Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Oh sweet gently caress:
http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/kv-racing-in-talks-with-maldonado-866653/

quote:

Former Formula 1 driver and race-winner Pastor Maldonado is currently in negotiations with KV Racing, as the team seeks a way to stay on the Verizon IndyCar Series grid in 2017.

Motorsport.com has learned that the Venezuelan is pursuing a road and street course program with the Kevin Kalkhoven/Jimmy Vasser-owned squad, which has scored four wins over the past three seasons with Sebastien Bourdais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Time to restart the KV Crash Counter for 2017!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9BmgSit9cA

I love that they had two crashes in the first turn of the first lap of the season. :allears:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 18, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:getin:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Oh baby.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BIG PASTOR

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

God yes.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Is there any crowdfunding?

Because I'm going to NEED to see Pastor at Indy.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He doesn't wanna do ovals, unfortunately.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

He didn't want his cousin to get trapped in a fiery garage, but when the time came he did his loving duty.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I need him on an oval

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I have a feeling if he signs, they'll at least try to arrange to get him onto an oval for testing the waters. Something smaller like Phoenix or Iowa.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Coletti tweeted about IndyCar for the first time in forever today with this, too:

https://twitter.com/stefanocoletti/status/821847353707626497

Coletti+Maldonado, what a KV Racing combo that would be.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
Please make it happen KV. It will be worth it just to see the revival of hasmaldonadocrashedtoday.com

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Buy all the shares of Dallara stock.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/carlin-unlikely-to-enter-indycar-in-2017-866639/

quote:

Trevor Carlin has admitted that the chances of a KV Racing-Carlin partnership this season are now looking remote, having failed to land Mikhail Aleshin.

Carlin told Motorsport.com: “Through circumstances, 2017 seems to have slipped away from us. It’s getting so late, it would be hard to put a team together now – not impossible, but very difficult.
This also means a KV-C team could have theoretically been SeaBass, Aleshin and Maldonado.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

gret posted:

Buy all the shares of Dallara stock.

worldwide carbon fiber shortage

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm for KVSH surviving, so this is a good move if it goes to plan.

Also the hilarity of seeing Pastor in an IndyCar might be worth seeing things.

Also why does Trackforum/Crapwagon believe that CART was starting to get on "equal" footing with F1 during the mid 90's? Every F1 fan (from outside of the US) I've ran into has said the opposite. I can maybe see pockets of growth within Japan, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Australia and a few South American countries. But the concept of some guy who followed Senna, Prost and Mansell turning the TV to watch the series run at Elkhart Lake on premium cable seems a bit odd.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Senna started making eyes had a lovely contract with McLaren and Marlboro whispered "Penske" to him to aim towards the US, Mansell threw his toys out of the peak with legendary man-manager Frank Williams, and there was coincidentally a good generation of IndyCar happening at the same time.

I don't think it was *that* serious a threat, but considering what Max and Bernie did to the World Sportscar Championship and Group C - because they wanted those manufacturers in F1, not sports cars - and it says more about him than American open wheel.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 19, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I have a feeling if he signs, they'll at least try to arrange to get him onto an oval for testing the waters. Something smaller like Phoenix or Iowa.

He was at the Iowa race last year, and I remember hearing him say that he had no interest in being a man ovals

Dudley posted:

Is there any crowdfunding?

Because I'm going to NEED to see Pastor at Indy.

He'll be at the Indy GP if that counts :downs:

Although once you're at The Happiest Place on Earth during the Month of May, there has to be some sort of temptation and hopefully he'll come to his senses if he hasn't already ruined his car during Indy GP weekend...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm for KVSH surviving, so this is a good move if it goes to plan.

Also the hilarity of seeing Pastor in an IndyCar might be worth seeing things.

Also why does Trackforum/Crapwagon believe that CART was starting to get on "equal" footing with F1 during the mid 90's? Every F1 fan (from outside of the US) I've ran into has said the opposite. I can maybe see pockets of growth within Japan, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Australia and a few South American countries. But the concept of some guy who followed Senna, Prost and Mansell turning the TV to watch the series run at Elkhart Lake on premium cable seems a bit odd.

