Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

2house2fly posted:

It's so nice to meet the irradiated ones, which have no armour, and send them to hollow-point hell.

Without the Living Anatomy perk, I always just assumed they were armored like the regular kind, which made the Courier's Mile more difficult than it strictly needed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Byzantine posted:

Divide Deathclaws have special high-level forms. If you're above level 45, they do 350 damage a hit.

what the gently caress

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The fact that everything that happens in CoD: Infinite Warfare takes place over the course of one day is pretty stupid.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

food court bailiff posted:

Anyway, that's one of the few things I really don't like about Morrowind: once you have Tribunal installed, there's a flat chance you're going to get attacked when you try to rest by an assassin, and that chance is pretty high. If you don't have a pretty drat good idea what you're doing, the early levels are pretty dangerous, and since health and magicka only restore when you sleep or use a potion you're probably going to end up resting at level 1 or 2. At that point, the assassins can be a serious challenge. But...I don't think they scale up with level at all, so if you got Tribunal after playing vanilla for a while you'd be so godlike that it's insane to try to assassinate you anyway. They're kind of an awkward encounter no matter when they show up, doubly so if you're just sleeping in some random NPC's house while they stand downstairs staring at a wall.

If you have the patience to do so, the bedroll in the processing office in Seyda Neen has a script on it that prevents the assassins from attacking when you rest there.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I'm sure it's been said already but I wish Bethesda would get someone to build them a new engine or something because Jesus christ everything is still in cells.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

RobotDogPolice posted:

I'm sure it's been said already but I wish Bethesda would get someone to build them a new engine or something because Jesus christ everything is still in cells.

Be careful what you wish for.

*20 minute wait to load entire map, crashes 5 seconds into the game.*

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
The only reason I'm vaguely okay with the current era-old engine is because it still lends itself to modding extremely easily. I just know it'd be the last thing on their priorities.

Before anyone tries to snark "how about they make a game that doesn't need mods" I mostly like the "new content" type of mod as opposed to rebalancing etc.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Another Resident Evil 4 thing: There's a sort of linear weapon progression in this game, where the weapons you can buy later are generally a bit better than the ones you can buy before, but if you keep upgrading some of the earlier guns, you can get something with kind of a different focus. Like for the handguns, you may prefer more power per shot from the Red9 or a higher volume of fire from the Blacktail, but they're both basically viable, or you can just keep using the handgun you start with and get a higher critical hit chance. If you stick with the bolt-action rifle instead of the semi-auto, you can get an absolutely crazy firepower upgrade for its exclusive. So instead of getting the ultimate shotgun (the striker) this time through I stuck with the intermediate one (the Riot Gun.) Except its exclusive upgrade is just... kind of underwhelming. Like it's supposedly a big firepower boost, but it's only 8.0 to 10.0, which is really no better than the Striker but without its giant ammunition pool. I guess there might be some hidden mechanics to it but as far as what the game tells you, it's a disappointment.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

StandardVC10 posted:

Another Resident Evil 4 thing: There's a sort of linear weapon progression in this game, where the weapons you can buy later are generally a bit better than the ones you can buy before, but if you keep upgrading some of the earlier guns, you can get something with kind of a different focus. Like for the handguns, you may prefer more power per shot from the Red9 or a higher volume of fire from the Blacktail, but they're both basically viable, or you can just keep using the handgun you start with and get a higher critical hit chance. If you stick with the bolt-action rifle instead of the semi-auto, you can get an absolutely crazy firepower upgrade for its exclusive. So instead of getting the ultimate shotgun (the striker) this time through I stuck with the intermediate one (the Riot Gun.) Except its exclusive upgrade is just... kind of underwhelming. Like it's supposedly a big firepower boost, but it's only 8.0 to 10.0, which is really no better than the Striker but without its giant ammunition pool. I guess there might be some hidden mechanics to it but as far as what the game tells you, it's a disappointment.

I don't know about everyone else, but I got the broken butterfly and hoarded ammo for it and abused the various ammo exploits via upgrading it and just used it to destroy any boss fight. It's a good gun.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

berenzen posted:

The sound they make, and the capabilities that they have to swarm you like crazy as they just straight up ignore terrain.

Many years ago I stumbled too far out into the ashlands and got pursued by a flock of cliff racers. I'd found loads of great loot I didn't want to lose, but I only had a pathetic amount of health.

I ended up stripping naked, chugging a potion of fortify jump, and bouncing across the hilltops until I reached safety.

Dynamic storytelling!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

StandardVC10 posted:

If I remember right, the Riot Shotgun has a quicker aim and turn, compared to the other two. The first shotgun is really strong, and the Striker holds a ton of loving shells (only 100!), but the Riot Shotgun can whip up and around like nobody's business.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Max Ammo on the Striker makes it contain infinite shells.

