Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
http://www.crunchyroll.com/miss-kobayashis-dragon-maid

From the director of Hyouka and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya comes the next classic anime from Kyoani.

quote:

Miss Kobayashi is your average office worker who lives a boring life, alone in her small apartment–until she saves the life of a female dragon in distress. The dragon, named Tohru, has the ability to magically transform into an adorable human girl (albeit with horns and a long tail!), who will do anything to pay off her debt of gratitude, whether Miss Kobayashi likes it or not. With a very persistent and amorous dragon as a roommate, nothing comes easy, and Miss Kobayashi’s normal life is about to go off the deep end!

(The dragon maid committee takes its work super seriously.)

Characters:

Mom

Dragon maid mom

Daughter (electric type)

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is on Crunchyroll on Wednesdays.

second opinion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show is good and I like it

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Ah, both OP's are good, so I'm going to just leave them both open.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

second opinion:

Those outfits are great so what is the problem???

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tohru and Kobayashi are good moms. :3:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

the two threads are symbolic of the two moms

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

the two threads are symbolic of the two moms

Terper posted:

There needs to be a third thread, so we have two mom threads and a kid thread

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

okay

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fangz posted:

From the director of Hyouka and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya comes the next classic anime from Kyoani.

you forgot amagi brilliant park op

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty cool fight scene

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I liked this ep much more than the first one.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Tohru is good and cute.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Fauxtool posted:

pretty cool fight scene

the sound effects were really striking

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This show cured my back pain

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

posting in a kobayashi thread! ground floor!

the 2nd episode is great and I look forward to more

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 20, 2017

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xeiros posted:

The vast majority of Maid Dragon chapters equate to about 5 minutes of animated content. To break it down for you, episode 2's shopping was a chapter, Kanna showing up was a chapter, playing was a chapter, and Tohru showing Kanna around was a chapter. This so far has resulted in a ratio of 4 chapters to 1 episode.

7 equally-priced volumes of Maid Dragon mean the equivalent of 14 episodes (and at least 1 OVA). There are around 60 some manga chapters released so far. While there are some anime original scenes, they're only brief transitions that help tie everything together.

My big concern is that despite having loads of content to adapt, they're going to start stretching out the already paper thin source by covering fewer chapters per episode or just straight up have whole sections of filler for no good reason. One of my biggest peeves with adaptations is copious filler even when there's loads of source material left to adapt. There's been nothing to support this at this point, but I can't help myself. It's an irrational fear. I love the source manga; that's what I want to see adapted. So far that's exactly what I've gotten and I'm most pleased with the results.

They've done an excellent job of arranging the material to flow just a bit better. Event already play into each other to a certain degree already in the manga, but the anime helps tie it together so well. Expect Lucoa focused chapters to be grouped together. Same deal with Elma (24, 25, 26 and 35). Chapters 28 and 32 are perfect chapters to include as part of the Tohru's father showing up episode in that little arc that spans chapters 19 and 20.

I was a tad disappointed they didn't trust the audience's intelligence in episode 2. In the first episode, at exactly 1 minute in as dragon form Tohru is flying to Kabayashi's place she casts perception magic on herself and begins glowing bright neon green. This is why the people below don't see her as she flies overhead in the clear sky. She does the same thing at the end of the episode when she clears away the clouds with her breath. We're never told it's a perception blocking spell. Context clues are all we needed to put the pieces together to understand what her green glow meant. This goes flying out the window in episode 2 when it's straight up explained to the audience through expository dialogue. Not a big deal though to be fair there are plenty of people who did need it explained to them. Show, don't tell doesn't work for everyone all the time.

Here's a little something to ponder moving forward for anime only watchers who haven't jumped ship. In episode 2 we were told Kanna was exiled for pulling a prank and that she loved pulling pranks. Despite this for the remainder of an episode focused on her we never once see her pulling any pranks, not a one. Why is this?

I didn't read this

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is why having multiple Maidragon threads was a good idea

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Xeiros posted:

The vast majority of Maid Dragon chapters equate to about 5 minutes of animated content. To break it down for you, episode 2's shopping was a chapter, Kanna showing up was a chapter, playing was a chapter, and Tohru showing Kanna around was a chapter. This so far has resulted in a ratio of 4 chapters to 1 episode.

7 equally-priced volumes of Maid Dragon mean the equivalent of 14 episodes (and at least 1 OVA). There are around 60 some manga chapters released so far. While there are some anime original scenes, they're only brief transitions that help tie everything together.

