Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Woohoohoo, working on a Space Austria pack.

Space Austria presumably took over all of earth before conquering space, so there will be African and Asian portraits in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, wait wait wait. If 3k is considered tiny, early-game tier stuff, and that's what I have to work with....how far through this game am I? I've got five colonies and a sector, I've scouted roughly half of my galaxy...

A domination victory on a standard map requires around 105 planets.

If you want to dunk on an unawakened fallen empire you'll need around 30k in fleets. If you decide to stick around for an endgame crisis you'll need around 100k in fleets. If you decide to fight an awakened fallen empire you'll need more like 200k (depending on approach).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Is there a trick to the "Slave to the Systems" achievement?

It looks straightforward from the code:
code:
achievement_slave_to_the_system = {
	id = 39

possible = {
		is_ironman = yes
	}

happened = {
		OR = {
			has_ethic = ethic_collectivist
			has_ethic = ethic_fanatic_collectivist
		}
		num_pops > 499
		count_owned_pops = {
			limit = { is_enslaved = yes }
			count > 199
		}
	}
}
My empire is 616 pops (looking at the contact page, just below the picture) and there are a total of 300 pops in the two slave factions (165 malcontent, 135 docile). Shouldn't that trigger the achievement?

EDIT: nevermind, it unlocked eventually. Now to replace all slaves with robots.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 21, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ulmont posted:

EDIT: nevermind, it unlocked eventually. Now to replace all slaves with robots.
Gods, I did that achievement with robots and it took sooo long. I don't know why are synth pops so slow to build, but at 73% synth empire, I just thought 'gently caress it' and purged a planet full of organics.

Edit: but maybe I should play game at faster game speeds than normal

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 21, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, wait wait wait. If 3k is considered tiny, early-game tier stuff, and that's what I have to work with....how far through this game am I? I've got five colonies and a sector, I've scouted roughly half of my galaxy...

For reference I've been playing Civ V/Endless Legend on standard lengths. Have I even left the early game? :psyduck:

You're at the later stage of the early game. I'd say 40k fleet power (total) is probably the demarcating line for the mid-game, since that's where the Fallen Empires can start doing stuff. Seems really far away, but once you're pushing 5 developed colones you can start expanding really fast.

Ofaloaf posted:

Woohoohoo, working on a Space Austria pack.

Space Austria presumably took over all of earth before conquering space, so there will be African and Asian portraits in there too.

If that's an Austrian pack why do the men all have the Wilhelm II moustache?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also this thread title is a sad fart, and now people are gathering around to scream about how they loving trolled us with the sad fart, so I'm glad we hit that in four pages.

:sad:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So uh, Awakened empires come slower on bigger maps? Because right now that is the main thing I'm waiting for.

On another news I'm starting to understand what everyone's gripes are with the war system. Even with ticking warscore mod it's pretty slow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The truly egregious thing is the complete inability to truce break. When you get to the end and you're just trying to finish people off for your own personal reasons, you wind up sitting around for a lot of truces, meanwhile your opponent has no hope of recovering in that time anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
War wouldn't be so tedious if the ground game didn't constantly suck. Are there any mods to skip it entirely? Maybe make planets into ships, or make starports more dangerous and count as the planetary defense?

I would love a mod that let you give planets and starports missiles and fighters and made them part of a fleet combat. Or maybe make orbital defenses all individual stations that could be destroyed and have the planet be automatically occupied so long as the HP was at zero and there was a ship in orbit. Toss in a few random occupation events and it would be far better in my opinion.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

War wouldn't be so tedious if the ground game didn't constantly suck. Are there any mods to skip it entirely?

Can't you just blockade your way to victory without ever occupying?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Still reusing some assets atm- the project started off with the goal of updating and refining this mod. As it is, the base mod still references vanilla human hair, so there's Imperial German dudes with monocles but also man-buns. I've been going in and replacing all the vanilla hair with special old-timey hair for the German portraits.

The base mod also categorizes the Germans as a part of the 'Mammalian' species class, which, due to a current bug, means that only Imperial Germans show up as a selectable species in the mammlian class when trying to make a new civ. The workaround for that is to make a new species class and plop the Germans into that, so that they don't accidentally overwrite any other species in a vanilla species class.

Of course, the problem with that is that all alien species and realm names are drawn from a big list in the game files, with only certain names drawn for certain species classes and no generic alien names available in a class-less pool. That means that if you make a new species class and a species from that class shows up in-game, if it's not a custom-made empire created by a player it'll end up with no demonym and a weird name like " Star Republic" or "Imperial _ Realms" because there's no name the game can draw on for that class. So, then, I had to make a new list of species names.

