Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Do you have it?

Now that the skeletons are out of the closet;

Can you comment on the film quality and on the bonus features? Thanks :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Does it have a reverseable cover like the Argentos?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Can you comment on the film quality and on the bonus features? Thanks :3

The quality of the transfer is top notch, it's probably the best it's going to look since it's a film from the 70s (underexposed with a lot of push processing). The extras I haven't taken a look at but they seem pretty extensive.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Does it have a reverseable cover like the Argentos?

Yes.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Cheers, thanks man!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally finished going through the Drew Associates Kennedy films.

While Adventures in the New Frontier was kind of boring, the rest of the films are riveting, especially Crisis. It covers the situation with George Wallace halting the de-segregration of University of Alabama when its first African-American students arrive (Vivian Malone and James Hood). To see JFK and Bobby Kennedy at work is exhilarating. These are two brilliant strategists with charisma to get the right thing done. Then you see Wallace, who comes off as a piece of poo poo. Yet the film is more than fair. But it's really awful to see that little has changed in over 50 years (of course Wallace drops the religion card).

Still need to go through the rest of the extras, but there's a lengthy collection of outtakes from Crisis (with a long intro) and a 90s Q&A with Robert Drew and others (D.A. Pennebaker, Albert Maysles, and Richard Leacock).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Egbert Souse posted:

Finally finished going through the Drew Associates Kennedy films.

While Adventures in the New Frontier was kind of boring, the rest of the films are riveting, especially Crisis. It covers the situation with George Wallace halting the de-segregration of University of Alabama when its first African-American students arrive (Vivian Malone and James Hood). To see JFK and Bobby Kennedy at work is exhilarating. These are two brilliant strategists with charisma to get the right thing done. Then you see Wallace, who comes off as a piece of poo poo. Yet the film is more than fair. But it's really awful to see that little has changed in over 50 years (of course Wallace drops the religion card).

Still need to go through the rest of the extras, but there's a lengthy collection of outtakes from Crisis (with a long intro) and a 90s Q&A with Robert Drew and others (D.A. Pennebaker, Albert Maysles, and Richard Leacock).

I watched all those recently too, cool stuff. Agreed that Adventures in the New Frontier was boring but Primary and Crisis were both very good.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I didn't have much interest in them but I'll check it out now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Only Angels Have Wings was a great movie that looks fantastic for something made in 1939.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Adventures in the New Frontier well enough, though its the weakest bit in that set.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

GrandpaPants posted:

Only Angels Have Wings was a great movie that looks fantastic for something made in 1939.
Love that sweeping camera shot of the plane flying over the canyon, but I also think those scenes with the plane miniatures look fantastic. Hell, I even find those condors appealing

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FilmStruck keeps adding a lot of great stuff, but the latest Criterion Channel additions are Roger Corman's The Intruder and Rock n' Roll High School.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
:canada:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

Roger Corman's The Intruder

Oh my god yes please let Criterion release this

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I want to live in a world where Corman's Fantastic Four is in the Criterion Collection.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The Intruder is really good. Who knew Captain Kirk was a clansman?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

FilmStruck keeps adding a lot of great stuff, but the latest Criterion Channel additions are Roger Corman's The Intruder and Rock n' Roll High School.

Can't wait for the Clint Howard eclipse set.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

I Before E posted:

Can't wait for the Clint Howard eclipse set.

Just watch the Monsters and Madmen set, same difference

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

April announcements:

Buena Vista Social Club - Wim Wenders
Spine #866

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

New high-definition digital transfer, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary from 1999 featuring director Wim Wenders
New interview with Wenders
We Believe in Dreams, a new piece featuring never-before-seen outtakes from the rehearsals for the Buena Vista Social Club’s Amsterdam concerts
Interview from 1998 with musician Compay Segundo on his career and the Cuban music scene
Radio interviews from 2000 featuring musicians Ibrahim Ferrer, Rubén González, Eliades Ochoa, Omara Portuondo, and others
Additional scenes
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by author and geographer Joshua Jelly-Schapiro

Woman of the Year - George Cukor
Spine #867

New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New interview with George Stevens Jr., the director’s son
New interview with George Stevens biographer Marilyn Ann Moss
New interview with writer Claudia Roth Pierpont on actor Katharine Hepburn
The Spencer Tracy Legacy: A Tribute by Katharine Hepburn, an 86-minute documentary from 1986
Trailer
More!
PLUS: An essay by critic Stephanie Zacharek