I always hated redoing the Krauser QTE

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tropico 4: Sometimes you can get a ton of unemployed people, yet all your high school and college jobs are nearly empty. Go get a an education you fuckers! I have the social security edict active! YOU GET PAID TO GO TO SCHOOL!

E: Also there are a few things in the game that take a while to warm up to give you the best benefit... and it takes so long by the time you get the full benefit you can do without it. The Academy of Science can reduce blueprints cost to 50%. I built one pretty early on actually and at this point where I can comfortably buy whatever blueprints I want its only to 40% discount after like 10 years. Banks giving discounts for building stuff? By the time you get to that 60% discount you would of already had the infrastructure to build 3 or more banks plus giving all of them college educations.

Leal has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Jan 22, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Leal posted:

Tropico 4: Sometimes you can get a ton of unemployed people, yet all your high school and college jobs are nearly empty. Go get a an education you fuckers! I have the social security edict active! YOU GET PAID TO GO TO SCHOOL!

Nah, that's hard.

E: On second thought, your game could be mirroring real life in which your higher education jobs managers refusing to hire any graduates that don't have ~10 years experience.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Jan 22, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe I'm just a dumb who missed it, but I wish there was some way in Crusader Kings 2 to make two nations fight each other, or a quicker way to start a civil war than chain assassinating kings until you get a hunchbacked lunatic infant on the throne. I've got a 25 Martial leader but everyone I could use him on has an empire the size of the goddamn moon, and now I've got him knocking his heels together until I'm done with infanticide.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Leal posted:

E: Also there are a few things in the game that take a while to warm up to give you the best benefit... and it takes so long by the time you get the full benefit you can do without it. The Academy of Science can reduce blueprints cost to 50%. I built one pretty early on actually and at this point where I can comfortably buy whatever blueprints I want its only to 40% discount after like 10 years. Banks giving discounts for building stuff? By the time you get to that 60% discount you would of already had the infrastructure to build 3 or more banks plus giving all of them college educations.

The fix to that is raising the pay rate by $5- $10 for high school and college educated citizens.
Pay raise can be done per job type or set globally via education level.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My companions can die in Skyrim. They should be knocked out for the battle but they shouldn't be able to be permanently killed.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

oldpainless posted:

My companions can die in Skyrim. They should be knocked out for the battle but they shouldn't be able to be permanently killed.

They only can if you hit them. You careless monster.

(oldaimless)

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

AlphaKretin posted:

What can they expect when they run directly in front of my arrows/bullets, ineffectively tapping their melee weapons at our enemies?

(I've never had a companion in a Bethesda game that wasn't anything but a blundering liability.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm like 99.9% sure I wasn't even near my companion when she died

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

(oldaimless)

I think it depends on the companion. Important ones like Lydia, I don't think die unless you murder them. Dudes you hire from an inn will just kick it when a bandit looks at them shifty. I just know half my companions vanish when I fast travel then I get money.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

oldpainless posted:

I'm like 99.9% sure I wasn't even near my companion when she died

Stop shooting her with arrows then.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

AlphaKretin posted:

(oldaimless)

Only some of them, most of them can die from being killed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It saddens me that the new graphical arms race in games isn't with better looking food. Sonic Unleashed had unnecessarily amazing looking food, and FF15's looked even better. Make that the new thing - who can get the most players to salivate like the game was headed by Pavlov?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

(oldaimless)

Most of the time when an important companion is killed they'll just go into that wounded pose where they take a knee until their health regens or the fight ends or whatever the trigger is, but they can still be killed while in that pose. Usually this means you have to kill them since enemies will immediately ignore them when they go down and they don't generate aggro, but every now and then you can get real unlucky and an enemy spraying around magic at random will hit them anyway without specifically trying to. Once I was fighting with Lydia in a dungeon where you fight both Falmer and Dwemer automatons and she got killed by either a Centurion's steam attack or a shaman's lighting spell because she was in its area of effect when she went down and it was still being cast when she took a knee.

So it's unusual, but it's possible to lose a companion by an enemy's hand.

I've always felt like "can't die unless you specifically kill them" would be a good work around for the essential NPCs in Bethesda games. It would keep you from being unable to finish the main quest because an important character wandered into the woods and got eaten by a bear while you were in the next town over, but you could still have the cool Morrowind thing going on where you can kill whoever and gently caress up the quests if you wanted to.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lydia got smacked into orbit by one of the giants, so I don't know if she's alive or dead.

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Lydia got smacked into orbit by one of the giants, so I don't know if she's alive or dead.

