Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I like that there are at least two separate vampire rulers in Warhammer Fantasy taken out not for being monsters, but because they were foiling someone else's political ambitions. Three, if you count Ushoran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Osthangs sound pretty cool. Is there any art of them in the book?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The Links would probably be better off in an Aysle-dominant space than Living Land. Because then at least you've got magic stuff you can use.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Wapole Languray posted:

Atomic Highway is literally an unlicensed Mad Max RPG complete with Road Warrior class. It's legit a really well put together indie game, is free, and has car build rules which are just simple point buy stuff.
I've been meaning to check this out to see if its system can handle the whole "running foot battle atop a convoy of cars at war with each other" thing from Road Warrior and Fury Road.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Osthangs sound pretty cool. Is there any art of them in the book?

Nope. There's almost no art of any of the creatures in any of the realm books, really. They needed the space for walls of text.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JackMann posted:

I like that there are at least two separate vampire rulers in Warhammer Fantasy taken out not for being monsters, but because they were foiling someone else's political ambitions. Three, if you count Ushoran.

When we get to the Lahmians, you'll see a lot of the subtext can be taken as 'We object much more to the fact that they are women of ambition than that they are bloodsucking monsters.'

I will let Kate Beaton explain: http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=285 Behold ye, the horror of The New Women!

Also note that comic is the exact way you ought to do the Lahmians.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 20, 2017

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Look, I don't object to the blood-drinking."

"Of course not."

"After all, who hasn't thought about tearing a peasant's throat open and drinking the sweet vital fluid from their veins?"

"Not me, certainly."

"But letting women have... ideas?"

"Ludicrous."

"Best get the stakes, then."

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

JackMann posted:

"Look, I don't object to the blood-drinking."

"Of course not."

"After all, who hasn't thought about tearing a peasant's throat open and drinking the sweet vital fluid from their veins?"

"Not me, certainly."

"But letting women have... ideas?"

"Ludicrous."

"Best get the stakes, then."

Mostly this just makes me want to run a society where everyone is a vampire, but nobody knows that everyone else is a vampire, so any time someone gets revealed, everyone gangs up to kill the foul creature (while secretly hoping that this will divert attention from themselves)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kaza42 posted:

Mostly this just makes me want to run a society where everyone is a vampire, but nobody knows that everyone else is a vampire, so any time someone gets revealed, everyone gangs up to kill the foul creature (while secretly hoping that this will divert attention from themselves)

Fund it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kaza42 posted:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At least they're just vampires and not COMMUNISTS.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Night10194 posted:

Vampires keep blood for themselves while feeding off the masses, so they're capitalists and thus OK.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Night10194 posted:

"All citizens are clearance Red. It is nyet true that some are more Red than others."

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

"All citizens are clearance Red. It is nyet true that some are more Red than others."

"You have nothing to lose but your blood!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kaza42 posted:

There was this rules-lite homebrew RPG in the vein of Nightlife and WoD that was set in NYC in the 80s, and the conceit is that a significant fraction of the population is some kind of monster...like more than 1 in 10. I'll find it one of these days. I hope. I think it was hosted on Geocities or Angelfire or something like that, and I don't even remember the name.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Night10194 posted:

Honestly they'd have been kinda cool in a 'We need to put down these stupid bastards before they draw the hawthorn and silver down on us.' kind of way if they'd stayed there.

And if humans had had any teeth to make vampires want to stay hidden.

Yeah, that's always been my problem with WoD. The supernaturals don't really have much reason to stay hidden. I mean, you could openly market ghouling people as a wonder drug that cures all sorts of illnesses by glossing over the drawbacks.

Literally the only thing keeping 2e mages in check was that reality itself hated them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Well nWoD has always been better about that than oWoD. In nWoD people are a lot less helpless in the face of the supernatural and Hunter conspiracies are some of the scariest groups of motherfuckers in the setting. Openly lording your vampire status over the mortals is all well and good until you end up being dissected alive by Cheiron's R&D department.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Literally the only thing keeping 2e mages in check was that reality itself hated them.

To be fair that does seem like a very good way to keep someone in check.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's always been my problem with WoD. The supernaturals don't really have much reason to stay hidden. I mean, you could openly market ghouling people as a wonder drug that cures all sorts of illnesses by glossing over the drawbacks.

That Howard Chaykin comic I read, Bite Club, had vampirism as the new beauty craze. Ads on TV like 'why get Botox when you can be a vampire?' and a few characters seducing vampires so they can get bitten.

I don't like the plot of it but it's got a bunch of great ideas to steal for an RPG, especially the 'Scarface but Cubans are vampires' premise, and the caste system where vampires created by bats are higher than the children of two vampires who are higher than Turned vamps who are higher than Ghouls.

Somebody smarter than me can mix the weird blood draining cars from Fury Road with Vampires.

Merit: HIGH OCTANE CRAZY BLOOD
Drawback: every vampire wants your blood because it acts like vampire cocaine
Benefit: some mechanical thing like an extra Action Point or reroll

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Count Chocula posted:

Somebody smarter than me can mix the weird blood draining cars from Fury Road with Vampires.

The cars weren't blood-draining. The tubes went into the war boys, who needed blood transfusions due to radiation poisoning.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Polaris RPG(2016)
Part 8, Book 1, Chapter 1: The World of the Deep, section 1.2: Civilizations of the Deep

After a week of real life-isms taking up time, Polaris is back! Let's jump straight into the action fantasy geography textbook for the closest real life nation analogue yet for the USSR, featuring an iron curtain, gulags, closed cities a party/not party social divide and a general ice theme with our next nation...

The Polar Alliance

I feel as if the flag designer for these was paid by the hour. It's the only way that these overcomplicated monstrosities make any sense.

The Polar Alliance lives where you'd expect them to based on their name and flag. Their territory is sparsely populated and you probably won't realize you're in it until you encounter one of their major settlements.

History:
The Alliance started with Paul Quercy, an insane explorer who headed into the frozen north that few thought was worth colonizing. He found enough tri-terranium for some minor extraction settlements to carve out a living but nothing real came of the territory until the year 400, when Quercy discovered a giant cave tens of kilometers across inside the Arlis seamount ridge, filled with bioluminescent and and oxygen producing plants, centered around a lake where marine mammals gathered and reproduced. Despite some initial friction with the animals(remember that they're sentient and wizards, though the book won't outright state that until the bestiary at the end of book 2), who were wary about some weird apes building highrises around their sex club, the cave was immediately colonized and turned into a major agricultural station. Even better, in 408 it turned out that the glowing plants were actually biological machines created by the Geneticians and that deeper down the caverns there was a Genetician research station for biomechanical science and artificial intelligence, exploration of which which would later result in the creation of androids and cyborgs in 543.

