Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
My Mod List:

• Auto Apply Oils (Mandatory)
  • Better Trophies (QoL because default ones are boring as poo poo)
  • Cheaper Respec Potions (just because... allows me to tool around and change things up pretty easily to keep things fresh on my now 120+ hour first playthrough)
  • Colored Map Markers (compatibility version)
  • Dyes Everywhere and Dyeable Starting Armor (because gently caress waiting for endgame DLC for that poo poo)
  • Friendly UI (because I like seeing the HUD I need when I need it, not all the time. More immersive)
  • HD Reworked Project (improved textures are mainly noticeable in Novigrad and Skellige)
  • Improved Sign Effects (because having a huge shockwave Aard that flattens dudes is :krad:)
  • Jump in Shallow Water (Mandatory)
  • Map Quest Objectives (Full version, works great with Colored markers to make the map less poo poo)
  • New Griffin Armor (Because I'm a fat shamer and don't like :btroll: Geralt)
  • No Dirty Lens Effect (purely a cosmetic choice)
  • No Fall Damage (Mandatory... pretend mutagens make them fall like cats along with the eyes)
  • Perks Always Active (Gameplay choice because Passives are totally a losing proposition otherwise, plus at a certain point you have too many skillpoints)
  • Refill Alcohol (because I actually ran out of Alcohest from resting when I had 300+ Dwarven Spirits, and then I needed to make White Gull :smithicide:)
  • Scabbards on NPCs (Because it makes NPCs look loving AWESOME and maintains my immersion)
  • Turbo Lighting Mod (Because I like flashy lighting)
  • Weathers Enhanced (Because holy poo poo looking out over Velen when it's foggy is BEAUTIFUL)
  • More Accurate Witcher Faces (Only used the eyes, because I like the specular shiny thing and in a lot of cutscenes it makes Geralt look even more badass)

So yeah, there's a handful of Gameplay tweaks but it's 90% QoL and cosmetic stuff. poo poo still breaks and I still have encumbrance, I don't mind those things because they're barely an annoyance. Abilities all work as normal, there's just a point to leveling over 35 since I literally maxed out all the main skills I use for all 12 slots and then some, so further skills were literally pointless... now I actually use the crossbow and bombs here and there even when I'm not running an Alchemy spec.

I'd include links, but looking back it's a ton of mods. You can use Script Merger to get all of these to play nicely, the only errors it will show are just some text type ones that don't actually cause issues ingame at all and the game still compiles just fine... they're all background errors from Enhanced Weather and Turbo Lighting, but they still play nice together and work just fine.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

As if anyone will be playing anything other than A Night With Marilyn XII in their VR Tub then.

Marilyn?!?! If you'd read the holonovels, you'd clearly be be playing An Evening with Kelly XV. Marilyn is just manipulative. I can't believe we still have to have this argument!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Bicyclops posted:

I finished the main quest (Witcher Ciri, Queen Cerys, Dark Lord Dijikstra, Geralt and Yen retired). It was satisfying. Looking forward to Blood and Wine, with a whole new map to cover, finally.

I know it's controversial but I think this is the Ideal Ending. Not that I've got it myself yet - the Dijkstra part is what I have to arrange on my next playthrough, since my gut reaction was to help Roche, Ves, and Thaler - but I think it's the best for the world and also for the characters, overall.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 20, 2017

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So I don't like this sort of gameplay but I love gritty fantasy. Any particularly good LPs that don't faff around too much?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Oh one hundred percent, but Witcher 2077 would be sweet as gently caress.

I hope Ciri has a cameo in that game.

E:FB

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Fuzz posted:

My Mod List:

Thanks for this! I'm doing my first PC and DLC playthrough (did an xbone playthrough at launch) and this is super helpful.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks to all for the mod lists, it's super helpful. I'm installing a few of the ones that sound more first-time friendly, since I'm still at Novigrad :D

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, that's the one. If you use it and enhanced weather without dark rain or something like that... makes the nights really drat pretty.

