Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

"Dude, I almost had you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

hybrick

Or that post Brazilian steakhouse dump progress after 5 minutes.

Damnit, I could barely breathe for several minutes from laughing. You're trying to kill me, aren't you.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

EKDS5k posted:

Do the operators routinely ram into things in high speed mode? That puts huge stresses on the drive train although I'm surprised the wheel lugs went before the drive motors.

Do you work at a metal recycling yard? Because if so then that Bobcat is like a year old. I used to work at a dealer and one of the local recyclers would lease like 3 brand new Bobcats at a time for a year and they would come back absolutely trashed. Severe duty tires worn completely beyond the wear limit, covered in grime, most of the paint and decals gone, huge scratches and dents in the body, hydraulic oil the colour of black coffee, etc. It's legit impressive how much wear and tear they put on those things.

No i work in an aluminum mill. The Bobcat works in the furnace, picking up piles of scrap with the jaws it's got on there and moving them around. That Bobcat is actually like 4 years old. I remember we when we got it new.

*edit* well i guess you could say it's a metal recycling place. we recycle aluminum lol.

djhaloeight fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 19, 2017

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

djhaloeight posted:

No i work in an aluminum mill. The Bobcat works in the furnace, picking up piles of scrap with the jaws it's got on there and moving them around. That Bobcat is actually like 4 years old. I remember we when we got it new.

*edit* well i guess you could say it's a metal recycling place. we recycle aluminum lol.

Curious, how do you deal with detecting contaminated scrap coming in, and/or detecting it in outgoing product? For example, gallium and mercury, which both invade the crystal structure of aluminum products and severely weaken them.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

kastein posted:

Curious, how do you deal with detecting contaminated scrap coming in, and/or detecting it in outgoing product? For example, gallium and mercury, which both invade the crystal structure of aluminum products and severely weaken them.

Well in the incoming scrap goes thru a large machine with a magnet that removes any iron contaminants, and when the scrap is melted in the furnaces argon and boron and various other chemicals are added which causes contaminants to float to
the top of the molten aluminum. These impurities are then skimmed off into large pans. Chemistry is verified in the lab before the furnace is brought online to the continuous caster which feeds the 2 stand tandem hot mill which produces coils. That being said, I don't work in the furnace so I could be missing some steps. I run a 2 stand tandem cold mill which further reduces the thickness of the hot band coils.

*edit*
we also do not allow excessively oily or dirty scrap or scrap that contains too much zinc, iron, copper, silicon etc.

djhaloeight fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 19, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

djhaloeight posted:

Well in the incoming scrap goes thru a large machine with a magnet that removes any iron contaminants, and when the scrap is melted in the furnaces argon and boron and various other chemicals are added which causes contaminants to float to
the top of the molten aluminum. These impurities are then skimmed off into large pans. Chemistry is verified in the lab before the furnace is brought online to the continuous caster which feeds the 2 stand tandem hot mill which produces coils. That being said, I don't work in the furnace so I could be missing some steps. I run a 2 stand tandem cold mill which further reduces the thickness of the hot band coils.

*edit*
we also do not allow excessively oily or dirty scrap or scrap that contains too much zinc, iron, copper, silicon etc.

Thanks! I'd always wanted to know that too.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

djhaloeight posted:

I guess aluminum isn't so hard on the machines, then. You should see the ones that work in the steel recyclers. Just shitkicked to hell and back inside of a year and I pity the poor suckers who buy them used after the leases are up.

That's basically my ideal job, btw: Come in to work every day, drag heavy poo poo around and crush it with the grapple, all while not giving a gently caress about the machine itself because once a year the company will hand me the keys to a brand new one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EKDS5k posted:

I guess aluminum isn't so hard on the machines, then. You should see the ones that work in the steel recyclers. Just shitkicked to hell and back inside of a year and I pity the poor suckers who buy them used after the leases are up.

That's basically my ideal job, btw: Come in to work every day, drag heavy poo poo around and crush it with the grapple, all while not giving a gently caress about the machine itself because once a year the company will hand me the keys to a brand new one.