Over the course of the 5th century, Arlis developed it's new technology in secret until 512 when it linked up with several outlying communities and officially formed the Polar Alliance under Primarch Alexander. Next came another 50 years of isolationism until 568 when it allied with the Hegemony to join in on the invasion of the Coral Repubic(wait what? When did this happen? Is this an editing error that was meant to say Fuego Liberdad?) but flubbed their contribution by having it's entire fleet destroyed by pirates at the battle of the Lau-Havre Through(which is near the Coral Republic so that is where they were going but the book never though to mention this new war before in the Hegemony sub sub chapter and it won't be mentioned again the Coral Republic section). At around the same time the Hegemony cancels the Exeter Directive, their alleged secret weapon, with no explanation, resulting a failure of the invasion. Alexander and Viramis both blame the other for being the deciding factor in the defeat and tensions have been high between the Alliance and the Hegemony ever since. Most recently, the Leviathan Community wiped out an Alliance fleet that passed too close to their territory. Although technically the party at fault, the Primarch is considering a retaliatory action.

Society
The Polar Alliance's population of two million is split between about 600.000 chosen ones who are allowed to live in the capital of Arlis and the rest, a lower class that mainly operates the mining sites in the Arctic ocean. The inhabitants of Arlis are all either fertile or scientists working on the Genetician base with the fertile citizen living in the main garden cavern and the scientists down below near the research station. The latter area is completely off limits to outsiders and is also where the Alliance's sole ruler, the Primarch resides. The Alliance shuns political opponents of the Primarch and mutants, sending them out to the mining bases or conscripting them into the army at best and banishing them to the surface at worst, leading to no small amount of discontent among the population. The inhabitants of the outer stations of the Polar Alliance rarely if ever get admitted into Arlis and are charged with resource extraction. The Primarch protects them from outsiders with his androids and cyborgs which act as peace keepers and in return they handle trade with other nations. Life standards outside Arlis are low and the population owes their survival more to their own resourcefulness than to the meager rations the Primarch sends them from the farming caverns.

Territory
The Polar Alliance is fairly small with only eight cities and 30 mining settlements. The capital is built inside the undersea mountains of Arlis. The upper level houses a great garden, many farms and luxurious houses for the Alliance's elite citizen, the fertile and those workers lucky enough to be chosen to maintain the cavern rather than toil in the mines elsewhere. The lake at the center of the cavern serves as a breeding ground all kinds of marine mammals except for orcas. Orcas are dicks and don't get along with other cetaceans as we'll learn in the bestiary. Below that are the research centers and laboratories are, as well as the Patriarch's own residence. Nobody from outside the city has ever been down here and the only way into the city are two 12 kilometer long tunnels lined with defensive installations. Surrounding the city are more defense stations, factories and ship hangars. Outside the capital the Polar Alliance has only conventional undersea stations focussed on extracting Cylast(the previous page said the Alliance mines tri-terranium instead).

Armed Forces
Although badly depleted due to recent events, the Alliance is still kept strong due to two natural advances, the first of which being that the capital is practically invulnerable from harm due to it's position behind narrow choke points and many defensive structures. Going by the size figures given for them, a Hegemonic Altantis flat out won't fit through the tunnels. The second are their cyborgs and androids, which make up their special forces due to their unbreakable morale, superhuman reflexes and advanced tactics learning algorithms(which doesn't exactly explain how they get wrecked each time they move out from their borders). Polar Alliance cruisers are smaller than other nations but carry heavier armament for their size. Aside from it's cruiser the Alliance also operates a special forces unit called Spectra division, which is exclusively made up out of cyborgs engineered to operate at high pressure and low oxygen levels inside special frigates. These same qualities makes them good infantry too, which also uses them extensively. The Polar Alliance has 10 total Vulcan-class heavy cruisers, each the flagship of a patrol that protects one of the Alliance's 10 regions. A patrol consists of 1 cruiser, 6 Starlight-class destroyers, 12 Wraith-class frigates, troop transports and drone deployment ships. Fleet officers are exclusively from Arlis, troops and seamen from the outlying territories.

Personalities
-Primarch Alexander
The Supreme Leader of the Polar Alliance has not been seen in public for 10 years, communicating only through the Scientific Council or an android named Alpha. He lives secluded in the lowest levels of Arlis and is a despot who tolerates no opposition. Nobody outside his country likes him. Not many inside do either.

-Alpha
Alexander's android mouthpiece among the population that lives in the garden city of Arlis' upper level. It seems perfectly human in appearance and exhibits human behaviours but never shows any emotion. Rumours are spreading that Alpha doesn't speak for the Primarch and is ruling by itself.

-Ember Krystchef
Ex mercenary in his forties, current commander of the Polar Alliance fleets. Excellent officer and good strategist but considers the Polar Alliance's strong and versatile androids and cyborgs to be mere cannon fodder and will argue against their use at every available opportunity. So far the Primarch has not given heed to his warnings. Over the course of his tenure, Krystchef has thrown eight of his personal assistant androids out of his flagship's airlock.

-Paolus
Ambassador of the Alliance in Equinox. Doesn't show any emotions, leading to rumours about his potential lack of humanity. Is blatantly an android according to his official art and doesn't even remotely pass for a human. They have

-Professor Helm Garrad
Head of the intelligence services, in his fifties. Curious that the Polar Alliance npc's get no exact ages given while other nations do. Disliked by anybody who ever met him.

Alexander doesn't get a picture so here's the number #1 winner of the "most likely to survive the inevitable AI uprising that the book keeps hinting at but refuses to outright mention" contest, Ember Kyrstchef:

Stations

Arlis
Population: 900.000
Depth: -2.200m
Fertile population: 49%
Mutant population: 0.00%
Page 34 specifically said Arlis had 600.000 inhabitants. We're now on page 36 and that number has grown by 50% Proofreading! While I'm at it, remember that big rear end dome in Keryss, the "largest city under the ocean"? Well Arlis, despite only having 5% of it's population has a bigger one. With the latest revision it it's population numbers, the upper level is now off limits to outsiders as well. It is still exclusive to the societal elites, but the cetecean boning zone has expanded to be multiple lakes as well. New here is that the city is on the front lines with the Burrowers and despite tensions with the Hegemony, Alexander has sent them an emissary to obtain more weapons to fight them. The Polar Alliance also doesn't use those loving tunnels that would be way better explained with a single map than individually listing each station's connections so yay.

Barrow
Population: 60.000
Depth: -250m
Fertile population: 23%
Mutant population: 34%
This city is similar to Leonid, which is again, a town the game hasn't discussed yet. Barrow is the public facing part of the Polar Alliance where quality of life is higher than other stations due to trade with the Hegemony. Android presence is kept behind the scenes here and visitors are allowed.

Iagna
Population: 300.000
Depth: -225 to -350m
Fertile population: 10%
Mutant population: 20%
Iagna is a dreary and oppressive resource extraction camp where the inhabitants toil away in the mines beneath the emotionless stares of security androids and management that they never see. Mutants are treated as disposable slave labour despite protests and whispers of a rebellion forming.

