Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Vermain posted:

Completely agreed. It flowed so much better and felt far less forced in.

I kept thinking they were talking about Kitana and was sorely disappointed that we didn't get any weird Mortal Kombat impersonations.

Was she in Mortal Kombat vs D.C so we could get that matchup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Re-listening to the Earnest episode made me curious. What's the worst movie you guys have seen the most times? As in, one you didn't like even the first time but you just ended up seeing it over and over again for whatever reason (being couchridden with a hangover and the TV's on Comedy Central and the remote's far away, for instance)

For me it's probably WHM classic Jurassic Park: The Lost World. Forever taunted by that full-size Crackle bar...

Growing up in the same house as my sisters, I suffered through many second-hand views of classics like the Little Rascals and a few others. As for ones I watched halfway willingly I have no idea. Probably Space Jam.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Batman V Superman is an awful, broken, unlovely movie, but it manages to at least sort of work in short bursts; Zach Snyder is awful, but he can frame the hell out of a scene, occasionally, which makes for really good two minute increments of really terrible long-rear end movies.

Suicide Squad is just awful. At first I thought there might be a good movie somewhere underneath those draconian cuts and studio meddling, but I honestly don't think there ever was. Even if you pare it back to what was apparently the original director's cut's core, you're left with a bleak, depressing tale of nasty criminals being abused into becoming soldiers, without a shred of fun or humor to be seen. And even then, you're saddled with Enchantress and a bunch of tar-goons for villains, which just undercuts any energy the movie might have had before it started. It just doesn't work on any level.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Suicide Squad would make a great TV series. You'd have time to explore the relationships between characters and give them a Mission of the Week, and every time an actor leaves you give them a shocking death and bring in another c-list villain. Cast Taraj P Henson (Cookie from Empire) as Amanda Waller and you're set.

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde

Re-listening to the Earnest episode made me curious. What's the worst movie you guys have seen the most times? As in, one you didn't like even the first time but you just ended up seeing it over and over again for whatever reason (being couchridden with a hangover and the TV's on Comedy Central and the remote's far away, for instance)

For me it's probably WHM classic Jurassic Park: The Lost World. Forever taunted by that full-size Crackle bar...

Sleepless in Seattle (on TV a lot, especially around Christmas/New Year's Eve/Valentine's Day, since all 3 are settings for the movie). A woman with a fiancee hears some other guy on the radio and decides to stalk him and this is true love. Man I hate that movie and yet I've seen it at least a dozen times.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Count Chocula posted:

Suicide Squad would make a great TV series. You'd have time to explore the relationships between characters and give them a Mission of the Week, and every time an actor leaves you give them a shocking death and bring in another c-list villain. Cast Taraj P Henson (Cookie from Empire) as Amanda Waller and you're set.

I gotta say, there's no truer sign that something is good than when people insist it's better told as an HBO miniseries.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That would mean world war z was a good movie though

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BvS and SS were successes in one and only one respect: making me want to see a standalone Irons/Affleck Batman movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Stairmaster posted:

That would mean world war z was a good movie though

So be it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

BvS and SS were successes in one and only one respect: making me want to see a standalone Irons/Affleck Batman movie

They also made only slightly less than the metric asston of money WB was hoping for in their wildest dreams. Plus most of the audience that saw them actually liked them. So that's at least 3 successes.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Count Chocula posted:

Surely they've had enough bad guys between those Arrow and Flash tv shows to do this?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Red Bones posted:

Surely they've had enough bad guys between those Arrow and Flash tv shows to do this?

They did. Suicide Squad/Amanda Waller has been a recurring infrequent arc in Arrow. (They eventually revealed that while Oliver was "lost at sea" she grabbed his rear end and went "You're dead, so I get deniability if we use you for whatever." as a proto-Squad.)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gyges posted:

They also made only slightly less than the metric asston of money WB was hoping for in their wildest dreams. Plus most of the audience that saw them actually liked them. So that's at least 3 successes.

BvS was a solid box office disappointment, despite being technically probably profitable. On paper it's not unreasonable to think that a movie starring Batman and superman, if given an avengers level budget and marketing, should pull in Avengers level money. Instead it made sub-Iron Man 3 money. Put another way , adding Superman and increasing the marketing actually caused the movie to make less money than the previous Batman movie.