I'll pull my full mod list when I get home, haven't had darkness issues but that could be your monitor or whatever. Do you have Preserve System Gamma on?

No, I'm pretty sure it's the mod. There are a bunch of people complaining about it being too dark in the mod's page as well (and people going "it's supposed to be dark it's more realistic lol"). Sure, I want realism in my cat-eyed mutant monster slayer game.

With Mod

Without Mod

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Eifert Posting posted:

So I don't like this sort of gameplay but I love gritty fantasy. Any particularly good LPs that don't faff around too much?

There's videos up on youtube that collect all the cutscenes together, this one has at least all of the main quest. There are probably other collections that include the side quests and expansions but tbh this 13 hour video will probably do you.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fuzz posted:

don't like :btroll: Geralt

I don't even care where you stand on Yen / Triss, this is the worst opinion in the thread.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's a breastplate, not a beergut, you nonce.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

You could just play it with, like, god mode on and hack yourself the good stuff and still enjoy the landscapes and making dialogue choices.

If you want a concise LP with some commentary, I suppose I liked this one.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's no reason All Quest Objectives on Map shouldn't have been patched into the main game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's a breastplate, not a beergut, you nonce.

Too-much-turkey-breastplate, more like.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Geralt talking to Rock Trolls like he is Olivia Benson talking to a child on SVU is the best part of this game

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

2house2fly posted:

There's videos up on youtube that collect all the cutscenes together, this one has at least all of the main quest. There are probably other collections that include the side quests and expansions but tbh this 13 hour video will probably do you.
Jesus. I guess it's not unreasonable for a 100-hour game but I would not have thought there was 2-3 FPS campaigns worth of cutscenes in the base game main story alone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sindai posted:

Jesus. I guess it's not unreasonable for a 100-hour game but I would not have thought there was 2-3 FPS campaigns worth of cutscenes in the base game main story alone.

It's like MGS4 but with 20x the actual gameplay.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Too-much-turkey-breastplate, more like.

One of the reasons I'm happy I played Hearts of Stone just before finishing "Final Preparations:" You can loot a fancy gown or something in the dream sequence in Hearts of Stone, and along with the haircut the ghost decided to give Geralt while he was possessed, and the glasses you can get at the auction, and the beard that grows during "A few days pass" sequences in the main quest, he looks vaguely like Auron from Final Fantasy X, but mostly like Geralt of Rivia, Beatnik Dad.

All of the smiling fatherly sequences are so much better with the aesthetic (I know, because when Ciri relived them in a flashback, for some reason, Geralt was in more traditional garb). The sequence in Smarmy Elf Mentor's lab where Geralt casually knocks over the bottle (in my game at least), is really loving good when he's got a Dad Rock beard, is wearing a luxurious long red robe, and looks at everything through hipster glasses. We can argue over Yen and Triss forever in this thread, the most important relationship in Geralt's life as presented by the game is with Ciri, as a proud Dad who sees his biggest accomplishment as watching her come into her own.

I get why other people like the Ciri as Empress ending, but it seems like the game goes out of the way to make that ending seem painful for Geralt, like there's some painful distance between the two of them that makes them estranged.

I like the ambiguity though, even if Hearts of Stone is way, way clearer as to what the "good" ending is.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bicyclops posted:

I get why other people like the Ciri as Empress ending, but it seems like the game goes out of the way to make that ending seem painful for Geralt, like there's some painful distance between the two of them that makes them estranged.

I like the ambiguity though, even if Hearts of Stone is way, way clearer as to what the "good" ending is.

Of ocurse it's painful. Ciri finally has left Geralt's nest for good, and Geralt knows that she's in a completely different arena, and when she needs help or advice he's not gonna be around to give it to her.