Leonid
Population: 48.000
Depth: -250 to 350m
Fertile population: 12%
Mutant population: 42%
Leonid is a fortress city protecting the Bering Strait and supplying the four defense stations surrounding it. From here the Polar Alliance's surface sites are accessed and there are rumours that mutants are exiled from here with little or no equipment to survive on the surface. In other words, it bears no resemblance to Barrow at all.

Oursa
Population: 36.000
Depth: -225m
Fertile population: 23%
Mutant population: 6%
A generic city that recently had a failed rebel uprising. There are reports of the sector's fleet snooping around here but diplomats are swearing high and low that those are just exercises. Tensions are mounting anyway.

Siberia
Population: 65.000
Depth: -300 to -350m
Fertile population: 11%
Mutant population: 23%
Another average community, this time at war with orcas. Currently losing but Spectra Division forces have just arrived and could easily swing the balance. The SMSO dislikes this situation and is likely to soon sanction the Polar Alliance over this war.

Up next: the Coral Republic

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Count Chocula posted:

That Howard Chaykin comic I read, Bite Club, had vampirism as the new beauty craze. Ads on TV like 'why get Botox when you can be a vampire?' and a few characters seducing vampires so they can get bitten.

I don't like the plot of it but it's got a bunch of great ideas to steal for an RPG, especially the 'Scarface but Cubans are vampires' premise, and the caste system where vampires created by bats are higher than the children of two vampires who are higher than Turned vamps who are higher than Ghouls.

This needs some Daybreakers in it, with it's Subsiders, who are vampires that can't find blood, so they start cannibalizing their own or attacking wildlife in the forest, which turns said wildlife into vampires, right until the sun comes up in which they catch fire and burn the whole forest down.

JackMann posted:

The cars weren't blood-draining. The tubes went into the war boys, who needed blood transfusions due to radiation poisoning.

Except you're forgetting that Max had the Hi-Octane Crazy Blood. They even tattooed it on his back. Nux even mentions he feels different from the normal top-ups with Max as his blood bag.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LordAbaddon posted:

Well nWoD has always been better about that than oWoD. In nWoD people are a lot less helpless in the face of the supernatural and Hunter conspiracies are some of the scariest groups of motherfuckers in the setting. Openly lording your vampire status over the mortals is all well and good until you end up being dissected alive by Cheiron's R&D department.

Also, despite the price of gas going up, it's still not that expensive to just buy a lighter and a gallon of gas at the gas station.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The best strategy a vampire hunter can have is to know somebody at the county recorder's office so they can find out which building to burn down at 9am.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

The best strategy a vampire hunter can have is to know somebody at the county recorder's office so they can find out which building to burn down at 9am.

One of the legit best kill-methods in the old Hunter book for the Reckoning is the one where they get a vampire's red-eye put into a holding pattern.

Until after sunrise.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Young Freud posted:

Except you're forgetting that Max had the Hi-Octane Crazy Blood. They even tattooed it on his back. Nux even mentions he feels different from the normal top-ups with Max as his blood bag.

Right, but the blood still went into Nux, not into his car.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Young Freud posted:

This needs some Daybreakers in it, with it's Subsiders, who are vampires that can't find blood, so they start cannibalizing their own or attacking wildlife in the forest, which turns said wildlife into vampires, right until the sun comes up in which they catch fire and burn the whole forest down.

Remember all those filthy diseased people at the base of Joe's mountain palace? That's probably what counts as "normal" quality blood for Nux. Max is HIGH OCTANE by dint of being an able-bodied guy with a trick knee.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Young Freud posted:

Max is a universal donor, not starving to death and dehydrated, and doesn't have blood cancer (or -everything- cancer, like the Warboys). That's all that means.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

Or just go to a public library. Requests for info from the county property appraiser are pretty common at the one I work at.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes - Heroes:Part 1

The associated story for this picture is a bunch of Heroes, sitting in an open bar, betting on a bunch of Heroes killing Beasts and streaming it on the internet.
Because we have to make Heroes look as bad as possible. Also because we want to make heroes look as bad as possible, there's this sidebar quote.

quote:

Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this. But, there are so many deserving of retribution… and there is so little time. —Alan Moore, Watchmen
Rorschach: Aspirational figure.

The legends always go that whenever the darkness births a monster outside the city walls, a hero rises up to defeat them. These stories propagate like wildfire because who doesn't want to imagine themselves the hero who takes up arms, stands up to terror and prove themselves brave in the foe that everyone agrees is unwanted? No shades of gray exist when the dragon is razing the countryside and demands tribute.

Modern heroes would never admit to thinking of themselves this way. Asked why they take up the hunt they simply reply "if we don't, who will?" That their power is a burden that demands action. That they alone have the clarity to see what must be done and justice demands that they do it.

quote:

The trouble is what they call "Wrong" is something they barely understand and can't really define. It's "Wrong" because it's different, because it goes against the familiar status quo. A Hero’s instincts tell him that the ripples upending his dreamscape when he sleeps are not supposed to be there. When he tries to explain it to his friends and family, they advise him to take a vacation from stress or see a therapist, and ignore what seems to him an obvious threat. He can’t see beneath the surface of the dream, so his imagination fills in the rest; what do millennia of human history tell us lurks in the unknown to disturb the peaceful slumber of the unwary? Monsters, of course.
The book goes off again on how Heroes think they're special and that they need to show people their real purpose. And therefore they're wrong. But, honestly, they have nightmares. The primordial dream is the one telling them that these things are wrong, it's not their fault that they can't dream deep. The game suggests that Heroes should just suffer in silence forever because the only ones who are allowed to judge those that are different are Beasts.

The Many Faces of Heroism

quote:

Not everyone reacts the same way to this shallow awareness of the Primordial Dream. Some don’t become Heroes at all, instead finding other ways to indulge their primal instincts or learning to tune them out. A rare few even take it upon themselves to help the Beasts they track down, heeding the message that humanity can only progress by accepting its fears and turning them to productive change. Generally, though, human nature reacts poorly to the unknown and the different, with irrational fear and a desire to show dominance. From these primitive instincts arise base needs that drive those who slay Beasts. Like the Children themselves, Heroes feed primal hungers, but they do it in reaction to their mortal enemies rather than for any true purpose. Heroes rise for as many reasons as their diverse personal histories suggest, but patterns do emerge.
:wtc: seriously? I just feel dirty having copied that sentence. The game has never, ever, presented a Beast that was worthy of help. If you were to hear a story about someone who goes out of their way to help a Mass Murderer, or a Rapist, you'd say that they were mentally disturbed. Not worthy of praise.

