Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
To be fair the new umpires boss is also the old umpires boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Someone was asking for more detail about the ruck rule at boundary throw ins. When the ball falls short and neither ruck can make it there, no other players can touch it until it has hit the ground. It sounds dumb, will probably look dumb, but it's easy to umpire and I'm not sure what else they could have done. Hopefully boundary umps doing lots of curls in the off season to make sure they get enough distance most of the time

Wait is this the official line? I was under the assumption that the "third man" cannot make contact with the rucks but anyone simply roving the ball is fine?

*Edit. Holy poo poo straight from the Schwabs mouth. What a loving joke. I hope we get an instance where the rucks after wrestling so hard neither can get close to the ball whilst everyone else just stands around looking like an idiot so we can stop this loving lunacy.

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 19, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

To be fair the new umpires boss is also the old umpires boss

Really? For some reason I was sure that we got a new one. Maybe it was just wishful thinking.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Really? For some reason I was sure that we got a new one. Maybe it was just wishful thinking.

We did but Schwab has served in the role previously too

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Wait is this the official line? I was under the assumption that the "third man" cannot make contact with the rucks but anyone simply roving the ball is fine?

*Edit. Holy poo poo straight from the Schwabs mouth. What a loving joke. I hope we get an instance where the rucks after wrestling so hard neither can get close to the ball whilst everyone else just stands around looking like an idiot so we can stop this loving lunacy.

Nah, it will just go to whoever times their move right to collect it on the half volley at speed.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Solemn Sloth posted:

We did but Schwab has served in the role previously too

Wasn't Schwab last in the job before he coached us?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Are we going to need to have the designated rucks in different coloured jumpers or something

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

Are we going to need to have the designated rucks in different coloured jumpers or something

No, given that both teams already nominate a ruck at each contest

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

The Deadly Hume posted:

Netball bibs, problem solved

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

No, given that both teams already nominate a ruck at each contest

Just like Auskick :yayclod:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Rough officially announced as 2017 Hawks skipper.

2017 is so great.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/londoners-are-barging-their-way-into-women-s-aussie-rules-football-a3438661.html

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Kate Shierlaw, the blues rookie ruck/kpf, was born in Australia but first played for the wimbledon hawks in that comp.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

pkid posted:

2017 is so great.

😊 Fantastic news

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Sorry to be a downer but it seems really weird to me, you'd think after missing a whole year at and looking seriously like he might die that it would be best to ease back into a routine without the added pressure of captain put on him.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sorry to be a downer but it seems really weird to me, you'd think after missing a whole year at and looking seriously like he might die that it would be best to ease back into a routine without the added pressure of captain put on him.

Maybe the Hawks are lacking so poorly in the leadership department that he was the best option? He is replacing Hodge after all, and they did just turf Mitchell and Lewis. Who else is there?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I moved to Melbourne in 2014 and knew nothing about AFL. I was encouraged to get into the game and boy, I picked the right time to become a Doggies fan. Even though I'm a relative newcomer to the game, experiencing the thrill of the 2016 season and premiership will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Go Scraggers! :woof:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

OP is excellent. FOOOTAAAYYYY

I vote we have a rolling thread title too (if it's possible for OP to update it? or is that a mods-only thing?)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Well, you are just being being negative needlessly. He has been at the club consistently the whole year acting in a leadership role. He has clearly wanted it for a while, and everyone obviously thinks he is ready or Hodge just would have kept going for a year. I think it's fine, the only thing he needs to ease into is fitness and skills not leadership. He's old enough to handle it.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Periphery posted:

Maybe the Hawks are lacking so poorly in the leadership department that he was the best option? He is replacing Hodge after all, and they did just turf Mitchell and Lewis. Who else is there?

Lol

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Well who else do they have?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That could captain or that is generally leadership material? I'm not going to list leaders because saying we are poor in that department is such a joke, but other potential captains were (ignoring the old guys) Shiels, Smith and Guston (probably too early for Jack).

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
What this is is a huge vote of confidence in a man who is coming back from a difficult year. The club obviously believes in him and he is hugely respected by the players. He has proven himself as a good leader who just loves the club. This is a good news story, and if all you can get out of it is 'lol Hawthorn's leadership stocks must be pretty terrible' then like I'm sad for you.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
:argh:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I agree that Roughead is the best option and it's a good story but I really don't see any of those other players you listed as obvious captain material.

Stop being mad that some people don't think the Hawks are overflowing with talent in every regard.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

pkid posted:

2017 is so great.

Such fantastic, happy, awesome news.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just fucken love Rough, posting negative things about him is prohibited

Periphery posted:

I agree that Roughead is the best option and it's a good story but I really don't see any of those other players you listed as obvious captain material.

I don't see a single st kilda player as a potential captain because I don't give a gently caress about the saints. The difference is I don't present my ignorance of your leadership group as if it is a good point. Those other three, especially Shiels, are potential captains.

quote:

Stop being mad that some people don't think the Hawks are overflowing with talent in every regard.

Yes this was precisely the point of my posts, come on man.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Stop being mad that I questioned whether someone who has just recovered from what looked like terminal cancer has enough on his plate just playing elite sport without being captain.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's at least closer to the mark

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
But I wasn't mad at you all I did was disagree with you. Strongly

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The overall design of Moorabbin Reserve has been put up http://www.yourkingstonyoursay.com.au/moorabbin-reserve

Looks like its going to really improve the park as a whole a great deal which is going to be awesome for everyone around there.

Meanwhile the stink seems to have settled in over Dingley even more then usual lately. Enjoy it Hawks!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
That looks fantastic, should have been done instead of all the loving around by all concerned that resulted in Seaford, and a partially demolished, still decrepit Moorabin.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Looks like a good plan, greatly expanded stands/facilities for the oval and a good upgrade for the rest of the park which is pretty barren right now.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

realbez posted:

But I wasn't mad at you all I did was disagree with you. Strongly

I disagree with the existence of the Hawks. Strongly. But I think Roughy is a good choice and good for him. I would assume that if he wasn't up for it they wouldn't have offered it and he wouldn't have accepted it, so the fact both those things happened is as good a sign as any that he's good for the job.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It also helps blunt anyone criticising the Hawks if they have a down year because how dare you

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

I disagree with the existence of the Hawks. Strongly.

A terrible but unfortunately common disorder. My condolences.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

It also helps blunt anyone criticising the Hawks if they have a down year because how dare you

Hodgey will always be the lurking Wormtongue in the background dont you worry.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticise the Hawks

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
AFLW ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WtWYRTv43E

Should have got Usain Bolt.

Adbot