I'm kind of surprised the lessor doesn't come to the site, sign the termination paperwork, and simply drive them directly into the furnaces once the lease is up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are leases for machinery not like normal leases? You don't have to take care of it at all?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Cojawfee posted:

Are leases for machinery not like normal leases? You don't have to take care of it at all?

If its like a lot of stuff in industry, the lease price is almost the same as buying it, but you get rid of it at the end of the year. Its also a tax write-off vs. the purchase/depreciation. Then the company you leased it from either a) leases it again or b) sells it off at way more than its worth to unsuspecting people as a "just came back from lease, she looks rough but she's been well maintained" special

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Siochain posted:

If its like a lot of stuff in industry, the lease price is almost the same as buying it, but you get rid of it at the end of the year. Its also a tax write-off vs. the purchase/depreciation. Then the company you leased it from either a) leases it again or b) sells it off at way more than its worth to unsuspecting people as a "just came back from lease, she looks rough but she's been well maintained" special
Yeah. It's also remarkably hard to truly break the kind of kit that most factories lease, and even worn-out stuff is worth a decent chunk for refurbishment with things like centreless grinders.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

My dad described it as sold three times when he sold material handling stuff. Each time they put on a fresh coat of paint and new bearings if you were lucky. Materials handling stuff is incredibly durable. Capital lease ($1 payment at the end), rental fleet, sale. The total average gross revenue from each of those is 3x the msrp sale price. The sale typically came with a service contract if you were smart and didn't want to pay $500+/hour for a tech to come out RIGHT NOW to fix your down machine.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

They sold them a service contract, and the customer is supposed to stay on top of things like oil changes, greasing, etc. But "normal wear and tear" on say a car, vs. a piece of equipment in a factory, is a completely different thing. Bobcat sells a machine that they say can be ridden hard for 8 hours a day, every day in a steel mill and still be covered by warranty, so nobody complains when the machine comes back looking like poo poo.

Plus like InitialDave said, it's hard to really break a lot of equipment. It comes off lease, worn out parts get replaced (and the cost is rolled into the original lease), new paint is applied, and it's sold to some farmer who isn't going to be nearly as hard on it, or a bottom tier rental company who will at least to the absolute minimum to keep it moving for another 5 years before auctioning it off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That kind of stuff is built goddamn tough and service parts are stocked everywhere for a reason. It gets used hard. A machine that small that weighs 3000-9000lbs (depending on exact model and options) is pretty dense, they don't make them out of sheetmetal like they do cars.

On the other hand here is this mallcrawler JK pimped out with stick-on bullshit and a very sad dana 30 frontend.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

<:mad:>

e: angry arms doesn't work <:mad:>

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kastein posted:

That kind of stuff is built goddamn tough and service parts are stocked everywhere for a reason. It gets used hard. A machine that small that weighs 3000-9000lbs (depending on exact model and options) is pretty dense, they don't make them out of sheetmetal like they do cars.

I was talking to someone in agricultural machinery and for them, even if building it tougher doubles your build costs, you make that back and more, compared to if you were to lease out the stuff destined for the non - hire markets.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

kastein posted:

On the other hand here is this mallcrawler JK pimped out with stick-on bullshit and a very sad dana 30 frontend.

Repair costs don't skyrocket relative to the price of the unit like cars, either. I had to replace an entire boom section from a 60' boom lift and I think the total cost including labour was under $10k.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

The loving tube broke? I thought the 30 just liked to lunch diffs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

JK ones seem to have that issue, I'll let the JK owners here give more info since they're definitely more informed than I am on the subject.

The JK dana 30 uses a different tube size (wall thickness at least) iirc, and is also a different gearset and housing from regular 30s. So I know very little about it.

