Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Umbrella exploiting and loving up a downtrodden populace was a really dark plot point that struck far too close to home, and was pretty effective.

How the effects of their tampering manifested though, yikes. Capcom were unbelievably tonedeaf with that bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boy are my arms tired posted:

my dude what are vaceesns

those things that give you autism

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assumed it was because irving went to a native village that lived off the land(those placed do exist in africa, i forget the names sadly but they are fascinating people, kill giraffs with tiny throwing spears and cool stuff like that) and tricked them into thinking they were getting vaceesns for various regular viruses.

Nope. There's documentation around the village. They were explicitly more modern people who lived near the oil refinary before the introduction of the Plagas. It caused the children and women to die off and made all the men pull out old ancestral clothing they had around for festival days and start wearing it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The thing you trade for Tasha Yar.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. There's documentation around the village. They were explicitly more modern people who lived near the oil refinary before the introduction of the Plagas. It caused the children and women to die off and made all the men pull out old ancestral clothing they had around for festival days and start wearing it.

what's the deal with the ancient african laser kingdom though

are those like.. the same guys??

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Electromax posted:

Just beat RE4 again and I love/am saddened by the credits showing the Ganado villages before Sadler arrived, all happy farmers and children... then the music turns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_weHtgqZ5Bs

A lovely melancholy backstory in about 60 seconds. I wonder if we'll see something similar with the family in RE7 pre-crazy (especially if it turns out they were Umbrella experiments again or whatever).

Oh yeah i love this, i always forget about it though until i finish a run through. I like how it hints why there were no kids in the village too.

I just started revelations 2 and holy poo poo i already like it way more than rev1 and barry hasnt even turned up yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

poptart_fairy posted:

Umbrella exploiting and loving up a downtrodden populace was a really dark plot point that struck far too close to home, and was pretty effective.

How the effects of their tampering manifested though, yikes. Capcom were unbelievably tonedeaf with that bit.

It doesn't even make sense either. If you had your brain degraded so that you reverted to primal man then you wouldn't pick up the clothes and traditions of your culture, you would do something different. Probably would just use the various sharp instruments you already have lying around for weapons too. The distance between modern man and war-masks-and-spears is time, not brain damage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fereydun posted:

what's the deal with the ancient african laser kingdom though

are those like.. the same guys??

That is just Ye Olde Ancient Civilization stuff I think.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Oh and before i forget, if you are in the uk you can buy the pc version of re7 for 26 quid on amazon (24 if you have prime) for the physical copy, which i assume is just a disc with a steam installer on it. Cheapest i've seen so far, GMG have it for 31 quid if you log in.

Dunno if the amazon version has the preorder bonuses though, but for that price i don't really care.

Oh and they are selling that loving candle for 10 quid and drat right i preordered that poo poo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It doesn't even make sense either. If you had your brain degraded so that you reverted to primal man then you wouldn't pick up the clothes and traditions of your culture, you would do something different. Probably would just use the various sharp instruments you already have lying around for weapons too. The distance between modern man and war-masks-and-spears is time, not brain damage

Quick question, wasn't that effect part of the explanation for the monks in RE4? I could have sworn they mentioned it in RE4 like, in a note or something, but now I'm starting to wonder if my memory's just faulty.

Also, I agree that the credits for RE4 are great. I need to get the new PC version, last time I played was a long time ago on the original PC version.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

catlord posted:

Quick question, wasn't that effect part of the explanation for the monks in RE4? I could have sworn they mentioned it in RE4 like, in a note or something, but now I'm starting to wonder if my memory's just faulty.

Also, I agree that the credits for RE4 are great. I need to get the new PC version, last time I played was a long time ago on the original PC version.

New pc version is fantastic at max settings, theres a sweetfx profile that makes the colours look like the gamecube version too. (Because they kinda hosed that up.) Once the hd pack is out i'm replaying it with a cube controller.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

catlord posted:

I thought the monks were just cultists

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol, sorry, long day, i am surprised you picked that one over the garbage fire that is my grammar and spelling. but yeah i always thought he gave a tribe of fake vaccines.

