Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

butt dickus posted:

Nope. I have an LG soundbar that I can cast to from my phone but not from Home. It gave a specific error message, I'll try to find it when I get home.

The latest firmware supports it, it's pushed to manufactures who have to deploy it, some have (Sony), some will, some may never. Welcome to Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

LastInLine posted:

Does the device name properly display in the Home app? Admittedly I don't have any third-party casting devices but there shouldn't be an issue if they show up in the casting menu it's just a matter of saying the name whenever you cast: "Play [content] on [name]".

That said I have strange issues with casting all the time that shouldn't happen but do so :shrug:

It depends on what it is. My Roku devices support casting to some extent, and Home doesn't see them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just remembered that first gen Chromecasts didn't support it, it had to be updated which yeah, third party stuff never will. My bad.

e: And of course I'm 45 minutes late remembering:

Three Olives posted:

The latest firmware supports it, it's pushed to manufactures who have to deploy it, some have (Sony), some will, some may never. Welcome to Google.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Three Olives posted:

I think it's actually more of an LG problem this one, or at the very least, as much as it's google. The last few updates to the LG Musicflow system have been to notify of the future removal of features and then the actual removal.
They dont seem interested in adding any of the updated cast features, despite them being front and centre for the original google audio casting announcements.

There's some annoyed customers over at https://getsatisfaction.com/lgmusicflow/topics/has-lg-abandoned-musicflow but the small number, and lack of wider publicity probably just goes to show the low numbers LG sold them and their reason for not being interested anymore.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally got my Google Home - took two weeks to get from NY to Vancouver. Being able to control all the lights in my home with my voice is fuckin mind blowing as a kid who grew up watching Star Trek. That took seconds to set up and I'm only cracking the surface.

Also very glad to hear it replies to "hey boo boo."

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Looks like LG will update their Music Flow speakers.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Think this may get better traction here than in hardware sub.

Internets has died at my place so we're at my parents as my wife needs the net to stream some screener and do her actual job.

Wanting to stream something off vimeo which I'd normally run on my phone and mirror it to the TV which doest seem to be working.

If I get a chromecast, it's just as easy as running the vimeo link in a chrome tab in Mac os and casting that to the chromecast yeah?

Not had any experience with them as of yet.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Puddin posted:

Think this may get better traction here than in hardware sub.

Internets has died at my place so we're at my parents as my wife needs the net to stream some screener and do her actual job.

Wanting to stream something off vimeo which I'd normally run on my phone and mirror it to the TV which doest seem to be working.

If I get a chromecast, it's just as easy as running the vimeo link in a chrome tab in Mac os and casting that to the chromecast yeah?

Not had any experience with them as of yet.

The Chromecast might need internet even for tab casting. Do you have a computer that outputs HDMI? You could tether the phone to the computer for internet.

Alternatively you could see if your phone supports mhl or something.

Second alternative: see if your phone supports Miracast and buy a Miracast receiver.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

RZA Encryption posted:

The Chromecast might need internet even for tab casting. Do you have a computer that outputs HDMI? You could tether the phone to the computer for internet.

Alternatively you could see if your phone supports mhl or something.

Second alternative: see if your phone supports Miracast and buy a Miracast receiver.

I'm a dolt and have overthought this massively.

I'll just plug my parents pc into the TV.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Puddin posted:

I'm a dolt and have overthought this massively.

I'll just plug my parents pc into the TV.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why is YouTube loud on my TV, yet Plex and Kodi are quiet. Like 12/100 volume is loud with YouTube, yet I had to watch Jack Reacher at 90/100 today via Plex. It's it's basically all programming served through Plex or Kodi.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Pretty much.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

jonathan posted:

Why is YouTube loud on my TV, yet Plex and Kodi are quiet. Like 12/100 volume is loud with YouTube, yet I had to watch Jack Reacher at 90/100 today via Plex. It's it's basically all programming served through Plex or Kodi.

Your YouTube videos are probably 2.0 while your Linux ISOs you're watching through Plex are likely 5.1 AC3 or DTS. Your TV's doing a lovely job of downsizing the 5.1 for its internal speakers. Maybe see if the TV has a volume normalization option? That kind of thing is cancer for a stereo system but for internal speakers it can be a lifesaver.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheScott2K posted:

Your YouTube videos are probably 2.0 while your Linux ISOs you're watching through Plex are likely 5.1 AC3 or DTS. Your TV's doing a lovely job of downsizing the 5.1 for its internal speakers. Maybe see if the TV has a volume normalization option? That kind of thing is cancer for a stereo system but for internal speakers it can be a lifesaver.

