Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Can confirm, WWE Network is on Roku and it SUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baby Babbeh posted:

Can confirm, WWE Network is on Roku and it SUCKS

Works fine for me?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

One dirt sheet said Apple TV and chrome cast so lol that it isn't supported yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But like, the only other apps I have that aren't chrome cast supported are all obvious rights/conflict of interests issues like Amazon or sports.

I actually thought WWE was chrome cast supported. This puts a damper on my plans to make the annual purchase of the WWE App for WM season. I've become way too pampered with chromecast and dread having to try and stream through my Playstation on WiFi again.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Got an offer via email today for network free through to April 16.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Same. Listened to Bruno talk about fighting an organutan for $50 and then not getting paid.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Xerzes posted:

Same. Listened to Bruno talk about fighting an organutan for $50 and then not getting paid.

Where is this from? His HOF speech? I wanna hear this.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

Where is this from? His HOF speech? I wanna hear this.

One of the Story Time episodes. "Before the ring" or something, the thumbnail was a cartoon Miz on a couch with his mom.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xerzes posted:

One of the Story Time episodes. "Before the ring" or something, the thumbnail was a cartoon Miz on a couch with his mom.

I like that Miz is so generic looking that the only way the animation makes it clear it's him is that he's wearing a hoodie that has his own name on it.

At least Becky got her steampunk goggles.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Works fine for me?

It works fine, it's just the UI is crap. I also have it on my PS4 in the other room and the PS4 app is a lot easier to navigate.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That Story Time with the Bruno story finishes with an AMAZING story of Paul E driving home with Freddie Blassie before Paul really broke into the business as a performer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Took up the free offer, haven't watched like any wresting in at least a year, maybe two. What's a must-watch?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

flatluigi posted:

Took up the free offer, haven't watched like any wresting in at least a year, maybe two. What's a must-watch?

The NXT Takeover shows are all good

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The CWC, most of the upper-card for the NXT Takeovers. Anything with AJ Styles since May-ish. The UK tournament.
The women's match from WM. Miz-Ziggler from No Mercy. Sami-Owens from Battleground.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Beast in the East was a one-off show they did in Japan - that was good

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, Sasha and Charlotte have had a bunch of great Raw main events, though their PPV matches tend to top at pretty good.

Edit: Talking Smack sounds like the worst idea for Network content ever but because it's mostly unscripted promos, it's been actually pretty fantastic most of the time.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 18, 2017

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I'm watching in your house 4: Great White North, and theres some dude in the front row dressed as Dracula that is distracting me in every match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

That Story Time with the Bruno story finishes with an AMAZING story of Paul E driving home with Freddie Blassie before Paul really broke into the business as a performer.

I haven't seen that Story Time but I have heard Paul tell that story before and it really is loving amazing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I watched all six episodes of Story Time for the first time last night and really enjoyed them. I hope they make more at some point.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We couldn't even get past the Flair segment, it was so loving depressing and pathetic. An old drunk slurring his way through a bullshit story from thirty years ago.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

We couldn't even get past the Flair segment, it was so loving depressing and pathetic. An old drunk slurring his way through a bullshit story from thirty years ago.

oh come on, he wasn't slurring.

He was doing that because he was ACTING like an old drunk slurring through the story to enhance it.

edit: that's what i tell myself anyway

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baby Babbeh posted:

It works fine, it's just the UI is crap. I also have it on my PS4 in the other room and the PS4 app is a lot easier to navigate.

Oh, yeah. Same with Roku vs. Xbox One.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
It's amazing how varied the UI is from system to system.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Watching Wrestlemania 27 -- not a great show overall. Disfigured Cody Rhodes vs. Mysterio is a pretty good match, Randy vs. Punk is fun but nothing special with a great "RKO out of nowhere" finish where CM Punk counters a flash RKO from an injured Orton, acts super relieved, then walks right into another one as he tries to go in for the kill. But then we get to King vs. Heel Cole which... dear god, what a phenomenal waste of time this was. This whole segment lasted nearly 20 minutes counting intros, Cole cowering, and celebrations! Michael Cole's ring gear makes him look uncannily like Steve Carrel playing John Dupont in Foxcatcher. I've seen offense more convincing from 9 year olds in backyard feds. King wins, and then the anonymous GM loving DISQUALIFIES HIM and awards the win to Cole. Because we've got to loving continue this amazing feud, can't blow it off at Wrestlemania.

Who on earth thought this was a good idea? Have there ever been any shoot interviews about this angle? I'm absolutely baffled as to why anyone thought it would work.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Whenever there is an obnoxiously or offensively long angle or gimmick that goes on way, WAY longer than it should have it's likely a Vince Idea that nobody can shoot down. Also, this went on for two more months which just...I dunno.

Yes, WrestleMania 27 was pretty bad and it usually ranks in the Bottom 5 WrestleMania lists I've seen.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wagnike2 posted:

It's amazing how varied the UI is from system to system.

