Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Jan posted:

You kind of need something to boot from and make the initial Windows install to that freshly formatted drive.

Unless you mean literally copying an existing Windows directory (:psyduck:), in which case the advantage is that it's not a bad idea to start from a fresh Windows install from time to time?

I mean copying iso contents to USB drive. All the computers I have installed Windows that way (4 desktops and about 6 laptops) booted from it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I think he means that:
  • grab a flash drive
  • format it FAT32
  • extract the ISO (or copy/paste it from Explorer) to the flash drive
  • UEFI firmware can usually figure it out from here
(efb)

I remember some version of the media tools made an NTFS drive for UEFI installs (!) which doesn't work so well because UEFI isn't obligated to boot off of NTFS and I don't actually know of any implementations that can.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

dont be mean to me posted:

I think he means that:
  • grab a flash drive
  • format it FAT32
  • extract the ISO (or copy/paste it from Explorer) to the flash drive
  • UEFI firmware can usually figure it out from here
(efb)

I remember some version of the media tools made an NTFS drive for UEFI installs (!) which doesn't work so well because UEFI isn't obligated to boot off of NTFS and I don't actually know of any implementations that can.

Yup, exactly this.
So why should I use tool for it unless I want to prepare lots of USB drives at once or something like that?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
E: new page, whoops

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SinineSiil posted:

Yup, exactly this.
So why should I use tool for it unless I want to prepare lots of USB drives at once or something like that?

Because it won't work on all computers. It will especially be likely to have problems on older computers that can still run Windows 10 but are completely non-UEFI.as well as some older UEFI setups.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

Because it won't work on all computers. It will especially be likely to have problems on older computers that can still run Windows 10 but are completely non-UEFI.as well as some older UEFI setups.

Sucks to be a computer with old or busted firmware, then.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Copying the files is probably the better option because then it can only boot via UEFI. A drive that supports both UEFI and traditional MBR-based booting might lead to booting it the wrong way, and then making the wrong kind of Windows install.

This wouldn't be an issue if you could force Windows to make a UEFI install, but it insists on using whatever it was booted as.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Well, if your BIOS allows disabling MBR booting, then that effectively forces a UEFI install, which is what I ended up doing. It took me a bit of faffing around to enable Legacy USB so it'd boot off the USB key, but once that was done, everything went smoothly. I am now in the process of uninstalling all the crud that comes with a fresh Windows 10 install. :shepicide:

Thank gently caress this old MSDNAA Windows 7 license was for Windows 7 Professional, I don't know how I'd live without gpedit.

That said, I could swear I had it setup before so my user folder Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc. were pointing to a different drive without having to do a symlink/junction. Using the "move" option actually moves the directory, leaving nothing behind in the user folder. Does that sound right?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Jan posted:

That said, I could swear I had it setup before so my user folder Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc. were pointing to a different drive without having to do a symlink/junction. Using the "move" option actually moves the directory, leaving nothing behind in the user folder. Does that sound right?

If you mean the "Move..." button on the Location tab in the special folder's properties dialog, then yes (it will ask if you want to move any existing files). I'm sure there are other methods but I've never bothered to look.

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer
In Windows 7, when I had a folder with an image in it, it would preview that image for me like a photo "inside" the folder. That was cool, so I would give folders various "label" images to represent them. But in Windows 10, I still see the preview, but the image is heavily cropped so it looks weird. I also just like the WIndows 7 look better. Is there an option to just go back to the way Windows 7 File Explorer worked?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FieryBalrog posted:

In Windows 7, when I had a folder with an image in it, it would preview that image for me like a photo "inside" the folder. That was cool, so I would give folders various "label" images to represent them. But in Windows 10, I still see the preview, but the image is heavily cropped so it looks weird. I also just like the WIndows 7 look better. Is there an option to just go back to the way Windows 7 File Explorer worked?

That's not how Microsoft works. You better like their UI improvements, mister!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good news.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/351171/microsoft-targets-chrome-users-with-windows-10-pop-up-ad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the reason people aren't using our browser? we're not annoying the poo poo out of them enough!!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

"If we can load enough crapware into chrome, people will come back to our browser, right?"

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Last Chance posted:

the reason people aren't using our browser? we're not annoying the poo poo out of them enough!!

