Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm convinced King could make money playing Jotaro at poker.

Genocyber posted:

gently caress whoever translated it for how they translated Okamaitachi's name though.

Yeah, how unfortunate to have that right at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Genocyber posted:

Fantastic chapter. gently caress whoever translated it for how they translated Okamaitachi's name though.

You mean, accurately? Okama is not a nice word.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wittgen posted:

You mean, accurately? Okama is not a nice word.

The great thing about translations/localizations is that you can make changes to remove lovely stuff like that. But that's completely beside the point given that it was also the only name they chose to translate, leaving the other two transliterated.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Genocyber posted:

The great thing about translations/localizations is that you can make changes to remove lovely stuff like that. But that's completely beside the point given that it was also the only name they chose to translate, leaving the other two transliterated.

I just wouldn't give One a pass for it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wittgen posted:

I mean if you want ONE's attacks on the LGBT community recall that PriPri is a major character

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I wouldn't either. Doesn't change the fact that the translator could have done a better job in this regard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm convinced King could make money playing Pocoloco at poker.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's shooting pretty high, but I think King might be able to make it happen.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

I wouldn't either. Doesn't change the fact that the translator could have done a better job in this regard.

So can you! Open that sucker up in MS Paint and have at it!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That got had me rolling. I entirely believe that ONE just came up with that technique joke a few weeks ago and had to write it asap, and that's why we got so many updates so fast.

Okamaitachi is super bad tho and jeez. At least i'm glad her name only comes up at the end there, but I wish ONE wasn't so... like that with LGBT stuff.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Okamaitachi is super bad tho and jeez. At least i'm glad her name only comes up at the end there, but I wish ONE wasn't so... like that with LGBT stuff.

Don't you think it's a bit problematic to assume Slicing Shemale's gender?

Real talk: there's a huge cultural divide here. The issues faced by LGBT folks in Japan are very different from the ones faced in the US. In some ways, they have it better. In others, it's worse.

Japan is not as prone to offense as many of our western friends. Even the ones who you believe should be offended by said thing. This is part of that cultural divide.

Every single time this is apparent, people come out of the wood work to virtue signal and derail an enjoyable Japanese comics thread for like two pages over some pretty dumb poo poo.

If you actually cared, you'd reach out to the translator and offer to edit for them. Or just do it anyway and upload it to batoto or whatever yourself.

Anyway, King is amazing. OPM and One are both fantastic. This is a good chapter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol the old lovely dude bingo right ( cultural differences, virtue signaling, buzzword buzzword, buzzword)there.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Christ you wrote an awful post, bud.

I mean something had to cancel out that good chapter but yikes-a-roonie

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Moltrey posted:

Christ you wrote an awful post, bud.

I mean something had to cancel out that good chapter but yikes-a-roonie

How to post better in dead comedy anime forum?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Turn in your piuy avatar.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

No.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

Don't you think it's a bit problematic to assume Slicing Shemale's gender?

Real talk:

Gender identity joke, good start.

quote:

there's a huge cultural divide here. The issues faced by LGBT folks in Japan are very different from the ones faced in the US. In some ways, they have it better. In others, it's worse.

Japan is not as prone to offense as many of our western friends. Even the ones who you believe should be offended by said thing. This is part of that cultural divide.

There are differences between our cultures. That does not change that treating people lovely is an objectively bad thing and should be brought up. Using slurs is an example of that. Now, I have no idea if the word "okama" is actually a slur in Japan; someone more knowledgable than me would have to pipe in with regards to that. However shemale is a rather lovely term to refer to a trans woman with and there was no reason to translate Okamaitachi's name as such (and would likely be inaccurate, since what ONE seems to be going for with the character is that of a crossdressing dude). It's especially poor considering the other two disciples' names were left merely transliterated.

quote:

Every single time this is apparent, people come out of the wood work to virtue signal and derail an enjoyable Japanese comics thread for like two pages over some pretty dumb poo poo.

Virtue signaling is rarely an actual thing. About the only situations I actually see it in is usually when people claim others are virtue signaling, much like what you're doing. Getting upset over a slur being used is not an unreasonable reaction.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

Gender identity joke, good start.
Agreed.

Genocyber posted:

There are differences between our cultures. That does not change that treating people lovely is an objectively bad thing and should be brought up. Using slurs is an example of that. Now, I have no idea if the word "okama" is actually a slur in Japan; someone more knowledgable than me would have to pipe in with regards to that. However shemale is a rather lovely term to refer to a trans woman with and there was no reason to translate Okamaitachi's name as such (and would likely be inaccurate, since what ONE seems to be going for with the character is that of a crossdressing dude). It's especially poor considering the other two disciples' names were left merely transliterated.