We get three more paragraphs demonizing heroes, dividing them into three rough groups. Group one are the people who wish to lash out at the unfamiliar, but since they can't kill black people your co-worker you unleash your catharsis on 'monsters'. Others try to resist their heroic instincts and only kill to make the screaming in their head stop. The third do it for the attention and fame, they run for student council president but delegate all their duties, they 'save' people who don't need saving, they pretend they're doing it to help the victims but they're 'indiscriminate and thoughtless in their killings'.

quote:

For the Hero who feels inadequate or scorned in his everyday life, slaying Beasts fulfills a need for the validation of a self-image no one else sees. It gives him the chance to justify his existence. He needs to prove that he’s the cleverest or the most skilled, that he knows something others don’t, that he’s a good person despite the haters, that he’s been misunderstood all this time, or just that he’s in the right. He’s deluded himself into thinking he’s the underdog in a war he created, desperate to be the “good guy” in a fight against the Beasts’ “evil.” He can’t stand to accept the primacy of something that’s nothing like him — it would debunk a lifetime of assumptions and shatter his ego, and he can’t let that happen. He fights to grasp at legitimacy and set himself up as the “us” versus someone’s “them.” He kills because to hold back would be to admit that he was ever wrong.
I'm getting really loving tired of all the game ascribing these insane convoluted justifications for Heroes. "Can't accept the primacy of something greater"? That seems unnecessary, they fight because they're forced to acknowledge that beasts exist thanks to their dreams. Also: it suggests that Beasts have "primacy" in the world of darkness, which is stupid. Is this supposed to be written in character by a Beast cause the authorial voice here is hilariously loving skewed.

The Hero's Journey

quote:

Unfortunately for the Hero of our story, the Children don’t conveniently line up for the chopping block. A Hero often spends more of his time looking for Beasts and planning his approach than actually killing them, especially since it usually takes multiple tries against any one Beast before he succeeds. Not all Heroes go out of their way to find villains to vanquish, of course; some stumble from disturbance to disturbance, living an unrelated life in between calls to arms and letting the Primordial Dream do the hard work for them. For many, though, that’s not enough.
Okay so now the Hero that doesn't go out actively seeking Beasts is lazy? I don't think it's healthy to hate something that you, yourself, created this much. Given the current description of Beasts as given the only way a Beast can be "good" in BHM's mind is if they're actively feeding Beasts victims.

The Hunt
Some heroes delve into libraries searching for ancient lore on the Beastly modus operandi. Some find ways to delve into the Primordial Dream, attempting to find Beasts by their Lairs. Others use modern media, looking for reports of nightmares and rise in phobias in certain areas. Even if they're only finding Vampires and Fae, the Children are rarely far behind. At this stage in the hunt Heroes will often work together, as they haven't decided to outright backstab each other yet. Others will let another Hero do all the hard work and then literally backstab them to steal the kill. Still others will embrace the competition and make it a race.

quote:

The View From Outside: Beasts
From the Children’s perspective, one Hero is bad enough. Two or more teaming up presents a new level of horror. Imagine watching violent fanatics rile each other up to compete over who can commit murder first and congratulate each other over it afterward. Beasts are good at making friends in the supernatural world for protection, but nobody wants to live like a contestant on a sadistic game show where the whole audience drools in anticipation of spilling her blood.

Fortunately, the observant Beast comes to recognize that such a partnership is tenuous and can’t last. With careful manipulation, she can use the Heroes’ own tactics against them, playing up their unhealthy need for competition to turn them against their fellows and expose all the little ways in which they sabotage each other. Even Heroes who organize around competition and agree to friendly rivalry have trouble keeping their egos out of the way; a clever Beast can deliberately make waves to kick the race into high gear and fabricate foul play or dishonorable conduct on one side or the other to exacerbate the rising tensions between Heroes. It’s a risky gamble, but it often has more appeal than waiting for the mutually-inspired frenzy to come to her doorstep. The major advantage Beasts have over Heroes when it comes to teamwork is that the Beasts understand how it’s really supposed to work.
See the only reason Beasts are able to work together is because they know the secret truths that no one else knows. :rolleyes:
The Kill
Despite the fact that the stories say that they're 'destined' to kill Beasts, they're often woefully under-equipped. Which is surprisingly honest for whoever wrote this I guess. Sometimes the solution is more firepower, just throwing everything and everyone up to the police force and tanks at a Beast. Other heroes use guerilla tactics, tracking the Beast back to their lair and waiting until they're susceptible to anathema. Other Heroes realize that other supernatural creatures might not like Beasts and can sometimes sick Vampires or Werewolves on a Brood.

quote:

Beast-slayers call themselves Heroes, but that doesn’t by any means imply that they’re above blatant manipulation and trickery. Particularly patient or cruel Heroes go out of their way to learn what the Children value so they can take it away or threaten it. A Hero might take hostages, blackmail the Beast or someone to whom she’s close, persuade someone the Beast trusts to betray her, keep her under surveillance or hire a private eye to learn all her secrets, or even run a long con to earn the Beast’s trust himself before stabbing her in the back in a vulnerable moment. Some Heroes use potent poisons, drugs, or supernatural relics and sicknesses to weaken a Beast until she can’t mount an effective defense.
Or they can be straight up loving villains.

quote:

The View From Outside: Hunters
On the surface, Heroes and hunters make natural allies, but a Hero’s appreciation for her hunter comrades is rarely reciprocated for long. Conspiracies and compacts with less sympathetic approaches to the Vigil might back a Hero for a time to reap the ancillary benefits, and might not even care that her uncanny powers come from a dark source, but many are just as suspicious of the Hero’s ability to track down Beasts as they are of the Beasts themselves, and organizations like the Long Night certainly don’t attribute the Hero’s obvious connection with the Children to some God-given blessing. Even a group like Ashwood Abbey comes to recognize that a Hero is just a different kind of beast with an opposing mythology defining her existence, and she’s likely to land in the “monster” category before long.

Heroes profess to understand the Vigil, but what pushes them to hunt is far more selfish and deluded than the average hunter’s “humanity for humans” creed or the loss-fueled vengeance that drives him. Hunters who adhere to strict codes or struggle with the morality of their lifestyles often refuse to work with a Hero once they see to what lengths she will go for a kill. Her propensity for dragging innocent people into her fight as followers doesn’t endear her to them, either. Inevitably, her insistence on taking the kill for herself and talking about her rightful destiny are deal breakers to the team-oriented cell that’s just trying to keep the streets safe.

A Hero’s singlemindedness about Beasts in particular doesn’t make sense from the Vigil’s perspective, and even when the Hero agrees to help hunt other monsters in exchange for aid in her own pursuits, she rarely cares enough to uphold her end of the bargain. She doesn’t truly understand what drives the hunter to see a vampire, a possessed victim, and a Beast as equal threats, and ultimately any alliance she makes is just an excuse to use the hunters as a means to an end, until they become hindrances to her own self-aggrandizement. In the end, a hunter hunts for humanity’s sake, while a Hero hunts for her own.
Please ignore the spots later in this chapter where we show Heroes working to mutual benefit with Hunters.

So let's get some sample Heroes.