ImpAtom posted:

lol. thats retarded.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought the monks were just cultists

Yeah, for some reason I got it in my head that before RE5 came out there was something that explained people starting to act like their ancestors or whatever, and that's why the cultists were using crossbows and poo poo. But my brain might just be backdating that RE5 note or something dumb like that, God knows it's done poo poo like that before.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

catlord posted:

If I remember correctly, and I might not, it was a fan theory that eventually got made into an actual thing. The Illuminados in RE4 weren't wielding medieval weapons and dressing like Franciscan monks for no diegetic reason whatsoever. It's something about the Plaga infection.

(Other interesting things they never point out about Plaga infection: you're still kind of rational, most of them will gleefully ignore non-melee weapons, and they seem to prefer rotting food. Every single time you find a kitchen or storeroom in both RE4 and RE5, everything's been left out to spoil.)

The villagers in RE5 were subsistence farmers and fishermen who'd gotten screwed out of their ancestral rights to the oil fields by Tricell a generation previous. One of the files in the village mentions that on holidays, they'd dress up like their ancestors did, which is why they had all the old weapons lying around.

Presumably if you went to rural America and injected the locals with Plagas, they'd be raving around in tri-corner hats. Which I now want to see. Very much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wanderer posted:

If I remember correctly, and I might not, it was a fan theory that eventually got made into an actual thing. The Illuminados in RE4 weren't wielding medieval weapons and dressing like Franciscan monks for no diegetic reason whatsoever. It's something about the Plaga infection.

(Other interesting things they never point out about Plaga infection: you're still kind of rational, most of them will gleefully ignore non-melee weapons, and they seem to prefer rotting food. Every single time you find a kitchen or storeroom in both RE4 and RE5, everything's been left out to spoil.)

The villagers in RE5 were subsistence farmers and fishermen who'd gotten screwed out of their ancestral rights to the oil fields by Tricell a generation previous. One of the files in the village mentions that on holidays, they'd dress up like their ancestors did, which is why they had all the old weapons lying around.

Presumably if you went to rural America and injected the locals with Plagas, they'd be raving around in tri-corner hats. Which I now want to see. Very much.

yeah, i never understood the plagas stuff. like i assume your still somewhat there but your guided by the parasite. it kinda makes me curious about saddlers backstory. because clearly he is fully there(within reasons) its just he can turn into a monster. also simmions seemed to take turning into a spider t-rex pretty well.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The actual identity of "Neo-Umbrella" in RE6 is extremely confused. The J'avo are clearly highly operationally functional, communicative, and able to perform organizational tactics, but they have literally no reason given to be doing any of the things they're doing. They're all mercenaries? That's pretty fanciful, but even if one overlooks that, where'd Carla get the millions of dollars to finance that? It's weird that almost the entire game consists of fighting an enemy force that kind of doesn't exist.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The only way I've been able to rationalize it is by relying heavily on the existence of The Family, which is an Illuminati-esque organization with seemingly infinite funding and power, that shows up completely out of the blue for RE6 and is only halfway explained by the files you get for shooting medallions.

The way I understand it is that Carla appropriated a whole bunch of The Family's funding and assets in order to make her play at world domination under the guise of Neo-Umbrella, but The Family has the ability to summon dudes in black helicopters to assassinate someone seemingly whenever they see fit, which happens to her and I wanna say Simmons? Although maybe they just leave him behind, I can't remember 100%. RE6's writing has a few high points, but the overreliance on The Family makes the plot as a whole suffer, imo.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

The actual identity of "Neo-Umbrella" in RE6 is extremely confused. The J'avo are clearly highly operationally functional, communicative, and able to perform organizational tactics, but they have literally no reason given to be doing any of the things they're doing. They're all mercenaries? That's pretty fanciful, but even if one overlooks that, where'd Carla get the millions of dollars to finance that? It's weird that almost the entire game consists of fighting an enemy force that kind of doesn't exist.