Totally agree with regard to bad thing. Obnoxious to bring it up literally every time it happens because it's part of the medium and bringing it up every time has literally no bearing on its presence. Our internet posts won't change Japanese Mangaka. Okama is a slur. Agreed wrt Shemale.

Genocyber posted:

Virtue signaling is rarely an actual thing. About the only situations I actually see it in is usually when people claim others are virtue signaling, much like what you're doing. Getting upset over a slur being used is not an unreasonable reaction.

Goodness knows no one finds my posts virtuous. I agree it's not unreasonable. I'm also not going to tell you not to read Japanese comics even though this clearly upsetting thing to you is present in all of them, because that would also be unreasonable.

My issue is that every time some questionable thing comes up it is an opportunity for forums posters to let others know how cool they are with the gays for two pages before comics discussion resumes.

It's me, too. I'm also derailing this with my bullshit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This a forum people like to express their opinions, even if they aren't unique.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

Agreed.

Totally agree with regard to bad thing. Obnoxious to bring it up literally every time it happens because it's part of the medium and bringing it up every time has literally no bearing on its presence. Our internet posts won't change Japanese Mangaka. Okama is a slur. Agreed wrt Shemale.

If it's obnoxious to have it brought up to your attention, imagine how it feels when you're part of the group said slur is targeting and can't help but notice it.

It's an unfortunately common aspect of the medium, yes, and that makes it worth discussing. This is the OPM by ONE thread after all, where we discuss things about said comic. Posts praising the comic won't affect it in any way but I don't see you complaining about that, despite this thread likely having a greater amount of "such cool, good chapter" shitposts than any other type of post.

quote:

Goodness knows no one finds my posts virtuous. I agree it's not unreasonable. I'm also not going to tell you not to read Japanese comics even though this clearly upsetting thing to you is present in all of them, because that would also be unreasonable.

My issue is that every time some questionable thing comes up it is an opportunity for forums posters to let others know how cool they are with the gays for two pages before comics discussion resumes.

Are you really complaining about people being not lovely and showing some solidarity? How is that at all a bad thing?

But you're right that it's a derail at this point so I won't continue.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The thread mood got cold faster than swastika chat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also, you're alright Genocyber.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Genocyber posted:

Now, I have no idea if the word "okama" is actually a slur in Japan; someone more knowledgable than me would have to pipe in with regards to that.

Okama is definitely a slur. I don't disagree that the translator could have censored it or used a more accurate English slur, but the translator didn't invent the transphobia.

danzaroo
Jul 22, 2007
dingus dingus dingus.

danzaroo fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 19, 2017

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

:chloe:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oooh, lots of new posts, the update must have be-

:yikes:

(The update was amazing)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He is right about one thing and that is that the west is going to turn into a poo poo-hole before it gets any better for us here now.

Are there actually any safe zones left for trans-people?

Also should we tweet at ONE about that character or is it a waste of time?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tweeting it to ONE isn't likely to achieve anything unless you can put out a well reasoned tweet (oxymoron) in real Japanese at a time when he's likely to see it but is experiencing low traffic in his feed.

Google translate isn't something to rely on to get a point across.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tweeting it to ONE isn't likely to achieve anything unless you can put out a well reasoned tweet (oxymoron) in real Japanese at a time when he's likely to see it but is experiencing low traffic in his feed.

Google translate isn't something to rely on to get a point across.

Yeah, I figured. Worth asking though.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Genocyber posted:

If it's obnoxious to have it brought up to your attention, imagine how it feels when you're part of the group said slur is targeting and can't help but notice it.

I love the ridiculous irony that exists in calling out a complaint as "virtue signaling". The complaint would have gone silently after a few posts but the poster whose opinion it is that people scroll past and not complain about it... can't follow their own advice? If virtue signaling exists I'm sure making a point of telling people that you don't care about the feelings of a minority group is it lmfao

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Death Bot posted:

I love the ridiculous irony that exists in calling out a complaint as "virtue signaling". The complaint would have gone silently after a few posts but the poster whose opinion it is that people scroll past and not complain about it... can't follow their own advice? If virtue signaling exists I'm sure making a point of telling people that you don't care about the feelings of a minority group is it lmfao

Perhaps internet nazis are... hypocritical!?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

you people are loving stupid and arguing about stupid poo poo

this chapter however, is the opposite of that, and very good

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
such cool, good chapter :nexus:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Drythe posted:

you people are loving stupid and arguing about stupid poo poo

this chapter however, is the opposite of that, and very good

Yes it's stupid because you don't care about it, sure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Me, realizing this conversation is starting to chase its own tail

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ironically this convo would end if people would stop posting how much they don't care.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I liked how the disciples just unconditionally accepted that their master had seen all that poo poo they didn't and took his word that King was a master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You just can't argue with facts.