CANDY RASMUSSEN: VOICE OF THE VICTIM
The people want to hear your every single scream. I need you to scream for everyone you ever hurt. Do you think you could do that for me?

Candy was a media and politics student, she never stood out or made a fuss. She wasn't an exeplary student, but she was comitted to her degree as a keen scholar of modern online media as a vehicle for news. She didn't have much time to make friends but her charisma shone whenever she was in front of a camera. She was gifted in wordplay and evoking emotional responses, her lecturers told her repeatedly that if she could find the right script to follow she could change the world. Unfortunately she had no desire to use someone else's words, using a camera, the back wall of her dorm room, and her own impassioned opinions, she started making improvised op-ed pieces for the local student body, her viewership barely peaked the high single digits.

But she had one fan, she found flowers waiting for her after three days of broadcasting, and a new camera after two weeks. A note was attached asking her to go to the university's media library. Curoius, naive, and flattered by the attention, she encountered her fan at the appointed time and met a shy, nervous, damp sophomore named Jess. As candy thanked him he gushed about the validity of her points of view, offered to host her vlogs on his moderately popular debate society website, and only asked for minor input on the content of her Vlogs. "Rasmussen weighed the creepiness of the offer against the opportunity for increased publicity and accepted within minutes."

To their mutual surprise, they formed the perfect team. To the point that everyone on campus knew Candy's face and words. Candy kept on waiting for the other shoe to drop with Jess' romantic intentions but his interest in her, and her voice, was purely platonic. They became friends and confidants. Jess suggested a few bylines and worked on bringing in sponsors and increasing viewership, while Candy ascended the ranks of the student union, becoming a major voice for their rights.

Then the nightmares started, terrible dreams of suffocating under mucus, sewage, and filthy water would jolt her awake "Where she inevitably found her skin covered in grime and her bed despoiled." The horrors started severely affecting her studies and work, until during one night of terror she sleepwalked across campus to the media library, unknowingly drawn to the source of her nightmares.

quote:

Entering the room in which she first met her friend Jess, she beheld something terrible. Hunched over, hulking and dripping in viscous fluid - a slipperly approximation of Jess writhed in the midst of reels and filming equipment. Rasmussen broke from her daze to see the true form of her yearlong companion. Jess just looked over her shoulder and formed a jagged smile, beckoning Candy to join him, before moving to hook up a video camera. Turning his back on Candy proved to be a fatal error. Horrified and betrayed by the friend who infected her dreams, she grabbed Jess' lighter from his dropped rucksack and put it to a shelf of old celluloid, locking the door on the Beast trapped within. She stayed long enough to hear his screams as the highly-flammable nitrates ignited around the trapped Collector.

A Hero was born.

Jess' death was reported as a tragic accident, and Candy felt abandoned by her deceased companion, but with the nightmares banished she pursued her medea goals in earnest. Without Jess' support, however, her channel plateaued. She had the charisma to win subscriptions and monetary support but was unable to find suport beyond her campus. She tried to tackle hard subjects such as poverty, sexual health, religious freedoms, and political corruption, but the world failed to care about her or her opinions. Slaying Jess was a pyrrhic achievement at best. As her own sophomore year loomed she was prepare to quit the life of a media personality. But then the nightmares started again.

The dreams were different but not identical. She saw the giant face of a man with boulders for teeth that overwhelmed her with his bulk from the sky. She eventually recognized the face as that of a local bank manager who was controversially released from prison, and she had mentioned in her vlog the week before. With her remaining pull she arranged for him to come to the university as a guest for a fifteen minute segment. She wanted to be sure he was like Jess: a monster responsible for the torment of innocents.

The Anakim laughed at her questions about ethics, openly mocked her when she asked if he learned anything from his incarceration, and called her a naive wet liberal. After the interview Rasmussen, with tears in her eyes, addressed the camera in a heartfelt, apparently unrehearsed speech:

quote:

“The sad truth is we’ve made this world a gray, uncaring place where everyone does the bare minimum to get by. The people want to believe in ideals, but harsh reality tells them hope and faith are mistakes. To hell with the needs of innocent victims crushed beneath the wheels of grinding prosperity. The man who sat beside me is a crook — a beast. Nobody will address this because he has the most expensive lawyers in the country. But let me tell you now, live: the people need to hear the strong voice of someone bold enough to tell the greedy magnates, bent politicians, and violent criminals they’re wrong. Their victims won’t take this any longer. The beast beside me, and everyone like him, need to be shown we won’t take their poo poo any longer.”

She went viral within hours, her face became a meme and a watercooler discussion across the state. She was immediately named in a lawsuit from the banker, and she went on to publicize this in her show. Her viewership went up and the banker received regular harassment and threats of harm. When asked to comment on the danger posed to her former guest, Candy remarked, "Let him be threatened. The rest of us have to live that way our entire lives due to predators like him." She knew he was a Beast when he appeared on her show, but she also knew she couldn't do anything against him personally. But she was able to shift public opinion against him. Another hero happened to watch her broadcast, and while Candy wasn't responsible for the explosion that consumed the Beast's lair, she lit the fuse.

The man responsible for the Beast's death - a Hero calling himself the Web Weaver - began writing her fan mail encoded with the identities and locations of other Beasts he had tracked but was unable to personally engage. Recognizing a kindred spirit, Candy laced her vlogs with the information. One night she presented a special report on urban decay, unobtrusively highlighting the physical counterparts of several Lairs. Another time she performed an expose on gang culture, highlighting a group that was actually a Brood of Beasts. Every week there was a segment dedicated to someone or somewhere connected to Beasts.

Growing Louder
Candy's Vlog -Voice of the Victim- focused primarily on sufferers and perpetrators in the area around her university. But her popularity grew and she started getting wealthy supporters from across the country. Her website became popular for anyone with an axe to grind against any perceived wrongdoer, but it also provided support to authentic victims of abuse and hardship as Candy was swift to respond to any pleas for aid or sympathy. Heroes began using VotV as a network to pass information about targets, safe houses, and victories over Beasts.

Beasts also noticed VotV's actions as their addresses, places of work, and families were featured on a publically visible website. The popularity of the site also became a particular concern for Beasts who laired on college campuses. A youthful Brood attempted legal action against the Hero but found no traction, so the idiotically decided to kidnap her. And broadcast their plans on twitter. By the time they actually got to her dorm room there was a small army of students and teachers frantically and violently defending her. Candy uploaded video of their unsuccessful raid that evening along with her voiceover mocking the "Vengeful Beasts". She also declined to press charges since she knew full well that other Heroes would make sure they never hurt anyone ever again.

