Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
The only real chance F1 has of gaining a significant foothold in the U.S. isn't an American driver or an American team, but an American brand competing and performing well. I would not think it a stretch to say that sportscar racing, specifically Le Mans, has a lot more of a casual following than F1. When recognizable U.S. brands like Chevy and Ford race domestically and internationally, Americans are going to watch (and care what happens) internationally. F1 has been chasing that a long time. Until you have a large American F1 manufacturer wanting to prove its worth against the world, general audiences won't put their heart into supporting F1 like they do IndyCar or NASCAR.

Related to that, I think Chevy coming to Indycar was one of the best things that could have happened, and not just because there were two competing engines again. Now Indycar has an American company promoting a traditionally American racing series, something that shouldn't be understated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dynamite Dog posted:

They go to Canada after Monaco

They've raced in Montreal that week in June for over 30 years. This isn't just cutting and pasting. It's a teensy weensy bit more involved than "the NFL is important."

WindyMan posted:

The only real chance F1 has of gaining a significant foothold in the U.S. isn't an American driver or an American team, but an American brand competing and performing well. I would not think it a stretch to say that sportscar racing, specifically Le Mans, has a lot more of a casual following than F1. When recognizable U.S. brands like Chevy and Ford race domestically and internationally, Americans are going to watch (and care what happens) internationally. F1 has been chasing that a long time. Until you have a large American F1 manufacturer wanting to prove its worth against the world, general audiences won't put their heart into supporting F1 like they do IndyCar or NASCAR.

Related to that, I think Chevy coming to Indycar was one of the best things that could have happened, and not just because there were two competing engines again. Now Indycar has an American company promoting a traditionally American racing series, something that shouldn't be understated.

Kinda the same as how IndyCar was bigger back when Marlboro was pouring money into the sport. An American brand in F1 would mean that brand spending heavily to advertise their involvement in the sport.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

Buddy, it's simply asinine to suggest they go out and rearrange literally the entire loving schedule.

Dynamite Dog posted:

They go to Canada after Monaco

:smug:

WindyMan posted:

Haas is too "niche" of a brand to do this. True racing nerds may know about it and its connection to NASCAR, but Jim Bob doesn't care. It's not Ford or Chevy, or even Dodge.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lmao, guy who doesn't understand anything about F1 and yet is suggesting changes he doesn't comprehend, real deserved smug face

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

The last time F1 was probably on even footing with Indy, IMSA and Cup was probably in the 60's/70''s, which does have parts of what you were talking about.

Roger Penske, Parnelli Jones, and Dan Gurney all had teams. Roger wound up having a fairly successful mid pack team and was able to give the likes of Mark Donohue a shot. Parnelli actually was the one that was able to allow Mario a chance to dip his toes into the water and showcase his talents before the world. Not to mention that the guy actually running McLaren at the time was....Teddy Mayer, a :911:.

This is also not to mention that during this era pretty much every major F1 star tried running Indy (Clark, Hill, Brabham, Hulme, and Sir Jackie Stewart). This allowed these figures to gain exposure from an American audience in that regard, even allowing one to become a household name in the states (Sir Jackie). There's only been ONE Racing driver to ever be named "SPORTS MAN OF THE YEAR" by SI, and it was...of all people Sir Jackie.

Ford was indeed involved very heavily during the 60's, 70's, and 80's. You had customer cars, you had a lot of random Americans popping up in various places (Rahal, Cheever, Sullivan, Revson, etc).You also had venues like I mentioned like the Glen and Long Beach. One that catered towards the "drinking" race fan, and one that catered towards the "glitz/glammer" of F1 in the vain of Monaco.

There's a formula to do it, but Bernie never seemed to want to be bothered in implementing it.

I imagine that this would also greatly help IndyCar in it's exposure as well, but I don't think the powers at be at F1 would like it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WindyMan posted:

Sports Car Racing and Open Wheel are different beasts. While having a competitive domestic manufacturer is nice, in open wheel (from what I've seen) the drivers seem to get more of the attention than whatever badge is on the engine cover. And in America, CART always got more attention regardless. Ford was in F1 nearly continuously from 1967-2004ish. It dominated for over a decade (nearly becoming a spec engine some years) and was competitive until the mid-90s (winning the WDC with Schumacher/Benetton as late as 1994) but it did not increase F1's popularity in the USA.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Sports Car Racing and Open Wheel are different beasts. While having a competitive domestic manufacturer is nice, in open wheel (from what I've seen) the drivers seem to get more of the attention than whatever badge is on the engine cover. And in America, CART always got more attention regardless. Ford was in F1 nearly continuously from 1967-2004ish. It dominated for over a decade (nearly becoming a spec engine some years) and was competitive until the mid-90s (winning the WDC with Schumacher/Benetton as late as 1994) but it did not increase F1's popularity in the USA.