My big concern is that despite having loads of content to adapt, they're going to start stretching out the already paper thin source by covering fewer chapters per episode or just straight up have whole sections of filler for no good reason. One of my biggest peeves with adaptations is copious filler even when there's loads of source material left to adapt. There's been nothing to support this at this point, but I can't help myself. It's an irrational fear. I love the source manga; that's what I want to see adapted. So far that's exactly what I've gotten and I'm most pleased with the results.

They've done an excellent job of arranging the material to flow just a bit better. Event already play into each other to a certain degree already in the manga, but the anime helps tie it together so well. Expect Lucoa focused chapters to be grouped together. Same deal with Elma (24, 25, 26 and 35). Chapters 28 and 32 are perfect chapters to include as part of the Tohru's father showing up episode in that little arc that spans chapters 19 and 20.

I was a tad disappointed they didn't trust the audience's intelligence in episode 2. In the first episode, at exactly 1 minute in as dragon form Tohru is flying to Kabayashi's place she casts perception magic on herself and begins glowing bright neon green. This is why the people below don't see her as she flies overhead in the clear sky. She does the same thing at the end of the episode when she clears away the clouds with her breath. We're never told it's a perception blocking spell. Context clues are all we needed to put the pieces together to understand what her green glow meant. This goes flying out the window in episode 2 when it's straight up explained to the audience through expository dialogue. Not a big deal though to be fair there are plenty of people who did need it explained to them. Show, don't tell doesn't work for everyone all the time.

Here's a little something to ponder moving forward for anime only watchers who haven't jumped ship. In episode 2 we were told Kanna was exiled for pulling a prank and that she loved pulling pranks. Despite this for the remainder of an episode focused on her we never once see her pulling any pranks, not a one. Why is this?

Nobody cares.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Why is everyone so pissy in ADTRW lately? I thought it was a decent post. Did I miss something?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think you should have a little faith in Kyoani.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
What the heck, friends, no need to make snippy posts because Xeiros felt like posting more than one line.

Though friend, you're certainly being too gloomy about the perils of this adaptation. Kyoani are the queens of good adaptations, even when they have to make a bunch of new stuff. "Filler" isn't always bad!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Agronox posted:

Why is everyone so pissy in ADTRW lately? I thought it was a decent post. Did I miss something?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

What the heck, friends, no need to make snippy posts because Xeiros felt like posting more than one line.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i mean, you've got the math laid out for yourself there. max 14-15 eps, ~4 chapters per episode. ~60 chapters out.

Heck, maybe the OVA can cover the Kanna's Daily Life spin-off!

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
I'll likely end up editing this post to nothing too. Oh well. Vague manga spoilers ahead.

The basic logic behind the fear of poor pacing comes from a particular character who has not been confirmed to appear in the anime. This character is Iruru or the third dragon to eventually join the main (not supporting) cast. Manga readers already know specific chapters will be adapted due to the confirmation of certain side characters. For example, Georgie Saikawa is confirmed to appear. She debuts in chapter 29 so we know that's getting covered. Another supporting character Shōta is also confirmed who debuts in chapter 27 so we know that chapter's covered as well. So we already knew as far in as chapter 29 was going to be covered before the anime even started airing.

The character who has not been confirmed to appear first shows up in the manga at the very end of chapter 30 just one chapter later. She continues to influence the story up until she permanently joins the main cast in chapter 38 which is the first double length chapter or the equivalent of around half an episodes worth of content not that it matters. From then on she's a consistent part of the cast and from her initial debut on can't be written around without butchering the source material. Even chapters like 34 that focus on Kanna and Kobayashi have this character playing a key role before she fully joins the main cast.

Remember that 4 chapter an episode pacing? The one the first two episodes had? If they avoid reaching the point where THAT character debuts they WILL have to gut the pacing and ramp up the anime original material by a significant margin at episode 8. In fact that episode on will be pretty much nothing but anime original material if they keep up the 4 to 1 pacing for the first 7 episodes and aren't going to include said character. Either that or heavy padding/filler will begin to rear their heads much sooner due to trying to pad out 29 11 page chapters over 14 episodes with the remainder being only perhaps partial AO instead of entirely so.

It all comes down to whether or not Iruru is in the anime. She is nowhere to be seen in the OP or ED. If she is the 4 to 1 pacing can remain intact save for the whichever episode covers chapter 38. If she is not, well ... yeah. Kyoani is not known for being faithful to the source material and often take massive liberties with them. Ignorance is bliss.

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 20, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xeiros posted:

I'll likely end up editing this post to nothing too. Oh well. Vague manga spoilers ahead.