Following the attempt on her life she strengthened her fanbase into a cult of personality. Understanding that her best and only defense against Beasts was the loyalty of her followers, she made herself well known across multiple online and television channels as "That girl who stands up for innocents." With support from the faculty she appeared across multiple news networks in interviewes where she stated her lack of fear, and encouraged the downtrodden youth to attend seminars hosted by her on campus, as well as counseling chats online- both of which were broadcast live and uncut. The subsequent media covereage of her untrained, but astute, "massage of victims emotions"(which seems harsh) became a hit. Those in need of a caring ear for their problems or a shoulder to cry on found one in Candy and her website. All the while Beasts raged as this 'Paltry do-gooder' was surrounded by adoring supplicants and defenders. Heroes cheered as still more information filtered out of her Vlog and led to more Beasts falling. She's one now one of the best known Heroes in the world. Some Beasts even wonder if she's a mortal patsy being played by a group of Heroes. They're fooled by her guiltless appearance and and good works with the genuinely downtrodden. "Few Beasts want to cleave through innocent puppets in order to reach her. They just watch, frustrated, as she plants targets on the backs of those who can't assail her without their own identities and lives being exposed for the world - and heroes - to see."

Description
Candy never found out if Jess intended to infect her with his nightmares, or if they were a byproduct of their closeness. SHe never discovered whether Jess intended for her to stumble into her lair, or if she was destined to enter and slay the Beast. The overriding emotion she felt with the discovery was humiliation, and it's one she's never been able to shake. She struggles to reconcile his death as anything other than Murder, Jess was her best friend until she killed him. This feeling of guilt colors everything Candy does through her vlog and public works. She serves the cause of other Heroes because she genuinely believes their targets deserving of "painful deaths". She then directs the money she gets from Heroes towards increasing her public image and assisting genuinely innocent victims of persecution and hate. She sees the shy and reluctant Jess in many of the youths who come to her channel for assistance. She tries to assuage her guilt, if only briefly, by being a force of good in the world.

quote:

Candy’s reasoning is one of misguided altruism. She believes Beasts taint what they touch and harm what they love. She blindly ascribes most of the world’s ills to the activities of Beasts, ignoring the possibility of human corruption when a Beast could bear the blame. For all her attempts at charity and compassion, her methods and the results always come back to hurting Beasts for reasons largely in her head.
:rolleyes:

Of course not all of her followers are altruistic, some intentionally direct her at targets of no supernatural stripe in order to see them brought low. "Candy refuses to pry deeply into the stories submitted, unprepared to acknowledge that people may dupe her. She has to believe she’s doing good deeds, and that she’s not a monster acting as a broker for even worse monsters." She sees no one as a friend, but sees Heroes as allies. The only people she genuinely cares about are the innocents who use VotV as a place to voice their genuine ills. She invests much of the money contributed to her website to support groups for "victims" and increasing her own exposure, through accident or skill every investment has paid dividends so far.

quote:

She’s encountered several Beasts face to face in interviews and during exposés, holding her own as an indignant and outraged member of the public. She lambasts her targets without pause, before setting her entourage on them then, or later. She fears getting close enough to a Beast to realize they may have a decent side, so she doesn’t allow such creatures to get a word in edgewise. Candy attempts to target Beasts her viewership will judge unsympathetically. When she does profile an innocent-seeming brood, childlike Beast, or unobtrusive Lair, she has the skill to twist a tale and make a mostly harmless person into a ravenous public enemy.
Uhhh...

quote:

Candy has accompanied bands of Heroes on hunts for Beast families. She never actively participates in an assault, instead voyeuristically recording the Heroes’ sadistic attacks. She experiences a thrill from watching Beasts being put down, though nausea occasionally overwhelms her while watching the footage. Her goading dialogue, recorded over the visuals, excites and sickens her in equal measure. She stores these videos on a well-hidden external hard drive, and only loads them up when she’s not brought the life of a Beast to an end in recent months. She’s beginning to realize she has an addiction to slaying Beasts, even if the only part she plays is as information network to the real killers. She doesn’t know how to break this feeling, and doesn’t understand the Primordial Dream, but such discoveries aren’t pressing. Candy derives enough pleasure from her popularity, success, and how she helps innocents while throwing Beasts under the bus, that she’s content — at this time — to plow on.
What? Sure.

Rumors
For a Hero, she sure puts a lot of barriers between her and us. There’s so many people following and obeying her, I doubt she’ll ever hunt us personally.
She has no appetite for engaging beasts directly, and has only killed one herself. She knows the power conveyed by slaying a Beast and no small part of her desires more power, but she's pragmatic. She feels safer when she can "manipulate others". She will gladly sacrifice any number of followers to bring a Beast down, as she knows the cause is worthwhile. She harbors minimal desire to engage a beast one on one, frustrating many Beasts who would love to end her activities. She knows her limits and operates from behind a monitor as much as she is able.

Rassmussen hates vampires about as much as she hates us. She was a slave to one of them, but slipped free of her mistress' mental control and burnt the vampire to death. Seems she learned a thing or two while in her service, given how she can influence a crowd.
Nope. She's just good at public speaking. Some Carthians have been monitoring VotV as a means to pass on information in a similar fashion to how Heroes use it. But neither the Vampires or the Heroes are aware of the other faction. A Daeva has offered to embrace Candy but she's stringing him along until she can figure out if they're servants to Beasts or not.

If she wasn’t so eaten up with regret for killing her precious Jess, she might amount to something. Until then, she’s about as useful as her channel is at assisting victims, as she calls them.
Some Heroes hate Candy because she's a highly visible point of failure and knows way too much about Hero activity around the world. They'd be very happy if she ended up dead.

Here's a fun exercise, read through Candy's story and replace every instance of "Beast" with "Rapist". This entire thing is textbook victim blaming to a degree that makes me feel ill. She was groomed by a collector to make her famous, so her videos would be more sating. And he approached her in her sleep at least once because she was physically coated in his slime at least once. And she feels so ashamed of being defiled that she uses her channel as a force for good in the world as far as she understands it. Then the "Description" chapter doubles down on demonizing her as much as possible for reacting to the depredations of Beasts.

And that's before we even get to the story hooks.

quote:

One of the Beasts in the protagonists’ brood receives an invitation to participate in a Voice of the Victim interview. Logic dictates making an appearance on the show would be foolish, yet such an opportunity may lead to the brood getting close enough to Rasmussen to stop her activities. Perhaps she can be convinced that her agenda is one of blind aggression and talked into giving up her role as a Hero. Then again, if the brood prefers a more violent approach, stopping her in a more lethal fashion is an option. No doubt, she’ll be recording everything taking place around her, no matter what.
"If only this rape victim could be shown that being raped was good for her, and that rape is a force for good in the world?"

quote:

As is the way with all families, Beasts don’t necessarily get along. When Candy Rasmussen broadcasts a special on a group of “unsavory individuals who prey on the innocent,” the characters realize she’s talking about a rival brood in the same city. They’re forced to decide whether or not to warn them. If Heroes take out their longtime enemies, it frees up territory and removes a big thorn from their collective side. Then again, perhaps blood is thicker than petty rivalry.
Beasts are all good people who should never be maligned, except when not then they need to die.

quote:

As one of the Beasts enters a church, a therapist’s office, or another place of quiet refuge, they spy a heavily-disguised Candy Rasmussen exiting. Supposedly, Rasmussen goes nowhere alone, yet in this instance she’s unaccompanied by any of her hangers on. This is a golden opportunity to stalk the Hero, engage her while she’s undefended, or simply find out more about her. What darkness does she contain that drives her to a place of counseling and contemplation, and is it possible to reach her with words instead of resorting to claws and Horrors?
Yes let's have our protagonists literally invade safe spaces to stalk their victims. This will make them sympathetic

Her statline is nothing exciting except for a specialization in Melodrama and Rabble-Rousing. I"m surprised her life isn't "Meddling Teen" (It's actually Philanthropist).