Every google page on the planet keeps telling me to use chrome

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Twibbit posted:

Every google page on the planet keeps telling me to use chrome

Either they gave up trying to tell me that or I have them adblocked.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I use Vivaldi and like it a lot in spite of it's quirks~

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Like 90% of normal people who use Chrome, use Chrome because the Google homepage/mail/pictures/calendar/blogger/feedburner/documents/G+/news/drive/youtube/Google Video/maps/books/android os/etc told them it was new and better than whatever they were on, probably IE.

MS advertise their browser that is actually much better than what they used to bundle and dare to mention it ...

The anti-MS circlejerk continues I guess.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Edge is garbage though - scrolling performance is good but that is literally all it has going for it

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I've been using Edge whenever I don't feel like messing with noscript to get a site to work.

It's pretty good, but maybe I don't expect much from my web browser. It has extensions to support user-scripts and an ad-block so I'm set.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Has this been proved to be the definitive way to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting on it's own? I just had windows reboot to install an update while I was actually using the computer with no warning, and I had Don't Sleep running which I thought was supposed to prevent that. I've just uninstalled Don't Sleep and followed the instructions in that link, just wondering if it's actually worked for anyone or if it's gonna be like one of the 50 other supposed remedies that never did anything

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

At this point I've accepted the fate of having Windows 10 reboot on its own TBH.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

New Win 10 Home system.

Problem: Entire system freezes up if the system idle timer turns off the monitor. I've set 'hard drive shutoff' off in the power options to disabled but it's still happening. Where else should I look?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Synthbuttrange posted:

New Win 10 Home system.

Problem: Entire system freezes up if the system idle timer turns off the monitor. I've set 'hard drive shutoff' off in the power options to disabled but it's still happening. Where else should I look?

Update your BIOS.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Synthbuttrange posted:

New Win 10 Home system.

When I had a similar issue I had to disable the 'turn off display when idle' setting to prevent it. I believe it was caused by the GPU failing to recover from a low power state, not that it ever showed errors in the event log.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ever since the update back in November a bunch of weird stuff has been happening, with things like Clover breaking all together or DS4Windows not giving me UAC crap every time I turn on my controller. Most were either fixed via updates or I just got used to them but one thing that's been driving me mad lately is that my desktop wallpaper shuffle randomly stops working. Like it will shuffle them in 30 minute intervals only to just stay on one forever until I go into Personalize and set it to a different time, which just starts the loop anew. Unless I find a third party solution I can't see how I can really fix it; at the very least the registry settings are what I believe they should be for it to work.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I discovered that the folding@home client will keep Windows from either sleeping or rebooting for updates.

So in a back handed way ... Windows 10 is helping to cure cancer?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I used to be into that, now it just reminds me of having a backdoor BTC miner run continuously.

If the hardware strain/power footprint can be minimal, I might give the late 90s a shot again.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Here's something I've been wondering. At what point during the upgrade process does it bake in the license? Does anyone know? Occasionally I'll encounter machines where the upgrade just hangs halfway through, have an Acer here right now thats just hanging on the Acer boot logo after the ~30% reboot during the blue screen stage of the install. Restarting just fails to recover the installation and reverts to 8. I wanna try a clean install from USB but I'm thinking it'll just tell me its not activated.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Use your Win 8 key to do a clean install.

It still works.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does the same go for 7? Would save me a lot of time

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yes. I did it two days ago with a Windows 7 OEM key because my retail 7 ISO wouldn't install using it, but 10 was perfectly happy to take it and activate.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Synthbuttrange posted:

New Win 10 Home system.

Are you sure it's the monitor and not sleep? Sleep issues are far more common than display issues.

Eletriarnation posted:

Yes. I did it two days ago with a Windows 7 OEM key because my retail 7 ISO wouldn't install using it, but 10 was perfectly happy to take it and activate.

Windows 10's installer wouldn't accept my Windows 7 retail key, but I was able to install without a key and then reactivate through my previously activated Microsoft account. Of course, this only applies for a reinstall, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could've just entered the retail key post-install to activate.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

codo27 posted:

Here's something I've been wondering. At what point during the upgrade process does it bake in the license? Does anyone know? Occasionally I'll encounter machines where the upgrade just hangs halfway through, have an Acer here right now thats just hanging on the Acer boot logo after the ~30% reboot during the blue screen stage of the install. Restarting just fails to recover the installation and reverts to 8. I wanna try a clean install from USB but I'm thinking it'll just tell me its not activated.