i mean, neo umbrella is a front of the US-based illuminati ("the family"), delegated to carla because she was both already simmons' second-in-command and a clone of ada
they're specifically named that as to evoke fear in the public worldwide so that the US can maintain control of the general global direction/policy. they have no actual relationship to umbrella and specifically are a front for a fake terrorist attack.
i guess the soldiers are mercs in the same vein as the USS except with a dose of that drone subservience thanks to the c-virus. there's a file that explains that deal where it's like they lose all sense of reasoning but maintain their intelligence or something along those lines. so they become like ants/bees/whatever which i guess also ties slightly into the bug-themed mutations

their reasoning for the continuation of carla's plan after she dies is actually in a file and it notes that there are humans working for her and fiercely loyal for whatever reason- everything in chris and jake/sherry's last mission is actually carla's backup plan if she dies. which is why HAOS is still greatly undeveloped rather than being a giant BOW that infects the earth's water supply with the c-virus.

the guys in edonia aren't with neo-umbrella but rather regular grade mercs fighting in civil war with the support of neo umbrella. neo umbrella is there to take out jake so they can prevent a cure for the c-virus from existing.
carla already betrayed simmons at that point (he's not aware of the betrayal until the china scenario begins) and ends up ignoring her orders of outright killing him in exchange for just capturing him and sherry to research in typical mad scientist fashion.

basically the RE universe is chock full of mad scientists who really want humanity to eat poo poo and are fiercely loyal to random super mad scientists i guess

edit:

Geight posted:

The only way I've been able to rationalize it is by relying heavily on the existence of The Family, which is an Illuminati-esque organization with seemingly infinite funding and power, that shows up completely out of the blue for RE6 and is only halfway explained by the files you get for shooting medallions.

The way I understand it is that Carla appropriated a whole bunch of The Family's funding and assets in order to make her play at world domination under the guise of Neo-Umbrella, but The Family has the ability to summon dudes in black helicopters to assassinate someone seemingly whenever they see fit, which happens to her and I wanna say Simmons? Although maybe they just leave him behind, I can't remember 100%. RE6's writing has a few high points, but the overreliance on The Family makes the plot as a whole suffer, imo.

yeah it's this. she even has the same dumb plan of "i have the good virus and everyone dies except me and my clone of probably simmons who will inherit the earth"

the family is easily the worst inclusion for the re universe since it ends up kinda simplifying poo poo into "it was this evil organization all along!" instead of human beings just being self-destructive and short-sighted pieces of poo poo naturally which was a great continuing theme of post-umbrella RE

sheng-ya pharmaceuticals being set up as effectively the next umbrella also kinda sucks b/c it feels like it's just treading old ground in terms of seeking a "big villainous organization to fight" but that's still better than the family's garbage rear end illuminati/cobra schtick.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 19, 2017

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Carla probably had some of those butlers whose families have served the villains line for generations and have noticed their insane but are too loyal to do anything about it, the antagonists usually have at least one everey few games dropping some memos about.

Old Oswald Spencer is a peach because he actually sent his off before poo poo hit the fan.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 19, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i never understood the plagas stuff. like i assume your still somewhat there but your guided by the parasite. it kinda makes me curious about saddlers backstory. because clearly he is fully there(within reasons) its just he can turn into a monster. also simmions seemed to take turning into a spider t-rex pretty well.

The general idea behind the Plagas seems to be that you're pretty much the same as you were, but you're much less motivated unless there's an uninfected person around, at which point you're rather strongly inclined towards psychotically murdering that person. You can also be meat-puppeted just about at will by anyone who's hosting a Master Plaga, which also confers some degree of mutagenic/superhuman ability to its host.

Ada manages to get away at the end of RE4 with a master Plaga sample, but she burned her ties with Wesker to save Leon and was a double agent anyway, so Wesker doesn't get a master Plaga. Instead, he develops the type-2/3 Plagas, which work much faster and produce somewhat smarter mutants, but which can't be directly controlled. He's just scattering them at random to make the KAZ as inhospitable as possible so he can finish up his master plan, because they're little better than expendable, fearless goons.