Tampopo - Juzo Itami
Spine #868

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
The Making of “Tampopo,” a ninety-minute documentary from 1986, narrated by director Juzo Itami
New interview with actor Nobuko Miyamoto
New interviews with ramen scholar Hiroshi Osaki; food stylist Seiko Ogawa; and American chefs Sam White, Rayneil De Guzman, Jerry Jaksich, and Anthony Bourdain
Rubber Band Pistol, Itami’s 1962 debut short film
New video essay by Tony Zhou and Taylor Ramos on the film’s themes of self-improvement and mastery of a craft
Trailer
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by food and culture writer Willy Blackmore

Rumble Fish - Francis Ford Coppola
Spine #869

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director of photography Stephen H. Burum and approved by director Francis Ford Coppola, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Alternate remastered 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary featuring Coppola
New interviews with Coppola, author and coscreenwriter S. E. Hinton, and associate producer Roman Coppola
New conversation between Burum and production designer Dean Tavoularis
Pieces from 2005 about the film’s score and production
Interviews from 1983 with actors Matt Dillon, Diane Lane, and Vincent Spano and producer Doug Claybourne
French television interview from 1984 with actor Mickey Rourke
Locations: Looking for Rusty James, a 2013 documentary by Alberto Fuguet about the impact of Rumble Fish
New piece about the film’s existentialist elements
“Don’t Box Me In” music video
Deleted scenes
Trailer
More!

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 17, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My longest yeah boi ever

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also separate Blu/DVD singles of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort (previously only in the dual format Jacques Demy set).

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Tampopo is amazing. So happy this is finally hitting the set.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Also separate Blu/DVD singles of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort (previously only in the dual format Jacques Demy set).

So these are identical to the set version, just made available separately?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Tampopo is an instant buy for me. Amazing film. Stoked about the making of too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Is Rumble Fish the first Nicolas Cage film to enter the collection?

edit: Never mind, I forgot about The Rock. Quietly awaiting Con Air.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd say that it's neat that Coppola is finally in the collection, but his releases tend to be stellar. The Godfather Trilogy, The Conversation, and Apocalypse Now are all Criterion-quality releases.

Spatulater bro! posted:

So these are identical to the set version, just made available separately?

Seems like it since the page doesn't say anything like "BOX SET ONLY" in the extras like it does for Easy Rider or Five Easy Pieces, which are slightly different from the BBS set versions.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
every day that they don't announce the Stalker blu ray is agony

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Just give us the rest of Tarkovsky's oeuvre already.

My short Criterion Blu ray wish list is The Devils, The Great Silence, and a Zulawski box set.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only movie I would know that I want them to do is The Man With The Golden Arm.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm waiting impatiently for a Peter Greenaway box set.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm waiting impatiently for a Peter Greenaway box set.

Same here. Also Bela Tarr.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I want some classic Mario Bava. Black Sunday would be a good start.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Spatulater bro! posted:

the bitter disappointment from that time I saw a Criterion cover for Satantango and then realized it was a fan-made mockup still stings.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the bitter disappointment from that time I saw a Criterion cover for Satantango and then realized it was a fan-made mockup still stings.

I see that loving cover pop up all the time and it really aggravates me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was faked out by this once:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Spatulater bro! posted:

I would incoherently and uncontrollably geek out the second they announced Satantango

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My big "get", and I don't think they even have the rights to this, would be Cronenberg's Crash.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

If we're getting into Criterion hopes and dreams, which I'm all for, my biggest hope is Altman's California Split. There isn't a readily available Blu Ray and the DVD is (I think) OOP. Music rights have been a problem...but man, this movie needs a proper release.

I'd also like The Long Goodbye, but there's also a Kino Lorber release from a couple years back...so that ain't happening.

For non-Altman, I want Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead. No really good edition...past relationship with Scorsese...it's an underrated gem! Let's do this!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Napoleon was my dream Criterion, though the BFI release more than makes up for that. I'm 99% sure Criterion will end up handling the newer Zoetrope/Cinemateque restoration, though.

I'd love to see Criterion get some golden age animation like the Tex Avery cartoons or even some of Disney's stuff. Disney would be easy since they have 4K masters of every short film they ever made. Avery is really missed considering the only DVD release was a compilation of Droopy cartoons, most of which were from laserdisc-era transfers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wish Criterion had more animated stuff in general. Right now all we have are Fantastic Planet, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Watership Down, right? Any of Bill Plympton or Sylvain Chomet's films would be right at home in the collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Anomalisa would be a good one to get. Maybe Secret of Kells and or Song of the Sea.