing where everything is, knowing what you need to get and avoiding dangerous stuff. then two was less of that in both games and three combat was straight up a core part of the game.

prerendered backgrounds in the original RE were sort of cool, but part of the game being fighting the camera/not knowing the orientation of a room when you first go in and placing zombies outside of camera view but in full character view was pretty bleh.

veni veni veni posted:

when i was a kid one of my poorest friends ended up with one of those and god knows why but we played a lot of sewer shark

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Those games were all literally trash but as a kid I was completely blown away by fmv for some reason.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I finished Nights of Azure the other day. It's pretty shallow and I probably wouldn't recommend it over other games like it, but I had enough mindless fun with it to get the true ending.

I started The Order 1886, and although the setting seems decent so far, it's nowhere near good enough to make an opening sequence of limping around doing QTEs acceptable. Thankfully I'm past that and can now walk and do QTEs, and maybe shoot a thing once in a while.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lobok posted:

I haven't played it in years but I still remember how if Mario runs in a tight circle, he leans inward due to centripetal force. I don't think Bubsy 3D had that. Mario 64 is outdated in the same way that, like, the original Super Mario Bros. for NES is. It's a genre-defining classic, it's in the pantheon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

what is your favorite console and why is it the gizmondo

A mysterious machine has appeared in homes across America

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 19, 2017

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Man, I remember when my brother and I got a 32x... we were so excited for Virtua Fighter (which, to its credit, was a better version of that game than it had any right to be). We must have watched this video a hundred times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQK3K1Nrq4

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^I don't regret 32x for virtua stuff and doom alone.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

How much did that poo poo cost in 2017 dollars, or was it the Saturn that was like $800

I bought a Saturn at launch in Canuckistan and that was when the dollar was even worse than now so I don't think it was one of the super expensive ones. My friend got a 3do and that piece of poo poo was $1000+.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah idk we've been going pretty solid without smart TV chat and other bickering

Yeah the saturn was super pricey. $500 1994 I think. I think Sega CD was like, 300 bux at the time?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Flumpus posted:

Man, I remember when my brother and I got a 32x... we were so excited for Virtua Fighter (which, to its credit, was a better version of that game than it had any right to be). We must have watched this video a hundred times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQK3K1Nrq4

Real talk this video is awesome

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Armor-Piercing posted:

I started The Order 1886, and although the setting seems decent so far, it's nowhere near good enough to make an opening sequence of limping around doing QTEs acceptable. Thankfully I'm past that and can now walk and do QTEs, and maybe shoot a thing once in a while.

I'll defend the visuals and sound design in Order 1886 to the grave. The conventional guns actually sound and behave like victorian black powder firearms and not Desert Eagles or AR-15s dressed up to look old. The visuals actually lived up to the trailers that everyone thought were pre-rendered.

Pity the "game" part is so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the saturn was super pricey. $500 1994 I think. I think Sega CD was like, 300 bux at the time?

Looked it up, Saturn was $400.

Edit: Sega CD was $300. I skipped that one despite having a Genesis/32x/Saturn. Friend had it, only cool game was Sonic.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 19, 2017