Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isaac has very little randomness within the room generation, almost everything you play has been specifically designed and tested.

Like the room with the flies hovering over rocks so you can't even hit them? Was that specifically designed and tested?

notoriousman posted:

In most roguelikes you gain either stats or perks as part of a linear progression to stay competitive with the challenges thrown at you; in BoI there is no such progression. Items can range from actively worthless for your character to massively game-breaking and everything in between, and yet you are not even guaranteed access to items in every circumstance. When DCSS throws naga bardings at your octopode you at least have skills and other resources to fall back on.

loving this. I think the only other rougelike I played where I felt I didn't scale up properly with the difficulty was SotS: The Pit. To be fair though, I haven't spent a lot of time with that game, so maybe I haven't yet unlocked the secrets to getting enough ammo and food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

I honestly don't understand the appeal of wanting boss fights to take so much time, like you have to get from the start to killing Mom's Heart in under 30 mins just to be able to fight Hush. So in some sense the game is designed around going fast, getting through levels quickly. Then you get to Hush and he takes about 15 minutes to kill.

Hush is the last timegated thing in the game, and unless you're going for ZIP! you shouldn't worry about time at that point. I don't mind a million HP outside of Basement, but the damage reduction sucks. After plinking at Hush for 2-3 minutes and then walking in to the Void with a wicked build and just plowing Delirium, is very satisfying, but also highlights how bad the Hush/Greed/Big Horn armor is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Like the room with the flies hovering over rocks so you can't even hit them? Was that specifically designed and tested?
Yeah? Unless you're suggesting that room was procedurally generated in some way?

I think the only significant sources of randomness within rooms are Champions and the new Portals. IMO the game should have more, otherwise it gets somewhat stale once you learn all the room layouts.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah? Unless you're suggesting that room was procedurally generated in some way?

No I'm saying :lol: at the idea of someone designing rooms like that, testing it, and going "This is perfectly fine and works really well."

But that's the reality so excuse me while I sit here and wait another 3 minutes for this fly to come close enough to hit again.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jamesman posted:

No I'm saying :lol: at the idea of someone designing rooms like that, testing it, and going "This is perfectly fine and works really well."

But that's the reality so excuse me while I sit here and wait another 3 minutes for this fly to come close enough to hit again.
Oh, they tested. Allegedly. But if they actually did, whoever tested either played with dev tools or is loving poo poo. And that's been true ever since initial Isaac.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the rooms are designed by hand but there's no way they're properly tested. The inclusion of champions (and now monster spawners) make matters even worse; you can end up in situations where the normal room works okay as it was designed but it becomes really bad with certain combinations of (or even a single) champion(s) or spawned monsters. And by bad I mean unavoidable damage, tediousness or in the worst case being unbeatable.

Also some rooms are just badly designed. The ones that are shaped like

code:
______O______
[    |_____  ]
[         |_ O
[ ___________]
or

code:
are almost always damage checks/RNG.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh cool, it's still a thing where you can be screwed out of devil/angel deals because the boss room layout won't allow for one to spawn.

You know, speaking of designed and tested every room.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 21, 2017

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The worst is a room in caves that is missing half the floor with two mushrooms and 3 red spiders. I loving hate that room and it's impossible to not get damaged

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
I unlocked 5 Nights at Moms achievement by accident when I was playing Greedier mode (4 wins straight) and a subsequent Delirium run. That's got to be some of the best luck ever.

It seems like my luck held out the next game. I started Lost with a goal to beat beat Delirium. I got 9 Lives in the first devil room, Epic Fetus in the Caves I (extra synergies with turb+hot bombs). I got a Slot Machine in the Hush fight combined with broken remote, means I can never lose any lives. I have infinite money because I also have Keeper's Head and Incubus. That was 2 days ago. I've restarted my fight with Delirium over a fifty times, lost 2 lives, and have 4 lives left. The only orbital I have is Mom's Razor, and I'm not sure if it blocks projectiles. I still haven't gotten a single pretty fly from my Slot Machine. I feel like I should just give up, but this is the best chance to knock off this achievement. I'm stuck in my own hell.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Rock Bottom is fun times. Unlike libra, it only applies to things you get AFTER picking it up.

Unsurprisingly, it's great with polyphemus or soy milk or ipecac. If you grab it first.

Rock Bottom might also disable money = power, or at least cap it at the 99 coin bonus.

And the red key crashed my game and now it won't start back up again. :negative:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

flyboi posted:

The worst is a room in caves that is missing half the floor with two mushrooms and 3 red spiders. I loving hate that room and it's impossible to not get damaged

I believe that room was adjusted a patch or two ago, actually. Not sure how, though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I loving finally beat Ultra Hard gently caress yes.

Epic Fetus + Satanic Bible + Charged Baby + 1UP

I died during the first fight so that 1UP came in handy. I also had enough damage ups that I was one-shotting him and all of his summons (minus the angels - they were three shots). Thank loving god I never have to attempt that ever again.

flyboi posted:

That room was one of the "instant game overs" for me in Ultra Hard. The spiders moved too fast and took too many hits to kill, while taking a full heart off me each time they ran into me.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Pigbuster posted:

I believe that room was adjusted a patch or two ago, actually. Not sure how, though.