DANIEL GREENE: THE SILVERSMITH
I know your weaknesses. I’ve cut off your escape routes. Can we get this over with? I’ve got a ton of orders to ship out, and the post office closes at five.

Danny's parents were Hunters, constantly on the road sniffing after rumors of monsters, Danny never really knew safety. His mother went into labor while hunting a vampire and he was born in a barn in rural Nebraska. He was barely hours old when his father smeared monster blood across his forehead to anoint him in the family tradition. He grew up in a series of temporary homes, left in the care of family friends and other semi-retired hunters. When most kids were learning their ABCs, Danny learned monster lore and how to make simple protection charms out of wire and string. When he had a Christmas it was celebrated with occult grimoires and handcrafted hunting gear.

Due to the transient nature of his parents lifestyle, his formal education was lacking. His mom taught him how to read, write, and basic math sprawled across a hotel room bed or the table at a diner, geography, history, and science were left entirely by the wayside except where it benefited an apprentice hunter.
At the age of 10 his parents left him in the care of his aunt Marissa to hunt a dangerous Vampire and never returned. Rather than turn him over to CPS she decided to raise him as her own. Though she had once been a Hunter in her own right, she vowed to give Danny something resembling a normal childhood, with his own bedroom, toys, books, and enrollment in school. Of course he was now a fourth grader with giant holes in his education that was new in town and had no friends. He was mercilessly bullied and his instinctual distrust of strangers made him a friendless outcast until the day he turned sixteen and dropped out entirely. Marissa attempted to convince him to go back but Danny had already given up. Her ultimatum of "Go back or get out of my house" resulted in him packing up and hitting the road.

Death Wish
With a happy title like that you can guess how this went. Since his only real education was 'how do I kill monsters' he fell into old patterns, and soon made a name for himself amongst other independant hunters as "the crazy kid with the death wish".

But then...

quote:

Danny was well on his way to a violent, bloody end, but that changed the day he met Ben.

It happened like a Hollywood romance: During a busy lunch rush at a diner, Danny found himself sharing his booth space with a stranger who seemed to be allergic to silence, a cute twentysomething who introduced himself as Ben. Whether it was sheer loneliness, attraction, or the novelty of a social situation with someone who wasn’t shouting at him or calling him names, Danny soon found himself lingering over coffee and pie, listening to Ben talk about everything from music to politics to current events. Even though Danny didn’t have much to offer, he was happy to listen, and Ben was happy to talk.
DID WE MENTION DANNY IS GAY?

quote:

Lunch turned into dinner, dinner turned into a movie, the movie turned into spending the night, and almost before he knew it, he was in a relationship. For a time, Ben gave Danny everything he desperately craved: attention, affection, and respect. In a frighteningly short period, Ben became the whole of Danny’s world, even though he sometimes felt a thrill of fear at the look in Ben’s eyes, like he wasn’t a partner, but a plaything to be devoured.

When the nightmares started, Danny didn’t think anything of it. He’d always had recurring dreams of loneliness and isolation, was used to being chased by bullies and monsters through his sleep, and a few night terrors were par for the course when one hunted monsters.
DID WE MENTION THAT DANNY'S GAY BOYFRIEND IS A BEAST!?

quote:

He didn’t notice until months had passed that the nightmares always coincided with Ben’s mood swings into anger and condescension, always following that fearsome expression on his face. Danny tried to convince himself he was imagining things, and was even successful for a little while, but eventually, he couldn’t ignore it anymore.
DID WE MENTION THAT DANNY'S GAY BEAST BOYFRIEND IS ALSO EMOTIONALLY ABUSIVE AND MANIPULATIVE!?!?!?

Seriously the first two Heroes the book full of "Irredeemable heroes to be conquered" presents to us are literal actual victims of Beasts. This is extremely hosed up and I feel unclean.

So Danny saw Ben for what he really was, and Danny vaulted the table with a carving knife. Under the cover of darkness he weighted Ben's body down and tossed it into a swamp, then packed up his belonging and holed up in a Hotel for a while. When he emerged he was no longer a "mere mortal hunter", he was a Hero.

Never Again
Danny soon found evidence of another Beast's predations but found the monster too powerful for him, luckily another Hero happened to be hunting that same Beast and saved him. The Hero, a woman named Cecily Souza, ripped him a new one for interfering in her hunt, but when she discovered that he had only recently awakened she took him under her wing. He didn't stay with her long but it was long enough to realize that things were more complicated than his parents thought, and to take a long hard look at his childlike recklessness.

He returned to his aunt Melissa's house to secure her support in his new purpose, counting on her decades of experience with her former vigil to help formulate his long-term strategies and plans of attack. Her council lead to two more kills and two more humiliating defeats before she died of breast cancer. But he inherited her network of contacts and allies.

After a serious injury from a fight with a Makara sidelined him for nearly a year, he found himself at wit's end since he was unable to follow his lifetime of training and instinct in hunting. Reaching out to his contacts he found another Hero willing to teach him metalworking. After a year of practice his skill was great enough that he began attracting customers. Satisfied customers brought repeat business and soon he was a trusted entity in the worlds of both hunters an Heroes. If someone needed an expert blade, Danny was their man. His online handle, silversmith78, is considered an authority on the occult, folklore, and talismanic magic, and his customer satisfaction rating is proportionately high.

Description
Danny's now in his mid-30s but he's got the life experience of a 70 year old and the scars to match. He doesn't rush into anything be it a one-night stand or the Lair of a Beast he's been stalking for months, he's suspicious by nature and prefers to view situations from all angles before making a decision. While Danny often disseminates the information he gathers to hunters and the occasional fellow Hero, he's still a formidable foe in his own right. Unless given a compelling reason to act quickly, however, he'll take his time to stalk the target and understand his chances of success. He's got little patience for theatrics or monologues, he strikes fast and hard. His preferred weapon is a sword but if explosives are what works it's what he'll use.

He's not unsympathetic to the victims of Beasts, but he's prone to using them as bait to draw out his current target. He respects mortal Hunters who take up the vigil, and assists them as he can, but rarely goes out of his way to help someone he doesn't know very well. His neighbors view him as a kooky hermit or a dangerous loner. Despite his outsider nature he has little trouble blending into the populations of any town or city, as "Strong guy with disheveled hair in jeans and a t-shirt" fits in pretty much everywhere.