Anonymous Robot posted:

The files in RE6 make a point of mentioning that A) nobody's quite sure where Carla's getting the money for all of this, and B) on her own, independently of Simmons, she has enough stroke in the Family that she's got partial command of their Asian forces. As Geight said, the only real answer you can get in-game is that the Family is a centuries-old conspiracy that specifically derives its power and influence via financial manipulation, plus it's been established for years that there's a lot of money floating around the bioweapons black market (i.e. Wesker has his own stealth bomber in RE5). Apparently, that means Carla could put together a billion-dollar, green-energy underwater facility in or near Chinese territorial waters without anyone noticing.

There's another theory advanced in the files, which Ada also mentions in-game, that Carla is loving up in a lot of really significant ways because she doesn't really want to succeed. Her stated objective is to burn the world down around Simmons, since he's got such a hard-on for global stability, but if that was all she wanted, all she'd have had to do was stay undercover until the Haos was complete. Instead, she decides to launch an armed invasion of mainland China, right after deliberately finding and telling Ada all about it.

I figure it's yet another casualty of how they had to throw Chris's campaign together in a big hurry, because some executive decreed that it had to be in there.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Wanderer posted:

There's another theory advanced in the files, which Ada also mentions in-game, that Carla is loving up in a lot of really significant ways because she doesn't really want to succeed. Her stated objective is to burn the world down around Simmons, since he's got such a hard-on for global stability, but if that was all she wanted, all she'd have had to do was stay undercover until the Haos was complete. Instead, she decides to launch an armed invasion of mainland China, right after deliberately finding and telling Ada all about it.

I figure it's yet another casualty of how they had to throw Chris's campaign together in a big hurry, because some executive decreed that it had to be in there.

she also goes out of her way to piss off chris in edonia, reveal her name, j'avo, the c-virus AND neo-umbrella before the actual reveal was supposed to happen in the tall oaks attack. not to mention everything she does in china.

really i guess the entire chris campaign is just her failed attempts at suicide-by-punch

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

To be fair, the Tall Oaks attack isn't really on her. That's Simmons, whose motivations actually make some sense, and Carla's only involved in that she invented both the C-Virus and the big gas-venting eye monster that spread it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wanderer posted:

To be fair, the Tall Oaks attack isn't really on her. That's Simmons, whose motivations actually make some sense, and Carla's only involved in that she invented both the C-Virus and the big gas-venting eye monster that spread it.

oh yeah, isnt to cover up the families doings with BOWs and the president wanting out of the arms race.

Fereydun posted:

i mean, neo umbrella is a front of the US-based illuminati ("the family"), delegated to carla because she was both already simmons' second-in-command and a clone of ada
they're specifically named that as to evoke fear in the public worldwide so that the US can maintain control of the general global direction/policy. they have no actual relationship to umbrella and specifically are a front for a fake terrorist attack.
i guess the soldiers are mercs in the same vein as the USS except with a dose of that drone subservience thanks to the c-virus. there's a file that explains that deal where it's like they lose all sense of reasoning but maintain their intelligence or something along those lines. so they become like ants/bees/whatever which i guess also ties slightly into the bug-themed mutations

their reasoning for the continuation of carla's plan after she dies is actually in a file and it notes that there are humans working for her and fiercely loyal for whatever reason- everything in chris and jake/sherry's last mission is actually carla's backup plan if she dies. which is why HAOS is still greatly undeveloped rather than being a giant BOW that infects the earth's water supply with the c-virus.

the guys in edonia aren't with neo-umbrella but rather regular grade mercs fighting in civil war with the support of neo umbrella. neo umbrella is there to take out jake so they can prevent a cure for the c-virus from existing.
carla already betrayed simmons at that point (he's not aware of the betrayal until the china scenario begins) and ends up ignoring her orders of outright killing him in exchange for just capturing him and sherry to research in typical mad scientist fashion.

basically the RE universe is chock full of mad scientists who really want humanity to eat poo poo and are fiercely loyal to random super mad scientists i guess

I always assumed simmons was disposable to the family, like yeah he is high up as gently caress. but if he turns into speeder rex and gets impailed by a phalic then that's ok. plus his stupid creepy sex pervert ada fetish poo poo got them into the mess with carla to begin with.

also holy gently caress, i would never be a merc in the RE universe, sounds worse then working for batman villain. i would hate to see the small print on the contract.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh yeah, isnt to cover up the families doings with BOWs and the president wanting out of the arms race.

