Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Superrodan posted:

Apparently Lin-Manuel Miranda is a West Wing fan and worked with the podcast guys to make this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TTD5-3fuZE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Yeah Series of Unfortunate Events felt Dahl-ish, so what I saw so far was fine to me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It only makes that Lin is a West Wing fan, because that show and Hamilton are both what haughty lib dipshits consider to be the height of 21st century pop culture

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Um, what

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
There is a weekly West Wing podcast in 2017?

get that OUT of my face posted:

It only makes that Lin is a West Wing fan, because that show and Hamilton are both what haughty lib dipshits consider to be the height of 21st century pop culture

Holy poo poo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

As long as there is an internet, there will always be a use for this image.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, Amazon Video. So much for that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is not a politics thread, so you can just go ahead and take that poo poo somewhere else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deputy Gutterson just showed up. Sneaky Pete is a winner.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Looten Plunder posted:

There is a weekly West Wing podcast in 2017?
its pretty good, except when Molina ruined the Noel episode because he was too shook about Trump winning

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Weekly reminder to watch Man Seeking Woman if you haven't already.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

I've only seen the first 1.5 episodes but Detective Tim is another Justified Alumn.

It's also a bit of a "The Wire" love fest as well with plenty of familiar faces appearing in this as well.

It was also awesome to see Martha again.

Wasn't aware Cranston was in Justified

Thanks Captain Literal. I'd moved on from that.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, Amazon Video. So much for that.

How in the hell is geolocking content on a goddamn video streaming service is still a thing in 2017? Prime video has just launched in our country a month or two ago, and Sneaky Pete is not in the lineup. I get it with other studios' material (well, I accept it, I don't actually get it), but when Amazon makes the loving content, why can't I use my Amazon subscription to watch it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jim DiGriz posted:

How in the hell is geolocking content on a goddamn video streaming service is still a thing in 2017? Prime video has just launched in our country a month or two ago, and Sneaky Pete is not in the lineup. I get it with other studios' material (well, I accept it, I don't actually get it), but when Amazon makes the loving content, why can't I use my Amazon subscription to watch it?

The video services don't decide that. The studios do. Sneaky Pete is a co-production with Sony TV. It means that Sony is distributing it elsewhere. So Sony is who you blame, not Amazon.

When in doubt, always blame Sony.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

To add to that, Sony is also making the Emoji Movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah the movie where Patrick Stewart plays a poop

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

Generations was 22 years ago, dude.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The video services don't decide that. The studios do. Sneaky Pete is a co-production with Sony TV. It means that Sony is distributing it elsewhere. So Sony is who you blame, not Amazon.

When in doubt, always blame Sony.

Ah, I thought it was a 100% Amazon production. That's slightly more understandable.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yer Burnt posted:

15 years from now we'll be getting some Trump-based miniseries and I already hate everything.

That's nothing, just wait until we get the oscar-bait drama movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are already Boston Marathon bombing movies. Trump movies? Try next year.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

Well...you mean MORE Trump movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFjzFa7tgvg

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, there's no way that Danny Strong isn't already working on a screenplay for HBO about the 2016 election right now, probably with a focus on Hillary's campaign.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jim DiGriz posted:

I didn't even check if it's actually on there, Amazon sucks in Canada so I have no incentive to sign up for Prime.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Thank you, guys, for getting my rear end on The Mick. I was going to pass after Sepinwall's unenthusiastic review of it, but the first two episodes are great, and the third, "The Buffer," is off the loving rails for a network sitcom. I was won over the minute Mick's skeezy boyfriend started talking about how the age of consent was 16 in Connecticut.

EDIT: The best part is how the two older kids kinda suck in their own ways, so it's kind of satisfying to see them eat poo poo whenever Mick gets involved.

Episode 4 is even better.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't even check if it's actually on there, Amazon sucks in Canada so I have no incentive to sign up for Prime.

I kinda sucks here, too, but it's got a couple of movies I've always wanted to watch but not enough to actually buy them or whatever. And maybe they'll expand the lineup eventually.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least in the US Prime is worth it just for the shipping stuff, making the video just a bonus.

In Canada Amazon's selection and prices aren't very good, so unless you shop for the few things they do well (books, movies) a whole lot it's not worth it.

It's like that in a lot of non-US/UK markets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, Amazon has announced that they're doing the adaptation of the Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett novel Good Omens to be released next year but in an interesting twist Gaiman will be writing all the episodes himself and will be serving as showrunner. While he's done some writing for TV before this is most he's been hands on with a production.