Ford is also a weird case in that I think the F1 was more Ford Europe than Ford HQ. Similar situation to how Honda USA/Canada supports IndyCar, and Honda corporate does F1.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It's really hard to understate how special Ford was as a company. It was truly the first global company. Before the war the majority of private cars in Germany and Japan were Fords, they had large scale factories in both countries. They got supremely hosed over by WWII taking away their factories and it's really no coincidence that Germany and Japan emerged as strong passenger vehicle manufacturers. Americans think of Ford as a domestic make but Ford = car worldwide for a long time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

It's really hard to understate how special Ford was as a company. It was truly the first global company. Before the war the majority of private cars in Germany and Japan were Fords, they had large scale factories in both countries. They got supremely hosed over by WWII taking away their factories and it's really no coincidence that Germany and Japan emerged as strong passenger vehicle manufacturers. Americans think of Ford as a domestic make but Ford = car worldwide for a long time.

Whoa, I did not know any of this. Fascinating.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Remember when double points sounded like an awful gimmick? NASCAR just did that, but in a different way and for the entire season and WTF NASCAR?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS, Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017 - The Indy 500 Snake Pit Presented by Coors Light is proud to announce the official lineup for 2017! EDM superstars ZEDD and MARSHMELLO will headline, along with support by RL GRIME, ACTION BRONSON, ADVENTURE CLUB and THE TRAP HOUSE, in addition to wrestling legend RIC FLAIR as the special emcee. The Snake Pit will take place over Memorial Day Weekend, on Sunday, May 28, during the 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Presented by PennGrade Motor Oil at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

code:
101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Presented by PennGrade Motor Oil

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Peanut President posted:

code:
101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Presented by PennGrade Motor Oil

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Action Bronson isn't even going to know what the gently caress is going on out there, that's sensational.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

KingShibby posted:

TO BE THE MAN YOU GOT TO BEAT THE MAN!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

EDM superstars CHAD DEL CHAD and NOUGAT will headline, along with support by RL STINE, CHARLES BRONSON, ADVENTURE TIME and THE PARENT TRAP.

man im out of touch with the kids these days

alternate joke is just to quote leon:

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/445926596143095809

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 24, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

man im out of touch with the kids these days

alternate joke is just to quote leon:

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/445926596143095809

I'm ColgyP.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That Logo is good.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm not trying to rip on Danica, but does it feel in some ways that her bailing on the series kinda helped it out in some ways?

It feels like the series has found itself a new crop of stars, fan favorites in the vain of Hinch, Newgarden, Rahal, Pagenaud, and such. It feels like the MRTI is starting to pay dividends, and that the sport has found it better to have those guys be your face rather than one girl who the media drools over.

(Let me add..they really need to find a Sarah Fisher clone in the near future. I think this women would be a great add if they could get her in the MRTI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Jackson )

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Coincidence is not causation.

She left the seat, it went to Hinch (would've been Dan :smith: ). Her last ICS race was Vegas 2011 (:smith: ) so, the chassis and engine formula changed directly afterward. This allowed more teams a more-equal playing field and enabled more young talent to shine.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Coincidence is not causation.

She left the seat, it went to Hinch (would've been Dan :smith: ). Her last ICS race was Vegas 2011 (:smith: ) so, the chassis and engine formula changed directly afterward. This allowed more teams a more-equal playing field and enabled more young talent to shine.

I think the Danica years were kinda hiding the final stages of decline (before a slight revival) in the sport/series. 2011 Vegas was rock bottom. That was when they hit it.

I mean you think about..2002, The IRL had landed a major coup by landing Ganassi, Penske, Andretti, Rahal and Fernandez into the sport. Some of the biggest names in CART were now back racing at Indy in May,. This is in addition to landing old CART venues like Michigan, Fontana, Nazareth, Homestead, and such. Not to mention getting Honda, and Toyota to join Chevy in the sport.