The problem then is that species names also demand a reference to a namelist, and instead of just taking an Imperial German namelist available on the workshop already I ended up making a new one for the German species list. Then I got carried away and make a second, HRE-focused namelist. Then I said to myself "is all this work for just one species worth it? No, to justify all this, I need more portraits" so then I made an HRE portrait set.

Then I realized I probably shouldn't release a German pack that's largely based upon another guy's work, so I went "poo poo, I should make another German-ish set and then release the HRE and that new set together, along with the namelists and species names", so I started on the Austria-Hungary thing.

Now I'm contemplating a new Imperial German portrait set altogether.

tldr: It's that one scene from Malcolm in the Middle of the dad replacing a light bulb, except it's modding.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing this with two friends, and the game just kinda stopped working.

One of them has the date 3 days back and his name is in red. We played for 22 ingame years and it worked fine, but now his game apparently can't move past whenever he joins any more. Any ideas?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

ulmont posted:

Blockading can be pretty tedious and time spent at war, if you're not a war-focused nation, can negatively affect your pacifist and xenophile pops right now. As well, since the game is currently geared towards deathblobs, you can't really spread yourself too thin or risk the AI being able to break the blockade if their empire is large enough.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

PittTheElder posted:

Austrians and Germans are the same thing :colbert:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

I'm playing this with two friends, and the game just kinda stopped working.

One of them has the date 3 days back and his name is in red. We played for 22 ingame years and it worked fine, but now his game apparently can't move past whenever he joins any more. Any ideas?

Apparently this is a common problem. Also there's seemingly no way to debug this at all :negative:

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Mister Adequate posted:

Austrians and Germans are the same thing :colbert:
Literally Hitler.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

I would love a mod that let you give planets and starports missiles and fighters

Hmm. Not planets, but extra Starport Fighters...and some extra stuff too.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802551283

Adding extra weapon types to the starport has also been done.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=794289749

Put these two together and they can be quite formidable if you choose. A powerful fleet will still hurt, but I imagine alongside those modules that improve starport weapons and such if they turn up and their inherent strength these days they should be quite nasty.

And if you really wanted to get nasty....

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791497743

Tachyon Lance spaceports.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ulmont posted:

Maybe a mod that gave blockading the same effect as capturing?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My only issue with ground combat is actually making the armies. If we had an army builder like some people are wanting a fleet builder where you can just say "I want X divisions of Y unit, all with the psi warrior attachment" and then press one button to queue up a build order for all of it it'd be just fine.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:agreed:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Absolutely. Having to manually attach all of the army mods gets tiring.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I realized there are army attachments only recently and I still don't use them. You can just spam assault armies.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Army mods?

I get the feeling I'm missing something here. I mostly just make 24 divisions of troops, I dump them all on a planet, wait until they win, and then embark everyone again. Repeat until the war is won, the end.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, the "cost" of armies is in clicks. It costs less clicks to just build more troops than to try to improve them with attachments. Military in the game isn't a fight between fleets or armies, it's a fight between the number of clicks to manage your military and build up a warscore. The AI knows this and will do everything it can not to win, but to force you to click more and delay things in the hopes that you just peace out early or quit the game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My problem is that the ground game is utterly and completely irrelevant. There's no strategy surrounding troops; a player with a strong army is going to lose every war against a player with a strong fleet. The best way to defeat a strong army is to take them out before they even reach the planet, and the only reason armies are vulnerable in space is because you can't make starships that have troop capacity. IMO it's the worst part of what is otherwise a genuinely amazing game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My problem is that the ground game is utterly and completely irrelevant. There's no strategy surrounding troops; a player with a strong army is going to lose every war against a player with a strong fleet. The best way to defeat a strong army is to take them out before they even reach the planet, and the only reason armies are vulnerable in space is because you can't make starships that have troop capacity. IMO it's the worst part of what is otherwise a genuinely amazing game.