Mansell moving to CART had a huge effect and the sport got a lot of attention in the U.K.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Mansell moving to CART had a huge effect and the sport got a lot of attention in the U.K.

That's what I'm honestly trying to figure out.

Were F1 fans following him over there or were they kinda shrugging their shoulders?

harperdc posted:

Senna started making eyes had a lovely contract with McLaren and Marlboro whispered "Penske" to him to aim towards the US, Mansell threw his toys out of the peak with legendary man-manager Frank Williams, and there was coincidentally a good generation of IndyCar happening at the same time.

I don't think it was *that* serious a threat, but considering what Max and Bernie did to the World Sportscar Championship and Group C - because they wanted those manufacturers in F1, not sports cars - and it says more about him than American open wheel.

Yeah the reputation that Bernie has had perhaps leads me to believe he could see a bit of "blip" on his radar in regards to CART, but I question whether he thought they would "overtake him".

Also TF is claiming that Bill France, Tony George and Bernie met at the Spanish GP one year. Was looking for any sort of confirmation from that here, because that sounds a bit odd.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

After this in '86:

Plus all the high level driver defections over the years to CART, then Mansell... yes, the FIA was worried about CART. Worried enough to blackball tracks and even whole countries to keep CART's international expansion in check. Rockingham, Lasuitz, and Motegi aren't all ovals by accident or choice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

After this in '86:

Plus all the high level driver defections over the years to CART, then Mansell... yes, the FIA was worried about CART. Worried enough to blackball tracks and even whole countries to keep CART's international expansion in check. Rockingham, Lasuitz, and Motegi aren't all ovals by accident or choice.

Guess that explains why you never see FIA and Indy on the same courses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, don't put it past Bernie Eccelstone to blow something out of proportion. Whether or not CART was a legit threat (and I like to think it was), if Bernie perceives something as such he's gonna burn it to the ground.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/PCaporali/status/822079329098231808

4th of July weekend. Do it.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Cygni posted:

After this in '86:

Ferrari weren't the only F1 manufacturer building an Indycar in the 1980's

Lotus built this prototype

And this Ligier even ran at Long Beach

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Fuzzy singlehandedly keeping the Cleveland Post Office in business

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stop whatever you are doing and watch Long Beach '98. Wacky starting grid (Salles in Vitolo's Coyne in 4th!) and crazy finish.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

After this in '86:

Motegi definitely was intended as an Oval complex man, FIA or not. Enzo always loved the 500 (shout outs to my man Gustav B. for that beautiful 637 ) but it also was just to threaten the FIA. You are also aware that Mansell's defection to CART was primarily driven by the fact that he didn't want to be teammates with Prost again right? He left as fast as he came when the car wasn't perfect.

It's difficult to say whether CART actually was capable of being an F1 rival on a global scale. I don't think it was, but I'm of the opinion that it didn't need to be. I watched and am currently re-watching late 90s CART; it's definitely a better on track product than F1 was at the time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

All three were planned from the start as ovals, specifically because of F1/FIA horseshit. I highly doubt Honda would have ever built an oval in Japan if that wasn't a consideration, but I don't have any insider info about Motegi or anything.

And yeah, I watched Mansell come over. Like you said, legitimate or not and for whatever reasons, F1/FIA was clearly spooked about CART. I personally don't think it ever stood a chance of somehow overtaking F1 on the world stage, but it certainly was well on its way to being marketable in a lot of markets that F1 still covets.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It should be said too that CART very clearly hammered F1 in the USA, as the repeated failures of the 80s showed. That probably pissed off Bernie to no end.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

After this in '86:

oh, it's not just that. It's also the fact that the Old Man, during a meeting with the FIA at the Ferrari factory while threatening to possibly walk away from F1, fired up the engine in the background. During the meeting.

