Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Outrail posted:

I've heard more then one comment t along the lines of 'I'd rather any American citizen between the ages of ~35-60 picked at random than Trump. No take backs'. And at least one of them was cognizant that the average person is a terrible choice for president.

I'm picturing this unfolding as a Hunger Games scenario but with grown-ups and it's pretty appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I still like the idea of picking only a single vote at random, and that vote decides the entire election. Hell, you could even combine it with a ranked sort of voting system by giving everyone 10 votes and letting them distribute those votes however they want

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sentient Data posted:

I still like the idea of picking only a single vote at random, and that vote decides the entire election.

Asimov did something similar in “Franchise”.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
All nominees fight to the death, but the one that had the most votes gets cooler weapons. Least votes gets like a butter knife or something.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I'd be pretty cool with Congress being selected at random from the population. Serving in legislature would be like Jury Duty (except saying something super racist wouldn't get you disqualified, I imagine).

I mean, it doesn't now...

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Honestly, it can't be much worse than the current system

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

This would be fine if there were any sort of graphical consistency between percentages. When you get into the regions that are more vegetarian than not, it becomes a mess. And the worst one is smack dab in the center.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CellBlock posted:

I'd be pretty cool with Congress being selected at random from the population. Serving in legislature would be like Jury Duty (except saying something super racist wouldn't get you disqualified, I imagine).

I mean, it doesn't now...

Bring back Venetian democracy imo

Wikipedia posted:

New regulations for the elections of the doge introduced in 1268 remained in force until the end of the republic in 1797. Their object was to minimize as far as possible the influence of individual great families, and this was effected by a complex elective machinery. Thirty members of the Great Council, chosen by lot, were reduced by lot to nine; the nine chose forty and the forty were reduced by lot to twelve, who chose twenty-five. The twenty-five were reduced by lot to nine and the nine elected forty-five. Then the forty-five were once more reduced by lot to eleven, and the eleven finally chose the forty-one who actually elected the doge.[1] None could be elected but by at least twenty-five votes out of forty-one, nine votes out of eleven or twelve, or seven votes out of nine electors.[3] A detailed description of this process, and the ceremonial procession that followed, is preserved in Martin Da Canale's work Les Estoires de Venise (English translation by Laura K. Morreale, Padua 2009).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

e: nevermind

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Bring back Venetian democracy imo

I wouldn't mind having a Doge as my ruler.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Much democracy. Wow.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

trapped mouse posted:

This would be fine if there were any sort of graphical consistency between percentages. When you get into the regions that are more vegetarian than not, it becomes a mess. And the worst one is smack dab in the center.

I think the worst one is probably the far left (Gujarat), with its total of 100.45%.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

trapped mouse posted:

It's that centre one that's the biggest clue to how it works. The circle sizes don't represent 100%, they represent the larger of the two percentages. So for that middle one, the outer circle is green because it's the larger percentage (50.6) and the inner circle takes up most of it because 49.4/50.6 is 97.6%.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Or rather, they're two different circles (one on top of the other), each sized according to the value they're displaying. It's used quite frequently in infographics because you can look at it and immediately get a sense of the relative scale of different things.

Needless to say, it's a completely inappropriate way to show percentages.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Okay, I'm looking at the article attached to this... correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like the whole "a toddler has shot someone every week for two years straight," is actually a misrepresented stat: there have been >51 shootings in 2015 and 2016, but weeks have gone by without a toddler shooting someone.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Yeah, it's the same thing as when folks say "there's a baby born every minute!" Or "every 5 minutes, someone gets into a car accident". It's just a journalistic way of making statistics relatable.

It bugs me too, but it's a thing

Edit: also, that one toddler is a menace and ought to be stopped.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Edit: also, that one toddler is a menace and ought to be stopped.

Probably Jeff. loving rear end in a top hat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I came across this in the schadenfreude thread.

I’m not clear on what it depicts, but I do know that it’s awful and a graph.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Based on the words on there, something about Chris-chan, Sonic, and Sonichu? Maybe? That's my best guess.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Because of SA I know this is a Chris-chan timeline. Thanks, internet. :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheKennedys posted:

Because of SA I know this is a Chris-chan timeline. Thanks, internet. :(

The internet makes you... smart?..

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I had no idea there were still people out there with a weird obsession over Chris-chan's life.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Some of the key people behind the CWCwiki are now Stalinist trolls on Twitter.

Harassing people with mental disabilities as radical praxis, I guess.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012
Found this in the Design Museum in London. Bear in mind this museum is literally about good design

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Finally, a type of bar chart I can read whether I am getting a swirley, pinned to the table getting my lunch money stolen, or the rare occasions I can stand straight up without being bullied.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://trump.kimalbrecht.com/network/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Soooo...

10?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
No, 10.0

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Piell posted:

No, 10.0

Well, color me embarrassed!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My old Physical Chemistry lecturer is probably turning in her grave right now over this gross abuse of significant figures.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

My old Physical Chemistry lecturer is probably turning in her grave right now over this gross abuse of significant figures.

My high school chemistry teacher is doing the same, probably.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

why though ?! why a graph ???

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fathis Munk posted:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Text isn't going to fill out that twenty page minimum document.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I feel like there's a special hell for people who have one data point and decide it needs to be graphed.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

.0 !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like there's a special hell for people who have one data point and decide it needs to be graphed.

Bonus points for making it one of those bar graphs which are 3D for no reason.