Suicide Squad was a legit box office success though, which is sad, because it was terrible.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SS also makes merch money out the rear end don't forget.

The frustrating thing about SS is that there's already dozens of films about ragtag bands of ne'er do-well types becoming families who do good. Just copy a Fast & Furious movie and be done with it. Instead they smashed like four ideas together and it's one of the most baffling 'genre' films I've ever seen. The repeated helicopter crashes should never have made it past a script editor.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Both SS and BVS are bad movies, but at least Suicide Squad was entertainingly terrible. Batman V Superman was a chore to get through, and wasn't cheesy/bad enough to laugh at, it was just... there.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I had to think about this for a while but the worst movie I've seen the most is Glitter. I used to work for a movie store and one of the shift leads that I disliked the most loved to put that movie on. Before we were corporate mandated to play ad rolls, we had free reign to pick films. A lot of times we chose musicals and whatnot because it would be something we could appreciate while rear end deep in VHS tapes (I worked there right at the end of the format) to put away.
We had a few films that meant something as well. Stomp and Garth Brooks Live were used to drive customers away or encourage quick leaving. I think one of the shift leads used to put in Woodstock live videos until someone saw a naked boob. We also used to play Grease a lot until that one got complaints as well. Phantom of the Opera and Napoleon Dynamite got so much play time I never actually say them beginning to end and I never will, I got so sick of them both.

Also one super awkward moment where we put in Back to the Future and found out that PG back then is different than PG now.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I've seen Gone Fishing multiple times.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gyges posted:

I think the real issues for the movie were that it apparently got written in just a few weeks, and then had meddling from all sides thrown in. Like, Enchantress is probably the biggest single element you can look at and strap the bad decisions to. But it almost feels like some sort of mandate came down that the big bad in the movie had to be a huge spectacle and tie into the team, which kind of lead to her inclusion.

If you're introducing the Squad, probably the best bet would have been to drop Enchantress entirely then use the rest of the cast for some sort of heist type movie. Somewhere in a matrix between The Town, Ocean's 11, 3 Kings, and Escape From New York set in the insane world of DC. poo poo, you could even make their mission be to get the book of Iranian Secrets or something.

I would watch the poo poo out of this movie. Which is yet another reason SS is so loving disappointing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The worst movie I've watched the most number of times is definitely Master of Disguise, which I have watched almost once.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I have to watch that Jim Carrey "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" every year when I go home for the holidays. It's a loving massacre of a classic cartoon, made worse because I can't bitch about how bad it is since it's a family tradition now.

If only it were "Elf" :(

They also like the Ryan Reynolds in a fat suit Christmas comedy "Just Friends," but that's not every year and isn't as dire.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I've watched the Scooby-Doo live action movies a like four times each. I guess they were just cheap to acquire, because they were on television very shortly after being in theaters

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I have to watch that Jim Carrey "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" every year when I go home for the holidays. It's a loving massacre of a classic cartoon, made worse because I can't bitch about how bad it is since it's a family tradition now.

They also like the Ryan Reynolds in a fat suit Christmas comedy "Just Friends," but that's not every year and isn't as dire.

That one is the worst because the Grinch was supposed to just be a curmudgeon who grows a heart by the end instead they made him a tragic creature who had every right to be pissed off at the Whos, all of which were racist assholes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ghost emoji posted:

I've seen Gone Fishing multiple times.

For some reason it was always this followed by Cocoon.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Zach Snyder is awful, but he can frame the hell out of a scene, occasionally, which makes for really good two minute increments of really terrible long-rear end movies.
I like their comment how Zach Snyder even had to make the parent-killing scene "fuckable", and that helped me click on something that summed up Zach Snyder for me. He has no tonal range because he has no stylistic range. He can paint a visual picture, but just one kind of visual picture, and the result is he can't tell a story. (This is similar to what I don't like about David Fincher even though he's a much better director of course, but I don't want to go into that Unpopular Opinion territory.)

What's the worst movie you guys have seen the most times?

Including childhood years, it's probably, like, Krull. Or maybe Dune, for which I have passed through ironic love into real love.