Doh, I forgot kodi has some functions regarding that too, boost on downsample or whatever. I wonder if plex does. I'll fiddle with dynamic range compression on the tv and signal boosts in kodi.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

PC World in the UK are currently bundling free chromecasts with all their chromebooks, which is a pretty good indication we're probably getting new chromecasts at Google I/O later this month...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's not really much that can be done beyond the Chromecast Ultra.

Hell, they haven't even enabled the full feature seat of the Ultra yet

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

bull3964 posted:

There's not really much that can be done beyond the Chromecast Ultra.

Hell, they haven't even enabled the full feature seat of the Ultra yet

5.1 sound? Or it's part of the full feature set you're talking about?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It already does 5.1 sound. It's done 5.1 for years upon years. Dolby Vision isn't fully enabled yet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Yeah that works

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Interesting. I'm doing something wrong then.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I had accidentally set Netflix to low bandwidth and it drove me crazy for a while trying to figure out why 5.1 wasn't an option.

In videostream I think passthrough audio is disabled by default.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I need to look into it. I followed the basic advice and plugged my 2nd gen Chromecast directly into TV, but my casts still come through as stereo, while the native TV apps (Netflix, HBO) deliver 5.1 sound.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's the fault of your TV. Many present themselves to HDMI devices as two channel audio outputs, so that's what gets output. You really need to plug the Chromecast directly into the receiver.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I actually pulled it out of the receiver, where it, too, was delivering stereo sound only. I really need to look into this.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ringu0 posted:

Interesting. I'm doing something wrong then.

If it's like the Nexus Player, it requires your receiver or whatever to support Dolby Digital+. Regular Dolby Digital won't work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That is true.

To be fair, it's not a limitation of the device but the streaming service. They've pretty much all moved to DD+ across the board to save bandwidth. The way the apps are coded, they handshake the capabilities of the device and if DD+ isn't there they fall back to stereo.

The device would have to be able to decode DD+ and then output the DD core stream that was extracted and most of the HDMI only devices don't do that right now.

Your choice is basically Roku Ultra or FireTV if your receiver doesn't support DD+.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

New Android TV UI.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I'm wondering if the Nexus Player will be able to handle that. It may be time for me to shelve those things. Using the HDHomerun app has always been a pain in the rear end with them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

That seems cool and good.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So my Nexus Player refused to sync to the remote, or rather it would but then immediately forget. My gf and I would then use the remote control app on our phones, but now that won't connect either. 

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Is there a good single speaker to plug a Chromecast audio into? I'm aware of single speakers with Chromecast built-in; I already have a Chromecast audio and want to put it to use. I just want like a single powered speaker with a 3.5mm input and a USB port for power. Maybe I'm asking for something too specific, though.

Edit: I think I found something. The key was to search for phone docks that play music instead of speakers with a USB port.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 5, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Beoplay S3 is really drat good, if you can get it on sale.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Is there a good single speaker to plug a Chromecast audio into? I'm aware of single speakers with Chromecast built-in; I already have a Chromecast audio and want to put it to use. I just want like a single powered speaker with a 3.5mm input and a USB port for power. Maybe I'm asking for something too specific, though.

Edit: I think I found something. The key was to search for phone docks that play music instead of speakers with a USB port.

I always thought this one looked neat.

I think the problem is that the Google Home sounds really good and it's also a Chromecast so...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I think the problem is that the Google Home sounds really good

This doesn't seem to be the opinion of most reviews I read.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

This doesn't seem to be the opinion of most reviews I read.

Well I'm impressed with how good it sounds. it's got surprisingly good bass for a single speaker but doesn't get muddy at all (not that words on the internet does anything for speakers). I've demoed it for three people and two bought it just because of its quality as a castable speaker.

I'm honestly surprised anyone could find it lacking given its price.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Well I'm impressed with how good it sounds. it's got surprisingly good bass for a single speaker but doesn't get muddy at all (not that words on the internet does anything for speakers). I've demoed it for three people and two bought it just because of its quality as a castable speaker.

I'm honestly surprised anyone could find it lacking given its price.

No, I don't think anyone says it sounds bad for the price.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I always thought this one looked neat.

I think the problem is that the Google Home sounds really good and it's also a Chromecast so...

Wooooow that looks perfect.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have three Homes and we use them as linked speakers basically every day, they sounds perfectly good for general background music and have surprisingly good bass. Of course they aren't world beating as speakers, my ~200 Yamaha soundbar+sub sounds better for example, but they also don't take up any space and do home automation as well. So all in all we consider them a great success. We even bought the overpriced fabric bases so they match the decor in each room :D .

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I have a Nexus Player and never got the August security update. Is it just going to be with Android Oreo? I haven't gotten that yet either, but I know those are often staged rollouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

They might have just stopped supporting the Nexus Player. I have one too :smith:

• Locked thread