Yeah, army management and ground combat and the warscore/peace system are the 2 things that really stick that are outright bad and not working. Everything else is pretty good, could have more content or be fleshed out more of course, but those two things are outright bad and make me not want to play.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Replacing specialized armies and transport ships with ship modules would do (as was suggested plenty of times already). If your planet has clone vats (for example), you can produce ships with clone armies at the starport and you could tick that option in starport menu to add clone army module to ships, otherwise you use some more generic armies (xenomorph farms at the planet surface could even guarantee some nice events). You could sacrifice firepower for more army modules in ship designer, for example.
Your ship-based armies would invade after you destroy planet defenses or you can just invade the planet if you have overabundance of armies (same like CK2: siege or assault). That's my dream ground combat. Defense "armies" could be based on colony size and some buildings.

Transport ships models could be used for civilian ships and then... some form of supply limit should be implemented. Lack of these things bother me more than current ground combat. (also more diplomacy options)

(and please implement some form of raiding... and zoroastrians... maybe I should play CK2)

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 21, 2017

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Is the "Last, Best Hope" achivement bust? I just killed off both sides of the war in heaven event and i never got it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Blinks77 posted:

Is the "Last, Best Hope" achivement bust? I just killed off both sides of the war in heaven event and i never got it.

It works; I got it a month or so back. I think achievements are checked on like a six month or one year tick, rather then daily, so you may want to go for a year or so. Also often I don't see a pop up so you may want to exit the game and look at steam. (See earlier in thread for me not realizing I got an achievement today).

Now for last best hope I think you do have to do the total victory war in heaven win condition to boot out each FE.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

ulmont posted:

Now for last best hope I think you do have to do the total victory war in heaven win condition to boot out each FE.

I mayyy have screwed it up? I simply ignored them, didn't sign up to anything and then just annexed them both one after the other.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Blinks77 posted:

I mayyy have screwed it up? I simply ignored them, didn't sign up to anything and then just annexed them both one after the other.
"Lead the non-aligned powers to victory against an awakened empire." I hope you have a save from before the war somewhere.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Blinks77 posted:

For last, best hope you have to specifically lead the League of Non-Aligned Powers, which after founding will be tossed into war with both FEs.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Dwesa posted:

"Lead the non-aligned powers to victory against an awakened empire." I hope you have a save from before the war somewhere.

Ahhh, i thought that meant just. Well. Not signing up to either of their sides. Didn't really realise it was a full on faction itself. Ah well, lessons for next time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, army management and ground combat and the warscore/peace system are the 2 things that really stick that are outright bad and not working. Everything else is pretty good, could have more content or be fleshed out more of course, but those two things are outright bad and make me not want to play.
I'd be OK with the warscore system if war itself wasn't so annoying. I find multiple miniwars frustrating because the wars aren't fun. If there was some kind of incentive not to doomstack, auto-fleet refilling, and less kludgey invasions then it would be a whole different experience.

Dwesa posted:

Replacing specialized armies and transport ships with ship modules would do (as was suggested plenty of times already). If your planet has clone vats (for example), you can produce ships with clone armies at the starport and you could tick that option in starport menu to add clone army module to ships, otherwise you use some more generic armies (xenomorph farms at the planet surface could even guarantee some nice events).
Yes please :allears:

Are there any events linked to clone vats? Never built them.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah i wish it could be viable to focus on troops and neglect ships a little bit. Wanna send commando teams.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Espionage and sabotage are something Stellaris is definitely missing.

I guess you can support the independence of vassals and the like, but it really isn't the same.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The only time I've found land army forces to matter is when an event goes terribly wrong and a planet is invaded by titanic life or terraforming goes terribly wrong and hordes of ravenous mutants begin infesting my countryside. This is because, maybe due to bug, maybe mod, I found I still technically owned those planets, so I couldn't bombard them, and in turn the enemy was big enough that I needed an extremely substantial army to dislodge them - like, more then 30 troops, easily.

The last one was especially annoying because they put the planet on auto-purge to remove everyone, and the rest of my pops immediately began screaming at me for purging people even though I didn't purge them, it was the goddamn mutants

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

oddium posted:

remove custom ships and replace them with three tech trees of fixed stats kinetic/missile/laser ships

this is the most correct sentence in this thread so far. gently caress custom units

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

this is the most correct sentence in this thread so far. gently caress custom units

Yeah, it feels like giving players too much control over things like ship design has affected the balance. I'd love it if they'd let you play with what the hulls looked like without affecting the loadouts.

Stellaris should probably take a few steps further away from 4X and more towards their usual grand strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yes the ship designer and planetary landings / combat feel like features which only exist because they're things that people expect a space 4x game to have. I certainly wouldn't miss these if they were removed, there's nothing fun and compelling about them, they're just something you have to interact with occasionally while playing the 'real' game.

• Locked thread