For those who haven't read the book, it is a comic take on the Biblical apocalypse starring an angel, a demon, a modern day witch hunter, the four horsepeople of the Apocalypse, the descendant of a woman who wrote a completely accurate book of prophecy and an 11 year old boy growing up in rural England who just happens to be the Antichrist. It was one of my favorite books growing up so I'm super excited.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
We got an Oliver Stone movie about George W Bush when get was still in office and The Newsroom was only a couple of years behind the real world, no way we're not going to have way too many film and television people tripping over themselves to pee pee doo doo he is a bad president about Trump as soon as possible.

Escobarbarian posted:

The fact that 💩 isn't being voiced by a black person is way more credit than I was willing to give the Emoji Movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

So, Amazon has announced that they're doing the adaptation of the Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett novel Good Omens to be released next year but in an interesting twist Gaiman will be writing all the episodes himself and will be serving as showrunner. While he's done some writing for TV before this is most he's been hands on with a production.

For those who haven't read the book, it is a comic take on the Biblical apocalypse starring an angel, a demon, a modern day witch hunter, the four horsepeople of the Apocalypse, the descendant of a woman who wrote a completely accurate book of prophecy and an 11 year old boy growing up in rural England who just happens to be the Antichrist. It was one of my favorite books growing up so I'm super excited.

Oooooh, two Neil shows! Now if only we can get HBO to pick up a Sandman series.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

What have we got on tv these days that's in the spirit of Justified?

Animal Kingdom, Shut Eye?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

Animal Kingdom, Shut Eye?

Sell me on Shut Eye.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

So, Amazon has announced that they're doing the adaptation of the Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett novel Good Omens to be released next year but in an interesting twist Gaiman will be writing all the episodes himself and will be serving as showrunner.

OH MY GOD IT'S HAPPENING

PLEASE LET IT HAPPEN

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Sell me on Shut Eye.

Michael Weston is a psychic, who, because psychic's aren't real, is a profession scammer. He used to be a professional magic trick designer for stage magicians. He is involved in some light organized crime with a Romani(Roma?) crime family. I don't know if these exist or how racist the show is against gypsies. Early spoilers: A concussion causes the main character to start having real psychic visions. Which are actually handled really well, I think.

I binged it right after I binged Chance. it's not as good as Chance, but it's solid. Some good characters. Some humor, but not a lot. Good cast. Some brutal violence. A lot of kind of sad themes, since, as psychics, they prey on people's emotional weaknesses for profit.

If you're going to watch one new Hulu original 10 episode series, watch Chance.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Given Gaiman's stated feelings about the book and collaborating with Pratchett and getting a note after his death asking Gaiman to make it anyway without him and all that, the phrase "cold dead hands" probably came up in negotiations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Sell me on Shut Eye.

Jeffrey Donovan stars in it, the guy who managed to carry Burn Notice for umpteenth seasons, and played the excellent bad guy in the second season of Fargo. He faces off against another alum from Fargo, Bear, who here plays the patriach of a ruthless Romanian crime family that runs psychic shops in L.A.

It's basically riffs off Fistful of Dollars, as a small-time conman/magician tries to keep his head above water, while plotting against various crime type figures, all the while balancing his home life (enabled by his wife, who's just loving feroicous) and trying to get rich.

It's got good dialogue, a look into a world I'm sure as hell not familiar with (there's a lot of stuff about the Roma that turns the culture away from being the one note stereotype we're all used to, while emphasizing how different the lifestyle could be), and a season long plotline that largely wraps satisfactorily.

It's good daylight noir/light Elmore Leonard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shut Eye sounds great. Chance is next, then I'll give that a go. Sneaky Pete is amazing, everyone please watch it.

In sad news, Miguel Ferrer has passed away. He was one of my favorite "Hey it's that guy!" actors ever since Robocop. He was only 61.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just watched episode 4 of Sneaky Pete

:stare:

This is a good show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yep Sneaky Pete is good and I think if you like it, there's a solid chance you'll like Shut Eye as well.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Seven eps into Sneaky Pete, it's like they said "let's get all those great supporting character actors from other shows together and let them be the stars for once". And they did, and it was good. It was real drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What's the general opinion on 4K? I'm in the market to buy a new tv and probably won't be again for several years, is it worth it to spring for a 4K display at this point? I don't currently have anything that outputs at 4K but who knows a year from now.

• Locked thread