Regular old 30s (high pinion at least) are relatively safe up to about a 31" tire locked on stock shafts, 33" open, in the terrain I usually played in. 33" locked with alloys and good ujoints is fine too. They eat 4.88 gearsets pretty easily and the larger the tire gets the more you risk blowing a gearset up regardless of the ratio, basically. The stock open carrier is pretty noodly and weak but so far I've been lucky.

I've never seen a regular 30 break a tube, have seen them bend one, and inner Cs like to bend on all 30s if you don't gusset them.

Failures like that are mostly the territory of JKs though. Not exactly sure why. I have seen pictures of them with cracked in half tubes at the LCA mount welds and also others like the one I posted.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

EKDS5k posted:

They sold them a service contract, and the customer is supposed to stay on top of things like oil changes, greasing, etc. But "normal wear and tear" on say a car, vs. a piece of equipment in a factory, is a completely different thing. Bobcat sells a machine that they say can be ridden hard for 8 hours a day, every day in a steel mill and still be covered by warranty, so nobody complains when the machine comes back looking like poo poo.

Plus like InitialDave said, it's hard to really break a lot of equipment. It comes off lease, worn out parts get replaced (and the cost is rolled into the original lease), new paint is applied, and it's sold to some farmer who isn't going to be nearly as hard on it, or a bottom tier rental company who will at least to the absolute minimum to keep it moving for another 5 years before auctioning it off.

poo poo more like ridden hard 24 hours a day 7 days a week, with moron operators that barely do any PM checks, let alone add any fluids. We've had more than a few Taylor forklift engines seized up due to no one checking oil for weeks but marking everything a-ok on the daily PM checklists. For as much hell as we put them through, the equipment lasts pretty drat long. Our current forklifts in the mill are going on 7 years old, most with over 25k hours on them since they run 24/7.
They're in the process of buying and giving us brand new Hyster and Yale trucks.

djhaloeight fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 21, 2017

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

First reaction was being angry and thinking hella flush had gone to far.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently newer porsches have a bit of an issue.

so if you have one, don't hit potholes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Have some context with your images http://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/948382-strut-tower-failure-5.html

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Better than it bursting into flames I guess.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
If we're going to talk about badass industrial use vehicles the Tug tow tractor deserves a nod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBZZcfFAG6A

When I worked at FedEx, I witnessed these things getting whipped hard all day every day, only ever saw one break, the 2 speed automatic transmission in it hosed up. Never saw one with busted studs or axles or anything.

As a bonus, a lot of the older ones use the Ford 4.9/300ci Straight Six.

How can you not love a vehicle who's entire front is just a goddamned solid steel plate.

Tug Drifting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy_iAy0qWlw

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 21, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vanagoon posted:

When I worked at FedEx, I witnessed these things getting whipped hard all day every day, only ever saw one break, the 2 speed automatic transmission in it hosed up. Never saw one with busted studs or axles or anything.

Sanctum had some good stories about driving busted airport service vehicles in the OSHA thread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That dude has obviously done it for real, too. On an airport, the only brake on a service vehicle that works is the handbrake, if that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Powershift posted:

Apparently newer porsches have a bit of an issue.

so if you have one, don't hit potholes.

Dorman should make a kit with a cap and some self taping screws like they did for the Chrysler minivans.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Vanagoon posted:

If we're going to talk about badass industrial use vehicles the Tug tow tractor deserves a nod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBZZcfFAG6A

As a bonus, a lot of the older ones use the Ford 4.9/300ci Straight Six.

How can you not love a vehicle who's entire front is just a goddamned solid steel plate.

Tug Drifting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy_iAy0qWlw

Tugs loving own, they're the best things around to drive like a total moron because a) they're not yours and b) they're basically indestructible. Well, except when the station manager was watching.

Under the right conditions, you could pull off the most incredible wheelies with them, and on days when there was extensive de-icing activity (our airline would de-ice at the gate) the concrete on the ramp would be slick enough that you could drift for days. Considering how we drove those things, I'm surprised the only time I ever crashed one was when we were chasing an escaped dog around the ramp.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrChips posted:

Considering how we drove those things, I'm surprised the only time I ever crashed one was when we were chasing an escaped dog around the ramp.