As an adult, I think... 88 Minutes. I'd like to hear the WHM people do an episode on that one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I've seen Date Movie like five times

PostNouveau posted:

I've seen that like twice and the nicest thing I can say is that Anna Farris is really going for it and Ryan Reynolds is only in the fat suit for like ten minutes

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

I've seen Eight Crazy Nights way too many goddamn times. That is a purely wretched movie if I've ever seen one, and a great episode too!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I watched the FX "dvd on TV" of the Butterfly Effect so many times because I thought it was cool when I was 15.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

A Meat posted:

I've watched the Scooby-Doo live action movies a like four times each. I guess they were just cheap to acquire, because they were on television very shortly after being in theaters

Didn't James Gunn write the first one?
That's part of why Marvel is successful, they tweak the genre to the characters. Which means I get to watch a zillion dollar acid trip Doctor Strange movie. They would do the Suicide Squad heist movie everyone seems to want. That would be a way to actually do a cinematic universe organically, since the McGuffin could be a chunk of kryptonite or Aquaman's trident or whatever. Something that makes the audience gasp a bit.

I heard part of SS' success was the diversity of its cast, which is one positive thing.

I watched a ton of Spawn and Waterworld as a kid, I kinda like them.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 21, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sax Solo posted:

Including childhood years, it's probably, like, Krull.

Krull is great though??

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Count Chocula posted:

Didn't James Gunn write the first one?
That's part of why Marvel is successful, they tweak the genre to the characters. Which means I get to watch a zillion dollar acid trip Doctor Strange movie. They would do the Suicide Squad heist movie everyone seems to want. That would be a way to actually do a cinematic universe organically, since the McGuffin could be a chunk of kryptonite or Aquaman's trident or whatever. Something that makes the audience gasp a bit.

I think it's less that people really want a SS heist movie, and more that the only real situations you would use a Suicide Squad would be heists, assassinations, or demolitions. Like, why do you need a plausibly deniable link to a unit you're sending in to rescue a government official in an American city? Especially when you have US military meet up with them.

Even if you were worried about violating Posse Comitatus, the solutions isn't to also send in a military squad while you're at it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

I think it's less that people really want a SS heist movie, and more that the only real situations you would use a Suicide Squad would be heists, assassinations, or demolitions.
Well, to be fair, that was pretty much the gist of the comics.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Count Chocula posted:

I heard part of SS' success was the diversity of its cast, which is one positive thing.

Who knows how accurate polls are, but lots of polls were saying Suicide Squad was the most popular recent superhero movie among women.

MOM! GET IN HERE!
In a minute honey, I'm watching the Suicide Squad!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Meanwhile Tilda Swinton and Scarlett Johansson are apparently completely believable as Asian women

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Tilda Swinton is completely believable as somebody who doses you with acid and then guides you through the best trip of your life.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Count Chocula posted:

Tilda Swinton is completely believable as somebody who doses you with acid and then guides you through the best trip of your life.

Question: Does the Dr. Strange movie ever end up visually resembling the comics, or is it the boring-rear end Inception visuals seen in the trailer the whole way through?

Also nobody in their right mind is disputing that Tilda Swinton is a great actress

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Meanwhile Tilda Swinton and Scarlett Johansson are apparently completely believable as Asian women

At least one of the directors apologized and said he made a mistake not using an Asian actor once the situation was explained to him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tilda Swinton was a Celtic wizard. Which was not a good change from an Asian dude, but it did acknowledge that she wasn't a Tibetan lady who happened to look like a Nordic lady.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Shirec posted:

Also one super awkward moment where we put in Back to the Future and found out that PG back then is different than PG now.
In regards to which part?

Question: Does the Dr. Strange movie ever end up visually resembling the comics, or is it the boring-rear end Inception visuals seen in the trailer the whole way through?
There's about eight minutes total of stuff that goes for the colorful weirdness of the comics.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 21, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Darthemed posted:

In regards to which part?

Probably the rape scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gyges posted:

Tilda Swinton was a Celtic wizard. Which was not a good change from an Asian dude, but it did acknowledge that she wasn't a Tibetan lady who happened to look like a Nordic lady.

Don't use the Thermian defense, bruh