Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

count me in for the new ad format being better. i actually suggested a music cue earlier in the thread, so i'm pumped to see it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PostNouveau posted:

The guy playing the soldier in charge of the Suicide Squad looks more like a trailer park meth addict than a soldier.

I thought that was intentional.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

well why not posted:

count me in for the new ad format being better. i actually suggested a music cue earlier in the thread, so i'm pumped to see it happen.

It was a great idea, and "Spanish Flea" is a great choice because my brain has a pavlovian association with that song and comedy, so I feel like I'm being entertained no matter what's happening during that song. Not that the guys aren't funny with their ads, they're about the best I've ever seen from podcasters. But I don't trust that I'd be able to tell either way.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
all comic book movies are bad and dumb but THIS IS KATANAAAAAAA I WOULD ADVISE NOT GETTING KILLED BY HER. HER SWORD TRAPS THE SOULS OF ITS VICTIMS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyyQLvj9LU
I just really love his stupid delivery in this stupid clip in this stupid movie

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Punkin Spunkin posted:

all comic book movies are bad and dumb but THIS IS KATANAAAAAAA I WOULD ADVISE NOT GETTING KILLED BY HER. HER SWORD TRAPS THE SOULS OF ITS VICTIMS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyyQLvj9LU
I just really love his stupid delivery in this stupid clip in this stupid movie

Me, an idiot: Oh so she's gonna have something to do with defeating/trapping the enchantress. Probably suck her right out along with the archeologists soul and she'll be the one the soldier guy hates at the end of this and maybe oh no the meth head soldier guy just crushed the heart thing and archeologist lady is still alive so whatever nothing matters

At least Heathens is an okay song.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Speaking of dumb scenes, Eric mentioned this one during the episode and it's laughably bad all the way through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjEzzX8Ajbw&t=4s

The Vosgian Beast posted:

An ideology which was apparently NOT about the quest for Lebensraum and racist ideology, but actually about how freedom is bad something something footage of Chavez and stock markets.

We just need to round up these nazis, who are apparently NOT racists, and make sure our crooked government is no longer infiltrated by these anti-freedom groups, and everything will be fine.

I always forget this thread is in CD.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

Speaking of dumb scenes, Eric mentioned this one during the episode and it's laughably bad all the way through.

That's even worse than I could have imagined.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You know, I just realized what that "Harley's Normal Life" dream sequence was actually a similar bit to a scene from the original "Mad Love" comic, which was the first appearance of Harley in a comic (after being in BtAS, of course)

Except that the movie misses what made that scene work in the comic:

...the fact that Harley would still be Harley, and that she loves the Joker because he's the Joker.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

JT Smiley posted:

I always forget this thread is in CD.

Could be worse. Could be DnD.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

JT Smiley posted:

This scene owns.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I do have to say, when it comes to the Joker as a character, it doesn't deserve much better than Leto and his performance. Ledger level comic book performances are the defining outliers as they should be. It's a character beloved by 13 year olds and Leto does that justice.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Evil Mastermind posted:

Except that the movie misses what made that scene work in the comic... the fact that Harley would still be Harley, and that she loves the Joker because he's the Joker.

I think you missed what they were going for in the movie. The point is that Enchantress doesn't get it. It's why Harley's reaction to the vision is "hmm, nah, I'm good honestly;" because the movie knows this, and it's just portraying Enchantress as not knowing it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

MariusLecter posted:

Me, an idiot: Oh so she's gonna have something to do with defeating/trapping the enchantress. Probably suck her right out along with the archeologists soul and she'll be the one the soldier guy hates at the end of this and maybe oh no the meth head soldier guy just crushed the heart thing and archeologist lady is still alive so whatever nothing matters

At least Heathens is an okay song.

No there are no payoffs in this movie

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

No there are no payoffs in this movie

Nothing represents this better than the fact that nothing thrown by the guy named "Captain Boomerang" ever returns to him.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jared Leto's joker reminds me of how the killer in a post-Scream also-ran slasher suddenly goes slapstick cuckoo when it's time for the reveal.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
When they made the Captain Planet joke I remembered that Katanna was in Geoforce, an even shittier version of The Outsiders.

I haven't seen the movie so in my head Amanda Waller was badass, because she is in the comics and the cartoons.

I used to know a B:TAS era Harley Quinn cosplayer who'd post long LiveJournal articles about her relationship with The Joker.

I feel like the Arkham games deserve some of the blame for the movie.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

well why not posted:

Completely agreed. It flowed so much better and felt far less forced in.

Count Chocula posted:

When they made the Captain Planet joke I remembered that Katanna was in Geoforce, an even shittier version of The Outsiders.