That glitch/feature only happens on kills, so she's dead

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fallout: New Vegas KEEPS loving CRASHING ON ME

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

spit on my clit posted:

Fallout: New Vegas KEEPS loving CRASHING ON ME
This literally made the game playable for me: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So Way of the Samurai 4 has a weapon crafting system. You pick up a sword, break it down into component parts and can build a sword out of any grip, guard and blade. Sounds pretty cool aside from the fact that 90% of the blades are exactly the same. Except every time you take a weapon apart the abilities on the parts are randomized and you need to get three of a kind on a weird 3x3 grid to give your sword a special ability. On harder difficulties these abilities are almost mandatory unless you want to be doing terrible chip damage against enemies and die instantly forever. So it becomes a really annoying process of getting sword parts and making, breaking down and rebuilding swords until you finally get the abilities you want, with the stats you need so you can max it out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

What can they expect when they run directly in front of my arrows/bullets, ineffectively tapping their melee weapons at our enemies?

(I've never had a companion in a Bethesda game that wasn't anything but a blundering liability.)

They'd be useful for carrying extra stuff, except that you can't tell them to hang back and not get into fights. Or walk into traps. Or get in your way.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is going to sound like a more all over complaint for a game:

There's an XBox Live Indie game called "ArcadeCraft" It's a few years old, I sort of bought it on a bit of a lark based on the demo and review and all I can sort of think it that it is fun for a single playthrough, if that, but just the lack of variety and scale hurts it so much. It's a concept I really like, I want to play some goofy business/tycoon style management sims that have some polish to them on the 360, but it tried playing it again recently and it was just frustrating dull. For a game about building an arcade, it feels so restricted in actually building a customized arcade.

The concept is that it's the early 80s and you open an arcade. You buy machines, put them up, etc. But after that, there doesn't really feel like there's anything to do. It should have sacrificed the confined 3D single environment with large avatars and gone more retro 2D with the set-up and give you a lot more room to convert your arcade into something 'more' than that over the years, have actual sprites in the game taking up room in your arcade to show how traffic for games and popularity works.

If this game had been something that looked more 2D or something like a 90s isometric , I think it would have so much more room for actually being incredible for, well, 'Arcade Crafting'. Maybe you could actually expand your arcade's floors pace and add more amusements to be a better representation of that 80s era of arcade gaming stuff. You could start to maybe build your place into actually unique and custom amusement centers based on maybe what sort of arcade you wanted to run. Did you want to become a Showbiz styled family place? A college barcade? A hip-teen hangout? Throw in a Laser Tag arena? Etc.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Jan 23, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
A lot of Tycoon games suffer from not really thinking out the concept very far. They get as far as "wouldn't it be neat if you could run X" and then not really plan how to make that engaging or a long term idea.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I remember a quest in Oblivion where you rescued a guy, just a normal peasant, and he'd have dialogue like 'Thank the Nine you found me! Please help me out of this place!' and then attempt to kill every enemy in the dungeon with his bare fists.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Walton Simons posted:

I remember a quest in Oblivion where you rescued a guy, just a normal peasant, and he'd have dialogue like 'Thank the Nine you found me! Please help me out of this place!' and then attempt to kill every enemy in the dungeon with his bare fists.

Or the quest that gave you the unique blue glass sword if the dude's two sons lived through a fight. Except they would both just run in front of you trying to punch an ogre to death or something.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Just finished Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I know it's silly and over the top, but what's with the awful pubescent rocket engineer character that comes out of nowhere? It adds nothing interesting to the plot. I could handle the weird pidgin speaking boy earlier, but the whole sequence at the rocket launch facility just creeped me out.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Afriscipio posted:

Just finished Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I know it's silly and over the top, but what's with the awful pubescent rocket engineer character that comes out of nowhere? It adds nothing interesting to the plot. I could handle the weird pidgin speaking boy earlier, but the whole sequence at the rocket launch facility just creeped me out.

Sunny was a major character in MGS4. She and Raiden are buds.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Walton Simons posted:

Early on in the first Witcher game you can protect a barmaid from some thugs harassing her (by killing them!) Afterwards she asks you to walk her home. At this point you probably have another quest to light some shrines between the bar and the village, and you'll have to deal with some ghostly wolves who try to stop you from doing so. The barmaid will gladly help you out fighting these spectral hounds even though she has no weapon.

Luckily there is a secondary route to the village that is free from spooky canines so you escort the barmaid home without her dying, because this unexpected berserker isn't flagged as an invincible NPC.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Afriscipio posted:

she's insanely smart as a result of unforseen side-effects when Solid Snake repeatedly shot her pregnant mum with tranq darts in a MGS2 boss fight. this is canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Afriscipio posted:

Are you being sarcastic? It's pretty obvious she's someone from the wider Metal Gear series, which fair enough if you're not familiar with it, but you should be aware you're missing some context.