It gets kind of elaborate. Basically, RE3 established that one of the reasons why Umbrella got as far as it did was that it had a lot of government influence. That wasn't enough to prevent the Raccoon City bombing, but there was a lot of political fallout nonetheless, including the President resigning in disgrace in late 1998.

When Benford comes along (he was elected in 2008 as per the files, had been reelected in 2012, and apparently spent some time as Leon's mission control), he decides the best way to go forward with the fight against bio-terrorism is to just come clean. He was going to give a speech that disclosed the government's ties to Umbrella, getting it all out in the open. Simmons tries to talk him out of it, on the basis that it'd ruin the United States's authority and upend the status quo, but Benford can't be budged.

Thus, plan B: Simmons arranges for a convenient outbreak in Tall Oaks, and blackmails Helena, sending Benford's Secret Service detail on a wild goose chase and making sure Benford dies. The United States keeps its secrets and probably goes ham on bio-terrorism, which maintains Simmons's precious status quo. The problem is that while Simmons is distracted with his high-profile assassination, Carla decides to go ahead with her own plan, so he has to drop what he's doing and gently caress off to China.

Also, for the record, I think Neo-Umbrella is just Carla's organization and has nothing to do with the Family.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I always assumed simmons was disposable to the family, like yeah he is high up as gently caress. but if he turns into speeder rex and gets impailed by a phalic then that's ok. plus his stupid creepy sex pervert ada fetish poo poo got them into the mess with carla to begin with.

The files say that Simmons was a big deal in the Family, but yeah, he clearly wasn't the only person calling the shots for it. I always took that dude in the helicopter as a pink slip, since the same guy runs off to shoot Carla; the rest of the Family has decided that Simmons and his dollar-store Ada just cost them a few billion dollars and a possible apocalypse, so they're writing them both off.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

DreamShipWrecked posted:

RE 4-6 are like the star wars prequels. Its just best not to think about them.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Mr President posted:

RE 4-6 are like the star wars prequels. Because they are awesome.

Fixed that for you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mr President posted:

lol like it only started with 4

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Mr President posted:

clearly this president isn't leon's best bud

also neo umbrella is definitely part of simmons' deal since they're named that explicitly for the purpose of the tall oaks attacks and other stuff like it.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 19, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just want the Wolfpack to return. Beltway and Vector making GBS threads on literally everything the team did was amazing and we need more of it. :saddowns:

Beltway had an incredible potty mouth too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would legit buy an ORC2. I got my money's worth out of that game and I bought it at launch gently caress the haters.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I liked ORC, didn't like that the 2nd half was DLC though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I just want the Wolfpack to return. Beltway and Vector making GBS threads on literally everything the team did was amazing and we need more of it. :saddowns:

Beltway had an incredible potty mouth too.

to bad about the gameplay. then again i can't even play re 4 and 5 any more because the game controls have aged so badly :(

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Revelations handled the aspect of "how America would react to BOW usage becoming a widespread thing" a lot better than RE6 in many respects, they did a good job of having memorable characters along with a premise that actually followed through with itself and told you a neat little story. Both of the Revelations games have solid writing honestly, I hope RE7 keeps that up.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Revelations has a guy codenamed Forkball, I don't ask for much more.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Revelations has a guy codenamed Forkball, I don't ask for much more.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Good times when I did coop with Imp and he'd spam one of his clips.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Good times when I did coop with Imp and he'd spam one of his clips.

im buying you lunch

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
RE4 is such an awesome and such an influential game that a lot of the bad sentiment towards it surprises me. I mean if someone doesn't like it yeah whatever but the idea that it's somehow not an extremely well-made game is like saying Super Mario Bros. or Persona 3 or System Shock 2 are bad games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you don't spam a voice clip in Raid or Mercenaries you are clearly not optimizing your strategies.