I kept thinking they were talking about Kitana and was sorely disappointed that we didn't get any weird Mortal Kombat impersonations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I didn't enjoy this new episode as much only because Suicide Squad sounds like criminally obnoxious. I shudder to think there's a movie released in 2016 that's worse than BvS.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Re-listening to the Earnest episode made me curious. What's the worst movie you guys have seen the most times? As in, one you didn't like even the first time but you just ended up seeing it over and over again for whatever reason (being couchridden with a hangover and the TV's on Comedy Central and the remote's far away, for instance)

For me it's probably WHM classic Jurassic Park: The Lost World. Forever taunted by that full-size Crackle bar...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Re-listening to the Earnest episode made me curious. What's the worst movie you guys have seen the most times? As in, one you didn't like even the first time but you just ended up seeing it over and over again for whatever reason (being couchridden with a hangover and the TV's on Comedy Central and the remote's far away, for instance)

For me it's probably WHM classic Jurassic Park: The Lost World. Forever taunted by that full-size Crackle bar...

Spawn. Easily.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Space Jam was put on way too many times during the "we ain't gotta teach poo poo" periods of secondary school.

It's that or the Land Before Time sequels. Basically all animated garbage.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For me, it's Space Jam...but while I've seen it God knows how many times, I've only seen in it in random two-minute segments.

I used to sell furniture for a living, and that DVD was on eternal loop in the kid's furniture section. So every time I went through that part of the store looking for customers, I'd see whatever bit of the movie was playing at the time. Seeing it that way really does highlight how bad Jordan was at acting against things that weren't there, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Evil Mastermind posted:

For me, it's Space Jam...but while I've seen it God knows how many times, I've only seen in it in random two-minute segments.

I used to sell furniture for a living, and that DVD was on eternal loop in the kid's furniture section. So every time I went through that part of the store looking for customers, I'd see whatever bit of the movie was playing at the time. Seeing it that way really does highlight how bad Jordan was at acting against things that weren't there, though.

Or, at all

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Space Jam here too. 90s kids remember teachers who have given up and checked out the copy of spacejam from the library, never to be returned.

Listening to the Dreamcatcher episode again and I remembered that when they go looking for "friction tape" I thought for a long time they meant self grip first aid wrap. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Or, at all
Oh, of course, but man it's amazing how he can't keep a sightline or deliver a simple line of dialog like a human being. You can tell that after a certain point they just gave up trying to get him to do anything that involved remotely interacting with the animated characters because all his reaction shots are just tight close-ups of his face.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I've seen Master of Disguise more than once, so I guess that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

There was a Thanksgiving where I went to my parents house. They don't have Internet and reception is super spotty, so my options for entertaining myself were super limited. I think I saw Wild Wild West four times that weekend because TNT kept playing it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

White elephant party at Christmas, traditional celebration. The gag gift I brought was a copy of Gigli. I ended up with my own copy of Gigli thanks to the way the game worked out. Lots of people have noticed it on my DVD shelf, asked why the gently caress I have a copy of Gigli, then wanted to watch it to see how bad it is. I have seen Gigli upwards of 10 times. It's loving bad. Don't watch Gigli.

E: Since it was a fate I made for myself, I feel like I can't throw it away. My penance for trying to gift someone else Gigli as a joke is that I periodically have to watch it myself.

it's turkey time. gobble gobble.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 19, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DoubleCakes posted:

I shudder to think there's a movie released in 2016 that's worse than BvS.

Suicide Squad is worse because there are so many points where you could see how it was this close to being a much, much better movie but they just keep whiffing it over and over. B v S was always going to be an overstuffed stopgap on the way to a Justice League movie but if Suicide Squad hadn't hadn't ended with a giant light shooting into the sky like every other superhero movie or had had more or less of any one character or more competent writer or editor or less executive meddling it could have been a really fun and different superhero movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Characters in Batman v Superman have actual arcs and the film feels like a continuation of Man of Steel (and hopefully the lead in from Batman v Superman in Justice League is just as good). Suicide Squad should have cut half the cast, focused on a few of them and have them be anti-heroes doing dirty business rather than save the world poo poo that's totally inappropriate for their characters.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly, I think Suicide Squad was pretty much doomed as a movie from the get-go because the original concept kind of relied on the fact that the characters had ties to the larger DCU, and as such didn't have to spend as much time setting up who Deadshot or Boomer or whoever were than in a movie where everyone is a "new" character. Plus with a monthly comic you have more time to set up everyone's personalities and establish relationships.

The whole thing would probably have worked better as a streaming show than as a standalone film.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
My comparison is that Suicide Squad is a bad movie where they misfired on any interesting ideas that could've been pulled from it; however, Batman v Superman is just really loving bizarre. It's not only 4 or 5 bad movies Frankensteined together, but it has an off the rails for no real reason performance by Eisenberg, the weirdest ending to a battle I've seen, and it's completely void of any attempt at humor to lighten things up.