It's kinda sad that a lot of those I just typed? Kinda deteriorated during that time. Like it's really sad they couldn't find a way to keep Toyota and Chevy happy for example. (If we were going to hit the reset? It'd have been nice if the IRL hooked Penske up with Chevy during this go around, and did the same with Ganassi/Toyota to keep people happy. Honda seemed to be doing really well with Rahal, Andretti as their two anchors) Same with the venues I just typed (I know, I know..Nazareth was doomed because of NASCAR not finding it of use any more).

It also always felt like they were playing some sort of bizarre game of "catch up" with Cup during that era too. Their crowds in retrospect? Weren't horrible when you consider the fact that they're probably the equivlant of most Cup crowds today.

Perhaps she's just more of a "symbol" of that era?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm not trying to rip on Danica, but does it feel in some ways that her bailing on the series kinda helped it out in some ways?

It feels like the series has found itself a new crop of stars, fan favorites in the vain of Hinch, Newgarden, Rahal, Pagenaud, and such. It feels like the MRTI is starting to pay dividends, and that the sport has found it better to have those guys be your face rather than one girl who the media drools over.

(Let me add..they really need to find a Sarah Fisher clone in the near future. I think this women would be a great add if they could get her in the MRTI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Jackson )

What is this post?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
"Having a pretty woman taking away attention from other drivers is bad.

Also, we need this pretty woman with no credentials in the series."

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peanut President posted:

What is this post?

Fuzzy bein Fuzzy. Should count our stars it doesn't also bring up the split or fantasy schedules/whatifs.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Fuzzys schedules are like that voice-over in the Twisted Metal 2 intro. Even.... Antarctica.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Jam posted:

Fuzzys schedules are like that voice-over in the Twisted Metal 2 intro. Even.... Antarctica.

"Fuzzy...Fuzzy what have you done?!? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!"

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Fuzzy is the wokest of race fans

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Fuzzy is the wokest of race fans

Bleh. I'm so bored.

Thank god the 24 hours is this weekend.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Posting while bored might get you a custom av, be warned fam.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Posting while bored might get you a custom av, be warned fam.

Who the heck spends money on a custom title for another poster and makes it ALL TEXT?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

Who the heck spends money on a custom title for another poster and makes it ALL TEXT?

And doesn't even make it red!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Not seeing viking's custom title as all-bold all-red and all-caps really drives home the sorry state of the Something Awfule Dot Com Forums.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

wicka posted:

You're just asking for somebody to buy you an all-text custom title.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

You're just asking for somebody to buy you an all-text custom title.

Live your life, gret. No one else is gonna do it for you.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

New Miller article which is pro-Indy as gently caress.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/137893-miller-nascar-s-changes-are-great-for-indycar

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is NASCAR actually stopping the racing for each of those segments or are they just letting them carry on racing and awarding points for the running positions at one third and two thirds distance?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Is NASCAR actually stopping the racing for each of those segments or are they just letting them carry on racing and awarding points for the running positions at one third and two thirds distance?

It's basically like the all-star race. They race to the flag at the end of the segment, the winner gets a Playoff point and the top 10 get regular finishing points. Caution comes out, teams pit if they want, and then the race starts again. The idea is that NASCAR wants teams to race hard throughout the entire race. Instead of shortening the races to fix this (less time to air commercials is unacceptable I guess?) they're just putting more shorter "races" within the same race and incentivizing doing well in them with bonuses in the postseason.

It's not an altogether bad idea, it's just confusing as hell and is being communicated in an extremely condescending way IMO.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

WindyMan posted:

It's basically like the all-star race. They race to the flag at the end of the segment, the winner gets a Playoff point and the top 10 get regular finishing points. Caution comes out, teams pit if they want, and then the race starts again. The idea is that NASCAR wants teams to race hard throughout the entire race. Instead of shortening the races to fix this (less time to air commercials is unacceptable I guess?) they're just putting more shorter "races" within the same race and incentivizing doing well in them with bonuses in the postseason.

It's not an altogether bad idea, it's just confusing as hell and is being communicated in an extremely condescending way IMO.

Right, so it's more or less the caution clock from the Trucks last year but every 33% race distance rather than every 20 minutes and with points awards thrown in too.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 25, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually wouldn't mind it that much if they just straight up made them heat races. I guess it isn't that different, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Three 50 mile heat races to set the field for a 250 mile feature would have been my idea.

e- Just to clear it up, you'd split the field in three parts based on qualifying times and have three separate "races". I'd also allow backups to be used for the feature but make them automatically tag the rear.

• Locked thread