No later than the first time it tags Microsoft over the Internet.

After that point you probably won't have to enter a key at all, as long as you install the same edition (Pro/uh, not Pro) on the same motherboard.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It didn't take my Windows 7 key at install, but it did work when I manually entered it after installing.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

d0s posted:

Has this been proved to be the definitive way to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting on it's own? I just had windows reboot to install an update while I was actually using the computer with no warning, and I had Don't Sleep running which I thought was supposed to prevent that. I've just uninstalled Don't Sleep and followed the instructions in that link, just wondering if it's actually worked for anyone or if it's gonna be like one of the 50 other supposed remedies that never did anything

EconOutlines posted:

At this point I've accepted the fate of having Windows 10 reboot on its own TBH.

I'm in the reverse camp I guess because I want to know how the heck you all are getting Windows to reboot itself all the time. I have not once had a random reboot while using my pc. I keep my pc on 24/7 and keep apps open and never have I unlocked it in the morning to see that it had rebooted.

Well, at least after the Anniversary Update, I don't have a clear enough memory before that. For reference, systeminfo says my system boot time was 1/2/2017, so been running 24/7 since then. The time is afternoon so it was probably a manual reboot for some reason. And before that I was travelling for the holidays and it was on 24/7 for 3+ weeks.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

This might be a better question for elsewhere, but I'll try anyways.

I've just discovered the magic of powershell and using it to remove default windows 10 bloat-ware.

The funny thing is, I don't think all the stuff windows 10 comes with is really all that bad. Mail, Calendar...they don't seem that bad, and I like the weather app.

Is there a way to make an executeable powershell script to remove the more annoying Windows 10 garbage (I'm thinking groove music, solitaire, xbox) easily? Rather than going program by program every time?

EDIT: Also, this may be more of a deep-dive thing based off of what I've read on google, is it possible to remove specific Office Pro Plus programs using powershell? I got a copy cheap through work, but I really don't need "Skype for Business", "Access" and "OneDrive for Business" at home.

The DVD just installed everything without giving me an option to cherry pick and Microsoft's answer seems to be "Everyone loves ALL OUR PRODUCTS SO SHUT UP". Which is bullshit, by the way.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 21, 2017

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Snuffman posted:

This might be a better question for elsewhere, but I'll try anyways.

I've just discovered the magic of powershell and using it to remove default windows 10 bloat-ware.

The funny thing is, I don't think all the stuff windows 10 comes with is really all that bad. Mail, Calendar...they don't seem that bad, and I like the weather app.

Is there a way to make an executeable powershell script to remove the more annoying Windows 10 garbage (I'm thinking groove music, solitaire, xbox) easily? Rather than going program by program every time?

EDIT: Also, this may be more of a deep-dive thing based off of what I've read on google, is it possible to remove specific Office Pro Plus programs using powershell? I got a copy cheap through work, but I really don't need "Skype for Business", "Access" and "OneDrive for Business" at home.

The DVD just installed everything without giving me an option to cherry pick and Microsoft's answer seems to be "Everyone loves ALL OUR PRODUCTS SO SHUT UP". Which is bullshit, by the way.

You can just stick each command in a ps1 file. It's essentially a batch script.
For office, I had to make an xml file to pick the apps I wanted to install.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Probably? I'm not sufficiently familiar with Powershell to set it up and most such scripts on the Internet do fun scorched-earth poo poo like removing the Store from the Windows directory itself so it can't be reinstalled without reinstalling Windows (and since your UWP apps get updated through the Store and they're still available to attackers even if you never intentionally run them, that's bad).

You'd probably be okay with a script from when the given version of Windows 10 was released, if you run it before connecting to the Internet.

As for Office: Yes, but you need to know some details about your Office install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

nvm I'm an idiot.

Win7 key worked and on the aforementioned 8 system it didn't ask for a key at all and activated automatically. Maybe the guy reverted. He does have nascar posters up and mutton chops.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 21, 2017