It's easy to poo poo on Suicide Squad because it's just a bad movie, but there's fundamental issues with Batman v Superman that I don't even know where to begin with. I guess it's better than Suicide Squad because I find it so interesting on that level, but they're both awful movies.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's easy to trace a path of Suicide Squad being a more sober film to its release. Just watch the first trailer from the last trailer, the arc is clear as crystal. Batman v Superman at least has a vision, one that radically changes between the two cuts of the film, but it worked for me and it's an easy movie to look in-depth at because of the visuals alone. Suicide Squad just doesn't have that. The only interesting character who has any sort of growth is killed at the end and there really isn't much to grab on to because all the characters just aren't that interesting. I mean, I guess you can talk at length of how terrible the depiction of the Harley/Joker relationship is in the movie and how wrong it is, but that's about it. The comic book movie megathread is a good place to chat about all the films because you'll get some interesting discourse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Suicide Squad is a good hangover/tall glass of water movie. My wife and I both loved it, while also recognizing it is deeply flawed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The whole thing would probably have worked better as a streaming show than as a standalone film.

I haven't seen it in a while, but I'm fairly certain the 30 minute Justice League episode with the Suicide Squad did a fairly good job encapsulating the concept, with a plot that actually made sense for the Suicide Squad. It didn't have much in the way of character arcs, but it's not like I needed to know anything about Deadshot besides "guy who shoots good."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't seen it in a while, but I'm fairly certain the 30 minute Justice League episode with the Suicide Squad did a fairly good job encapsulating the concept, with a plot that actually made sense for the Suicide Squad. It didn't have much in the way of character arcs, but it's not like I needed to know anything about Deadshot besides "guy who shoots good."
I actually finished a re-watch of the cartoon, and yeah it did a really good job with establishing everyone. It helped that it kept everyone kind of broad-strokes and didn't try to push the characterizations any more then they had to.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I actually finished a re-watch of the cartoon, and yeah it did a really good job with establishing everyone. It helped that it kept everyone kind of broad-strokes and didn't try to push the characterizations any more then they had to.

Wait, how can you have a character in a movie without repeated flashbacks to set up their origin, motivation and how they got into the position they are in at the start of the movie?
Seriously tho, I wonder how SS would flow without any of the flashbacks.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GrandpaPants posted:

The live action DC shows on The CW also did Suicide Squad episodes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly, I think Suicide Squad was pretty much doomed as a movie from the get-go because the original concept kind of relied on the fact that the characters had ties to the larger DCU, and as such didn't have to spend as much time setting up who Deadshot or Boomer or whoever were than in a movie where everyone is a "new" character. Plus with a monthly comic you have more time to set up everyone's personalities and establish relationships.

You can still make it work, but it requires a skilled writer to strip people down to the bare minimum. If you were going with, say, Deadshot from the comics, here's the things the audience needs to know:
  • He wants to die gloriously in battle.
  • He takes unnecessary risks that endanger the team because he wants to die gloriously in battle.
That's it. You can get that done with a couple lines of dialogue and an action scene where Deadshot takes some unnecessary risk that endangers everyone and then gets a stern talking to after or whatever. From there, you can spin any kind of plot you want: maybe he learns that living and fighting is better than dying; maybe he learns the value of teamwork; maybe he doesn't give a rip and goes down in a blaze of glory.

The issue with Suicide Squad is that it's trying to follow the source material too closely and thus feels it has to agonizingly describe every aspect of each character's backstory. Comics are able to do this because of the medium (and their serialized nature). If you're turning it into a movie, you need to boil everyone down to some kind of central desire and how they interact with the rest of the team on their way to getting that desire. I genuinely don't need to know how Harley Quinn became Harley Quinn. Gimme a line like, "I used to be a psychiatrist, until I discovered being crazy was more fun!" or some horseshit, have a few moments of tense interaction that clue us in to what kind of relationship Joker/Quinn are in, and that's all that's necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think the real issues for the movie were that it apparently got written in just a few weeks, and then had meddling from all sides thrown in. Like, Enchantress is probably the biggest single element you can look at and strap the bad decisions to. But it almost feels like some sort of mandate came down that the big bad in the movie had to be a huge spectacle and tie into the team, which kind of lead to her inclusion.

If you're introducing the Squad, probably the best bet would have been to drop Enchantress entirely then use the rest of the cast for some sort of heist type movie. Somewhere in a matrix between The Town, Ocean's 11, 3 Kings, and Escape From New York set in the insane world of DC. poo poo, you could even make their mission be to get the book of Iranian Secrets or something.