Nope, unless their stupid debug build disabled it. Definitely ran into it last patch

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, I didn't get the Delirium death cutscene on that fight. It's not like I one-shot him either, it took like a minute.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Could someone please tell me which piece of bullshit kept warping me out of the Satan fight nearly every hit? I must've warped out seven times before dying, it ruined a sure thing.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Is that Cursed Eye I see? If so, that's what does it. If you get hit while charging Cursed Eye you get teleported out of the room you're in. Getting hit with a full charge or no charge is fine, though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

snoremac posted:

Could someone please tell me which piece of bullshit kept warping me out of the Satan fight nearly every hit? I must've warped out seven times before dying, it ruined a sure thing.

Cursed Eye, it's the pearl thing, charge for a multi-shot but if you get hit while charging you get teleported out of the room you were in.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Thanks.

That is so dumb.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its one of the items you should avoid

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The real cruelty of the Ultra Hard challenge is getting items that you know a better player could parlay into a good run, but then you lose quickly anyway.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I made it all the way to the Dark Chest without picking up any bombs, coins, or hearts, but I lost all my health in Sheol and ultimately died on my way to the Lamb. :(

Azazel's mobility and starting brim are helpful and all, but his range is a death sentence in the later floors.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Welllllllll I have gnawed leaf and peeper on an ultra hard run. I ... I guess I have to?

Edit: An hour later, I died to one of those rooms full of the guys that don't die, they just turn into puddles on the floor that eventually respawn. After losing most of my health fighting a room with the ragman that only regenerates health and the ghost guy that spawns dudes and is invulnerable unless he's in the process of spawning dudes.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 21, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
any tips to get bandage girl

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Jamesman posted:

loving this. I think the only other rougelike I played where I felt I didn't scale up properly with the difficulty was SotS: The Pit. To be fair though, I haven't spent a lot of time with that game, so maybe I haven't yet unlocked the secrets to getting enough ammo and food.

No, you're completely right, the apparently intended gameplay experience of The Pit is a slow-motion snuff film where even the most successful characters slowly, inevitably run out of one of the resources (or just hit the brick wall that is the final boss) and die. The only way to play that's actually fun is on the easiest settings and either flagrantly abusing the game mechanics (the xp/item storage lockers) or outright cheating. It's actually a lot like Enter the Gungeon in that it's actually a blast to play if you're willing to cheat around the bad bits.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I still have to unlock The Lost and I finally found the photograph and tried to kill myself in the sacrifice room by stepping on the spikes repeatedly. Unfortunately I didn't know one of the hits sends you straight to the Dark Room which ruined it, gently caress.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

any tips to get bandage girl

Lilith start, keep running Basement I until you get a ball of bandage and then keep playing and hope you can get 3 batteries or more balls of bandages to multiply. Sackhead pretty much guarentees the 3 batteries, so that's a good item too.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

It's pretty much guaranteed in Greed Mode if you start as Lilith and get a bandage ball.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

redneck nazgul posted:

It's pretty much guaranteed in Greed Mode if you start as Lilith and get a bandage ball.

you can't get bandage ball in greed mode unfortunately

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Lilith start, keep running Basement I until you get a ball of bandage and then keep playing and hope you can get 3 batteries or more balls of bandages to multiply. Sackhead pretty much guarentees the 3 batteries, so that's a good item too.

thanks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think an infinite charge combo + reroll until you get Monster Manual works too.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
If you can get Lilith a ball of bandages and make it to Boss Rush, it's guaranteed.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
What does the "Adult!" message mean? It happened when I took my third puberty pill in a run and it gave me a happy pill noise instead of a sad pill noise.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Geight posted:

What does the "Adult!" message mean? It happened when I took my third puberty pill in a run and it gave me a happy pill noise instead of a sad pill noise.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/transformations

Isaac grows hair all over his face, gains +1 HP and there is now a small chance for mom's foot to come down and stomp on enemies

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
AB+ fits right in with the rest of Isaac's humor seeing as it's simultaneously premature and an abortion.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Orange Harrison posted:

AB+ fits right in with the rest of Isaac's humor seeing as it's simultaneously premature and an abortion.

took you all month to come up with that, huh

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Took me all month to get around to trying it before passing anymore judgement. I want to get antibirth, but apparently that fucks with saves?
e: I'm also just bitter today because the first thing that happened when I opened vanilla Isaac after getting back from work was get killed within the first second of the first room on my last Eden token. Spawned with one red heart, got room full of gushers, the one nearest me was a champion.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 21, 2017

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
How does one run out of eden tokens

How does that even happen

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Only doing Eden runs and getting bad starts/skipping moms heart. I think playing an Eden seed still takes a token, but doesn't give you one back.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Missing a few items to get true platinum god on ps4, sacred heart, godhead, transcendance, breath of life, super bandage and boomerang (lol).

Is greed mode the best place to get those items? With Isaac I'm guessing

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

After getting 1001% you're just treading water if you play anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is the Brown Nugget/Apollyon beating Greedier mode achievement bugged? I have the red mark, have picked up Brown Nugget on a couple of runs, but it's showing as incomplete for me in steam. I'm just missing Mega Satan on Apollyon so I'll find out if the all red marks thing pops when I take him down, but that's confusing to me.

octobernight posted:

I unlocked 5 Nights at Moms achievement by accident when I was playing Greedier mode (4 wins straight) and a subsequent Delirium run. That's got to be some of the best luck ever.

I got it off of my first Delirium kill (Apollyon) + my Greedier mode runs with Samson, Eve, and Cain and then a babytime frolics Isaac run (taking the Negative and going to the Cathedral) when I realized I was one run away from that. I'm shocked that's the rarest achievement I have so far.