The problem is that on the Roku there's nothing that can effectively function as a "chapter skip", while there is on console because there are more buttons.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

Watching Wrestlemania 27 -- not a great show overall. Disfigured Cody Rhodes vs. Mysterio is a pretty good match, Randy vs. Punk is fun but nothing special with a great "RKO out of nowhere" finish where CM Punk counters a flash RKO from an injured Orton, acts super relieved, then walks right into another one as he tries to go in for the kill. But then we get to King vs. Heel Cole which... dear god, what a phenomenal waste of time this was. This whole segment lasted nearly 20 minutes counting intros, Cole cowering, and celebrations! Michael Cole's ring gear makes him look uncannily like Steve Carrel playing John Dupont in Foxcatcher. I've seen offense more convincing from 9 year olds in backyard feds. King wins, and then the anonymous GM loving DISQUALIFIES HIM and awards the win to Cole. Because we've got to loving continue this amazing feud, can't blow it off at Wrestlemania.

Who on earth thought this was a good idea? Have there ever been any shoot interviews about this angle? I'm absolutely baffled as to why anyone thought it would work.

If you were watching the weekly TV at this time, what made it worse was that Heel Cole was even more unbearable than Regular Cole.

As far as angles that went on too long, that's also very much Vince vs. Shawn.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

The one thing that was fun about Heel Cole was hearing him do generic play-by-play announcer "face-in-peril" calls whenever Mysterio got the upper hand in his match with Cody.

*Mysterio gets fed up, tears off Cody's clear plastic mask, puts it on and headbutts him

Cole: No Rey! No! Not like this!

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 19, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baby Babbeh posted:

Cole vs Lawler was doing big quarter hour ratings so they wanted to drag it out, but had booked themselves into a corner given the ref.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

dont even fink about it posted:

If you were watching the weekly TV at this time, what made it worse was that Heel Cole was even more unbearable than Regular Cole.

As far as angles that went on too long, that's also very much Vince vs. Shawn.

I really think that whole Cole vs Lawler and the general Cole vs Bryan and Heel Cole stuff was what drove me away from being a weekly viewer. Like, I just think back to that separate booth Cole had and that loving laptop podium. I feel like it just became too much to take for 3 hours every week. A bad main event or title picture is one thing, but an all encompassing announcer gimmick is just ever present.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm still mad the WM match didn't end with Lawler piledriving Cole back to being a bland babyface PBP guy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I really think that whole Cole vs Lawler and the general Cole vs Bryan and Heel Cole stuff was what drove me away from being a weekly viewer. Like, I just think back to that separate booth Cole had and that loving laptop podium. I feel like it just became too much to take for 3 hours every week. A bad main event or title picture is one thing, but an all encompassing announcer gimmick is just ever present.

I put more time into Botchamania than I do regular programming of any kind these days.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cole doing the Anonymous RAW GM announcements was legit loving heat

They really should have just had Cole end up being revealed as the GM

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Cole doing the Anonymous RAW GM announcements was legit loving heat

They really should have just had Cole end up being revealed as the GM

Worst part of that is when they clearly showed Cole was reading off a sheet in front of the laptop and not anything that was actually on the laptop screen. It kinda of ruined any suspension of disbelief.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DM Punk posted:

Worst part of that is when they clearly showed Cole was reading off a sheet in front of the laptop and not anything that was actually on the laptop screen. It kinda of ruined any suspension of disbelief.

Yeah that's what did it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
imo Wrestlemania 27 marked the real turning point of the show being built around part-timers. You had a title match where all the focus was on The Rock, and Undertaker transitioning to a special attraction guy, going up against Triple H who was undergoing the same transition himself. This was all on top of the usual "special guest" spot already being filled by Stone Cold in the King/Cole match.

Fast forward 1 year and they'd be building toward the 2nd Rock/Cena match and re-debuting Brock. Wrestlemania hasn't really been about paying off the week-to-week main roster action ever since.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Can someone else watch these episodes of Smackdown and Raw and tell me I'm not crazy and Kurt Angle's music really has been edited?

http://network.wwe.com/video/v32650..._play_via_click

http://network.wwe.com/video/v53660..._play_via_click

The first one Angle's entrance is at about 4 minutes and the second one its at about an hour plus 4 minutes.

I can't find uploaded broadcast copies to check if this is original or something they changed for the network. I just can't imagine why they would edit the sound. The "You Suck," chants were barely a thing yet, and even if they were trying to erase them because Kurt's going into the hall you can't possibly erase them from the 03-05 period, he constantly references them in his promos.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
The sound is all messed up on that, but there WAS a version of that theme on the Anthology album, but didn't it come out like 2 years after this?

I know in 2006 or so they edited Kurt's theme so the part with the You-Suckable rhythm was removed and went from this weirdly syncopated version of the opening straight to the chorus. The crowd literally couldn't chant along, the part was gone.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
During his brief face run in 2001 they gave him this rock version, pretty sure that's what's in the video you shared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_s_-F28D6A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

TL posted:

During his brief face run in 2001 they gave him this rock version, pretty sure that's what's in the video you shared:

Nah, I'm pretty sure it was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILOybh-X4UA