The basic logic behind the fear of poor pacing comes from a particular character who has not been confirmed to appear in the anime. This character is Iruru or the third dragon to eventually join the main (not supporting) cast. Manga readers already know specific chapters will be adapted due to the confirmation of certain side characters. For example, Georgie Saikawa is confirmed to appear. She debuts in chapter 29 so we know that's getting covered. Another supporting character Shōta is also confirmed who debuts in chapter 27 so we know that chapter's covered as well. So we already knew as far in as chapter 29 was going to be covered before the anime even started airing.

The character who has not been confirmed to appear first shows up in the manga at the very end of chapter 30 just one chapter later. She continues to influence the story up until she permanently joins the main cast in chapter 38 which is the first double length chapter or the equivalent of around half an episodes worth of content not that it matters. From then on she's a consistent part of the cast and from her initial debut on can't be written around without butchering the source material. Even chapters like 34 that focus on Kanna and Kobayashi have this character playing a key role before she fully joins the main cast.

Remember that 4 chapter an episode pacing? The one the first two episodes had? If they avoid reaching the point where THAT character debuts they WILL have to gut the pacing and ramp up the anime original material by a significant margin at episode 8. In fact that episode on will be pretty much nothing but anime original material if they keep up the 4 to 1 pacing for the first 7 episodes and aren't going to include said character. Either that or the padding and filler will begin to slow down much sooner due to trying to pad out 29 11 page chapters over 14 episodes with the remainder being only perhaps half filler/padding instead of entirely so.

It all comes down to whether or not Iruru is in the anime. If she is the 4 to 1 pacing can remain intact save for the whichever episode covers chapter 38. If she is not, well ... yeah.

...If this character is so drat important, what the hell makes you think they'll cut her out of the anime?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

spoilers this isn't Kyoto Animation's first rodeo and they will probably more than do the material justice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AnoHito posted:

...If this character is so drat important, what the hell makes you think they'll cut her out of the anime?

If they don't get up to the chapter she shows up in I guess? She doesn't appear until like a couple of volumes in.

Anyway show's been good so far and I imagine it will remain that way. Fear of poor pacing ruining an adaption is something I think most people who've really liked a work have considered upon news of an adaption, but nothing to suggest it's happening here. The scene's Kyoani have added were also all really charming so if they do decide to slow down the number of chapters per episode i'm confident whatever original content they have will also be cool + cute.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I don't think you need to be concerned about spoil-tagging or dropping intricacies on everyone. You can just say Iruru is a character who appears like 30 chapters in but she's not in the OP or ED so you're not sure if the adaption's run will include the arc where she features heavily.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

An adaptation is ultimately its own thing. If Kyoani decides to slow down the pace of the story then that could very well be for the good of the show. Don't stress out too much about it recreating the manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I trust KyoAni to do filler that adds, not subtracts. Look at K-On. They took a fairly average comedy 4koma and turned it into a funny and uplifting take on the warm, sweet, and temporary parts of life.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also I didn't really care for most of Iruru's stuff in the book and would probably not mind the unlikely scenario of KyoAni excising her entirely

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Iruru isn't listed on the offiical website, which has a ton of minor characters and all the other main characters, so I think it's a safe bet she won't show up. I'd consider that a win, too; she's bad imo and the more "filler" a Kyoani adaption has the better it tends to be relative to the source. See: all of their shows ever.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I thought her arc emphasized what's so good about the manga. The chaos and degeneracy providing a foil to the gentleness of a lonely office lady and her growing makeshift family who all find a place with each other. A crazy doujin author who eases back and decides to write a cute, heart-warming story.

But as much as I think it's crucial to the manga I'm not worried about the anime. Like endorph says, kyoani is super good about providing anime-original content that upholds or strengthens the ideas of the original work.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I agree with spaceflower (and endorph) entirely.

If issues happen, they happen. However, they probably won't.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Iruru has a really bad design but the thing they did with her in recently translated chapters trying to be more human like, with the hands gag and stuff was decent.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I mean, it's already better than I thought, because I thought it would be 4-minutes of awful, screechy moe-comedy with stapled on dragon tails.

Instead it's 22-minutes of above average moe-comedy with stapled on dragon tails. It's not amazing but it's amusing and inoffensive thus far. (Fafnir gives the best advice.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
For all the crap I give Kyoani (when I remember to), they're not bad at being faithful. And hell, when they aren't being faithful, they typically do a pretty good job still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I am having some fun with this show. I felt better about episode 2 than 1 due to cutting back a bit on the like..as potentially amusing as it is that she got stripped while Kobayashi was drunk, I don't know if I super want that haha. It seems like it should be fun enough though.

• Locked thread