:frogon:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Dog's have all-paw drive and low gearing out the hole, great 60' times.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Whoops wrong thread

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Another Tug memory, once I saw a ramp agent butt the front end of a tug against the side of a building and do a burnout, and when he backed up, it had torn up the pavement more than it hurt the tug tires.

There were steel railings surrounding all the buildings at the hub, mind.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

I'm surprised the only time I ever crashed one was when we were chasing an escaped dog around the ramp.

Chips has the best stories.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So it was a beautiful July afternoon; sunny and warm, without a cloud in the sky. I was working a double shift that day (like every other loving day that summer) tossing bags and turning airplanes. I'm not a hundred percent clear on the details, but apparently someone working in the bag room, where we would receive and manually sort every piece of luggage inbound and outbound, decided it would be a good idea to open up one of the many kennels that would come through during the course of a normal day. Even though this wasn't expressly forbidden by the company, it was also not a very good idea for obvious reasons. Most of the time the dogs would be happy to get out, stretch their legs and get some much-needed pets before continuing on their journey. This day though, one particular dog had other ideas.

Instead of just hanging around, the second the ramp attendant opened the kennel, this dog loving bolted; across the bag room, jumped clear over the carousel and out the door and onto the ramp. Needless to say, this caused a small amount of panic in the bag room, so a couple of them headed out to try and corral the stray pooch, all whilst trying to avoid making a discernable scene for the passengers in the terminal up above. Now for a few minutes the rampies are doing a pretty good job keeping the dog more or less corralled out of sight, but because I'm telling this story, you just know that isn't gonna stay that way for long. The dog, tongue flapping in the wind and tail wagging madly, breaks through the line of rampies and is now out in the middle of the ramp, in plain view of everyone in the terminal...among them, our notoriously short-tempered station manager, whose eye was naturally drawn to the growing commotion on the ramp.

On the other side of the terminal, enjoying a moment of calm sitting on my baggage tug, waiting for my next flight to arrive, I hear the radio crackle to life with his angry voice:

"All Available Turn Crews - GET. THAT. DOG. NOW."

The urgency of his voice was palpable; not only was madder than a brush that this happened in the first place, he wasn't about to explain to a tearful family why Buddy was murked before their very eyes by the airport authority...They had a strict "shoot-to-kill" policy for any animals they spotted out on the taxiways or runways, and since our ramp essentially backed into both, there was no time to lose. A cacaphony of radio traffic ensued, and I unhooked the train of baggage carts hooked up and raced off to try and help.

When I rounded the corner to that side of the terminal, what I saw was nothing short of poetry in motion; tugs racing around randomly, people alternately chasing and scattering as they tried to both corral the dog and avoid being run over, the station manager's angry little face pressed to the glass up in the terminal and one gleeful dog having a wonderful play, racing toward the active runway, an airport authority truck sitting ominously between the dog and his goal. Seeing the dog running in my direction, I jokingly call "tally-ho" into the radio and join the chase, weaving back and forth as I honk the horn, trying desperately to keep the dog on the ramp and off the evening news. I see a flash of white in the corner of my eye and slam on the brakes, smoking the tires and skidding sideways as I broadside another tug, it's driver no doubt target-fixated on the dog. Looking over at the other driver we both shrug it off and continue on our way, as I begin to imagine what colour the station manager's face turned as he witnessed us ricochet off each other like a pair of bumper cars at the fairgrounds.

Seemingly a couple moments later, the dog just decided to give up and laid down on the ramp, satisfied at the chaos they just spawned. A ramper scooped them up and carried the dog back to their kennel, this concluding the mayhem. The next day, everyone got a stern dressing-down, and we were told in no uncertain terms that kennels should NEVER be opened under any circumstances.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

MrChips posted:

So it was a beautiful July afternoon; sunny and warm, without a cloud in the sky. I was working a double shift that day (like every other loving day that summer) tossing bags and turning airplanes. I'm not a hundred percent clear on the details, but apparently someone working in the bag room, where we would receive and manually sort every piece of luggage inbound and outbound, decided it would be a good idea to open up one of the many kennels that would come through during the course of a normal day. Even though this wasn't expressly forbidden by the company, it was also not a very good idea for obvious reasons. Most of the time the dogs would be happy to get out, stretch their legs and get some much-needed pets before continuing on their journey. This day though, one particular dog had other ideas.