It's the best ending; it hurts so good.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The whole game builds up to Geralt standing back and allowing Ciri to accomplish her goal. The game is about setting your daughter up for success and then standing back and trusting in her to do what only she can.

Gotta learn to let go, Geralt.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 21, 2017

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Empress Ciri is the real ending, Witcher Ciri is the focus group ending for babbys who need everything just so.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think the only reason I got one and not the other was that I somehow thought I had a binary choice between going to see the emperor and going to kill the crones so I decided to skip the emperor entirely. Made it a bit more satisfying at the end when geralt says to the emperor "we didn't talk about you"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
There's nothing wrong with wanting the cool witching adventures of Old Man Geralt and his smartass daughter

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Empress Ciri is the real ending, Witcher Ciri is the focus group ending for babbys who need everything just so.

Ciri going to Camelot and killing monsters along the way with Galahad beats your ending, buddy. :colbert: It even sets up a neat hook for cyberpunk 2077.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bunchy clingy dads who can't let go itt

e: let not get

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 21, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I finished the main quest (Witcher Ciri, Queen Cerys, Dark Lord Dijikstra, Geralt and Yen retired

:hfive: Same ending as me, buddy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Bunchy clingy dads who can't get go itt

It's like The Last of Us all over again!

Just beat it. Witcher Ciri and Yen. Nilfgaard wins and Temeria is restored as a vassal state. Queen Cerys brings a golden age to Skellige.

All is right with the world.

Also if you got Empress Ciri, didn't that mean you skipped the snowball fight? If so, that clearly isn't canonical and also you're a monster. :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fuzz posted:

It's like The Last of Us all over again!

Just beat it. Witcher Ciri and Yen. Nilfgaard wins and Temeria is restored as a vassal state. Queen Cerys brings a golden age to Skellige.

All is right with the world.

Also if you got Empress Ciri, didn't that mean you skipped the snowball fight? If so, that clearly isn't canonical and also you're a monster. :colbert:

No, the only thing splitting Witcher Ciri and Empress Ciri is whether or not you see Emhyr before going to Bald Mountain.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

No, the only thing splitting Witcher Ciri and Empress Ciri is whether or not you see Emhyr before going to Bald Mountain.

And your resolution of Reasons of State.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The only ending that depends on NOT doing the good dad things is dead Ciri

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

The only ending that depends on NOT doing the good dad things is dead Ciri

And even that is well written ending.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fuzz posted:

My Mod List:

And he saw that it was good, and thus it went in the second post.

Thanks Lawen.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fuzz posted:

empress ciri actually requires more good dad points to get so always do the snow ball fight.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

empress ciri actually requires more good dad points to get so always do the snow ball fight.

No it doesn't. It actually gives you more opportunities for good dad points

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No it doesn't. It actually gives you more opportunities for good dad points

i thought it took 3/5 good dad points to get empress and only 2/4 points to get witcher.

e: also Empress Ciri with free Temeria/Queen Cerys is probably the best ending for the setting and why i chose it over Witcher Ciri, even if it bums geralt out.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 21, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I wish my resolution of Reasons of State didn't lock out how the Empire turns out.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yo people who play this game, is it worth it to go after any of the ? In the middle of the Ocean in Skellige because gently caress that poo poo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yo people who play this game, is it worth it to go after any of the ? In the middle of the Ocean in Skellige because gently caress that poo poo

Not unless you hate yourself or are supremely bored.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's a good way to get an assload of money but that's about it. Maybe if you've got no quests to do but can't be bothered to progress the main quest and have a few podcasts burning a hole in your pocket it'd be a fun way to while away an afternoon.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Just know that you can fire the crossbow while manning the tiller. Do some of the ? marks when you need cash but don't go crazy and do all of them.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Paul Zuvella posted:

No, seriously no. Don't listen to people giving any sort of reason for doing this, it's extremely tedious and does nothing. You can get enough money elsewhere. If you were a person who could enjoy Skellige caches you wouldn't be asking about it so just no.