"8w' posted:

The story goes that somewhere in the second half of 1986 FIA and other F1 representatives came to Maranello to speak with Enzo Ferrari about the future of F1 and tried to persuade him to remain in F1. It is said that Enzo told them he was willing to do so but if V12s would be disallowed he couldn't guarantee his company not pursuing other options. Hardly had Enzo spoken these words or everyone in the room heard an engine being started, which could be identified as a turbocharged V8 of about 3 litres, with Ferrari pointing out to the people in the room what they were hearing. The attendants supposedly all of a sudden realized that Ferrari was indeed in an advanced state with its Indy project. At that moment, the deal was struck that V12 engines would be allowed in F1, under the condition that Ferrari wouldn't further pursue its Indycar plans. The project 637 came to an instant standstill as a result.

can't hate that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

oh, it's not just that. It's also the fact that the Old Man, during a meeting with the FIA at the Ferrari factory while threatening to possibly walk away from F1, fired up the engine in the background.

ok thats baller as hell

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

And yeah, I watched Mansell come over. Like you said, legitimate or not and for whatever reasons, F1/FIA was clearly spooked about CART. I personally don't think it ever stood a chance of somehow overtaking F1 on the world stage, but it certainly was well on its way to being marketable in a lot of markets that F1 still covets.

It was all about this, I think. As global of a brand F1 is, there are still a lot of big markets they can't crack. The United States is one of them, obviously. As CART got to a point where it was significant internationally and drawing top international stars (Mansell, etc.) it should have spooked F1. Imagine if several generations of Americans had gotten to equate top-class international racing with CART instead of Formula 1. That would breed a scenario where F1 was perceived as inferior to a significant percentage of the global audience. No way F1 would have stood for that.

In fact, I'm not sure that F1 was completely able to escape that fate considering the state of Formula 1 fandom in the U.S. There's a USGP, but it's blip on the racing calendar compared to the Daytona 500 or Indy 500.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

It was all about this, I think. As global of a brand F1 is, there are still a lot of big markets they can't crack. The United States is one of them, obviously. As CART got to a point where it was significant internationally and drawing top international stars (Mansell, etc.) it should have spooked F1. Imagine if several generations of Americans had gotten to equate top-class international racing with CART instead of Formula 1. That would breed a scenario where F1 was perceived as inferior to a significant percentage of the global audience. No way F1 would have stood for that.

In fact, I'm not sure that F1 was completely able to escape that fate considering the state of Formula 1 fandom in the U.S. There's a USGP, but it's blip on the racing calendar compared to the Daytona 500 or Indy 500.

I think had they never left the Glen? This is a different discussion, but I think that led to F1's decline in popularity stateside. It's a quite testament to that venue that they STILL have an insanely loyal fanbase that will attend anything that runs at that venue.

Kind of the same story with Long Beach, but the difference being that The Glen has that "snake pit" atmosphere that IMS cultivated over the years.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

It also doesn't help F1 that a majority of the races are at really bad times in the US. The USGP does get coverage on NBC and not NBCSN (or CNBC if they shove it to there for whatever reason).

Buuuuuuuut it's in the middle of football season :laffo:

e: I understand the decision to schedule the USGP in fall. Austin can be stupid hot in the summer, but when you're trying to crack the US market, doing it opposite the NFL is about as dumb as you can be.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 20, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

It also doesn't help F1 that a majority of the races are at really bad times in the US. The USGP does get coverage on NBC and not NBCSN (or CNBC if they shove it to there for whatever reason).

Buuuuuuuut it's in the middle of football season :laffo:

e: I understand the decision to schedule the USGP in fall. Austin can be stupid hot in the summer, but when you're trying to crack the US market, doing it opposite the NFL is about as dumb as you can be.

The European rounds are all scheduled consecutively May-September, it's not quite as simple as just saying "don't race the USGP during football season."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

The European rounds are all scheduled consecutively May-September, it's not quite as simple as just saying "don't race the USGP during football season."

It doesn't change the fact though that if you want to break into the US market, doing it when everyone is watching (well, most everyone) one of two channels and it's not the one you're on? Congrats, you're doing it wrong.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

It doesn't change the fact though that if you want to break into the US market, doing it when everyone is watching (well, most everyone) one of two channels and it's not the one you're on? Congrats, you're doing it wrong.

Buddy, it's simply asinine to suggest they go out and rearrange literally the entire loving schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

They go to Canada after Monaco

• Locked thread