Instead of just hanging around, the second the ramp attendant opened the kennel, this dog loving bolted; across the bag room, jumped clear over the carousel and out the door and onto the ramp. Needless to say, this caused a small amount of panic in the bag room, so a couple of them headed out to try and corral the stray pooch, all whilst trying to avoid making a discernable scene for the passengers in the terminal up above. Now for a few minutes the rampies are doing a pretty good job keeping the dog more or less corralled out of sight, but because I'm telling this story, you just know that isn't gonna stay that way for long. The dog, tongue flapping in the wind and tail wagging madly, breaks through the line of rampies and is now out in the middle of the ramp, in plain view of everyone in the terminal...among them, our notoriously short-tempered station manager, whose eye was naturally drawn to the growing commotion on the ramp.

On the other side of the terminal, enjoying a moment of calm sitting on my baggage tug, waiting for my next flight to arrive, I hear the radio crackle to life with his angry voice:

"All Available Turn Crews - GET. THAT. DOG. NOW."

The urgency of his voice was palpable; not only was madder than a brush that this happened in the first place, he wasn't about to explain to a tearful family why Buddy was murked before their very eyes by the airport authority...They had a strict "shoot-to-kill" policy for any animals they spotted out on the taxiways or runways, and since our ramp essentially backed into both, there was no time to lose. A cacaphony of radio traffic ensued, and I unhooked the train of baggage carts hooked up and raced off to try and help.

When I rounded the corner to that side of the terminal, what I saw was nothing short of poetry in motion; tugs racing around randomly, people alternately chasing and scattering as they tried to both corral the dog and avoid being run over, the station manager's angry little face pressed to the glass up in the terminal and one gleeful dog having a wonderful play, racing toward the active runway, an airport authority truck sitting ominously between the dog and his goal. Seeing the dog running in my direction, I jokingly call "tally-ho" into the radio and join the chase, weaving back and forth as I honk the horn, trying desperately to keep the dog on the ramp and off the evening news. I see a flash of white in the corner of my eye and slam on the brakes, smoking the tires and skidding sideways as I broadside another tug, it's driver no doubt target-fixated on the dog. Looking over at the other driver we both shrug it off and continue on our way, as I begin to imagine what colour the station manager's face turned as he witnessed us ricochet off each other like a pair of bumper cars at the fairgrounds.

Seemingly a couple moments later, the dog just decided to give up and laid down on the ramp, satisfied at the chaos they just spawned. A ramper scooped them up and carried the dog back to their kennel, this concluding the mayhem. The next day, everyone got a stern dressing-down, and we were told in no uncertain terms that kennels should NEVER be opened under any circumstances.

:allears: This is wonderful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Chips has the best stories.

He really does.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I suddenly feel like I missed out by being stuck in the cargo warehouse after completing my ramp rat training. :saddowns:

Edit: I should try and find my pictures of the F40 from LHR that came in barely strapped down. Pretty sure that would qualify as thread content.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 22, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

rdb posted:

Dorman should make a kit with a cap and some self taping screws like they did for the Chrysler minivans.

Lol, what is that Dorman story? Not a Chrysler guy.

Will have to admit and have to give them credit...they spot the flaws and create a product to solve the poo poo. Amazed they didn't come up with a Northstar headbolt fix for $45.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Lol, what is that Dorman story? Not a Chrysler guy.

https://i.imgur.com/x9OEYiD.jpg

Apparently a half-dozen rivets are enough to attach your new strut tower repair to a flaky pile of rust.