Rumors
Danny Greene? Man, what a freak. I knew him in school, and he was just as weird then as he is now. He had that budding serial killer look, y’know? Now he’s got all these strange people coming and going at all hours of the day and night. I swear he’s started a Satanic cult or something up there. Which makes sense, I guess. If I’d pegged anyone for a cult leader, it’d be him.
Danny lives in a small town because it's easier to spot people who shouldn't be there. Any other rumors are just small town folk starting rumors because their life is interminably boring.

The Silversmith knows how to keep us out of dreams. Look, let me show you. He has this Etsy store where he sells this poo poo. See that? ‘This handcrafted, personalized dreamcatcher is designed according to ancient dreamlore to offer security and protection against the horrors that stalk your sleep.’ There’s nothing else it could mean, worded like that.
His trinkets don't do jack poo poo against Beasts, but the descriptions are worded in such a way to appeal to victims of the Begotten, every purchase is investigated using their shipping address and name as a starting point and he's turned up more than a few genuine Beasts this way.

I swear, I got the email yesterday. Greene’s flipped his poo poo. He’s working with the goddamn monsters now. Beckett out in Amarillo said he was down there last week and Greene sat in a café, talking to one of those Giants. Greene gets up, leaves town. Three hours later, the safe house is hit. Local cell of hunters completely wiped out, man. And it’s on Greene’s hands.
Danny will occasionally allow a Beast to pass unmolested but he'd never betray Heroes or Hunters to them. Any rumors to the contrary have been spun by rival Heroes or Beasts.

There are three kinds of Heroes, kid. You got your fanatics, that track you to the ends of the earth and face you in your hoary den and other melodramatic bullshit. Then you got the idealists, the ones who go on grand quests and slay the dragon and rescue the princess. Then there are the pragmatists. Silversmith? He’s one of the latter. And, he gives zero fucks if you’re a Begotten, human, or other kind of boogeyman. If you’re a monster, he ends you. But sometimes it works out. I’ve used him as a cleaning service from time to time, making sure a pack of wolves or fangs end up somewhere he can find ‘em. Enemy of my enemy, and all that.
Danny sees few distinctions between Beasts and the other Horrors of the night, he'll prioritize a Beast if prioritizing is necessary but anyone who preys on the weak is fair game to him. He was raised as a Hunter after all. And some Beasts will take advantage of this and manipulate their enemies into his path while laying low in their Lairs. Because Beasts are the good guys.

Story Hook time.

quote:

The Silversmith is sighted in an area the brood frequents, but it’s difficult to discern if he’s there for a member of the brood, or another Begotten who resides nearby. A canny Begotten may be able to capitalize on his presence to rid herself of a rival, or perhaps call upon other Begotten in the area to attack the Silversmith in force, removing him as a threat permanently.
Seriously? This is the fourth time that Beasts are prompted to off each-other using Heroes as an intermediary. The gently caress happened to Family?

quote:

A cell of hunters friendly with the Silversmith is wounded after losing a fight with a pack of werewolves, and is spotted fleeing to his house in order to recuperate and rearm. An opportunity for alliance rises when the werewolves give chase to the cell; the Silversmith’s home is well-defended, but those defenses may crumble under a joint attack by both Begotten and shapeshifters.
Finally a reasonable plot hook, good job.

quote:

Hunter activity has taken an uptick. Normally, Beasts don’t pay too much mind to mortal idiots who try to take them head-on, but times are not normal. Recently, two prominent members of the Begotten community have turned up dead, sliced to pieces by sharp blades. Also recently, a survivor of an attack reported that the hunters are carrying weapons that allow some of the innate abilities of Heroes to transfer to the hunters carrying them. While the single longsword recovered from a scene has no maker’s mark, the hunters call themselves the Silver Smiths, which is evidence enough for some to consider retaliating against the Silversmith before he can arm more hunters with his Hero-making weapons.
Also a good plot hook, and it gives Beasts something to be scared of.

His stat block, however, is unremarkable, he's probably a threat to another Beast one on one, but he's only got two Gifts despite the fact that his backstory explicitly calls out him killing at least three Beasts. And he'd hardly be the unholy terror of Beast's Nightmares that he is if he's only offed loving two of them.

That said the character is fine. He's not evil, he's human. He's had a deeply flawed upbringing and is living a functional life within the framework that was given to him. He's not in it for his ego, he's in it because he deeply believes he is helping people. Other than the fact that he was BETRAYED BY HIS GAY LOVER BEAST he's a perfectly functional and well rounded antagonist...

That the book somehow forgot to demonize the same way it did Candy. Regardless, I think I need a shower.

Up Next: A character who is only a Hero in the loosest definition of the word but sure why not.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 22, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Everything with Candy is just so loving skeevy

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neither of those characters sound like antagonists. They just sound like Hunter PCs.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Both of these heroes are straight up heroic and doing actual actionable good in the world.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well like 99% of Beast material is just "Beasts do (horrible thing). This is good. Heroes do (reasonable thing). This is evil."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Again: It isn't like Hunters aren't dark and sad people, themselves. Dark and sad people doing things to make the world less dark and sad is sort of the platonic ideal of Hunter.

I mean God that's even the archetype of the Hunters in Warhams. When we get to them, one of the high tier career options for them is people who have gotten so good at hunting that they don't really 'work' in normal society anymore and have just become half-mad, broken, incredible vampire-killing savants, to the point the vampires are actually loving scared of them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
From what I've gotten so far out of Conquering Heroes the entire book is written from the point of view of a group of people who have given up their souls to become awesome rape monsters who are great and amazing at everything. Meanwhile, Heroes have a supernatural sense of right and wrong thrust upon them against their will and they continue to struggle with their normal mortal lives, and normal mortal aspirations like being famous, having friends, and making the world a better place.

The central conflict isn't "what gives you the right to kill me." it's "How dare you have the temerity to be human." For all the book tries to state that Heroes aren't human anymore and aren't mortals. They're at least more human than any Beast the book has ever portrayed.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 22, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, suddenly having the INABILITY TO LOOK AWAY FROM EVIL thrust upon you is a horrifying and great hook for a protagonist in a gothic horror setting.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I have finally figured out how to save beast. Just make it a Hunter supplement with the Heroes as a Hunter conspiracy and use endowments to represent their abilities. At this point there is literally nothing to salvage from the line aside from some actually really cool Hunter sample characters and an antagonist so beyond redemption that you simply can't help but hate them and their increasingly desperate moral grandstanding.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Most of Beast "just" feels woefully misguided. Yet there are certain parts that are just loving gross; it's baffling that anyone thought they were a good idea or that they are in any way defensible or gameable. That comatose dream warrior from the core book was my go-to example.

Candy is like a million times worse. What the everliving gently caress.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's amazing not one person working on the book sees anything wrong with Candy's write up.